Wilson c300 forged irons

bwiser22

Just got a set of wilson c300 forged irons . Only hit the 8 iron on the range, but I believe I've found my next set. More forgiving, and close to the same feel as the srixon z745 irons. They look great at address as well. I will say I get along well with kbs tour shafts, they come with kbs tour 105. I think the 105 stiff are 111 grams. Someone that doesnt need the spin or height will not like the kbs 105.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sold a set of Mizuno mp-h4's and was looking for a replacement. It was a toss up between the new c300 forged, and mp-h5's. I ended up getting the mp-h5's for a fantastic price, so couldn't pass them up. I finally got a live look at the c300's today. No regrets based on that. They look really good but for a little too bladey. I'm sure they're somewhat forgiving, and I'm just guessing based on looks alone, but I doubt they're for me. My current gamers are Jpx-850 forged, and they also look more forgiving than the c300's.

I would say though, that the c300 forged are the best looking Wilson iron I've ever seen.

Titleist 917D3 9.5
Titleist 917F2 13.5d
Titleist 818H2 17d. hybrid
Mltizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Scratch 8620 53d..
Odyssey white hot tour #2

Saw these yesterday in a golf shop for the 1st time. They look fantastic, imo. I wonder if they are forgiving enough for golfers like me, a mid teens hccper.

They are not difficult to hit. Lots of ways to have a handicap in the teens, but if you can hit an iron at all I do not see these giving you any issues. Beautiful irons, misses across the face are not severely punished. The power holes definitely give a boost in the long irons.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I tried the entire M line from Taylormade, Mizuno JPX 900, Callaway Rogue, Ping G700, Cobra F8 and a few others. I ended up walking out of the shop with a brand new set of C300 forged. The lofts aren't overly strong. The 7 iron is only 1 degree stronger than Nike VPCs. On the GC2, my carry distance with the C300 7 iron was around 168 while with my VPCs, I was at 162. The C300 are also forgiving clubs. I hit a few off the toe and didn't lose too much distance. My goal was find a more forgiving set of clubs without sacrificing workability and feel. I think I found them in the C300. I'll be taking it out on the range this weekend and then a round of golf the following.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit them with the stock Tour 105 shaft. Felt great. Not a huge fan of the look. They are longer than my Wilson V2's but not near as long as the P790 or Cobra Forged Tec Blacks.

Got to hit those in the Modus 105 and C-Taper Lites, which the Mizuno swing optimizer gadget said fit me best. Having said that, those heads in those shafts had better distance and dispersion.

For the price, the Wilsons are great. Long but not super long. Soft feel and forgiving enough. If you upgrade the shafts though, you're closer to the same price as the others I mentioned. Then it's about what works best for you.

I upgraded from the V2's for distance and more forgiveness. Love Wilson, but the C300's didn't do enough for me. I'd say good clubs at a great price.

• 2 weeks later...

I played them from October to early March and I really enjoyed them. Feel was good although nothing like my fg 100s for obvious reasons haha. Good looks for a players gi iron (I guess that’s the category). Not overly thick top line, sole is a little wider than I typically like but it’s not terrible. Playing wise, they are very consistent in terms of distance when struck well. Off center strikes do lose distance obviously but no where near what you would think. The power holes certainly seem to do what they are meant to by allowing the face to flex more and keep ballspeed decent.

If you’re looking for a good looking players ironnthat gives you forgiveness and decent playability, this would be a great option. I certainly think anyone from scratch to a 15-20 could hit these well if you’re at least half way decent at hitting an iron. The cast may be better for that higher portion of handicappers 15-36. Working the ball is easy enough to do with these (I’m no scratch but I can worknthe Ball, the issue is how much haha).

I did see a distance gain over my blades by about half a club maybe a full club in the mid t long irons (again those are probably more based off strike and head design). Flight wasn’t too high but if you have some swing speed the lower irons might soar for you. The long irons certainly fly with a really good trajectory. Mine was a mid height bullet that just went.

Any other specifics just ask me :)

Forever Changing at this point.......

Papa,

Thanks for your review. I really do like the looks of the club head. And the stock kbs 105 shaft specs appear to be a good fit for me. I'll get a chance to hit at a demo day in a couple of weeks. Presently, I rotate between these sets

- Adams cb3s

- Maltby TEs

- Mizuno ez forged

I'll be curious to find out how these c300 forged compare iro forgiveness (most important), trajectory and distance.,

15 hcp

I just hit them and got custom fitted for them but not sure if I am going to pull the trigger. The numbers were able to match my Mizuno and the thin hits were definitely more forgiving, but just not sure about how they felt on center strikes. Not as smooth as the Mizzies and while they are lower priced that still means I have to shell out $800 for a set.

