2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Buddies-Trip Tournament Format Ever!

This has been an event that we have organized for over 17 years. We have golfers from all over the country that come out and bring their friends for what has been described as the Golf Addicts Dream Golf Vacation. Compete in a two person best ball format over a week 4 days of Best Ball & 5th day Combined Aggregate. One package price with all the golf you can play in a week. Monday thru Friday rounds at La Quinta & PGA WEST includes morning tournament round with unlimited afternoon replay at all the PGA WEST & La Quitna Resort courses. A TRUE GOLF ADDICTS DREAM VACATION

Event Details

Saturday April 29, 2017

· Optional Bermuda Dunes Country Club Two Person Best Ball $100.00

· There will also be practice rates available at Desert Willow & La Quinta & PGA WEST

· Check in will be at Indian Palms Intervals or Bermuda Dunes if you participate in that event.

Sunday Morning 4 Person Team Mixer –

· Desert Willow Golf Resort – Firecliff Course

· Take Teams with lowest handicap and pair them with teams with highest handicaps till all teams are paired. You will score 1 Gross score and 2 Net scores. More details day of event.

Sunday Evening BBQ & Cocktail Party –

· On Sunday evening we will be hosting a BBQ & Cocktail Party at the Cooper Pool located at the Indian Palms Intervals Timeshare grounds. The timeshare is located on the Indian Palms Country Club & Resort grounds. If you’re staying off site see map more details.

· BBQ will begin around 7:00pm

Tournament Schedule – All start times are shotgun starts at 7:30pm except Wednesday is an Afternoon Tee Time 1:30pm

· Monday 5/1/2017 Dunes Course at La Quinta Resort

· Tuesday 5/2/2017 Nicklaus Tournament Course at PGA WEST

· Wednesday 5/3/2017 Norman Course at PGA WEST

· Thursday 5/4/2017 Mountain Course at La Quinta Resort

· Friday 5/5/2017 TPC Stadium at PGA WEST – Combined Aggregate

Tournament Format –

· 2 – Person Best Ball

· Four days of Best Ball (partner can pick up if out of the hole)

· Fifth day is combined aggregate (must hit every shot) pairings are based on week scores

· You will have 100% of your handicap throughout the tournament

· Team Combined Handicap below 10.0 play Championship Tees

Optional Honey Pot –

· There is an optional daily and week division honey pot payout. If you wish to be in the honey pot please bring cash when checking in. I can take CC but there will be a $5.00 surcharge

· 40% of each division gets paid out

· $20.00 Per Day Payout

· $50.00 Week Payout

· $150 Total to enter for honey pots

Daily Honey Pot

Daily Payouts

Week Honey Pot

Week Payouts

1st

$130.00

1st

$280.00

2nd

$120.00

2nd

$260.00

3rd

$110.00

3rd

$240.00

4th

$100.00

4th

$220.00

Total Daily

$460.00

Total Week

$1000.00

There are Five Daily Payouts and a Week Payout Total Honey Pot Payouts based on 10 Team Division $3300.00 per Division will be paid out. Based on all teams participating in honey pot.

Replay Rounds -

Cant make a week try our three day event The Shootout at PGA WEST

Warning....long post, but I've been running tournaments for trips with my buddies for years now, and figured some of you planning trips might appreciate this.

I use this format for an annual week long trip to Cap Cana in the Dominican Republic with 7 of my buddies. It's based on 6 competitive rounds and we each throw in $600 which covers your total action for the trip. You could use whatever amount you agree upon. I build a scoreboard using MS Excel and have it printed on poster sized foam board.

We have a pairings dinner prior to the trip and also establish everyones starting HC. This usually involves a bunch of banter because we don't simply go off of USGA HC index; we argue it out until we reach a consensus so no one has a perceived "edge." We determine HCs before the pairings drawing for obvious reasons. This format will seem a little complicated at first, but once you "get it," it's quite simple to understand and always makes for a fun and exciting tournament. I've included pretty much every detail, but if you have any questions just let me know. Enjoy...

