2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Use a chipper club or not?

Tanner25

A good mechanic will tell you that while several tools may sometimes suffice, only one is perfect for the job... :yes:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

A good carpenter will tell you that while more than one tool 'may' work, there is usually only one perfect for the job... :yes:

you don't think 42* is too much loft for a chipper? I'm thinking 37* is more appropriate....

For me, this particular club, at 42* seems to be the perfect loft for chip shots, and this loft makes the club easier to spin and more versatile should a greenside lie be a bit 'fluffy'. The original version of the Cleveland Niblick line featured (4) different lofts including a 37*, but Cleveland dropped the 37* loft with the 2011 Niblick redesign. Most players found that the 37* Niblick tended to 'run out' a bit too much on faster greens, although those playing courses with 'slow', or desert-type greens may like it.

That said, if you prefer a more putter-like chipper design from another brand, then the 37* loft is probably perfect. It is in fact typically the loft used for a putter-like 'chipper club'. The 2011 Niblick is simply a different breed, and really more of a 'hybrid wedge design'. It was designed as much for full swing shots from the fairway as for chipping around the green. That is also why it has 'PW' stamped on its sole. I would add that it is deadly accurate for full swing Pitching Wedge shots from the fairway thanks to the more upright lie than any conventional PW has.

I must also mention that I consider the 2011 49* Niblick perfect for PITCH shots and a great gap wedge for full swing shots from the fairway.

Like I said, the 42*, 49*, and 56* (2011) Niblicks aren't 'chippers', but rather 'hybrid wedges'... :yes:

Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts

A good carpenter will tell you that while more than one tool 'may' work, there is usually only one perfect for the job... :yes:

you don't think 42* is too much loft for a chipper? I'm thinking 37* is more appropriate....

For this particular club, 42* seems to be perfect loft for chipping, and it also makes the club more versatile. The original version of the Cleveland Niblick line featured (4) different lofts including a 37*, but Cleveland dropped it with the 2011 redesign. Most found that the 37* model tended to 'run out' too much on faster greens, although those who play courses with 'slow' greens were fine with it.

That said, if you prefer a 'putter-like' type of chipping club, then a 37* loft is fine, and is typcial for that type of club. However the 2011 Niblick is more of a 'short game hybrid wedge' designed as much for full swing shots as it is for chipping around the green. That is why you will see 'PW' stamped on it's sole.

I also find the 2011 49* Niblick to be perfect for pitch shots and a great gap wedge on full swings.

Interesting take. I think the only trouble with that here is that if any guys are interested its difficult to find that club let alone new....

For this particular club, 42* seems to be perfect loft for chipping, and it also makes the club more versatile. The original version of the Cleveland Niblick line featured (4) different lofts including a 37*, but Cleveland dropped it with the 2011 redesign. Most found that the 37* model tended to 'run out' too much on faster greens, although those who play courses with 'slow' greens were fine with it.

That said, if you prefer a 'putter-like' type of chipping club, then a 37* loft is fine, and is typcial for that type of club. However the 2011 Niblick is more of a 'short game hybrid wedge' designed as much for full swing shots as it is for chipping around the green. That is why you will see 'PW' stamped on it's sole.

I also find the 2011 49* Niblick to be perfect for pitch shots and a great gap wedge on full swings.

Interesting take. I think the only trouble with that here is that if any guys are interested its difficult to find that club let alone new....

Unfortunately, I have to agree...Seems once people have tried these, they don't want to part with them... :no2:

:golfer:

Aren't the Smart Sole C's more or less the same thing as the 2011 Niblick 42* PW?

http://www.cleveland...MARTSOLE2C.html

I haven't tried the 42* Smart Sole 'C' (Chipper), but keep in mind it is a full inch shorter in length, (34*), verses 35" which is the length of all (3) lofts in the 2011 Niblick series. The 34" length of the Smart Sole 'C" seems to me a bit too short for full swing shots from the fairway. That said, it looks similar, and has the same loft (42*) and lie, (66*), so I would expect it to play very similar to the 2011 Niblick PW for chip shots around the green. It seems Cleveland intended the Smart Sold 'C' to be more of a 'chipper', and less versatile than the 'hybrid wedge' approach the company used for the 2011 Niblick line. (Keep in mind you could always extend the Smart Sole 'C' shaft by an inch which would make the club length match, but an extra inch of shaft length would also add 6-swingweights to the Smart Sole 'C' Chipper.

