I swear I'm not trying to sandbag...

madeinguam81 ·  
madeinguam81madeinguam81 Members  410WRX Points: 80Posts: 410 Greens

I play the Disney Oak Trail 9 hole course twice a week before work with the first or second tee time of the day. Oak Trail is a par 36, CR 33.7 Slope 119 and only 2913 yards. It's a very short course but it is not easy. The fairways are tight and the greens are very small with rarely a straight putt (among other challenges).

For a while, I was not logging my rounds because I looked at them more like practice and just trying to walk a quick 9 before work. Well, I learned that I need to post ALL scores for a legit GHIN Handicap.

I like to think I'm a longer hitter (285+ off the tee, 160 8i for example) and when I play 18 holes at more full length and "proper" courses once a month, I play about 6800 yds. These 18 hole rounds were the only rounds I was posting and based on those I'm a 7.9 index (trending the wrong way).

My concern is that it is so easy to put up a big number at Oak Trail that I feel I will be artificially inflating my index based on the high number of rounds I play there. Just this week I put up a +5 and a +7 on 9 holes. On 18 on a full length course, I'm hovering 80.

Is there any truth to what I'm feeling? Does my future, likely higher, handicap come with an asterisk?

Thanks for any advice!

Posted:
TM M5 - Tensei Red
Ping G400 3 Wood - Alta
Ping G410 5 Wood SFT - Alta
TM P790 4-PW, Ctaper Lite
Cleveland Raw RTX 4 Wedges - 50, 54 (bent to 55), 60
Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch 

Comments

• Sean2Sean2 Members  32506WRX Points: 2,526Posts: 32,506 Titanium Tees

It might be easy to post a big number at Oak Trail, but it is still a golf course, and you played it, so if it were me I would post the round(s). And, unless you play it all the time, it is much easier for your HI to drop then it is to go up. Remember they take the 8 best scores of your last 20 rounds.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  2825WRX Points: 1,108Posts: 2,825 Titanium Tees

Artificially low? Yes. High? No, unless you're doing really bad for 9 holes for some reason.

18 holes brings more fatigue and more chances to screw up your round especially after the turn.

My home course has an additional 9 holes, and even though its a 3300yd course with a 137 slope, I can still easily score in the low 80's when GHIN doubles my 9 hole score - where as many of my 18-hole scores are in the high 80's this year.

Posted:

Epic Flash / Apex / MD4 / Spider + ATMOS Black / Kai'li / Pro 2.0 / Nippon / 610

• davep043davep043 Members  4881WRX Points: 2,105Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,881 Titanium Tees

In my opinion, if you're always trying to shoot the best score you can, and you post scores in accordance with the Handicap Rules, your handicap is as accurate as it possibly can be. Different courses affect each of us differently. If you were choosing a specific course in order to manipulate your handicap, I'd have a problem with that, but you're just playing when and where you're able to play. Play by the rules, post by the rules, you're doing the right thing.

PS, I assume you're playing these 9-holers in the company of other folks, I'm sure you understand that you can't post scores when you've played on your own.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• C6 SnowboarderC6 Snowboarder Members  129WRX Points: 75Handicap: 6.6Posts: 129 Fairways

Do you know GHIN does not double a score at anytime.. IF you post a 9 hole score -- GHIN waits until you score and post another 9 hole score.. even if it take a month of sundays to do that.

Posted:
  • madeinguam81madeinguam81 Members  410WRX Points: 80Posts: 410 Greens

I play it twice a week so for the month GHIN would record 4 full rounds. I will play a 18 hole full length course about once a month - so 20% of the time.

Posted:
    TM M5 - Tensei Red
    Ping G400 3 Wood - Alta
    Ping G410 5 Wood SFT - Alta
    TM P790 4-PW, Ctaper Lite
    Cleveland Raw RTX 4 Wedges - 50, 54 (bent to 55), 60
    Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch 
  • ImpImp Fueled Members  6211WRX Points: 284Handicap: 12.6Posts: 6,211 Titanium Tees

That's fine. If that's your score, and others are playing with you (not the only one on the tee), then post them. Course/slope all factor into it. This is the way. I have spoken.

