2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

Since getting the G25's my Hot Metal's have been sidelined. I installed some Recoil 95 pulls and really enjoy the clubs. Even though my local course has hard pan lies galore I don't find the classic high G-series bounce a handicap at all. In fact, my best shots today were off rock hard lies.

The Ness has Ping irons back in his bag???!!!! Good for you Ness!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I'm thinking of dipping my toes in these waters. I've played almost strictly players irons - currently alternating between iblades and MP18 blades. Just not scoring at the moment, and a big reason for that is my iron play. It's always been a strength of my game, but recently I seem to be hitting a lot of crooked shots with my irons and, frankly, I could use a bit of extra distance. Looking at g400s and i210s.

Any of the "G Men" make a similar switch?

Most of them (us?).

The problem in the G series is not performance. They flat out perform, shot after shot. The issue is that many of the designs are hideous, if you prefer the look of a player’s cavity back. That seems to be the number one reason that people stray. The performance benefits are what brings them (us?) back. Like I said in a previous post, I love the look/setup and feel of well struck shots with my W/S v4 but I may be back to a G, next season.

It’s so true. I watched Rick shiels’ review of the G400s online this morning. I watch a lot of his reviews, and the guy’s typical sequence of shots is 4-5 pull draws left of target and a “Toey” miss (not knocking his swing or his reviews, just making the point that he generally hits the ball left of target with his draw). With the G400s, he hit the first several shots dead down the line with much less curvature and a very high level of accuracy. My thought after watching his review was “why in the world are these not in his bag?” My next thought was “why in the world am I not playing these irons?”

It’s a dramatic difference in looks. I’m just curious if I could get past it.

Personally, I like the looks of the G and G25 more than the others in the G lineup. The 400’s look fine, but it almost highlights the Cor-eye more than the G, and on the G is definitely looks more industrial and that is what I like.

The big question in pondering the G move is whether to wait on the 410. If it is, as speculated, slightly more compact and half the offset of the 400 yet still more forgiving, that sounds intriguiing. If they did cover up the tech on the back, will be interested to see how that looks.

It sounds like they are positioning the specs on the 410 as a club halfway between the i200 and G400, moving it closer to the i200/i210 with this release, if the early descriptions are accurate.

But I could easily play the G25 and not miss a thing. In terms of the head itself, that one is my favorite. The center of gravity on that iron matches up real well with me.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Ping G410 to be somewhere between the I210 and G400? That sounds good. For me, it's always a battle between the i and the g line of irons with Ping. I have always gone back and forth.

We’ll see. One poster said the G410 iron’s offset is reduced by 50 percent from the G400, but if that is so it will have less offset than the i210. Maybe that is so but it seems unlikely to see that much of a change.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I frequently get the itch for g series irons. Then I look up the threads on low handicappers using g irons and I get convinced that that is the correct way to go. I currently am playing the g's and they are no doubt long and forgiving. I prefer to play a straight ball or a fade. I am not a right to left player unless I have hit around something or by accident. That being said, I hit a hook left of left with a 7 iron last time out. Horrible swing of course but I couldn't do that with any of my other irons in the past. I wasn't trying to hit a draw or hook it. Just out of nowhere, shazam! Makes me a little gun shy. As a guy who doesn't play a draw, I hate seeing the ball go left and this one went way left.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of dipping my toes in these waters. I've played almost strictly players irons - currently alternating between iblades and MP18 blades. Just not scoring at the moment, and a big reason for that is my iron play. It's always been a strength of my game, but recently I seem to be hitting a lot of crooked shots with my irons and, frankly, I could use a bit of extra distance. Looking at g400s and i210s.

Any of the "G Men" make a similar switch?

Sorry to say but I doubt you would be happy. The G's have a lot of offset and are large compared to the clubs you are used too. The sole is wide too. Demo before purchase for sure.

I actually don't mind the offset or the look at address. My only real concern would be turf interaction with the wider sole and feel off the face. I loved the feel of the G25s when I tried them In the past, but the thinner faced irons concern me. The wide sole will either be "boom or bust" for me. I use the glide 2.0 stealth Wide sole and love it. Maybe some fat bottoms are what I need!

I'm going to demo next weekend. My course has a ping cart, so I should be able to take some out for a head to head.

I'm in the middle of the same type of switch. I've been playing S58s with AWT stiff shafts for 6-7 years now. My iron play isn't as strong as it was, and I've developed some tennis/golfer's elbow. So I went for a fitting and hit the G700, G400 and a few others with the Alta CB stiff shafts. Compared to the S58s (which are supposed to be quite forgiving for a player's iron) it felt light-years more forgiving. A few toe hits got pretty decent results. The bigger look doesn't bother me at all. In fact, as I was demoing, going back to the S58s my first reaction was "#*&% these heads are small" despite the fact that I've been playing them for many years now ;-)

I don't think you will necessarily be disaappointed; it depends upon what you're ready to embrace. For me, I wanted something more body-friendly (shaft) and more forgiveness, and I'm delighted with my choice of the G400s - although they don't arrive until next week. But there's no doubt in my mind I'll love them.

Good luck.