I find it very odd that Cleveland isn't offering a 49* model for pitch shots in the Smart Sole line. To me it means the Smart Sole line is incomplete and Cleveland is missing an opportunity for sales there. There is a huge 16* gap between the 42* Smart Sole 'C' and the Smart Sole 58* SW. The latter SW is 35.25" in length with a 64* lie angle and high bounce.

I should also mention that my 3rd 2011 Niblick, the 56* SW, has high bounce too, (14*), so I also carry a Niblick-matching CG-16 Black Pearl 58* or 60* low bounce (8*) 'conventional wedge' for firm or wet sand, those buried lies, downslope lies in the sand or fairway, and any lob shots that must be executed from hardpan or a downslope fairway lie. We all face such difficult lies occasionally where using a 'high bounce' wedge actually works against us. However, for any 'normal lie', the Niblick 56* is my 'go to' wedge from the sand as well as the Lob shot. In fact, it is easily the 'most predictable distance' Lob Wedge ever for me, which was a very pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting.. For some reason, the Niblick 56* SW plays more like a 58* LW for any lob shot from a reasonable lie..

NIBLICK 56* LOFT SW - (14* HIGH BOUNCE)

LOW BOUNCE (8*) CONVENTIONAL WEDGE (60* LOFT SHOWN)

• 2 weeks later...

Diamond Tour Golf is where you need to go to get the most versatile hybrid chippers now. They are clones of the Niblicks in 56, 49, 42 degrees. You can order it with whatever shaft, grip you want. I also think you can get them in longer lengths. For under $30 you can't go wrong with these clubs. They are so valuable to me. I can hit full shots with them, knockdowns, chips and pitches. Great when your in the trees and need to punch out. I had the original Cleveland niblicks and traded/lost one of them. Couldn't hardly find any online anymore so ordered these for under $30 a each with stiff shaft and golf pride wrap grips. Best golf club purchase I have made this year. For that price, who cares if you just use them while getting over yips or when there is no grass or poor conditions on course. I love the 49 degree for bump and runs from tight lies. I just laugh at the old guys that continue to struggle with high lofted wedges and then snicker at me when I pull these out. I am a single digit player and most of them are 15+ guys. Many could use these clubs.

Yes, I got the chip yips one year and turned to these and have never looked back. I got over the yips, but just feel so much more confident with these.

• 10 months later...

I have the smart sole 3.0 C. Got bored one day in the PGASS and was chipping with it on the putting green on a very slow day at the store. Couple employees and myself had a good time with it. Walked out of the store with it, had it in my bag on one round and never used it. Took it out and now it sits. They have their place. Intended to use it on the dry thick winter grass around the greens and never got around to it. They are a fun club though. They inspire a lot of confidence around the green with their length and putter style lie.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Aren't the Smart Sole C's more or less the same thing as the 2011 Niblick 42* PW?

http://www.cleveland...MARTSOLE2C.html

I haven't tried the 42* Smart Sole 'C' (Chipper), but keep in mind it is a full inch shorter in length, (34*), verses 35" which is the length of all (3) lofts in the 2011 Niblick series. The 34" length of the Smart Sole 'C" seems to me a bit too short for full swing shots from the fairway. That said, it looks similar, and has the same loft (42*) and lie, (66*), so I would expect it to play very similar to the 2011 Niblick PW for chip shots around the green. It seems Cleveland intended the Smart Sold 'C' to be more of a 'chipper', and less versatile than the 'hybrid wedge' approach the company used for the 2011 Niblick line. (Keep in mind you could always extend the Smart Sole 'C' shaft by an inch which would make the club length match, but an extra inch of shaft length would also add 6-swingweights to the Smart Sole 'C' Chipper.

I find it very odd that Cleveland isn't offering a 49* model for pitch shots in the Smart Sole line. To me it means the Smart Sole line is incomplete and Cleveland is missing an opportunity for sales there. There is a huge 16* gap between the 42* Smart Sole 'C' and the Smart Sole 58* SW. The latter SW is 35.25" in length with a 64* lie angle and high bounce.

I should also mention that my 3rd 2011 Niblick, the 56* SW, has high bounce too, (14*), so I also carry a Niblick-matching CG-16 Black Pearl 58* or 60* low bounce (8*) 'conventional wedge' for firm or wet sand, those buried lies, downslope lies in the sand or fairway, and any lob shots that must be executed from hardpan or a downslope fairway lie. We all face such difficult lies occasionally where using a 'high bounce' wedge actually works against us. However, for any 'normal lie', the Niblick 56* is my 'go to' wedge from the sand as well as the Lob shot. In fact, it is easily the 'most predictable distance' Lob Wedge ever for me, which was a very pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting.. For some reason, the Niblick 56* SW plays more like a 58* LW for any lob shot from a reasonable lie..