TOURNAMENT FORMAT:

This tournament format is a partner's "modified net" Stableford competition with a match play component. Player's receive 100% of their starting handicaps as the strokes fall on the card. Starting handicaps are determined by the committee. Points are awarded per hole as follows:

NET STABLEFORD SCORING SYSTEM:

Double Eagle = 12 points

Eagle = 8 points

Birdie = 4 points

Par = 2 points

Bogie = 1 point

Double Bogie = 0 points

Triple bogie or worse = -3 points

(all points awarded are for "NET" scores per hole)

Each player plays off of 100% handicap in this format. This means that in the Stableford portion of the competition, each player plays against an assumed quota of 36 points (theoretical "net" par through 18 holes = 36 points). Handicaps are adjusted daily by a maximum of 2 strokes, up or down, based on individual daily Stableford performance. Handicaps are not adjusted daily for match play.

Daily prizes are awarded to the best performing team. In addition to the Stableford score, there are bonus points awarded for the daily four-ball matches. Scoring for the match play portion of the competition is 1 point earned for winning the front nine, 1 point for winning the back nine, and 1 point for the overall match. Additionally, half points are awarded based on the winning team's "holes-won" margin. (e.g. Team A beats Team B 3 up overall, team A earns an additional 1 1/2 points.) (Also, halved nine hole matches earn each team 1/2 point.) Strokes for match play are at 100% off of the low player in the foursome based on each player's handicap at the start of the trip. Handicaps for the match play portion of the tournament remain fixed and are not adjusted daily.

Match play bonus points will be added to each team's Stableford "plus or minus" point total. (They will not, however, have any impact on handicap adjustments.) Daily and aggregate team points (plus or minus) and individual Stableford points (plus or minus) will be recorded on our score board. Aggregate team (plus or minus) points at the end of the tournament will ultimately determine our champions. Total individual Stableford (plus or minus points only) will determine our overall individual winner.

Daily HC ADJUSTMENTS:

There will be a maximum handicap adjustment of 2 strokes per round in either direction based upon each player's performance per round relative to their Stableford quota of 36 points (theoretical net Stableford par). Adjustments will be calculated utilizing the following scale:

Stableford Score Next Round Adjustment

-11 points or worse Add 2 strokes

-6 to -10 points Add 1 stroke

0 to -5 points No adjustment

+1 to +5 points Subtract 1 stroke

+6 points or better Subtract 2 strokes

NOTE: Only the players scoring in the ranges specified will get their handicaps adjusted for the subsequent round. Everyone has a legitimate chance of staying competitive in the overall tournament, but in the end, the best player(s) for the week will be identified. Please keep in mind the scoring format's inherent potential for significant point swings, combined with the daily handicap adjustments, can get you right back in the tournament…even after a bad round or two.

PAIRINGS & HANDICAPS:

A drawing was held prior to the trip to determine the following teams and HCs for the week:

TEAMS & PLAYER'S STARTING HANDICAPS:

1. Player#1 (9) and Player#2 (10)

2. Player#3 (11) and Player#4 (13)

3. Player#5 (4) and Player#6 (16)

4. Player#7 (16) and Player#8 (12)

The above teams were drawn in the order shown, so that order has been used to determine each team's number. We will follow a standard "Double Round-Robin" format in which teams will proceed through a rotation that will have each team facing off against each other twice, with the exception of the final round, where the leaders and their next closest competitors will play head to head for the championship.* We will hold a daily drawing to determine foursome sequence of play "honors." **

ROUND ROBIN FORMAT:

Round #1: 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4 Round #4: 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4

Round #2: 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4 Round #5: 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4

Round #3: 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3 Round #6: TBD

* If the tournament is close after Round #5, it is theoretically possible for a winner to emerge from the match between the teams in third and fourth place going into the final round.