Ness, welcome back to the Ping G fold. I virtually always have a Ping G set around--in my case, currently the G30's. Unlike many who love the G25's, they never worked well for my swing.

Anyway, every time I think the G line is sure to become my top set for a season, they take a back seat to other sets. But my G 30's will get a run during this off-season and start of next season to see how they do against my JPX 900 Hot Metals (last season's top set), a recently purchased set of JPX 900 Forged, and a couple of other sets like the Steelhead XR Pros which I like a lot.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Forgive me father for I have sinned, it's been a couple of years since my last G-iron foray but that's been rectified: bought a set of G25's. :) Like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in a while. Can't wait to get them out on the course. Gonna check loft and lie to make sure no monkey business has gone on but they look right so not worried. Paid less than $200 shipped for a 5-UW set. Happy as a clam!

This is too funny. I'm in the same boat. Used to play G irons a few years ago, switch to Mizzy Hot Metals, now going back to G irons. I've done this before, and always go back to the G's. Guess I should stop switching. Wait, this is Golfwrx, thats what I do...

An added benefit is I live 20 minutes from where Ping does the outdoor fittings with trackman. They fit me for a G400 max driver, g400 fairway, now the irons, next is hybrids.

Proud G30 man here. IMO, they are incredibly consistent. They have better yardage gapping than the the G25’s for me. And I much prefer the feel of them over the newer versions. I’m a single digit handicap, and get no sideways looks by my league-foes. They make the game more enjoyable.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Results, results, results.....

If my playing partner was to beat me with a Play-Skool set I'd be jealous of his game, not his clubs, but I certainly wouldn't be thinking any less about his bag.

SCOREBOARD!!!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I've been rocking the OG Ping Rapture irons for a long time and it will be a long time before they ever get replaced - I can't imagine anything working better. My driver is a G30 SFT which also isn't going to be replaced anytime soon.

The wife and I split up the Rapture iron set - she has the "odds" and I have the "evens" (we are on a minimalist golf journey). She loves them. I also just recently got her a Ping G400 Max driver for her birthday which she absolutely hammers.

So I guess that makes us both "G" Men/Women.

• 2 weeks later...

OP here, great to see this thread still going after so many years. Just goes to show the longevity of the G series. :tongue:

Well it finally happened... I sold my PING G20s. Yes, after 8 great seasons I found some irons that took the place of my original fat bottom girls. :read:

The clubs that have replaced them have even bigger bottoms than the G20s. :swoon:

That's right, the BIGGEST bottoms PING has ever produced.

Meet the "Kardashians" of PING irons....

THE KARSTENS!!! :pimp:

While some people want skinny anorexic looking irons, I want mine with allot of junk in the trunk. More forgiving than Mother Teresa, able to tower large maples in a single swing, these bad girls can do it all. I have fallen for these irons hard, as they took what I loved about the G series and put them on steroids. Karstens where have you been all my golfing life.

Are those G400?

Those are the Ping Karstens. I think they came out in 2015 for one year.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Just bought a set of rapture v1 irons

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just bought a set of rapture v1 irons

Close enough! Welcome to the club!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 4 weeks later...

My dad bought me my first set of PINGs (G20). He and I have shared golf since I was 6 and I was always envious of his clubs - swiping them here and there until he'd yell at me to give them back. I played them up until this year when I found the I210s fit my game better.

I know that makes me an I-Guy, but I'm still a G-Man at heart...

PING G400 Max 10.5 Tour 65 s
PING G400 SFT 16 3 Wood Tour 75 s
PING G400 19 3 Hybrid Tour 85 s
PING I210 4-P KBS Tour C-Taper Lite s
PING Glide 2.0 50(ss) 54(es) 60(es) AWT Wedge
PING Vault 2.0 B60

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It looks like I will be in the G man camp this year. Has adventures with different sets of IE1's last year and was going to settle on a set of G's for the upcoming year. After some Ebay contortions ended up winning a set of G400's this am(had a set last year but didn't like them, I think due to the Alta CB shaft, didn't like the CFS70 in irons either). I am going to put my set of Xcaliber in them, I have played Xcalibers for the last 7-8yr.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a G man too!

Driver G15 (switch back and forth with a G20)

Hybrid G15 20* and new to the bag this year...

4-U G20 white dot with CFS reg shafts.

SW 56* Vokey which is likely to be switched out soon

Black Nickel Redwood Zing

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I’m a G man. Great set of irons. I’ve tried different irons and always go back to ping. 4-U black dot awt 2.0. G 400 driver G 4 wood and ping wedges and putter. I have a set of i20s and they are nice set of clubs but the G series just flat out works. Say what they want about looks. I’ve heard it all , but nothing will our preform a Ping G iron

• 2 months later...

I would love to join you guys again. My ie1's are getting old and tgw has a sale on all Ping clubs. I would love to get a set of g400 or 410. Only problem is they say 6 to 8 week time frame on custom orders. I'm not sure I want to wait almost 2 months for new clubs. Might wait till things get back to normal and I can get them with a quicker turn around time.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

G400 irons down to $72ea and can still be custom ordered. Very enticing

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg