Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

Comments

• MMB1500MMB1500 Members  6613WRX Points: 558Handicap: GolfPosts: 6,613 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • LobbyLobby Members  41WRX Points: 49Posts: 41 Bunkers

Before I add an avatar pic, I have another couple

• putter length should be limited to 36 inches
    • putter must be held in similar fashion as the distance clubs you play

where's the popcorn smilie?

Posted:
  • BirdieRollBirdieRoll Members  415WRX Points: 85Handicap: 8.5Posts: 415 Greens

Balls that end up in a divot in the fairway should be given a free drop. Ground under repair.

Posted:
  • HawerchuckHawerchuck Members  5WRX Points: 33Posts: 5 Bunkers

I like to root for Patrick Reed.

Posted:
  • oiler45oiler45 Members  366WRX Points: 200Posts: 366 Greens

The perfect time for a 4-some (carts or walking) is 4 hours*. People that have to play in 3 hours are just as much a PITA as those that take 5 hours.

*assumes that if there is space in front you will let faster groups through

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dan360dan360 loisible Members  5546WRX Points: 509Posts: 5,546 Titanium Tees

• people who fiddle with their crap and don't get moving deserve to be hit into,
    • people who "do over" when people are waiting behind them deserve to be hit into,
    • people who are slow and don't let you play through deserve to be hit into AND have their bags dumped out,
    • people who stop at the turn to buy food and complain you got in front of them deserve to be hit,
    • people who are slower in a cart than walkers should lose their ignition key privileges and be forced to push it while being sprayed in the face with a hose,
    • Augusta National uses turf dye to make the grass all the same color,
    • USGA sucks,
    • and golf courses that don't put any soap in the ball washers should be closed, tilled under, and turned into racetracks.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
    PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
    Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
    PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21
  • cutchemist42cutchemist42 Members  127WRX Points: 38Handicap: 19.9Posts: 127 Fairways

Is it unpopular thinking scrambles are overrated as a format for bro outings?

I accept more easily champagne scrambles where best drive is used and own ball is used from that point except for par 3s.

Posted:
  • fillwelixfillwelix Boston AreaMembers  1514WRX Points: 370Posts: 1,514 Platinum Tees

I've heard that called a "Shamble", agreed it's a good format which speeds up play for the most part when you have many groups.

Posted:
    WITB
    Taylormade SIM 9.5* Ventus Black 6X
    Taylormade SIM 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X
    Taylormade SIM 19* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X
    Taylormade P760 4-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X Tour
  • SUPERGSUPERG Members  465WRX Points: 267Posts: 465 Greens

Love the shamble, much quicker

Posted:

Taylormade M5 10.5* - Diamana DF 70 TX

Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* - Tensei Pro White 80 TX

Callaway X Forged UT 21* - KBS $ Taper 130X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 - DG S400

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2092WRX Points: 795Posts: 2,092 Platinum Tees

My unpopular opinion is that people who come up with this have a case of participation trophies.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • butterysnaphookbutterysnaphook Members  64WRX Points: 116Handicap: 1.4Posts: 64 Bunkers

Anne Van Dam has the best golf swing on any tour.

Posted:
  • RealNickGRealNickG Members  31WRX Points: 21Handicap: +2Posts: 31 Bunkers

Play faster, get fit, quit drinking on the course., repair your ballmarks, replace your divots.

Posted:
  • PhlashPhacePhlashPhace Members  188WRX Points: 71Posts: 188 Fairways

First of all your #2 is just plain stupid. By your logic Jack Nicklaus was bad for the game.

That leads to number two which is you need to distinguish between is it unpopular on here or in the real world. My opinion of the worst golf invention of the past 50 years is the wireless speaker that clips to your golf bag. That is a pretty unpopular opinion at the local muni but my guess is it would be a popular one on here.