--kC

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*

Advertisement
  • Shades234Shades234 San DiegoMembers  430WRX Points: 179Handicap: 1.2Posts: 430 Greens

As long as you're playing with other people and not taking more than a net double bogey on any hole. You're not bagging.

Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29459WRX Points: 2,391Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,459 Titanium Tees

If you play by the rules and post your scores you are fine. These things can happen to anyone, wouldn't stress too much

Posted:
    Cobra King F9 w/Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra King F9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g
  • davep043davep043 Members  4881WRX Points: 2,105Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,881 Titanium Tees

I'll go a step further than I did initially, further than anyone has said so far. If you choose NOT to post certain scores, particularly if your reason is that those scores will move your handicap, you're cheating. Intentionally manipulating your handicap is simply wrong, no matter whether your intent is to keep it higher or lower. I think your motives are pure, you don't want your handicap to go up unfairly, but all anyone should ever expect you to do is to follow the rules.

Posted:

• JimmyC59JimmyC59 Members  81WRX Points: 76Posts: 81 Fairways

Post all your scores.

That's it.

Posted:
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers  6824WRX Points: 597Posts: 6,824 Titanium Tees

Not if playing alone. He hasn’t answered that question.

Posted:

Advertisement

Yes of course.

I play s5lone a lot, didn't belong to a handicap organization last year, but will be joining this year. Don't know what I'm going to do about that. I want to post all of my scores, but don't want to be accused of impropriety. I WANT my handicap to go down.

Posted:

Alone*

Posted:
  • kozubskozubs Members  304WRX Points: 98Handicap: 5Posts: 304 Greens

My worst course is my home course. It isn't rated very high but has narrow fairways with very deep rough and thick trees everywhere but has very few forced carries or water which I think drops the rating. Everytime I play somewhere else, even much higher rated courses I nearly always shoot my hdcp or better. Just one of those things and means my hdcp travels well.

Posted:
  • lopey986lopey986 ClubWRX  2341WRX Points: 361Posts: 2,341 Platinum Tees

I don't see the problem with posting scores while playing alone if you're being honest. I usually don't post those because when I play alone I never play a true round of golf, I tee off a couple times a hole, pick my best one and hit my second shot. Usually end up dropping about 5 balls around 100 yards and working some wedge shots.

But if i played a true round of golf alone and kept an honest score i'd have no problem posting that.

Posted:

The problem is that its against the rules. I'm sure if you look you can find long discussions about the reasons for the rule, but its been the rule for 4 years now, I believe. All anyone can ask is that each player follow the rules, both when playing and when posting scores. Personally, I'd say that breaking the rules specifically means you're not being honest.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint LouisMembers  286WRX Points: 64Handicap: 12Posts: 286 Greens

Agreed, also even if i'm playing with people they aren't monitoring my score. We go to have fun, not act like we are in the Masters. Not to mention my scores go in my phone so they aren't logging into the app every hole to verify what i recorded.

Also not everyone has the time or group of friends to play consistently with another person. A lot of times my justification to my wife in order to play is 'i'm playing alone, i'll be able to knock out 18 in 3 hours'.

Posted:
  • BingoneBingone Members  16WRX Points: 23Posts: 16 Bunkers

I agree. I usually play in the tropics, and the first nine are usually easier to score - you don't really need a warm up and you feel fresh. By the time you have been blasted with hot sun, 90F and 80-90% humidity for a couple of hours, your back nine can easily unravel. I have a stack of sub 40 front nines with mid 40 back nines that I know would screw my handicap if I was just playing 9

Posted:

Srixon 565 Speeder Evo

RBZ 3 wood

Srixon u65 2 iron

Cobra F6 22 degrees

Srixon 945 5-PW, S200

Miura Y 51, K56, Vokey SM4 60

Odyssey 7 putter

Srixon z star balls

• RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NYMembers  1214WRX Points: 293Handicap: 7.1Posts: 1,214 Platinum Tees

When I read the title of this thread I was looking to see if Larry Fitzgerald was in here. :-)

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • Shades234Shades234 San DiegoMembers  430WRX Points: 179Handicap: 1.2Posts: 430 Greens

To be fair, Streelman finished solo 2nd at -15 w/ 10 bogeys throughout the 4 rounds. It's not THAT crazy for them to win if Fitz is playing halfway decent. Wish we could see amateur scorecards on the live scoring, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

2018 was much worse IMO.