** Leaders will have honors on the first tee within each match.

PRIZES / PAYOUTS:

Prize distribution based upon a $600 per man buy-in as follows:

Overall Team Championship: 1st - $1600.00 per team, 2nd: - $800.00 per team

Team Daily Combined Points vs. Field: 1st - $200.00 per team

Individual Points (only) vs. Field: 1st - $100.00 daily, 1st Overall (Medalist) - $600

(All payouts based on 6 rounds, $600.00 entry fee per man, $4,800.00 total pot.)

Ties in the daily competition and for anything other than 1st place in the overall competition will result in the prize money being split evenly amongst the players tied. Should the overall individual tournament end in a tie, we will have a 3 hole playoff.

The format for the playoff will be the same "net" Stableford scoring format used for the tournament, aggregate score of partners over 3 holes. Playoff participants will receive 100% of their final round handicap while playing holes 1, 2, and 3. Highest point total after those 3 holes determines our winner. If no winner is determined after the playoff, the play will continue onto hole number 4 to begin sudden death, continuing until a winner emerges.

Please pay your $600 entry fee promptly upon arrival.

Great event you put together!! you should check out my event that's held at Bermuda Dunes CC, Desert Willow Golf Resort, PGA WEST & La Quinta Resort. I also pay out $100.00 or $200.00 for every team that players bring. Bring your friends, cause golf vacations are always better with your buddies!!

Eric Hoskinson

@dpb5031 I am organizing an 8 man golf trip to Palm Springs in May. Is there any way you could post your spreadsheet for me to use to organize? This format looks like a great time!!

If you can email it to me that would be awesome... [email protected]

Thanks so much!

Zach

I organize two golf tournaments in Palm Springs area annually, my week long event is in its 18th Year & my three day event is in its 3rd year. Would love to get your group down this year. I pay out $200.00 for each team that you bring down to the event.

Check out our websites for more information.

www.fungolfvacations.com

www.shootoutatpgawest.com

You can also send me an email at [email protected]

Eric Hoskinson

• 1 month later...

I've emailed the tournament format documents including the rules and scoreboard Excel sheet to quite a few GolfWRXers who wanted to give this a try for an upcoming trip.

It would be cool to hear comments and feedback posted here about how it worked out for those of you who have tried it.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 4 months later...

Just returned from another great trip utilizing the format detailed above in this thread. It never disappoints!

I've had a bunch of requests for the WORD document describing the format and the EXCEL doc used for the scoreboard. Anyone interested just PM me with an email address and I'll send 'email to you. Also happy to answer any questions!

I just stumbled onto this thread, and would love these documents if you still have them.

Thanks,

drkla

Shoot me a PM with your email a dress and I'll email you the docs.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 1 month later...

Back from a week on Hilton Head Island during Masters Week. 9 rounds total in 7 days (the first 6 were the competition), including enjoying the Tuesday Practice Round at Augusta. We used Dewey's modified stableford format. I'll admit the first couple of rounds were rough, mostly because we were playing two rounds a day, so I had an extremely short turnaround between the end of one round and beginning of the next! That said, I was fine after the first day.

The winners were the best golfers of the week, but the adjustments made the overall individual scoring much closer than our previous multi-round competitions. First and second were separated buy a point in the end, and had there been another 9 holes - the second place individual would have won, I'm sure. 3 of the 4 teams had a shot at the team overall going into the last round and it made for an exciting last day for sure!

Thanks Dewey, the guys enjoyed the format - but they were sure glad I was the one doing all the work! I appreciate your information and the help provided. Give this one a shot sometime fellas, you'll enjoy it!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback glaars! Sounds like you guys had a great time and played a ton of golf!

This should be obvious to anyone who's looked at the format, but I want to point out that this scoring system will not perfectly reconcile with each player's regular net score. This is because the points awarded for birdies and eagles, be they net or gross, are disproportionately higher, plus there's the -3 points for net triple bogey or worse.

I had an instance where a guy running a trip received complaints because players with the lowest net score for the day (using traditional scoring) did not always make as many points as another player who's net score (using regular scoring) was not as good. Again, this is an alternative scoring system that rewards birdies and eagles (net &gross), makes for exciting swings on the leader board, and gives everyone a shot at being "in it" until the end. It's not intended to be standard gross/net, otherwise what would be the point?