Posted:
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  349WRX Points: 198Posts: 349 Greens
    1. If you want to play dress up for golf, fine. If you insist everyone else play dress up, too, you're mentally ill.
    2. If you have anything but a normal putting grip, you're going to 'The Island' when I'm King.
    3. From what I've read about them, club fittings seem unnecessarily anal retentive.
    4. There's no cure for slow play. Give up on trying to change them. It's not easy, but giving up on this crusade made me happier.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • 3GoodPutts3GoodPutts Members  72WRX Points: 45Posts: 72 Bunkers

Don't pair singles with twosomes/threesome's without asking first if they are OK with it

Posted:
  • mark174acemark174ace Members  160WRX Points: 72Handicap: 5Posts: 160 Fairways

Why should a twosome or threesome have any say over who plays with them? If they do not want to play with strangers find a fourth or just pay for the spot.

Posted:
  • butterysnaphookbutterysnaphook Members  64WRX Points: 116Handicap: 1.4Posts: 64 Bunkers

George Gankas is a genius but not for his swing theories. He sets players up with a powerful swing that produces a great ballflight while he is standing there instructing them and reminding them about the cues and positions on every swing...but when he’s not there it is wildly inconsistent and hard to repeat because there’s just so much stuff going on. Therefore he gets people to keep coming back for lessons or buying his online lessons because they have seen that the swing can produce great results, but they can’t do it consistently without one of the coaches keeping an eye on them. Genius.

Posted:
  • RyanBarathWRXRyanBarathWRX Media Staffer  104WRX Points: 143Handicap: 5Posts: 104 Fairways

Roll the ball back - or at least for the pros

Posted:
  • 3GoodPutts3GoodPutts Members  72WRX Points: 45Posts: 72 Bunkers

Never understood this unwritten rule that golf courses own the tee times and they can pair you with whomever they want. Restaurants own the tables, so with this logic unless you and your wife pay for a table of 4, they should seat strangers together to maximize their seating.

How about this idea. If you are a single, play with friends or pay for the foursome slot and play by yourself. This works both ways.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • fillwelixfillwelix Boston AreaMembers  1514WRX Points: 370Posts: 1,514 Platinum Tees

But restaurants have different size tables for different size groups, it's not like you're using up resources. If I'm at a table with an extra chair and another table needs a chair, they can take it. Completely different from grouped tee times which shouldn't exceed 4 and have to be on a timetable

Posted:
    WITB
    Taylormade Spider X Tour
  • Miss_TeeMiss_Tee Members  107WRX Points: 160Posts: 107 Fairways

Saw this on Instagram. Some would be popular opinions, some unpopular. 😆

Posted:
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  404WRX Points: 219Handicap: 19Posts: 404 Greens

That's fine but you better let the single play through then.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• Lancj1Lancj1 Members  936WRX Points: 98Handicap: 18Posts: 936 Golden Tee

The average golfer can buy off the rack clubs with R flex and notice absolutely no difference to "fitted"clubs

Posted:
  • klebs01klebs01 Members  492WRX Points: 137Handicap: 3.2Posts: 492 Greens

The average golfer doesn't make solid or consistent enough contact to have any impact from a 7% (difference in average driving distance today vs pre-ProV1) ball rollback. Nor have they experience any loss in performance from the groove change. In fact, they weren't impacted at all because their wedges are still legal. Finally, its all irrelevant because the average golfer doesn't play by the rules or care to.

Posted:

Advertisement

My favorite part of this is he tells the single to pay for 4 spots if they want to play alone, but can't fathom paying for the 4th spot with a threesome lol

Posted:
    WITB
    Taylormade Spider X Tour
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4897WRX Points: 622Posts: 4,897 Titanium Tees

I have played probably more golf as a single than I have with even my regular groups, and I absolutely think that when you book your tee time, you are booking 1 slot per person. If you are by yourself and want to play by yourself, by all means, pay for the rest of the tee time. If you are a 3some and dont want a single, pay for the 4th slot. If you're not willing to do either, suck it up and play with who they put you with.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.