Posted:
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4313WRX Points: 1,407Posts: 4,313 Titanium Tees

Another thing on posting your scores to GHIN is where you live. There are parts of the USA where it is not required that you post all of your scores. Some states, due to weather/playing conditions, have Inactive periods where your rounds are not required to be posted for index purposes. Here is the USGA list.

https://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/handicap-active-and-inactive-season-schedule-25489.html

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3194WRX Points: 798Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,194 Titanium Tees

Thats not a hard course based on those ratings...your handicap can inflate pretty quickly off that course if you play poorly. You have to shoot 3 under to be a scratch there...

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2650WRX Points: 514Handicap: 11Posts: 2,650 Titanium Tees

Play golf, post your scores properly and your handicap is what it is. You're not sandbagging.

Posted:
    • XXIO Prime 10.5*
    • Cobra Max 5w
    • Callaway BB 6h
    • Maltby TE Forged 6 - GW
    • Callaway PM Grind  56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  455WRX Points: 260Handicap: 10.3Posts: 455 Greens

GHIN doesn't double 9-hole scores. They are pending until you post a second 9-hole score, and then those two rounds are posted as a "C" (combined) round.

I'll also strongly disagree that 9-hole rounds will make your index go down. It's just as likely to have a round where it takes a few holes to find your rhythm and have a slightly inflated 9-hole score as it is to have a round where you start out hot right out of the gate and have a lower-than-normal 9-hole score. An 18-hole round may have more opportunity for mistakes, but it also has more opportunity to find your rhythm and make quality shots. I'm not exactly a fitness guru, but once golf season gets rolling, there is no fatigue factor for me playing 18 vs. 9. Some of my best rounds in the last couple years have been the second time around when I play 36 on Saturday and Sunday.

I've actually watched this very closely. Typically during prime season, about 1/3 of my rounds are combined rounds, 2/3 are full 18 hole rounds. My top 20 scores used for my handicap are typically right around 3/4 18-hole rounds.

Posted:
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11592WRX Points: 477Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,592 Titanium Tees

18 holes also brings the opportunity to right a bad few holes in the start of the round and to get into a rhythm.

Posted:
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3641WRX Points: 207Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,641 ClubWRX

Not really your fault but you are doing yourself a disservice. I think that you need to change venues to see if your handicap is transferable. If I played the same course over and over I too can probably drop my score even more. But once i play a course with different challenges, suddenly I get a high score.

Posted:
    Tourstage 9* Graphite Design MJ
    Callaway Subzero 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Taylormade sldr 2 hybrid 19* 
    Callaway 3 iron C taper 110
    Bridgestone Tour B XCB 4-PW
    Callaway MD4 52/58  C taper 110
    Titleist Fast back
    Taylormade Tourpreffered X

Advertisement
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3194WRX Points: 798Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,194 Titanium Tees

Another thing to remember, a few bad rounds don't hurt your cap slas long as you're having some good rounds in between. A bad round just pushes your oldest of your last 20 out of the calculation. Which could be another bad round or a good round, so if it's the former it does nothing to your cap.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • tacklingdummytacklingdummy Members  146WRX Points: 82Posts: 146 Fairways

If you associated with the GHIN system, then you need to post all your scores. However, not many people know this, but you only have to play 13 holes by the rules of golf to post an 18 hole score. The other 5 holes you just adjust according to your handicap. For 9 holes, you only have to play 7 holes by rules of golf.

Here is an article explaining it.

https://www.liveabout.com/incomplete-rounds-and-handicaps-1561060

Posted:

That number has now changed to 14 holes complete, in order to post an 18-hole score. This is now consistent with the requirement to post a 9-hole score if you play at least 7 holes.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tacklingdummytacklingdummy Members  146WRX Points: 82Posts: 146 Fairways
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.