NEW PING iBLADE IN 2020?

uglande

That's along the lines that I am thinking - splitting the space between the Blueprint and the G series. Last time iBlade was released, Ping had originally wanted to make it a little bigger, but their pro staff protested. Now those on staff that want a blade appearance have it

'i59' would blend the i Series naming convention with the S series naming convention of a number (previously, 59, 58, 57, 56, 55)

• Like 1

Thats been trademarked for a few years now. It was added to the list not long after the original Iblade was released.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Man, this wait is really starting to hurt. Absolutely love cast players irons as I typically hold onto a set for years before I go new. My s56's are getting long in the tooth and I'm really, really hoping that Ping offers something in this line for the upcoming season.

That said, I probably wouldn't be too disappointed just getting some iBlades. Still some great sticks. Just a mental pain to buy "new" when they are almost 4 years old now.

Hoping someone can get some info in the next month or so.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no info, but by the sound i59 it would lend credence to maybe a continuation of the i500. Perhaps they will just dump the i500 and i210 into one iron that "fills the gap" between the already slimmed down G410 and the true "players" club in the Blueprint. The i59 could be a blend of the i500 in the long irons that moves progressively to a more tour inspired general cavity back at the bottom end of the bag. Taylormade has had some success with this in the P760 and Mizuno is obviously doing decently well with the HMB thus far. They could offer 3 different lofts like they have on the current i210 and i500, making it something like a 30* 6i on the "retro" spec, a more typical player's distance "standard" loft, and then your "power spec" for the guys who need to lower spin or just want that extra club of oomph without the effort. Most traditional guys like less offset anyways, and guys who are chasing distance need a bit more offset usually anyways to help hit it higher and draw a bit more.

Looking at the G710 it looks like they have already mastered how to blend the hollow cavity and cavity back design into one clean head. Plus the new Stealth Hydropearl looks super sharp and is likely extremely durable. I had my Glide 2.0 Stealths for 2 full seasons and they didn't even look like they had a mark on them, comparatively to other dark finishes available.

Pure speculation on my end but it would be a cool prospect.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

To me the fact that they slimmed down the G710 combined with the lack of popularity of the i500 when compared to some other competitors would indicate to me that the G710 will be their only hollow iron. I think Ping is trying to slim down the number of products they are offering and I could see the i59 being a cross between the old S series and current I series. That would mean the forgiveness and head size between the two with the looks and offset of the S series. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I also think they want an iron that can combo better with the blueprint than the i210. Then they would only be offering 4 irons that could fit most any golfer. . Blueprint for better players, I210 for mid to low handicaps, and G410 and G710 for higher handicaps. Right now depending on how you count the iBlade they have 6 irons on offer

I see it from another perspective. Every OEM now has the hollow model for distance players clubs. I cannot see Ping not competing in that segment.

In addition, sooner or later the successor of the iblades will be released. And if you count on refresh of i210, this will keep the count of Ping's offer to 6 heads.

G710

G425

i5x0

i2x0

Blueprint

i59

See I agree with you. Every OEM has a "player's distance" type of iron, hollow or not. For Ping to just abandon it after some less-than-projected sales is not in their style. They only make something if it works, and if something works, they fully believe in it and will stick with it, looks and feel be darned. I have only seen them abandon something once, the fully forged Anser irons. Even they got 4 years out of them with the original and then the updated 2013 model before they called it quits. I still don't know why those flopped, they were a forged tungsten-infused i20/i25. Literally the club people are still asking for to this day and when it was available nobody wanted it. Yet the cast versions, the i20/i25, you have to pry out of people's hands they love them so much. I don't get it, behind the ball they looked the same, head shape and sole interaction were basically the same.

I don't think there will be an i510, i220, and i59. It just doesn't make sense to try and cannibalize themselves with 3 different iron sets doing virtually the same thing. The i name has always been their mid handicap offering, so for them to have something that is super small, with little offset but have some sort of tech, well that's the i500, essentially. The naming scheme also makes me think it will be more in line with an i500-style club too as I pointed out, since they release clubs as serial iterations i5x makes sense to be an i500 replacement. All they have to do is mute it somehow and they will sell boatloads of them. The most common complaint was that it didn't feel great but nobody turned their noses up at the performance that I saw.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Unfortunately they took way too long and knowing my luck this comes out now. Had my once every other year fit and got put into a combo set of Titleist 620 CB's and T100's in the long irons. Maybe something will exist next time. I will hold onto my iBlades for practice at the house after I get them matched to my new specs as well.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

It would seem the evolution of Ping irons has been a tungsten toe weight, improved hydro pearl finish, and better sound and face flex like the G710. So, it would seem the toe weight would be in an iBlade 2.0 and i510 that are speculated to be released this spring. I would also speculate the i510 would have a similar shape in the back as the Blueprint and G410 crossover, and I would expect the finish to be similart to the Blueprint and Glide wedges. Ping is so secretive but I was pleasantly surprised at the evolution of the G7 series: better sound, black finish (slimmer look benefit), therefore the face adjustments would also be present in the i510. The i and G series seem to operate on their 18 month release dates while there tour based products like Blueprint, iBlade, and S series are an as needed basis. My simple opinion and observations based on the history and trends. However, Ping is so secretive that Ping only knows whats coming.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;

It's not speed that's the requirement for hitting them. It's probably more about the considerably more exacting course conditions Tour Pros encounter, compared to the average person. Their margins are rather more precise than most of the rest of us.

And/or confidence levels. If you're not used to playing something such as that, it can be quite an adjustment. Other pros will go to a 2 iron, though most have set that aside for trajectory or launch condition concerns.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I hope not, the i500 is probably the worst of the "distance" irons.

I hope Ping checked out the competition and picked up a Wilson D7 Forged or a Cobra Forged Tec. They do it different, but they both do that category quite well.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

And the G700 was probably the worst feeling GI out at the time as well, yet they release a new iteration with improved feel. I don't expect the i500 to go away just yet. I've definitely been wrong before but I think it's too large a market for them to abandon. The G710 is still pretty beefy and retains the large offset numbers of the G700. The i500 had the same offset and topline as the iBlade and previous S-series offerings. I don't see how the 710 is a blend of the 700 and i500 at all except in being hollow, really.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel like they could just put some of that elastomer from the S55 down in there somewhere. Probably take care of it.

Although I don't mind the sound or feel. Not much different to me on clean hits. I expect ping irons to feel like total crap and sound bad when I miss...

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...