Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

Comments

• MychMych Members  2211WRX Points: 411Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees

A heads up, Hurricane Golf on ebay has sets of F7 One Length (2 deg up) 6-GW heads for $95. Would be a good starting point for someone who was planning to add the OL hybrids.
    eBay item number:283358224836

Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Evnroll ER3
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ry1808ry1808 Members  436WRX Points: 79Handicap: 0.1Posts: 436 Greens

So the Edel SLS-01's didn't make the cut... I gave them a second go nut it just wasn't working out. Great set of clubs. I think if you're new to the game it is a great way to learn but as an experienced player the differences are too significant.

Anyway they are on the Bay now waiting for a new home.

Posted:

I made a change to 2-length set (3 lengths actually including wedges) to hopefully address the distance bunching issues I was having at the top of the set.

I picked up a set of Aldila Rogue 85g graphite shaft pulls (from a one-length set) on ebay last week and reshafted my 3, 4, and 5 with graphite. The shafts are 1/2" longer than stock graphite (which is already 1/2" longer than steel by spec). So my 3i-5i are 38.25", 1 inch longer than my steel shafted 6i-9i at 37.25. Then I play PW, GW, and SW at standard wedge lengths.

My thought process is that the combination of the lighter shaft weight and longer shaft length would give me a little extra clubhead speed and hopefully give a little better gap between the 5i and 6i. I'm also hoping that the graphite promotes a slightly higher ballflight in my 3-5i so they aren't quite as reliant on rollout. I may just be pushing the yardage bunch up to a slightly longer yardage, but I'll see when I get a change to go out and hit them.

Posted:
    WITB: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Evnroll ER3
  • andrevanderpostandrevanderpost ClubWRX  1024WRX Points: 127Posts: 1,024 ClubWRX

I'm a decent ball striker where my woods and short game allow me to keep my low index even when I'm not able to practice. I'm not the best iron player to be honest, and have tinkered and tried almost everything over the last few years but to no avail. I finally bit the bullet and spent the money on a set of Edel SL-01 irons. Compact blade length and no offset are critical int he looks department, and the Edel's tick both boxes, the feel is also fantastic.

However, I was totally blown away by the performance, especially as it relates to ball flight and gapping. I actually hit the SL 4 iron higher wit a little more spin than my traditional length irons, with no loss of distance. I have ended up putting 4-SW into the bag together with a 35.5" Edel 60* wedge. I chip with the GW/SW and everything else around the green gets the 60*.

I have a few rounds under the belt with them now and I am VERY happy with the results. Simplifying the iron swing is going to be a big aid to playing to my handicap without being able to play often.

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25403WRX Points: 2,559Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,403 ClubWRX

On -, @Aucaveman said:

So again, i got them Friday and had the club championship today. Had a little hesitation taking them out, but my confidence is much higher with these than the 919 forged. I shot 74 with a three putt. I didn't make a putt all day. I was the club house leader with the 3 strongest players yet to come in. I'll definitely be in the championship flight tomorrow. Here's hoping tomorrow I'll at least make those short putts i missed today.

What was the outcome of your tourney???

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25403WRX Points: 2,559Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,403 ClubWRX

With the weather changing, it's about time to put a wrap on the first full year of the Cobra F8 SL's. They'll definitely be in the bag next year and I doubt they'll be replaced in the near future. My set is a 4i through GW and with a slight change in ball position, the results the last 6 weeks have been really positive. My GIR percentage on irons has been slightly north of 50% which is nearly double where it was at the beginning of the year. I've been able to hit a small fade with them which is what I've been trying to do all year. On tight holes, off the tee I've been hitting a 4i and nuked one 2 weeks ago at 227, a PB. Of course, that was coming off a par 5 where I went into it +1 and left +4 so my chilli was running a tad bit hot.

My sole disappointment has been with the Arccos sensors in the grips and the stand alone sensors. Even after working with the technical team, buying a brand new phone and using some of their dev software, only about 60% of the shots are being tracked.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • AucavemanAucaveman Members  185WRX Points: 83Handicap: 7Posts: 185 Fairways

On -, @DavePelz4 said:

On -, @Aucaveman said:

So again, i got them Friday and had the club championship today. Had a little hesitation taking them out, but my confidence is much higher with these than the 919 forged. I shot 74 with a three putt. I didn't make a putt all day. I was the club house leader with the 3 strongest players yet to come in. I'll definitely be in the championship flight tomorrow. Here's hoping tomorrow I'll at least make those short putts i missed today.