The best way to think of it is to go out there and make as many points as you can in a given round!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thanks for your great work and for sharing it. Since you've obviously thought a lot about the organization, I have a question that you may be able to help with.

A group of us are soon headed to RTJ for ten rounds in five days and would like to use a Quota/Chicago-based format. Indexes range from 6.1 to 16.5.

Question - How could we adjust quotas for the next day for different courses (rating, slope, tees) played?

All that I've read about quota adjustments seem to assume the same course is played each day, I don't want to recalculate USGA handicaps each day, just quotas. Since the quotas used on Day 1 are directly related to USGA handicaps, Day 1 is easy. But the course rating/slope will be much different on other courses, so it seems there needs to be some sort of quota adjustment for the various courses.

Adjusting the quotas at the end of each day seems like a good way to recognize when someone is having an easy or tough time on the trip (more likely the latter), keeping them interested for the entire week.

We'll be using course handicaps for "daily" games, but a quota format to determine an overall winner for the week.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Adjusting the quotas at the end of each day seems like a good way to recognize when someone is having an easy or tough time on the trip (more likely the latter), keeping them interested for the entire week.

How wide a variance are you expecting in slope ratings? HC is determined by index inputted versus course slope rating on GHIN. It will only make a difference if the courses you are playing have a significant variance in slope rating, which may be unlikely?

If there is a significant variance, I would use each player's starting index as a baseline. Keep track of it separately and add or subtract whatever is indicated in my format for adjustments (+ or - 2 max), then calculate the next day's HC using the adjusted index versus slope.

So if a player is supposed to pick up 2 handicap strokes after round #1, figure out his index, add 2 strokes to his original index, then recalculate course HC for slope.

Not exactly science but should work just fine.

Your other option is not to worry about adjusting for each course as long as they're all in the same neighborhood in terms of slope.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thanks for the quick reply.

The courses, which will be new to all of us, have a slope differential of 10 between hardest and easiest over the week.

To be sure I understand your recommendation above, you'd suggest daily modifying of the GHIN index by the Quota adjustments (+/- 2 max) then using the resulting new index to calculate the next day's Quota number?

Since we'll all be playing the same courses, it might not matter all that much. I am most concerned about avoiding disinterest/disgust for the higher handicappers due to the anticipated course difficulties.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The courses, which will be new to all of us, have a slope differential of 10 between hardest and easiest over the week.

To be sure I understand your recommendation above, you'd suggest daily modifying of the GHIN index by the Quota adjustments (+/- 2 max) then using the resulting new index to calculate the next day's Quota number?

Since we'll all be playing the same courses, it might not matter all that much. I am most concerned about avoiding disinterest/disgust for the higher handicappers due to the anticipated course difficulties.

Thanks again.

Yea, you got it! Not perfect science, but it will work fine!

BTW, your high handicappers are getting 100% handicap in a system that rewards "NET" birdies and eagles with bonus points. They really should not be complaining!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 1 year later...

Just got back from our annual 8 person trip to Bend, OR using a modified version of this format. Due to our wide range of handicaps of the group, I adjusted everyone's handicap off of my own since I'm the lowest to bring some of the super high handicaps down to a normal level. All it did was adjust the quota to 27 instead of 36. We used a combination of the net stableford and awarded points for holes won in best ball matches across the whole round rather than breaking it up per 9. I wanted to do it this because in the normal match play format, we had guys "quit" once the matches got dormie or lost. Having match play points across every hole kept everyone more engaged.

Everyone really liked the format as it was pretty easy to get. The only complaints I got were from guys that didn't beat the quota or were frustrated that the opportunity a high 'capper can get a net double eagle. I had everything in excel so once I showed them that a solution was for them to play better and also the high 'cappers can also make more triple bogeys, they understood the format made sense.