NIBLICK 56* LOFT SW - (14* HIGH BOUNCE)

LOW BOUNCE (8*) CONVENTIONAL WEDGE (60* LOFT SHOWN)

A 50 degree cbx would fit in nicely in between the 2 smart sole wedges.

• 1 year later...

I carry Cleveland RTX4 wedges, 46-54-58 and I’m considered a good chipper with good technique etc. A while ago, I was struggling around the greens for confidence and so I bought a Cleveland chipper, if nothing else, to get some confidence back. I actually love it; it’s fun to use and I can use it all matter of ways. The confidence has returned so its out of the bag but every now and then I bring it out on the practice green much to the chagrin of my golfing buddies. At the end of the day, if it works for you, use it. 

• 11 months later...
On 12/1/2016 at 3:23 PM, John L. said:

The USGA on chippers:

4-1/3

Status of a Chipper

Q.What Rules apply to "chippers"?

A.A "chipper" is an iron club designed primarily for use off the putting green, generally with a loft greater than ten degrees. As most players adopt a "putting stroke" when using a chipper, there can be a tendency to design the club as if it was a putter. To eliminate confusion, the Rules which apply to "chippers" include:

• The shaft must be attached to the clubhead at the heel (Appendix II, 2c);
  • The grip must be circular in cross-section (Appendix II, 3(i)) and only one grip is permitted (Appendix II, 3(v));
  • The clubhead must be generally plain in shape (Appendix II, 4a) and have only one striking face (Appendix II, 4d); and
  • The face of the club must conform to specifications with regard to hardness, surface roughness, material and markings in the impact area (Appendix II, 5).

@John L. (or other knowledgeable GolfWRX members):
Would you know if the Rule on circular grips (2nd bullet-point in your list above) = still in-force? (presumably 'Yes'?)
i.e. A super-stroke putter grip (with square front) on my chipper = technically still non-conforming to the Rules of Golf?

Saw a youtube video (Link below, "Mr Short Game" experimenting with a SuperStroke grip on all manner of non-putter clubs: Driver, Irons, etc) circa Sept2020,
in which the YouTuber also complained the "circular grip" rule = "stupid",
given that you can also use your super-stroked putter from fairway/bunker/anywhere off the green...
but other clubs still have to have a circular grip?

• 6 months later...

So I recently put Arccos sensors on my clubs, and realized that after 7 rounds I've used my 58* one time.  I use the 54* almost exclusively. So it seems like a complete waste of a bag slot.

Now I'm considering a chipper cause it's a shot I face multiple time each round either from fairway or the green collar.

I'll put it in and see what Arccos shows and how it plays.  if I'm too much of a wimp to use it, I'll end up getting another hybrid for the 4H - 3W gap that I'll use once every 3 rounds 🙂

• Like 2

Inside 20 yards I mainly use my 7 iron for chipping and bump and runs. I grip down on it to place my hands in the same position as they are when putting, and I use a putting stroke. The exception is when I'm in rough, where it's harder to get the club face onto the ball. There I use my pitching wedge, played off the back foot. I have a chipper, it's been sitting in my garage for years. I needed room in the bag for an approach wedge that bridged the gap between pitching wedge and sand iron. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

Rumor has it Callaway is coming out with a new chipper 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I wouldn't characterize a chipper as a gimmick club.  They certainly work in the right situations but I just find them unnecessary for anyone that regularly golfs and practices their short game often. Using a 7-9 iron with the proper setup (closer to the ball, shaft more vertical, hands choked down like a putter grip, ball played more off of the toe) with a putting stroke you can accomplish the same result without adding another club.  I see them as more for the occasional golfer that only gets out a handful of times a season. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:58 AM, jomatty said:

Personally if I got the chipping tips or for another reason were considering a chipper I would definitely chip with my hybrid first.  That is a similarly easy technique, that you can use just like

your putting stroke, without eating up a slot in the bag

That is one technique I have never gotten used to (using hybrid, fairway wood etc to chip with).  I had the Cleveland Altitude irons and Cobra Trail irons which you'd think both would be great at chipping the ball, with but felt with all of them, I would get some that just rocketed off the face and roll right through the green.  Much much better chipping with wedges for me.  But then again chipping I feel is a strong part of my game.  Probably average a hole out about every 3-4 rounds.   

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Ordered the Cleveland. Getting tired of the double chips or the ones that barely get to the green . I use to laugh at the guys who carried them , under my breath of course. Now I am my father. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0