What was the outcome of your tourney???

Well, unfortunately, i hurt my back on hole #2 and didn't get to finish. But I'm still rocking the ols. I shot in the 70s all weekend and my putting has been horrible. Shot 78 tonight and was just a couple over through 12 on the second round until it got dark.

Posted:
  • boggymanboggyman Members  2956WRX Points: 353Posts: 2,956 Titanium Tees

I’m coming back to the OL. Put order in yesterday thru local dealer. This time they’ll be 1/2 short with Px 5.5. Had the F8 OL and like a dummy sold them. When I played them before I was playing good golf and not even remotely interested in other irons. Hoping the turn around time isn’t too long.

Posted:
  • grantc79grantc79 New OrleansMembers  652WRX Points: 189Handicap: 2.7Posts: 652 Golden Tee

Rocked the one lengths for most of 2019.

Handicap dropped from in the 8's to 3.2 by the end of the year.

A large chunk was due to one length but even larger chunk due to single plane.

Posted:
    Ask me tomorrow. 

My Cobra Forged Ones are still in the bag (with some tweaks/mods), but they've served me well. I'm definitely considering replacing them in the near future, but only to get a full fitting (likely with graphite shafts).

Good luck in 2020 to all the single-length folks.

Posted:
  • NokeNoke Unregistered  2239WRX Points: 298Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees

Anyone with teaser tiddlers about the new Wishon SL irons? Are they still going to be called Sterling?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ShallowbutDeadlyShallowbutDeadly Members  177WRX Points: 78Posts: 177 Fairways

They are no longer a collab with Sterling. Sterling has the rights to use the older design and the new design will be a Wishon product.

They may be available around March.

Posted:
  • BigBodBigBod Operations Director, Diamond Golf International & Wishon Golf Littlehampton, UKMembers  78WRX Points: 61Posts: 78 Fairways

No, they won't be called Sterling. I'm not a liberty to give anything away at the moment. I'm under strict instructions....

Posted:
  • gparrgparr Members, Paid BST  29WRX Points: 26Posts: 29 Bunkers

I am currently being fitted for Sterlings...would it behoove me to tell my fitter I want to wait and see what Tom has coming out...or just continue onward?

Posted:
  • BigBodBigBod Operations Director, Diamond Golf International & Wishon Golf Littlehampton, UKMembers  78WRX Points: 61Posts: 78 Fairways

I guess it depends if you can wait...we are looking at March/April before the first delivery arrives....Chinese New Year slows everything up this time of year...

Posted:
  • Otis2014Otis2014 Members  3WRX Points: 14Posts: 3 Starters

Hello, my One Length brothers!

Have started my OL journey. Made the decision in late 2019 to go this route and bought an F9 PW just so I could mess around over the winter, hit a few balls and get used to the longer length with my short game.

Am getting fitted next week.

Wish me well!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers  1148WRX Points: 400Handicap: +2.8Posts: 1,148 Platinum Tees

Question for all of you Single Length veterans... why would someone want to switch to Single Length clubs?

By this I mean, what would it be about someone's game, swing, etc. that would lead to Single Length being a good alternative/solution for them? We know what it takes for other clubs such as hybrids; higher ball flight if they are hitting long irons too low, might get better consistency if they have a wide strike pattern, etc.

But what is it about someone's swing or results that would make a person go, "Ah, I think you need to try Single Length".

Posted:
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer

For me, there were a few areas where I could gain simplicity/efficiency by going to SL.

1) Practice time... Theoretically, less time required to figure out ball position, etc.

2) Easier to hit long irons... long irons are difficult. There are some quirks to SL long irons (distance bunching/loss, etc), but I can say without a doubt that I make better contact with my 3/4/5 than I did with my old 4/5.

3) Simplified swing plane... for those of us who have swing flaws that become more present in long irons, developing a more single-plane swing can be very helpful.

I've enjoyed the shorter long irons wayyyyyy more than the longer short irons, so I've contemplated many times blending a set of 3-7 SL's and 8-SW VL's. Right now I have my 3-5 reshafted with graphite, playing about 3/4" longer than my 6-P, then I use standard length wedges. So my irons/wedges are essentially 3-lengths. All things considered, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to hitting a standard length 3 or 4 iron again.

