2020 Driver Trackman Data (Taylormade, Callaway, Cobra, Ping,)

TollBros ·  
TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test RangeSponsors  5025WRX Points: 333Posts: 5,025 Titanium Tees

We figured since we've had all these in house for a bit that we might as well release the test data on the heads for sake of comparison. I'll do them in blocks based on swing speed every few days.

All drivers will be set up with a custom shaft and fitted specs for each player in the test. The purpose of this test is to compare heads on very well struck shots with shaft product that is fitted to each player. This is not in any way a test of these drivers in "stock" configuration. Each and every player should be fitted into the correct combination for them for optimal repeatability in ball striking, which is what we did here.

Also this data is provided free of charge for informational purposes. We use this data and shaft information to fit customers so we will not be giving out specs on shafts, tipping or set up. However if you would like to go through this process, we offer online evaluations free of charge with purchase of driver or shaft. A simple good faith $40 fee is all we ask, which is 100% applicable toward purchase of the recommended product.

Just a reminder that we do carry all major OEM brands, as well as select Tour and prototype products. We can do full custom builds and will price match any authorized dealer's non sale advertised pricing.

Posted:
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
Post edited by TollBros on

Comments

• sanjaygolfsanjaygolf Members  1332WRX Points: 65Posts: 1,332 Platinum Tees

Thanks for doing this. Any chance you could share the shaft or shafts being used for each head?

Posted:
    G410 LST 10.5 Accra TZ5 65 M5
    TS3 15 Rombax P95 X
    712U 2i PXI 6.5 // 712 AP2/CB DG TI X100
    SM4 52 / SM6 56 /  60 DG TI S400
    TaylorMade Spider X
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors  5025WRX Points: 333Posts: 5,025 Titanium Tees

Shaft will be different for every player. We use aftermarket shafts suited for each individual player.

Posted:

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • JayshaftJayshaft Greenville, MIMembers  403WRX Points: 61Handicap: 7.7Posts: 403 Greens

Following for updates! Thank you for sharing the data

Posted:
  • BtbthfBtbthf Members  50WRX Points: 19Posts: 50 Bunkers

So all heads from this year are shorter than the older M series testing you did in your previous post(based on numbers I am assuming JT was tester 1 in the previous test)?

Looks like ballspeeds are down 2-3mph vs the ‘16 m2 and ‘18 m3/4 resulting in -10ish yards of carry

Any idea why this is would be other than human factors?

Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9653WRX Points: 1,602Posts: 9,653 Titanium Tees

Looks like SIM is the ultimate spin killer this year...For guys with speed who have fairly high launch angles this looks really good. Might get sketchy if you tend to turn the ball over a bit though.

I'll be tuned in to see other swing speeds posted.

Posted:
    D - SIM Max | Tour Z Xtreme 475; 4w - SIM Ti | Diamana B 80; 4h - 818H2 | Tensei White 90; Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120; GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue; SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue; LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue; P - Toulon San Diego or Directed Force 2.1; Ball - TP5 Pix 2.0

Incoming gear: Speedzone Xtreme 9* Driver,  Speedzone 5w, Speedzone 4i & 5i

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9284WRX Points: 2,916Posts: 9,284 Titanium Tees

Assuming these are all at stock length/headweight?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors  5025WRX Points: 333Posts: 5,025 Titanium Tees

I wouldn't say that. It all depends on the tester on each individual day. Remember it's cold here right now too so temp, wind, etc all come into play to some degree. You shouldn't compare numbers from a year ago to today, just compare the products tested last week to one another. That's why when testing products for comparison, they all have to be hit on the same day, same session, to make a valid comparison. Get me on a 95 degree mid summer day with a couple days of hitting rest in between and I can still sniff 130mph and 190 ball speed, but that's not realistic course swings, nor can I keep that up for 200 swings. Haha

Posted:

All drivers in each block are set up for each individual player. The purpose here is to compare HEADS directly, not shafts in this test. Every player will have a shaft, length, swingweight, etc that suits them and their swing. We are not testing stock shafts and stock specs, only comparisons between products.

