If you found it, would you share?

N0rs3man ·  
N0rs3manN0rs3man Members  113WRX Points: 47Posts: 113 Fairways
Joined:  edited Jun 5, 2019 in Hogan's Heroes Swing Forum #1

If you actually stumbled across Hogan famed secret, would you actually share it? Is Hogan secret different for everyone? Is it just that one little tweek that makes it all come together for you alone?

Posted:
Post edited by N0rs3man on

PXG 0811XF Gen. 2 HZRDUS ProjectX shaft
King Cobra ROUGE X shaft woods
Sterling single length irons
Random putter

Comments

• LyinEyeLyinEye Members  353WRX Points: 164Posts: 353 Greens

Heavens no! Why give away the mine once the nugget is found.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9036WRX Points: 2,681Posts: 9,036 Titanium Tees

Hogan's secret is pretty well known/documented, you can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen.

Posted:

On -, @Krt22 said:

Hogan's secret is pretty well known/documented, you can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen.

Some say it's hidden somewhere within Lee Trevino's classic book on golf instruction called Five Lessons- The Modern Fundamentals of Golf.

Posted:
  • TalldogTalldog Members  20WRX Points: 36Posts: 20 Bunkers

If I did share it, nobody would believe me.

Posted:
  • AlexCzervicAlexCzervic Members  728WRX Points: 90Posts: 728 Golden Tee

Hogan told the secret but you dont swing like Hogan. What did Hogan say about the hands in later years? What did Snead say about Hogans hands? The cup was Hogans secret.

Posted:
  • TaddNOhioTaddNOhio Members  145WRX Points: 115Posts: 145 Fairways

On -, @Ping's Duck said:

On -, @Krt22 said:

Some say it's hidden somewhere within Lee Trevino's classic book on golf instruction called Five Lessons- The Modern Fundamentals of Golf.

Lee Trevino's book ?

Posted:

Advertisement

Just smackin' K22 upside the head for conflating Hogan's treasured flight with Trevino's quote. The nerve.....

Posted:
  • theeaglequesttheeaglequest Members  14WRX Points: 43Posts: 14 Bunkers

I did and I will share it. Just ask:)

Posted:
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1108WRX Points: 182Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,108 Platinum Tees

I doubt it’s a single tiny tweak. Isn’t he the one that’s always said the secret is in the dirt?

Posted:
  • JeselnikJeselnik Members  14WRX Points: 9Posts: 14 Bunkers

Prerequisites:

1. Right anchor.
    2. Maximum radius (TGM) backswing with left hand pronation to cup(secret).
    3. Maximum radius (TGM) downswing.
    4. AFTER pivot training, intent to move handS controls EVERYTHING. DO NOT PULL WITH LEFT.
    5. Keep shaft loaded. Provides feedback for CPU. This also appears to be a secret.

***right arm structure required, see ‘extensor action’. (TGM). Extensor action took awhile, rest was relatively easy. Another secret?

Piece of cake. 🎂 Not really, if you play a few times a year just move your hands and have a good time.

JNIK

Posted:
    Post edited by Jeselnik on
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32464WRX Points: 2,437Posts: 32,464 Titanium Tees

Heck yes! Too many miserable golfers out there.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Advertisement
  • moehoganmoehogan Members  1092WRX Points: 154Posts: 1,092 Platinum Tees

Extensor action, not tensor action.

As AC alluded to, Snead called out the "what" but not the "how". The "cup" was apparent in pre-secret swings, IMO.

Posted:
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5639WRX Points: 368Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,639 Titanium Tees

IF you found it and IF you decided to share it, no one would believe you.

As mentioned, it was revealed many moons ago.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 3D 10.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Accra TZ5-95H
    PING S55 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  Mitsubishi MMT-125 TX (9-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • JeselnikJeselnik Members  14WRX Points: 9Posts: 14 Bunkers

Thanks........If pivot is trained to respond to hands, you have mobility in thoracic spine and you pronate, there is a good chance you will feel and understand. - OR - Just go have fun.

JNIK

Posted:
  • laneholtlaneholt Members  732WRX Points: 100Posts: 732 Golden Tee

FYI,

Actually - the pivot ( body ) does NOT have to be trained to respond to the HANDS. The Human body is genetically designed to react to and obey hand movements that they receive from the brain. Most are in the subconscious and taken for granted. Golf swing is NOT in the Human subconscious. It is a learned action .The hands are the dominant part of the body and control body movement. IMO, their is NO secret to the golf swing. Success lies in controlling the HANDS .

Lane

Posted:
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5520WRX Points: 468Posts: 5,520 Titanium Tees

Yes, because it probably won't work for me anyway.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Advertisement

Dan ,

Don’t know why it wouldn’t. Hogan was no Superman. His Human structure was just like ours. IMO, he just figured out some things . I believe he was a very smart man.

Check this out ——- Cortical Homunculus.

Lane

Posted:
  • Nels55Nels55 Members  26WRX Points: 32Handicap: 9Posts: 26 Bunkers

My opinion on the secret is that basically it was joke. At some point possibly right from the start Hogan realized that it was a way to get into other golfers heads. So much the better if the pros he was competing against thought that he had figured out some mystical secret.

"He said there's three ways to beat somebody: You outwork them, you out-think them and then you intimidate them," says 1964 U.S. Open winner Ken Venturi about Ben Hogan

https://www.espn.com/sportscentury/features/00014236.html

Posted:

Nels55,

IMO, I expect their were other pros in that era that also worked very hard . Maybe as hard as Mr. Hogan, but Mr. Hogan discovered how to control his HANDS which is the key to great ball striking and that is still the key ( secret if your like ) today!

The myth was perpetrated that Henry Picard taught Mr. Hogan , but my discussions with Mr.Picards Son lead me to believe otherwise. I think Mr. Hogan discovered how to control the shaft and face with his HANDS and didn’t want to share with his competition. IMO, Mr. Hogan’s statement in his book , “ I wish I had three right hands, “ was misinterpreted by all !

Lane

Posted:
  • StonebridgeStonebridge Members  386WRX Points: 85Handicap: 0.0Posts: 386 Greens

You will learn many things about improving your own swing, if you practice with irons with negative bounce and flat lie angles.

Posted:
  • alansmithdcalansmithdc Members  197WRX Points: 78Posts: 197 Fairways

What does negative bounce on the irons mean? Sw thru 1 iron should all have negative bounces? How is this fitting accomplished?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal.Members  1108WRX Points: 182Handicap: 7.4Posts: 1,108 Platinum Tees

His secret “is in the dirt”. He worked really hard and it paid off.

I'm an idiot, said this as much beforehand. Oops.

Posted:
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  281WRX Points: 164Posts: 281 Greens

I have, and obviously, I haven't.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.