Talk me into or out of arm lock putting

MattM97

I've always been curious about the arm lock method and lately I've been thinking about switching/trying it lately. One reason being is I just don't feel confident with any of my putters for various reasons, I like the look of all of them at address but I don't like the weight, feel, impact, etc.

The other reason is physical attributes, I feel like the transition to arm lock would be fairly easy. I'm on the taller side at 6'3" and for traditional putter sizes I prefer min 35" ideally 36" or more for comfort and my stance so going to 40"+ wouldn't be weird for me, I naturally prefer heavier putters so a 400g head. I naturally put the ball forward in my stance so that part wouldn't be hard to fix either.

Being a lefty I'll need to get this custom made so it won't be a cheap experiment but it could help me quite a bit or be the worst thing ever.

So anyone in similar conditions try out arm locking and have it work or not? Anyone experiment with arm lock have any input/advice? Give me a reason to try out arm locking or not trying it at all.

And yes I'll be looking at getting some coaching for putting in general.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I have made the switch to arm-locking some what by accident. I won the SIK/LAGP giveaway for the arm-lock similar to BC. I have always been curious about the style because I could not get comfortable with a grip. My initial thoughts on the method are very positive. I have been practicing all winter with this set up and its very easy to transition from standard putting to arm-lock.

Honestly it is a very stable and fun way to putt. Once you find a setup you are comfortable with its really cool to take all the variables out of putting. Confidence for me is sky high. I am 6'5 and using an armlock is very comfortable. I did a review write up on my SIK putter in the forum I'm sure you can search for if you are interested. If you have any questions let me know.

• Like 1

Good to hear and I'd be most likely buying a Sik armlock because they're probably the best at it just need to get it made in LH.

If you have the link to your write up/review that would be great.

Lefty - WITB Thread

I’ve been doing it for probably 6 years now and it’s amazing. Lot of people I play with can’t get over how many putts I make and have tried it, I’ve got 3-4 buddies that have stuck with it, and the ones that haven’t continue to use one during practice because they say it helps keep things still. Happy to help with any questions you have but I can’t say enough good things about it.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Swiz is probably the best putter I know, and he's truly annoying to play against, because he is close to automatic inside 10 feet, and makes a lot of longer ones. He just about always gets it started on his line, and he's super consistent with the arm lock.

I've tried the method probably 3-4 times now where I put an arm lock in play for some period of time, and it just doesn't work for me. I can't get comfortable with the amount of forward press that you have to use for arm locking, and it actually hurts my left wrist. I'm not sure if I have some weird anatomical reason that it doesn't fit my left arm, but I have not been able to have sustained success putting that way. However, after a putting lesson from swiz last spring, I've gotten a lot better on the greens, in part by applying some of the fundamentals from the arm lock method, using a standard length putter. I've found that by extending my left arm fully, setting up a bit more upright (my new Byron has a 73* lie angle to accommodate this), and concentrating on taking the putter back on the target line (instead of inside, with is the biggest fault I have), I've made some significant improvement in my putting. So, even if you try arm locking and it doesn't turn out to be the method for you, I think you can learn some things that can help your putting.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

That's what I like to hear.

I guess questions would be what's your set up, specs, how did you go about getting fit, etc?

Also how long did it take you to feel comfortable with it and was there a period where it was frustrating learning or more come natural to you?

Lefty - WITB Thread

I will take a read through that thanks.

Lefty - WITB Thread

I bought an arm lock last summer on a whim after one of the worst putting tournaments I've ever had and it instantly felt incredible. Like it was cheating or something - my problem was I made or barely missed everything outside of 10' but when I got inside of 10' I was horribly inconsistent. I practiced & practiced with it and played a number of rounds and I never felt I got any better within 10' so I ended up bagging it and going back to conventional.

My experience seems to be the opposite from what the majority of people experience - most people make everything inside of 10' but are horribly inconsistent on longer putts.

I am not a great putter by any means but I'm better on shorter putts with a conventional putter so that's why I went away from the Armlock. I think it's a great method - it forced me to use my shoulders rather than use hands and that is a great thing for putting. It definitely feels awkward but man you put a good roll on the ball.

The problem is there was almost nowhere for me to test the method and I had to bite the bullet and just buy a putter and try it. You being a lefty are even worse off - you're going to have to have a custom putter built just to try it.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw White  70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

In the new Ping Heppler range they have an arm lock option and it is in LH. So I'm eager that to come to stores for me to try, I probably wouldn't buy since it's quite light for an arm lock but will give me an idea on how it feels.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I would not be enjoying the game nearly as much if it weren’t for arm lock. I will say arm locks are really finicky to fitting. I think most people who had a bad experience trying it didn’t have a properly fit putter. I couldn’t imagine putting any other way.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

This is part why I'm asking cause I don't want an ill fit putter, I'm sure I have several in my collection.

Like mentioned I plan on buying a Sik armlock putter, so I'll contact then with what I need to get during my fitting then send that info to Sik. I may even ask for them to send the shaft uncut so I can do that in person.

Lefty - WITB Thread

From what I understand the SIK guys, even over the phone, will get you fit. Sounds like you are considering doing it the right way and in that case, do it. I don’t think you will regret it.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

I fell into and out of love with arm locking last summer. I bought the Odyssey Double Wide arm lock and went with an inch short (39") because I'm about 5'9" and that seemed to make sense. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with the standard 40". If you're much taller than me, I would think you'd be looking at 42+". For reference, I usually play my putters at about 33.5".

Fitting was the first hurdle. I pretty much instantly knew I needed it more upright. Odyssey is standard at 72 deg. I went to 74 and then 76 deg. and probably could have kept on bending it upright, but I didn't feel like messing with it more.

Figuring out how to use the thing was the next hurdle, and once it all came together, it was really fantastic. I had to mess with my stance and ball position and grip until I figured out something that came naturally and launched the ball correctly. This took a while, but when it started to really click I started to putt excellently. Both lag putts and inside 10' were much improved.

And then I just totally lost it. I'm not sure what happened, but whatever stance mojo I had working just disappeared and I could not get comfortable over the ball again. I started making AWFUL contact with the ball (basically thinning it) and just could not get it back. I have no idea what I did wrong, but I couldn't get back to the right feeling.

In the end, I decided to go get fit for a conventional putter. So far so good on that front. I might go back to the arm lock one day in the future if I feel up to it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

My lag putting last year was awful, like left it super short or blew it past the hole but that was kind of the putter set up being too heavy. Now it's (Edel E-3) set up properly and rolling a lot better for lag putts on the practice green and short putts are getting a bit better. But it's just the feeling, it's all over the place, I'll put a nice roll on the ball but felt like a miss hit, I think has something to do with just how and where the weight was taken out from. I kinda wish the had their Classic line when I got fit, would probably feel a lot better. But the putter should do a lot better for me than last year, just have to ignore the feel possibly.

I am aware of some of the issues with the arm lock but I'll do my best to work through them, I really want to drop my handicap this season after last year more for building a base and get back into golf after a long absence.

Lefty - WITB Thread

My biggest problem with it is the complete loss of feel and finesse required for lag putting. For me, use of the hands and the ability to rely on them for feel, trumps all rigid technique ever written, IMO.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I've been seeing some say their lag putting became awful and others said it has improved. I guess it's something I'd have to experience to see how I adapt.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Did anybody get fit for both traditional and arm lock? Did you find with arm lock the tire hang you needed changed? As a lefty, there's pretty much only one arm lock putter out there right now (Odyssey stroke lab #7) and it's face balanced. I've been fit a few times now and I'm solidly a 25-30* toe hang guy. If I use face balance then I need to have a really thick grip to try and show face rotation down.

With arm lock though I figure the face should be opening and shutting a lot less and maybe I coukd get away with it...?

I’d say I’m more like kuchar in my stance than Bryson. I have the putter just short of my elbow crease. Anything above the elbow I believe is considered anchored. If I stand too tall the putter is in the middle of my forearm and it feels like I can’t control the putter head.

putted around again today on some grass and it’s hard to explain the simplicity of the set up. I missed putts today because my feet were misaligned. I’m not sure if I’ll be clear in my explanation but it was as simple as adjusting my feet. It had nothing to do with anything else. I’m not sure how else to promote this style of putting if you struggle with over thinking, too handsy, overthinking rotating the putter head, toe hang, etc etc. armlock is so much fun and easy. Give it a try.

Im not really a fan of this. No hard feelings to anyone who is just my opinion. I just feel it actually complicates putting. I think more tour player would be using if it was so easy and accurate. I guess i just like old school putting. I do have a putter thats 35 inches and makes me stand a little taller which feels nice but thats all id go.

No worries and definitely no hard feelings. Armlock was something I was interested in because there was a season on tour when a few people went and started trying it. I think bubba, Dufner, Webb Simpson had won, Bryson had won two in three starts (maybe) then odyssey released their own armlock. I’m still relatively new to golf (<10 years) so I’m still playing around to find things I like. Putting is very personal, equipment included. If I had started early in life playing with a traditional putter then I do not think I’d change to armlock unless I needed a drastic change to restart some bad putting or whatever. Many people on tour have been playing golf from an early age and therefore would imagine them changing to something that’s so different from the traditional impossible to fathom.

At the end of the day, it’s a putter and putting style that could be helpful or could not. You never know unless you try. This time next year I could be posting about a new anser style high MOI putter with tungsten weights that I’ve changed to because my wife gave it to me as a birthday gift. But you can bet I’ll be converting it into an armlock!!

That's fair, I'm not completely abandoning traditional putting technique. It's more an experiment cause my putting honestly can't get any worse than it has been last year. If after a solid amount of rounds with the armlock works I'll stick with it, if I can't get it from the get go well then the putter will be on the classified pages soon after.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Tried arm lock and not for me. Used a odyssey double wide and I guess it was too flat for me. Decided to go with a belly putter cut down to I believe 38 inches with extra long super stroke grip and I use the claw. I can use arm lock with it but the extra lone grip gives me plenty of room to claw that a conventional length grip does not. Good luck.

I'm like 3_Jack. I gave it an 8 week experiment and simply couldn't get used to it. I had difficulty lag putting and found consistent alignment challenging. I was also not a forward press putter before, so this was a big change in feel at address and was uncomfortable for my left hand. Your mileage may vary.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Same with me. I think I made the first 12 putts I had. Not sure if I started over thinking it or what, but couldn't even get close after that. I had the square Betti kuchar model and couldn't get used to the offset. But in my mind I think it'll work (it prob won't), but I'll prob try it again at some point.

In fairness, taking putting advice from someone whose username reflects their lack of success with the putter is probably not the most advisable thing you can do...

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x