Posted:

• hurley999shurley999s Members  760WRX Points: 366Posts: 760 Golden Tee

Nice. Thanks for doing this JT. I’ll be following.

Posted:
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of HockeyClubWRX  7801WRX Points: 321Handicap: 7.1Posts: 7,801 Titanium Tees

Thanks I can’t wait to see more.

Posted:
    Atmos Blue 6S
     Atmos Red 7S
    Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Scotty T22 Newport
    Pro V1x /

WITB Link
  • molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MOMembers  180WRX Points: 120Posts: 180 Fairways

I noticed in a fitting video that the SIM was spinning a good 500-700 RPM less than the other clubs. Regarding the Speedzone, did you have other shafts that helped get the spin a little lower, but perhaps didn't give the best results in terms of dispersion or solid hits?

Posted:

Advertisement

There are always multiple options for every player. Assuming I wanted to play one head in particular, the shaft choice might be completely different than with another head. The key is making sure you are fit into something that not only allows you to deliver the head consistently to the ball, but also produces excellent launch parameters. This is almost never a stock shaft, at stick length, with stock tipping, swingweight, grip, etc. A good stock shaft to me, means something you can sell off for a decent amount once you install the correct option for the player.

Posted:

• molecularmanmolecularman Joplin, MOMembers  180WRX Points: 120Posts: 180 Fairways

Let me rephrase the question:

Did you test other shafts during this session that offered a lower spin with the speedzone than what the final results show? And if so, why did you ultimately go with a shaft/head combo that produced more spin?

Posted:
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5778WRX Points: 452Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,778 Titanium Tees

Marked for future consumption.

Posted:
    JBeam BM-435 Blackout 9* Accra TZ5 65 M5
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382 M5
    Exotics CBX 22* Accra TZ5-95H M5
    PING S55 5-P Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 60 Mitsubishi MMT-125 TX (9-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • BtbthfBtbthf Members  50WRX Points: 19Posts: 50 Bunkers

Didn’t realize you did your testing outdoors? That would seem to bring a lot of extra variables into play that make comparisons even on the same day difficult.

My prior thinking was that the swing speeds between the two the two tests were very close(125ish) and spin was fairly similar and they were both done in the winter so it may not be a perfect comparison but your test is making me think that the SIM may not be all it’s hyped up to be. There have been a lot of reports of people gaining significant ball speed(3-5mph) but i am a little skeptical now.

I am glad I picked up a back up M4 tour issue head and looks like I will be waiting for the Taylormade demo day at the club vs rushing out to golf galaxy to hit the SIM.

P.S. Thank you for all the insight and testing you do for the forum. JT, you and I have similar numbers and have more than once helped point me in the right direction including the M4 mentioned above

Posted:
  • shellbmbshellbmb Members  341WRX Points: 123Handicap: 0.0Posts: 341 Greens

Toll, you fit me for a XD60 which I still love. Currently in an M2 head. Will it play the same length in the SIM heads, or slightly shorter? I think it plays a bit shorter in the SIM Max head and even a tad shorter in the SIM head. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Posted:
    TM Sim 9 XD60 TX.  
    Taylormade M2 15 Kuro Kage DC XM 70 TX
    Titeist 818h2 19 Atmos Blue
    Srixon z785 Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX
    Ping Glide Stealth 54/60
    TM Spider Sightline Face Balanced

Advertisement
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3627WRX Points: 626Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,627 Titanium Tees

Awesome. I'm in a SIM. It's very, very good. Your numbers mirror what I saw in testing.

What weight configuration is SIM set to and what'syour preferred shot shape? Any of your team test with an extra weight in the front track?

Posted:
  • golfer55082golfer55082 Members  421WRX Points: 77Posts: 421 Greens

From the numbers I think SIM is too low spin for high swing speed players - it is ok for cut shots but the draw shots can become uncomfortable. I wonder if this is why Brooks Koepka switched to Mavrik Sub Zero in a recent tournament.

Posted:

Next block.