The format did give us some huge point swings for the team format (one team got super hot the second day and won the day by 50!!) but it also gave the other team hope as they could mount a massive comeback as well. We paid out the teams and top 3 individual and it worked that almost everyone got something.

Thanks again for the format, it was a huge help!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Warning....long post, but I've been running tournaments for trips with my buddies for years now, and figured some of you planning trips might appreciate this.

I use this format for an annual week long trip to Cap Cana in the Dominican Republic with 7 of my buddies. It's based on 6 competitive rounds and we each throw in $600 which covers your total action for the trip. You could use whatever amount you agree upon. I build a scoreboard using MS Excel and have it printed on poster sized foam board.

We have a pairings dinner prior to the trip and also establish everyones starting HC. This usually involves a bunch of banter because we don't simply go off of USGA HC index; we argue it out until we reach a consensus so no one has a perceived "edge." We determine HCs before the pairings drawing for obvious reasons. This format will seem a little complicated at first, but once you "get it," it's quite simple to understand and always makes for a fun and exciting tournament. I've included pretty much every detail, but if you have any questions just let me know. Enjoy...

TOURNAMENT FORMAT:

This tournament format is a partner's "modified net" Stableford competition with a match play component. Player's receive 100% of their starting handicaps as the strokes fall on the card. Starting handicaps are determined by the committee. Points are awarded per hole as follows:

NET STABLEFORD SCORING SYSTEM:

Double Eagle = 12 points

Eagle = 8 points

Birdie = 4 points

Par = 2 points

Bogie = 1 point

Double Bogie = 0 points

Triple bogie or worse = -3 points

(all points awarded are for "NET" scores per hole)

Each player plays off of 100% handicap in this format. This means that in the Stableford portion of the competition, each player plays against an assumed quota of 36 points (theoretical "net" par through 18 holes = 36 points). Handicaps are adjusted daily by a maximum of 2 strokes, up or down, based on individual daily Stableford performance. Handicaps are not adjusted daily for match play.

Daily prizes are awarded to the best performing team. In addition to the Stableford score, there are bonus points awarded for the daily four-ball matches. Scoring for the match play portion of the competition is 1 point earned for winning the front nine, 1 point for winning the back nine, and 1 point for the overall match. Additionally, half points are awarded based on the winning team's "holes-won" margin. (e.g. Team A beats Team B 3 up overall, team A earns an additional 1 1/2 points.) (Also, halved nine hole matches earn each team 1/2 point.) Strokes for match play are at 100% off of the low player in the foursome based on each player's handicap at the start of the trip. Handicaps for the match play portion of the tournament remain fixed and are not adjusted daily.

Match play bonus points will be added to each team's Stableford "plus or minus" point total. (They will not, however, have any impact on handicap adjustments.) Daily and aggregate team points (plus or minus) and individual Stableford points (plus or minus) will be recorded on our score board. Aggregate team (plus or minus) points at the end of the tournament will ultimately determine our champions. Total individual Stableford (plus or minus points only) will determine our overall individual winner.

Daily HC ADJUSTMENTS:

There will be a maximum handicap adjustment of 2 strokes per round in either direction based upon each player's performance per round relative to their Stableford quota of 36 points (theoretical net Stableford par). Adjustments will be calculated utilizing the following scale:

Stableford Score Next Round Adjustment

-11 points or worse Add 2 strokes

-6 to -10 points Add 1 stroke

0 to -5 points No adjustment

+1 to +5 points Subtract 1 stroke

+6 points or better Subtract 2 strokes

NOTE: Only the players scoring in the ranges specified will get their handicaps adjusted for the subsequent round. Everyone has a legitimate chance of staying competitive in the overall tournament, but in the end, the best player(s) for the week will be identified. Please keep in mind the scoring format's inherent potential for significant point swings, combined with the daily handicap adjustments, can get you right back in the tournament…even after a bad round or two.

