Best 3wood off the deck for 2020

MarcellusW

I've got an epic flash 3w turned up to 16⁰ with the draw setting on the optifit hosel.

When I got fitted for it I went I thinking I was going to get a 5w lofted down 1⁰. After hitting both of the heads the fitting showed that I required something with a closed face as it helped turn my extended fade into a straight to draw ball flight.

Saying all that, Don't rule out anything until you've tried it.

This tends to be the Achilles heel of my golf bag. Now with the Cobra SZ fairway, I have a ton of confidence in launching high, long shots of the turf. The Tensei Blue shaft was the perfect fit and I play mine at 14.5*. BTW, it is as good off the tee too. Good luck.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

This is where I'm at. Epic Flash 3w at +1 but I'm sticking with the N setting still.

tbh the 'best 3 wood off the deck' for me was me learning HOW to actually hit a 3w off the deck. Now I can hit ANY 3w off the deck.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

+1. If you want easiest off the deck, you should add Cobra F9 or SZ to your list.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

As stated in my earlier post, the new Cobra SPEEDZONE is awesome off the deck and for that matter, the tee too. I always cringed when hitting a fairway metal, but not with this beast!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

Yup.. Ping 17.5 turned down to 16.5 in my bag too I just got the 410, but liked the G 5 wood like that and still play the G 7wood opened.

OP, the older Ping G might be a fairly inexpensive experiment if you can find a used one on-line. Lowering loft opens the face, and the loft only changes if you return the club to square at impact. So especially if a slice is your miss you might want to play the club at standard or manuaslly close the club to square rather than gripping it as it is soled. I'm going to go on a limb though to say you might not lose any or just a few yards by leaving it at stock. 17.5 is almost modern 4 wood loft anyway and 1/2 inch shorter shaft than 3 wood helps contact and is playable from more lies.

Keeping the ball in play and out of trouble and saving shots 75 yards and in will drop your handicap and increase enjoyment the fastest IMO. Playing one fairway wood , a 5 or "4ish" wood and choking down a bit for 5W distance shots might help that and give you the option of say an extra wedge, or maybe a 7W that you might find becomes your favorite distance club.

@MarcellusW Alot of great advise thus far. TBH, at your handicap and swing speed, the best 3w off the deck is going to be a 5 wood. Your handicap strongly suggests your ability to find the center of the face on a consistent basis is low, so you need forgiveness and loft. I would suggest the Ping G400 for its amazing forgiveness and decreased cost as a previous gen clubhead. Another option if you use the lowest lofted fwy from the tee would be a 4w as many have suggested, something around 16º. Most of my fittings with higher hdcps or slower swing speed layers has been a fwy combo of 4w/7w as compared to the traditional 3w/5w. Finally, STRONGLY suggest to "choke up" a 1/2" on every club in your bag. Hope this helps and good luck!

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

I second this. Fairway woods have ALWAYS been an Achilles heel for me. Went many years without bagging one until midway through last year. Put a rogue 3w in and started out ok before tanking with it. Got a super hybrid just before Xmas. While I haven’t had it in the course yet (Michigan) been to the range/simulator a few times and it SEEMS much easier to hit with only slight loss of max distance (With a fw only seemed to happen 10% of the time for me anyway!)

4 Wood

5 wood and maybe deloft it a bit, basically turning it into a 4 wood. I do this with my Ping G410, these have shallow faces and are easy to get in the air.

Callaway Heavenwood, Most people can carry these as far off the deck as anything. It's a 4 wood head and shaft with 7 wood loft. Very forgiving and longer than you might think off the deck.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I agree with everyone that has posted here about carrying a 5 wood. In this day and age with how far clubs go, there is no need to carry a 3 wood. Get something in the 17 or 18 degree range the plays around 42 inches and you won't be disappointed.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I just got a PING G410 5w and changed the loft to 16.5* and its super easy to hit off the deck. I may change it back to the 17.5* loft as Im hitting it a smidge too close to 3W distance.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

With a 95mph driver swing speed you are probably going to find that most 3W are hard to get up in the air. That’s not enough speed in the fairway wood area to properly launch lower lofted clubs.

You said you’re going to get fit, which is good, but definitely make sure you test distances of 5W, 4W, and 3W. My guess is you’ll find better results from a 4/5 wood because of the inherent increased launch.

Besides, you don’t necessarily need a low lofted fairway. It’s probably hurting your game more than it’s helping.

The 4w advice is sound I'd say but how about a 2 hybrid? Not your question I know but a similar lofted hybrid I find much easier to hit of the deck.

At 24hc, I am far from talented and thouvh I have a 3w (Nike Covert 2.0) I only hit it off the deck if the lie is very soft. If even slightly buried I pull out a hybrid which is so much easier from any lie really.

Having said that, I am close to buying a M6 3w to finish my M series woods (M2 driver, M1 4h) as it is better of the tee than a hybrid when the driver doesn't work.

Last comment: personally a large wood I can't hit off the deck, it has to look compact and flattish. I don't make big divots generally so a large wood looks too cumbersome to me.

Good luck finding one!

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

Good advice here. The Callaway super hybrid could be a candidate. I think it is about 17* at 42 inches. TXG just did a video of this about fitting guys to a strong hybrid instead of a fairway wood.

Here is the video:

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

For context, I have a 105mph driver ss and fairly quick tempo and hit my current 3 wood (Srixon F45 set at 15.5 deg loft) well with enough height to be ok. Not the easiest club to hit though, I bag it when swinging well only or condition specific as it really is a fairway only club for me, I use it rarely off the tee.

I have been experimenting though with a 5 wood head in a strong 3 wood length shaft (Srixon F45 lofted down from 19 deg to 18 deg, shaft is an AXE Xcaliber 6+ stiff) and have found that be be an interesting alternative. I carry it as far as my 3 wood but with greater height but with less run and the extra loft means it is a little easier to hit and more versatile from less perfect lies. I might sacrifice 10 to 15 yards in total distance (all run) but get better consistency and the extra height is great hitting into greens for stop.

Also, I hit a draw so lofting down doesn't accentuate that shot shape which is good for me.

One thing to note that I've never seen mentioned if you consider a 5 wood head in a 3 wood shaft is the lie difference of 1 degree more upright in the 5 wood head (58 deg vs 57 deg for my Srixons). I have high hands through the ball so play with upright lie settings anyway but that won't suit everyone.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I never found myself a great 3 wood hitter off the deck until I bought a TS3, and it's even better off the tee. I'm a high launch and spin player with higher swing speed and play it at 14.25 deg so if you're slower or struggle to launch I'd only assume the TS2 is even easier to hit and launch off the deck at 15 or 16.5 deg.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I just started playing TM M5 3 wood....actually quite easy to launch that ball into orbit..

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

I am a 16.5 HC with 100mph swing and I recently had a fitting at Club Champion, I tried everything and found the new Callaway Mavrik 3w to be the easiest for me. I was really hoping to fit the Taylormade SIM in both Driver and 3w but it was Mavrik on both. You really just have to try as many head and shaft combinations as you can.

For the past year and a half I had used a Rogue 4 wood because I struggle so badly with a 3 wood. That has changed with the G410 3 wood. The G410 is very easy to hit off the deck. Even with my 4 wood I would not even attempt it with less than "good" lies or stance. The G410 I will even hit from a fairway bunker if the lie is good.