Pinehurst question

iagolfnewb

My brother in-law is playing in the high school nationals event at Pinehurst June 29-July 1st. My wife and I are thinking about making the trip from the midwest to watch him play and ideally get a couple rounds in myself while we are there. I looked into the cost of staying at the resort and quickly concluded that it was way out of our budget. My understanding is that the only way to guarantee a round on any of the Pinehurst courses is to be a guest at the resort, otherwise I will just have to call 5 days in advance and hope something is available.

My question is: if we stay at an AirBnB or a hotel in Pinehurst (not the resort) and I just call 5 days in advance what are the odds that I can get at least a round or 2 in during our 5 day stay? I am not super picky about which courses or what time of day, I don’t expect to play #2 but I also know my brother in-laws tournament will be going on #s 5, 6, and 8 during those 3 days further limiting the availability and the other competitors will likely have family members in town trying to get on the courses same as myself so it kind of seems like a lost cause, but I should still be able to play Tobacco road and maybe some other nearby courses. Thoughts? Recommendations?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly. There are just as nice of courses here for a fraction of the cost. #2 and #4 are way over priced if you ask me, and you can get the same experience playing elsewhere. I know that doesn't answer your question. Early July it is hot as hades here. You should be able to get a tee time. It might be mid-day in the heat, but you are not guaranteed one. I would rather play mid pines, pine needles, tobacco road, or dormie (it will be private by the time you get there, but make some friends, and you may find someone to host you)

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

Thank you for the replies! I think I will plan on making tee times for 2 rounds well in advance for Tobacco road and either Mid Pines or Pine Needles, then see if I get lucky and get a 3rd round at Pinehurst when I call 5 days in advance. I have heard great things about #4 and I think that would be my first choice along with #2 followed by #8, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I have looked into Dormie before as well; I just have no connections in the area at all, but hey maybe I will get lucky and meet someone as you suggested.

Another option would be to book your visit through an agency like Talamore or Tobacco Road travel. I was told that Dormie would still book outside play from some of those agencies, but walk-up play wouldn't be possible. Those same agencies can book you on Tobacco Road, MidPines, Pine Needles, a number of the Pinehurst courses (but not #2), and pretty much any other course in the area. You may pay more for lodging that way, but you'll get discounted greens fees as compared to the walk-up rate.

I'm always careful to let people know, I own a condo at Talamore, if you book through them, you might stay in my place. But these are pretty nice 2-BR 2-BR condos with a full kitchen, and a stay includes full buffet breakfast served in season, Thursday evening pig pickin. so they're reasonable value for money. All of the people who handle bookings have been there for a long time, they know the area, and will do their best to help you.

That's what I was told in the pro shop at Dormie when we played over Thanksgiving week. That's the extent of my knowledge right now, I have nothing in writing. I'd be surprised if Pinehurst guests didn't have a similar possibility to play Dormie.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're choosing between Mid Pines and Pine Needles I recommend Mid Pines. Both are solid but Mid Pines was by far more fun. Tobacco Road is a must. Did a Memorial Day Weekend camping trip there last year and camped on the driving range with about 30-40 crazies. There's not another course like it.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

It was put on by Lie + Loft, a golf "lifestyle" company out of NC. Last year was their second annual, hoping they do it again. Word to the wise, it was hot as b***s, and we all slept in tents. Might have to RV it next year. But an absolute blast.http://lieandloftblog.com/2019/08/28/hotr2/

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

• 3 weeks later...

Still a little off-topic, but posting because you guys were talking about Tobacco Road and the Home on the Range event..
It looks like the pre-sale is up through the L&L website. The pictures from last year looked unreal. I had blocked out this Memorial Day weekend to attend until I received an invite from Tobacco Road to The Dyad tournament in early March. Not sure the wife will be cool with me rolling down to the Pinehurst area three times in as many months, so postponing attending until next year....
Home on the Range III - Pre-Sale secret link@RobYakes @mci711 @Cottonseed.

Unfortunately I'll be on my honeymoon this May but have a blast! Only recommendation is don't shower with the hose in the cart barn area. We found out on the last day that it was non-potable water haha.