PAIRINGS & HANDICAPS:

A drawing was held prior to the trip to determine the following teams and HCs for the week:

TEAMS & PLAYER'S STARTING HANDICAPS:

1. Player#1 (9) and Player#2 (10)

2. Player#3 (11) and Player#4 (13)

3. Player#5 (4) and Player#6 (16)

4. Player#7 (16) and Player#8 (12)

The above teams were drawn in the order shown, so that order has been used to determine each team's number. We will follow a standard "Double Round-Robin" format in which teams will proceed through a rotation that will have each team facing off against each other twice, with the exception of the final round, where the leaders and their next closest competitors will play head to head for the championship.* We will hold a daily drawing to determine foursome sequence of play "honors." **

ROUND ROBIN FORMAT:

Round #1: 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4 Round #4: 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4

Round #2: 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4 Round #5: 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4

Round #3: 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3 Round #6: TBD

* If the tournament is close after Round #5, it is theoretically possible for a winner to emerge from the match between the teams in third and fourth place going into the final round.

** Leaders will have honors on the first tee within each match.

PRIZES / PAYOUTS:

Prize distribution based upon a $600 per man buy-in as follows:

Overall Team Championship: 1st - $1600.00 per team, 2nd: - $800.00 per team

Team Daily Combined Points vs. Field: 1st - $200.00 per team

Individual Points (only) vs. Field: 1st - $100.00 daily, 1st Overall (Medalist) - $600

(All payouts based on 6 rounds, $600.00 entry fee per man, $4,800.00 total pot.)

Ties in the daily competition and for anything other than 1st place in the overall competition will result in the prize money being split evenly amongst the players tied. Should the overall individual tournament end in a tie, we will have a 3 hole playoff.

The format for the playoff will be the same "net" Stableford scoring format used for the tournament, aggregate score of partners over 3 holes. Playoff participants will receive 100% of their final round handicap while playing holes 1, 2, and 3. Highest point total after those 3 holes determines our winner. If no winner is determined after the playoff, the play will continue onto hole number 4 to begin sudden death, continuing until a winner emerges.

Please pay your $600 entry fee promptly upon arrival.

Great event you put together!! you should check out my event that's held at Bermuda Dunes CC, Desert Willow Golf Resort, PGA WEST & La Quinta Resort. I also pay out $100.00 or $200.00 for every team that players bring. Bring your friends, cause golf vacations are always better with your buddies!!

Eric Hoskinson

I love this format for a golf trip. Easy concrete way to adjust handicaps during the trip to keep things close.

Has anyone noticed a difference between playing 36 or 39 points? For example does 39 favor the Low Handicapper or the High? To me playing 36 makes more sense and more likely to in is positive numbers, but reading a lot of different forms seems like Chicago or 39 seems more common, just wondering why? We are going to do this on a golf trip and I'm trying to decide to use 36 or 39. We have handicaps that range from 4 to 18. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 8 months later...

Quick question for the stableford part

If I have a guy who is 22 hdc. Did he get 2 shots on the 4 tougher hole and 1 shot on the remaining 14 ?

Here is the handicap in the group 5-10-15-18-18-18-18-22

Should I put the lower guy at 0 and the worst at 17 in order to prevent a guy to receive 2 shots on one hole ? So the new group hdc would be 0-5-10-13-13-13-13-17

Thanks

• 10 months later...

Revisiting this old thread. To answer the question, in my view any time you weight gross birdies and eagles as is done in Chicago point scoring, it favors the better players. The "net" Stableford scoring I use on trips is more fair across a wider range of handicaps.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Yes, everyone gets their strokes. I have not had to deal with anyone higher than about 16, but theoretically the 22 would get 2 shots on the 4 most difficult holes.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 1 month later...

Nice! How many guys, and where to? We just returned from our annual to the Dominican Republic. Great time as usual.

Let us know how it goes...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this format the past 2 years for my buddies trip. It definitely seemed to favor the higher handicap. I am going to modify it again. What pros/cons does this modified Stableford have over just standard stableford?

Our group handicaps range from 6 to 22 and the actual biggest handicap is the partying late and little sleep it seems.