Posted:

Every different player tests with the shaft that best suits him in terms of delivering the head to the ball consistently. This isn't a fitting, it's just a head comparison. The purpose of this evaluation is simply to show the differences between the heads. I should say, all our test heads are digitally measured withing .3 degrees of loft, and .3 degrees of face angle. Pulling all these off of a retail shelf and hitting them will be much different, as manufacturer tolerances will swing the lofts and face angles up to 1.5-2 degrees at times. Our testing is very controlled in terms of head specs.

Posted:

I should say this again, all of our heads are within .3 degrees of loft and face angle from one another. As you know, pulling off a retail shelf will yield a significant variety of lofts and face angles just based on manufacturing tolerance. Some brands, and some heads are much closer to the stamped loft than others, so if you don't know that info, things could vary wildly in personal testing. That's why I stress, use this as information based ONLY on like spec'd heads, not random retail pulls. Also, SIM has been consistently the highest ball speed driver of the early year, coming close to the ball speeds we saw from 2016 M2 8.5 degree heads. Nothing up until now has really matched those Tour only 16' M2 heads. The Ping also has been outstanding and my vote for 2nd best of the year so far. It's also really good.

Posted:

Advertisement

I personally play a near straight ball with a soft leak cut of about 5 yards. And it's certainly possible to play double weights, and yes they will affect flight and numbers.

Posted:

Remember we are just comparing heads here. This is not a fitting. There are always loft or shaft adjustments that can be made to optimize numbers. That's not what's happening here. This is just a head comparison. My personal SIM is not set up like this one in testing.

Posted:

• jeff1727jeff1727 Members  221WRX Points: 68Handicap: 14Posts: 221 Fairways

“All Drivers will be set up with a custom shaft and fitted specs for each player in the test.” The shaft is fitted to suit the player not each individual club head. Stated they used a shaft that the player can consistently deliver the head to the ball with. I just focus on ball speed with these tests. Launch and spin can be dialed in with a proper fitting.

Posted:

Right. It's just a comparison of heads at different swing speeds. Assuming a player can only hit one of these with a shaft reasonably suited for them, this gives them some indication of differences based on identical specs. There aren't many bad drivers from major OEM's these days, but there are differences and some vary in spec much more wildly than others.

Posted:

I mean, it's a pretty simple question, and it's weird to me that it is being refused an answer.

Obviously a variety of shafts where tested with each head to find the best match for that tester. I simply asked if they had a lower spinning combo when they were trying various shafts. I've noticed from a few other videos/data points that the Speedzone appears to spin a tad more than other drivers. Again, seems like a pretty simple question. If you tried out 10 shafts with that head, did any of them end up giving less spin than the combo that was ultimately chosen for final testing? Am I in some alternative universe, or is that really that hard of a question?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jeff1727jeff1727 Members  221WRX Points: 68Handicap: 14Posts: 221 Fairways

They didn’t try different shafts with each head. The testers used the same shaft (that fits there swing characteristics) with each head. They used the same shaft in each head to represent the difference in each head. This showed that the speedzone did spin a little more compared to the others heads (with same shaft). To bring spin down in a fitting they would have used different shafts, weights, head loft, etc to optimize performance.

This was a test to see how each head performed with all other variables being the same (I.e shaft, tester).

Posted:
  • Whiskey_fireWhiskey_fire Members  1081WRX Points: 195Posts: 1,081 Platinum Tees

Any chance you would throw a Titleist in the mix just to compare?

Posted:
    Titleist TS3, 9.5, KKDC 60
    Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
    Titleist 818h2,19,  AD DI 105
     Titleist AP2 4-pw, Project X 
    Titleist Vokey 52,56, Project X 
    Taylormade HiToe 60, KBS $taper Black
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

Advertisement

That wasn't specified as they said "shafts" as in more than one shaft. Further, he said each player will be fitted into the correct combination. Again, that would mean not using the same shaft for each head. What's more, they would need to try a variety of shafts to find the best combo for that specific player. So again, I was simply asking if they noticed a shaft that was spinning less with the Speedzone. Unless they never tested any other shafts on the speedzone and simply fit a shaft on the speedzone which was fit for a different head. If that is the case, that's fine - but it'd be pretty easy to say that, no?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.