2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2020 Callaway Mavrik drivers, fairway woods, hybrids (in-hand pics)

GolfWRX

Golf Galaxy goes until March 1st on the Mav

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

Surprised Callaway ended their trade in Bonus so quickly, in the past I feel it has extended much longer. Kind of a let down for all of us who haven't been fitted yet and may have considered purchasing. I would much rather order directly through them and not Golf Galaxy.... I see that TaylorMade is still offering their trade in bonus.

Went for a driver fitting today. Went in with TM Sim top of my list, followed by G410 plus, ST200, Cobra SZ. Ruled out Mavrik, mainly due to looks and hating the orange.

After hitting everything the fitter asked me to at least try the Mavrik. I’m so pleased he did because WOW. The mavrik sounds and feels different to anything else (the ST200 was not far off) and actually down by the ball its a nice shape and classic looking - can’t see much orange!

The feel off the face was simply fantastic. It feel sweet, sharp and solid. The launch was ridiculous and every shot maintained its line, even on mishits where the others would go offline (my mis is a low hook, but the Mav wouldn’t turn over like some of the others).

Ended up ordering a Mav Max 10.5 with Rogue white shaft and the matching 3 wood.

Can’t wait to get it on the course!

• Like 2

Big message here, DO NOT decide based on looks! I did exactly the same thing awhile back. Tested everything at Club Champion EXCEPT the TS3 because I just couldn't deal with the "looks". Ended up going through thousands of dollars, multiple drivers, and ended up with the TS3 which just flat-out performs for me. I learned a valuable lesson to never judge a book by its cover! Go figure, I think we've heard that saying all our lives!! Time to listen. ?

Congrats. I've been demoing the standard Mav and Mav Max, and can't decide. Both really great heads. Hope to come to a conclusion this coming weekend. Curious, what is your driver swing speed, and what flex did you get fit into in the Rogue White (did you get the Rogue White 60)? I am around 90-95mph driver swing speed, and the Rogue White 60 regular flex seems to work very well in that range. I now have a Rogue White 60 stiff on hand to try as well. I suspect I might have trouble turning over the Rogue White stiff, but we shall see. Great shaft though.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

So, today I decided to goof around with a 9° standard Mavrik at my local club while using their launch monitor. I was first to hit this head and I found it so enjoyable pulling the plastic wrapper off. Normally, 9° is too little loft for my liking but the head pro set the driver up in a very interesting fashion. To start, I had my shaft, which plays 44.75” in my Mavrik SZ, in the Mavrik head with the stock 5G weight. The club was too light for my tastes. Numbers were decent but I couldn’t feel the club. Then the head pro put a 14G in the head and the magic happened. My CHS jumped up 2 mph, launch came up 1° over my SZ, ball speed jumped 2 plus mph and spin stayed between 2300-2500 rpm. The ball only knew how to fly straight! Extra 4 yards on average carry over my SZ! I negotiated with the pro to buy the head and he allowed me to. Now I just have to figure out which head on a game by game basis. I love both heads so I can’t go wrong!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Usually around 100 mph (normal golf course swing) with my current G400, however the mav max gave me so much confidence that it wouldn’t hook and the weight was perfect that I was averaging just over 105 mph. At my S/S I found the max was much easier to launch higher and therefore carry was around 5-7 yards longer on average compared to standard. I went with the rogue white stiff 60g. Its a 70g stiff in the 3 wood.

What is your miss? The stiff definitely allowed me to release as hard as I wanted without the fear of hooking it left (right hander).

Gotcha--thx. That makes sense. Rogue White 60 stiff is probably right in your wheelhouse at 100-105mph. The 60 regular seems to be in my wheelhouse, and the 60 stiff will probably be too much for my 90-95mph swing, but we'll see. My most common miss is a block/fade, so the stiffer tip and shaft will likely do me no favors. In the end, I may just end up sticking with my Speeder Evo 661 that I am fitted for and works well also.

As an aside, here is a cautionary tale to demoing shafts out on the course without a fitter. I finally got a swing weight scale (basic golfworks one--awesome), and did some SW tests on my Mav heads with 3 primary shafts, Speeder Evo VI 661, Rogue White 60 R, and Rogue White 60 S (all playing around 44.5"). Here's a SW example, with my Mav Max 9* head, 196g total head weight (13g in back, 7g in heel). Speeder: D2; Rogue White 60 R: D4; Rogue White 60 S: D1. If I want to get down to D2 SW with the Rogue White 60 R and Mav Max, I need to drop total head weight down to 191g (which then drops Speeder down to D0 and Rogue White 60 S down to C9...).

Can't just swap shafts on the fly without it being a fool's errand, but now I know what head weights will give me apples to apples on SW.