I went in to give the Forged TEC a run and we could not get the launch, height, or spin with those. No matter which shaft. Just low launch rockets that would run through the green. When he pulled out the C300F I was a bit surprised. But they are the real deal. Folks should give them a bit of they are looking for a forgiving players iron. I'm going to be on the lookout for a Wilson demo day and see how they hit on the turf before deciding.

I play PX LZ 5.5 now and we were able to get the KBS Tour 120s to work. Tried the flighted version and launched too low. 105s didn't favor well for me as I had a two way miss.

Today I went to a Srixon demo and hit the Srixon 565 w/ a modus 105 stiff shaft. I normally use regular flex in my irons but the modus 105 in stiff was just fantastic. I brought my Maltby TE 6 iron (w/ a dynalite xp in reg. flex) for a comparison. Quite candidly, there was not difference in direction, flight and distance compared to the Srixon 565.

It will be another 2 weeks before I can test the Wilson 300 forged. Wonder how it compares to the 565 in forgiveness. Any out there who has hit both?

15 hcp

Today I went to a Srixon demo and hit the Srixon 565 w/ a modus 105 stiff shaft. I normally use regular flex in my irons but the modus 105 in stiff was just fantastic. I brought my Maltby TE 6 iron (w/ a dynalite xp in reg. flex) for a comparison. Quite candidly, there was not difference in direction, flight and distance compared to the Srixon 565.

It will be another 2 weeks before I can test the Wilson 300 forged. Wonder how it compares to the 565 in forgiveness. Any out there who has hit both?

Yes.

I owned the C300 forged for a while until recently when Cobra released their ftb’s I had to switch. The C300 forged definitely had more stopping power. Spin is very consistent, from 6600-7000 with the 7 iron to 10000-10500 with the PW. The spin with the srixon 7 iron was very low for me, around 4600-5200 rpm but the spin with the PW was extremely high around 10500-11100...strange.

Forgiveness wise they’re neck and neck, both had their pros and cons, toe shots came off much better with the 565’s but shots low on the face came off better with the Wilson’s. If you have a steep angle of attack you will benefit greater with the Srixons, turf interaction is insanely great with them. I found the turf interaction to be just meh with the wilsons, still good but nothing like the V sole, Srixon really hit a home run with that sole design.

The Wilsons felt softer imo.

The Wilsons were by far the most precise and accurate irons I’ve ever used, they really do lock on to targets. The srixons were verrrrry accurate as well but not as lights out as the Wilsons. dispersion was spot on with both as well.

The only negative I found with the Wilsons, was the polished chrome really blinded me in the sun, there were times where I literally couldn’t line up without being blinded. Beautiful irons but I really wish they would have dulled the face out a little.

Distance wise the srixons were about 10 yds longer on avg but ball flights were much higher with the Wilsons so it really could have been the shaft (kbs tour 105 stiff in the C300 forged and Nippon 980 GH in the srixons).

I’m sure if you threw some Project x lz’s in the Wilsons they would have kept up but spin would of course drop.

Overall I think it really depends on what you’re looking for in an iron, do you need more approach control and precision? Or are you looking for more distance and power?

Both are excellent irons and you really can’t go wrong with either. I would give the edge to the Wilsons though as they have more neutral lofts and the level of control you feel with them is second to none.

Yes.

I owned the C300 forged for a while until recently when Cobra released their ftb’s I had to switch. The C300 forged definitely had more stopping power. Spin is very consistent, from 6600-7000 with the 7 iron to 10000-10500 with the PW. The spin with the srixon 7 iron was very low for me, around 4600-5200 rpm but the spin with the PW was extremely high around 10500-11100...strange.

Forgiveness wise they’re neck and neck, both had their pros and cons, toe shots came off much better with the 565’s but shots low on the face came off better with the Wilson’s. If you have a steep angle of attack you will benefit greater with the Srixons, turf interaction is insanely great with them. I found the turf interaction to be just meh with the wilsons, still good but nothing like the V sole, Srixon really hit a home run with that sole design.