Posted:
  • rjr25rjr25 New HampshireMembers  272WRX Points: 68Handicap: 11Posts: 272 Greens

I did this this past season. After full SL in 2018, went with a 5&6 SL and 7-W VL (also a SL hybrid) just due to the ease of hitting the long irons and hybrid in a SL. My current set is a blend of SL F7's and VL Forged Tec blacks. Looking to get all of the same set (new forged tecs) and do the same blend, 5&6 SL and 7 down in VL. Question for anyone else that may be doing this, what do you do with shafts between the sets? What I mean by that is should I be looking to get the same shafts in both, or is there some benefit to looking into perhaps a shaft with different characteristics in the SL vs the VL (higher launch for example)?

Posted:
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra F8 OL Hybrid 22
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    Evnroll ER2 Midblade 35
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers  1148WRX Points: 400Handicap: +2.8Posts: 1,148 Platinum Tees

Anyone consider doing the reverse? i.e. SL short irons PW-7/6 irons, and then VL irons from there on?

Posted:
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer

I like steel shafts for feedback and accuracy, but in the 3-5 irons I didn't feel like I needed that quite as much. For those, I would generally be hitting from a better lie, better stance, or be hitting to a "spot" rather than pin hunting.

I'm also considering a rebuild, so I'll be re-thinking my setup later in the year. My Forged One's are still holding up great but I'd like to start from the ground up and build a new mixed set of SL/VL irons.

Posted:

Advertisement

I'm a Single Length newbie but I made the switch for one reason - simplicity. I'm amazed at how confident I am at address. It's nice to only have one swing thought no matter what iron is in my hands.

Please don't give me too much guff ... I was fitted in January and ordered new SpeedZone One Length irons from Cobra. I've been to the simulator twice since I received the new irons 10 days ago and I can't say I ever been more excited for a year of golf. So comfortable.

Posted:

I like the idea of the shorter irons being longer. I’m 6’2” with golf shoes on, so a taller-ish golfer. I have often felt like a standard 35-35.5” wedge just felt slightly too short for my swing unless I bent way over. But I don’t know if I like the idea of long irons being so short.

I’ve been thinking of going single-length up to, say, the 7-iron, then being .5” increments from there or something. I do like the idea of length consistency when you get to more “scoring irons” like an 8-iron and down.

Posted:
    - Arnold Palmer
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7292WRX Points: 1,356Handicap: 7Posts: 7,292 Titanium Tees

Maybe topic for a different thread, but Pinhawk now offers a two length set up. 6i on down are 8 iron length, 3i-5i are at 5 iron length.

They mention they are very much game improvement style clubheads, with all that entails. If that style of clubhead doesn't appeal, they won't fill the gap.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • DarthFader17DarthFader17 Members  40WRX Points: 22Posts: 40 Bunkers

I am also super interested here...

just had a eureka moment and was like "why do I have to go all one length? or all Variable? I love my 8 iron and hate everything below, so do 8i length 4-8 and play the rest of the set as normal."

Glad to see I'm not totally crazy! One would think that with all the distance gains and weird gapping that happens today with the "Players distance" category, and the hot faces, that it's actually smart to smooth it out with single length?

BUT, am curious if I should consider other shaft options for the 4-8...

For example, if I wanted to buy a club pack from GolfWorks or something like that, could I just have them cut the lengths of the standard shafts all to 8 i and be done with it? or do I need to consider other factors?

Thanks guys

Posted:

I'm 6-3 and faced the same dilemma with my wedges. The 3 hybrid initially felt awfully short but it only took a few swings to get used to it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Tax77Tax77 Members  15WRX Points: 48Posts: 15 Bunkers

I've been thinking about going SL in the long irons all winter, I usually choke down on my 5-7 to just under 37 inches. How are the F9s in the 5 6 7, I looked through this thread but not much on these particular irons, I'm short and they seem to be pretty upright.

Posted:

They’re actually pretty flat to me. I’ve had mine bent to 2* upright with no problem. Very forgiving iron. I’ve got 2 sets of them, one in graphite stiff, the other set has Px 5.5 in them. Also still have a set of F8s as well.

Posted:
  • Tax77Tax77 Members  15WRX Points: 48Posts: 15 Bunkers

If you were playing for dough would you put the 8 or 9 in your bag?

Posted:

Advertisement

9s hands down, due to the fact I custom ordered the ones with the 5.5s, 1/2 inch short, with OS GP grips. The stiff graphite’s are going head to head this week with them while we are down here in Florida. Although, for some reason the 8 head shake is more appealing to my eye, I’d pick the 9s, hands down. Have 4-SW in both sets. Love ‘em.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.