2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Myrtle in June

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Myrtle on winter golf trips about 10 years in a row and played most of the courses there, but it's been 10+ years since I've been back, so no idea on current conditioning, and these all assume good conditioning.

You could spend the whole trip at Barefoot and have a great time with the four courses there which are all excellent layouts. Caledonia/True Blue for one day are also excellent. Outside of those there aren't a lot of places where you have two of the top courses right next to each other. Others I would put in the same top category: Tidewater, River's Edge, Prestwick

Good course layouts I enjoyed, but maybe not quite as interesting as the above: Tiger's Eye, Thistle, Crow Creek, Legends Moorland, The Witch, Pawley's Plantation, Wild Wing Avocet, TPC Myrtle Beach

The ones I list above are where I would want to play if I went back, again assuming all are in good condition. There are a bunch of courses that are very average layouts, but they'll be priced accordingly in June. Generally the higher priced courses are the better courses.

Ones I would not go back to. Some are meh and some are fine in their own right, but I'd never want to play them again when you can play the courses I listed above: Aberdeen Country Club, Arrowhead, Brunswick Plantation, Carolina National, Heritage Club, Indian Wells, Indigo Creek, Long Bay, Man O War, Oyster Bay, Possum Trot, both Pearl courses, Sandpiper Bay, all the Sea Trail courses, Wachesaw East, Wizard, World Tour, Willbrook Plantation

This is highly dependent on your budget. Contact just about any hotel or resort in Myrtle and ask for a golf package. They can easily get everything set up for you and usually get you very good rates.

I do a couple of golf outings a year in Myrtle. One place that we use frequently for packages is Grand Cayman Resort (formally Long Bay Resort) or The Caribbean, which includes a great breakfast buffet at the little restaurant next door. Their rates are reasonable. These are better than average ocean front hotels, but nothing luxurious.

I agree 100% with Dancin's excellent category. There are also many very good courses at or near Myrtle. It is hard to say which you would enjoy or not.

If you have not been to Myrtle before, you need to understand that 'Myrtle Beach' golf extends from NC to well south of Myrtle Beach; ~80 to 100 miles. You could travel for 45 minutes or more from a Myrtle beach resort to a course. It is probably 50 miles from Tide Water to True Blue. Keep this in mind when booking.

Hope you have a great time!

Ron

Also summer traffic is a nightmare. Early June might not be too bad but by mid to late June I'd think it should be ramped up. In summer it's better to pick an area and play the courses there rather than driving all over. If it's your first time and you don't mind paying for quality I'd really recommend you either stay up north or south. If cost is a concern it doesn't matter where you stay as there are cheap average courses all over the strand.

Up north with Barefoot and you can throw in Grande Dunes, The Dunes or Tidewater if you want one or two extra really good ones besides Barefoot.

Or down south with Caledonia/True Blue. I'd probably do 36 at Caledonia/True Blue two days in a row. You'll want another shot at those and the other courses in the south area are not at the same level. Throw in Pawley's Plantation if you want something different. Heritage and Wachesaw East are probably the best of the rest down there, but again not at the level of Caledonia/True Blue.

And if you want a course near the airport for the arrival or leave day, play Prestwick. It's as good as the other top courses assuming conditions are good.

In June, the golf is cheap, but lodging is expensive. Myrtle is where people from the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic area tend to go for summer vacation instead of playing golf. 

The problems with Myrtle in June, besides the potential heat….is that the courses are often in their worst condition of the entire year. Myrtle has always struggled with conditions in the summer time regardless of where you go. Also, courses there tend to aerify the day after Memorial Day and don’t recover until weeks later. If there’s some way you can scope out the courses and then decide which ones to play, that’s probably your best bet. Otherwise you’re leaving it completely up to chance.

The traffic is bad in the summer as well. Not as bad as it was back when I was living there as there is a lot more infrastructure. But it’s bad enough where traveling to 2 different courses to get 36 holes in 1 day can be an issue.

Caledonia and True Blue are sister courses and right next to each other. Man O’War and the Wizard are right next to each other as well although they are a step below Caledonia and True Blue. I also like The Witch…but it’s conditioning was always iffy. 

I’ve never played the Barefoot Landing courses, but I’ve heard good things and I liked that area. Tidewater is great, but again…conditioning can be iffy at times. The same with Kings North at Myrtle Beach National. The other courses at Myrtle Beach National were nothing to write home about. 

The only courses that I would be confident in their conditioning are The Dunes Club, Grande Dunes and The Legends courses. They were almost always in good condition regardless of the time of the season. 

RH

You have to watch Aeration schedule in the summer but there a tons of course that are in great shape. I play every year in the summer and only once or twice hot bad conditions and both were not cause of lack of work it was aeration time.

I would contact www.myrtlebeachgolfpackagers.com they will set you up with what you need.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

You could pick the highest rated courses, then if the cost is too high, adjust. Come up with a criteria.

Golf is lower in the summer. Golf course condos will be cheaper than staying on the beach.

Courses are not hurt from the heat yet by June. Very few MB courses have bent grass now, so the hybrid greens can handle the heat.

Check on green aeration. Sheppy gave you a good site to use.

At multi course sites, just book your AM round and you will get a replay rate in the PM. No need to book the 2nd round in June at full price.

I am going down in June and mid June will be tough for most course because of aeriation.

I have called a good bit of the courses to get their schedules for June 2020 and they are below:

Aerification dates:  Fazio 6/8-6/12; Dye 6/15-6/19; Love 7/20-7/24; Caledonia 6/15-6/19; Dunes Club 6/6-6/15; TPC 6/15-6/19; True Blue 6/8-6/12. Tidewater 8/1Thistle 6/1 doing 9 holes per weekKings North 6/16Grand Dunes 6/8

Of the courses mentioned I’d say Caledonia, True Blue, king’s north, and Heritage are best to me. A couple not mentioned is arrowhead and Wild Wing (for some reason I really like this course). Went about the same time last year and played kings north, Caledonia, True Blue, TPC, and Thistle. TPC was really underwhelming but the others were in good shape. You can usually find an aeration schedule online and plan accordingly.

I don't know if you've decided where to stay, but you should focus on one area. It's about 90 miles between Bald Head Island at the North End to Caledonia at the South end., and you don't want to be spending your three days driving in a car. If you want to play 36 a day for three days, you'll need 6 courses in each area to choose from

If you stay south in Licthfield, Murrels or Pawleys I'd suggest: True Blue, Caledonia, Heritage, TPC, Pawleys Plantation, Willbrook Plantation, Founders Club

If you stay in Myrtle Beach proper, I'd suggest: The Dunes club, Barefoot Love, BF Dye and BF Fazio, Grande Dunes, Legends Heathland and Moorland, and Prestwick

If you stay North, I'd suggest: Glen Dornoch, Oyster Bay, Tigers Eye, Leopards Chase, Rivers Edge and Thistle

Those options give you choices for 36 a day of good golf for three days without a lot of driving

Here's a link to photos of all of those courses and other MB area courses: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157632004669462/

Plenty to do, I have been taking my kids since they were 1 and 2 years old, always had cool things to do. As they get older even more for them to do.

Pool, shopping, Family Kingdom, water parks, and many more.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3