The Wilsons were by far the most precise and accurate irons I’ve ever used, they really do lock on to targets. The srixons were verrrrry accurate as well but not as lights out as the Wilsons. dispersion was spot on with both as well.

The only negative I found with the Wilsons, was the polished chrome really blinded me in the sun, there were times where I literally couldn’t line up without being blinded. Beautiful irons but I really wish they would have dulled the face out a little.

Distance wise the srixons were about 10 yds longer on avg but ball flights were much higher with the Wilsons so it really could have been the shaft (kbs tour 105 stiff in the C300 forged and Nippon 980 GH in the srixons).

I’m sure if you threw some Project x lz’s in the Wilsons they would have kept up but spin would of course drop.

Overall I think it really depends on what you’re looking for in an iron, do you need more approach control and precision? Or are you looking for more distance and power?

Both are excellent irons and you really can’t go wrong with either. I would give the edge to the Wilsons though as they have more neutral lofts and the level of control you feel with them is second to none.

What about the cobras? Did you find the ftb to spin to low and not hold greens? Really interested in these.....

Forever Changing at this point.......

Yes.

What about the cobras? Did you find the ftb to spin to low and not hold greens? Really interested in these.....

Not at all, the spin rates are very consistent with my FTB’s. one of the first things I look for in an iron is the control aspect of them and the Cobras are spot on, I was fitted into KBS $ Taper Blacks at no upcharge. The stock AMT White shafts didn’t fit me at all, dispersion was all over the place, I lost a little backspin with the $ tapers but they are just stupid accurate, right now my spin rates with the 7 iron are around 6100-6300 which is not high but not low at all, So far I’ve played 4 rounds with them and I haven’t had any issues holding greens.

The cobras will stay in my bag for a while, I can’t find anything wrong with them lol

Anyone else hit the Wilson c300 irons?

Got to play these yesterday. I don't own them and it is not my intention to purchase them. Simply, for a CB they are very good.

They sit nicely for my eye and don't look "fat" and "bulky" for a CB.

I played the front 9 with a ProV1X and the back 9 with a Wilson Staff FG Tour. The Wilson sounded softer and in feel for those who want to know. The Titleist had a touch more distance though.

The C300 were 2deg stronger than what my irons are, but found distances to be the same..stock shaft is not what i would use but was ok.

All the other crap such as spin, launch etc etc is irrelevant to me.

Distance and power is Peter Pan to me. If you want to hit a 7 iron 200yds, use a 5 iron.

So, hit a few dozen balls with each iron and there is your distance with that brand and club.

If you are looking to buy a CB which comes in cheaper than most and is built just as good as the others and probably better, buy these.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I decided to pull the trigger on the C300 Forged also.

I have been playing Callaway Rogue X Game improvement clubs - swing is getting better all the time and as it's getting better the Callaways are just sending the ball too far with no stopping power and are too inconsistent in distance. I tried the C300's and really liked them, but yesterday saw an amazing deal and jus went for it. 4-PW for 399. Added some Wilson Staff 50, 56 and 60 wedges and filled a gap between my current 3 wood and the C300 4iron with a 3Hybrid.

When i tried the C300s the thing I liked most was the consistency in carry and the feel off the clubface (night and day compared to the Rogue X). Whilst I hit the C300's way way shorter, I am no longer that interested in distance with irons. In reality it's all smoke and mirrors anyway - for example my 7 iron Rogue X is more like a 5 iron in C300 specs.

Update :

Arrived... that was quick :)

3UG7DHH5BDTT.jpg

Horrendous weather today, but might still nip out to the range!

• 4 months later...

Hardly used the C300s due to lockdown, just 3 rounds.

Hit at the range this week and the head of the 5 iron flew off the club - I'd say it had only been hit a max of 10 times.

Makes me nervous about hitting any of the other irons... I had heard some grumblings on quality with the C300 forged and unfortunately I have to report the same thing.

Shame as I like the clubs, but lost all confidence in them.

I sold my Mp-h5's and bought the C300 forged. I really like these irons, and would say that they're as good as anything I've ever played. I bought them primarily as a back up set, but they've quickly become my gamers. Haven't heard of any issues with build quality. i can't say that they stand out in any category, but they will match anything out there for distance, feel forgiveness etc. I recently checked out the new D7 forged, but it seems that aren't much of a departure over the C300 forged. Sticking with the C300 forged for some time to come.

Mizuno ST-X 230 10.5

Mizuno ST-Z 15d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon ZX utility 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

• 2 weeks later...