What head do you have? I have weighed my standard Mav and Mav Max heads (don't have the SZ). Standard Mav head (with weights removed) is 186g. Mav Max head (with weights removed) is 175g. Added weights will vary depending on what Callaway put in, if trying to meet a SW or just doing stock. I ordered my heads all -1" and with different shafts, so my total head weights varied (I think generally in the 191g-194g total head weight range). Fortunately, there are a lot of weights around from the Rogue era that also fit the Mav heads, to dial things in.

RP68FOSLS14H.jpg

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

My clubheads minus adapter weigh 205G to 206G.

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

My SZ with 2G/14G and with adapter in place was 204.3G. Adapter weighs 9G.

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

For those of us who have tried the Mav Max, what are your thoughts?

Still a little too cold out where I'm at, but I am looking forward to giving it a shot. I have the G400 Max currently and like it, but I am always interested in trying new stuff out. I need forgiveness with the driver, and I like a driver that helps me hit it a little higher, so I thought the Max with the heavy weight in the back could be good. I am fitted to X flex shafts, so I didn't know if the Max head itself would be too light for me, but I am going to give it a shot regardless.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

You should definitely give the Mav Max a go. Really nice driver. Funnily enough, my two primary drivers are the G400 Max and the Mav Max. I was actually out with the two of them this past weekend. Darned if the G400 Max wasn't showing out for a while, and making me think that I should go with that. In the end though, I felt that I should continue with the Mav Max and give it a good run.

What I have found with the Mav Max, is that for my game, the heavier weight in the heel is preferable. It really does help the club turn over easier, and that has proven helpful for me out on the course. Mav Max launches high. 9* should be the starting point, and then see if you need to go up to the 10.5* head. I generally have my 9* +1 or +2 anyway, so between 9-11* in loft will be plenty for most of us with the Mav Max. Mav Max is very forgiving, but not idiot-proof.

You mention the Mav Max head being lightweight, but that is totally customizable. I have an extensive kit of weights from 2-18g from my regular clubs and ebay, so I can dial in swing weight however I need it. For reference, the Rogue White 60 playing at around 44.5" requires about 16-17g in added weight for D2-D3 SW. Speeder 661 playing at around 44.5" requires about 20-21g in added weight for D2-D3 SW. Right now, I have 14g in the heel and 2g in the back with the Rogue White, but I can switch that up if I need to. There are obviously a number of weight combinations you can try, either more biased like 14/2 or 12/4, or more balanced like 10/6, 8/8. Easy to try out different combos to see what works best for you.

Interesting, thank you for the informative reply.

I already have a tendency to draw the ball. Do you think that, even with the heavier weight in the back of the head, it might be too much draw bias for me, and perhaps the regular Mavrik will be better?

I know the easy answer is "wait until you can hit all of them and see" but damn it if I am not sitting here looking out the window at the snow on the ground counting down the days.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

With the heavier weight in the back, I don't think it is really draw-biased at all. Look, so much depends upon each of our swings. But I think you would find the heavy weight in the back to be quite neutral. On a good note, it is still not hard to turn over with the heavier weight in the back. But for those of us who don't have a natural draw swing, the heavier weight in the heel should help.

And sure, you'll need to hit the standard Mav and the Mav Max heads to see what might work for you. I actually have a 10.5* standard Mav head, but I just haven't given it a thorough run because I sort of defaulted to the Max. But the standard Mav should not be overlooked--it seemed to have better feel and sound than the Max, and is still quite forgiving.

Sorry to hear about your snow on the ground. I have had a remarkably mild/snowless winter here in NJ, which has allowed me to get out on the course almost every weekend for the past few weeks. Hope to get out again this weekend, where I'll be hitting the G400 Max and Mav Max once again.

I went to the PGA Superstore today and hit the Mavrik SZ fwy vs. my Epic Flash SZ fwy. They performed very similarly overall; both are great clubs. Ballspeed was consistently 2 mph faster and 5 yards longer with the Mavrik, but the numbers were otherwise very similar. I wasn't going to buy it, but they had the additional 50% trade in bonus, so I traded in 4 clubs, and ended up paying $37; this is with the upgraded GD AD VR shaft. Looking forward to it.

• Like 2

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

My Epic Flash got wind that my Mavrik Max arrives Friday. She finally believes she can be replaced so just to totally mess with me the EF had a good day at the range hitting some balls today at Carl’s Golfland.

Best swing of the day leaves me wondering if the Max will be up to the challenge. Switched over to a Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 50 from a PX Even Flow Blue 65 and there may be something extra in the Pro White.

2BYJROG1UWSB.png

Epic Flash is a heck of a driver, but putting aside the performance (which I prefer the Mav Max), once you feel and hear the improvement in the Mav Max, I don’t know how you’ll be able to go back to the Epic Flash. My Epic Flash is gone already.

Let us know what you think when your Mav Max arrives. What loft did you get? And be sure to try the heavier weight in both the heel and the back. I have come to prefer the heavier weight in the heel.

• Like 1