512 yard eagle stirred up some anger

Mikey5e

?default=https%3A%2F%2Fus.v-cdn.net%2F6024507%2Fuploads%2Fdefaultavatar%2FFGOZT91RSXGA.jpg&rating=g&size=200RP40  10Posted: Dec 27 2019 5:21PMWRX Points: 11

Never understood these excuse threads, or coming back a year and a half later to follow-up unless it's to see if you can get others to side with you.

Lol, that's not why I posted. I really don't look for someone to agree with me, just a response. I understand why folks get peeved when someone hits into them, even if it was a trickle by the time it reached them. That's about the only time I remember doing that.

Since I never posted a proper response when I read this in 2017, here's my take.

Golf sometimes puts us in awkward situations, it is prudent to err on the side of conservative (just wait to hit the approach). Don't hit into or near the group in front of you. Occasionally errant or miraculous shots happen. Yell fore, apologize and be done with it. Don't hit 2 miraculously good shots into the same group. The 2nd one nullifies the miraculous. A second apology is disingenuous and suspect at this point. But absolutely necessary.

It's silly to layup just to keep moving. The group on the tee can wait. If they prove to be impatient, let 'em play through. Life's too short.

Strategy on a par 5 should always be to get it as close as possible on 2nd shot, barring hazards. Proximity is king in golf.

And nice eagle Mikey5e, two years late.

if It rolled up I’d say great shot. And probably make a comment like you better drain that putt. If it flew the green I maybe a little annoyed because you knew you could carry that distance. This happened to me once on a par 5. I knew I couldn’t hit the green. So I proceeded to hit and landed short of the green. They got pissed that I shot too close to the green.

I am a fast player, but always wait til they are walking off the green when I can land it within 30 yards of the green. Hearing a ball land while you are trying to make a putt is distracting. My game is no more important than theirs.

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

Having a ball roll onto the green from 75 yards off to me would not be a big deal. If I was the one on the green, I would not have been upset. I would’ve told you nice shot. No harm no foul. Nobody’s perfect. This world just needs a little bit more understanding and kindness. Your intention was not to hurt anybody or inconvenience anybody and you didn’t.

$$$$

I had someone do this to me once. It was a group of six or so who wouldn't let us play through. My ball hit the cart path and onto the green and rolled up exactly where they were standing, not putting.

I rolled up, grabbed my ball off the tee and marked it. Walked up to them on the next box and handed their tee back with a "heres your tee back. Sorry for the shot" and walked off. Even though they were being douches and not letting us play through, no need to be a deeyock.

Nice 3 and nice story.

I have been hit by a ball, directly in the chest from two holes that runs parallel. Driver to the chest with no FORE. Left a bruise the size of a grapefruit. I was on the ground for a while.

Your story is a bit different as you 'likely' wouldn't hurt anyone from that far away, but it's not an excuse. Wait a little longer until the green is cleared. Even if you think you're laying up.

I personally am not a good golfer, and if I happen to hit an errant shot into a spot where if I hit another errant shot it could hit someone on another hole, I just wait until everyone is clear. No harm in waiting a little while.

If I were on the green, hit into for the second time, I would have taken it as you being annoyed that I am taking too long, not that you could have hurt me. And that in itself would have pissed me off more that getting hit into where an injury is possible.

Any mention at any point of the eagle kind of makes you a jerk.... noticed you never mention the fact that you might’ve disrupted the other guys eagle putt.

When you make a mistake, you simply apologize and do your best not to do the same thing again. I get that this is a golf forum and we all like to talk about things GOLF related, but If i were you, I would be extremely embarrassed to have mentioned that you were able to somehow “bring your focus together and still make the 10 foot putt for eagle. “ You’re kind of douchey. Not unforgivable. Just maybe something to think about in the future. Also, do as I say not as I do because I’ve been douchy too. :)

Same.

you rolled up on them that’s pretty rude tbh. Then you drove it on them. It’s not egregious but it’s not good form.

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Print out a link to this thread on a business card. Hand it to the guys on the green. Lol

but seriously I would wait. Your goal is to sink the shot in the hole. You physically can't do this if people are in the way, it's not your green. It's theirs.

so your goal is to not hit them, that's a very avoidance based goal. And you are not getting near the hole, as you don't want to hit them. So not smart to take that shot because at that point you are playing for birdie and not eagle.

and if you are trying to make it, with guys on the green putting, then you need help.

just a note this is an example where the speeding up play argument is out of hand. People say go ahead and get close, but I'm trying to hole the shot. How can I get better if I take the shot to short of the green or away from the people to save time. I'm trying to hole it, I need them off the green. So I'm waiting. But I'm ready when they are outside of my miss area.

Not exactly, I rolled up on them twice, never ever drove into them or even came close to hitting into them on the fly. Both times it was a gentle roll up. The first one rolled up shy of the fringe, and then the second one rolled up gently to pin high . I don't blame them for being upset after the second time, I probably would have been a bit peeved too. But in all reality, no harm no foul just apologies work.

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds like the excuse someone who isn’t laying up uses when they almost hit someone. So you tell me you hit your 5 iron “usually” 185 and suddenly because of a smooth swing you knock it 200 yards. Ya right. You know what laying up means right not hitting it as close to the green as possible. That’s not a lay up. When you layup, you are talking about having a wedge in to the green not hope to roll it up to the green and possibly reach them. Things on this thread would of been way different if you knocked that person in the head. I’m only upset because I’ve been hit by a ball from someone who thought they we just laying up. If you have even a chance to sniff the hole, wait!! No harm in waiting a little bit longer to have the green clear. And when you say you don’t have the ability to hit it far and you have 200 yards left on a 512 yard hole even I know to hold off hitting my second shot into the green. Thank goodness you didn’t nail somebody in the head. I got hit on my upper buttocks close to my lower spine and believe me when I say I was lucky. Thank goodness you were also.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I did something very similar on one of the eagles I scored. I think it was about 5-6 years ago. I murdered a drive off the tee on a par 5. I had about 240 in, and the group ahead of us was putting on the green. I pulled out 3-iron, thinking I usually only hit it about 200. Also, the group behind us was coming up to the tee, so I figured I'd hit and lay up so we could move up out of their way.

Don't I catch this thing pure. It rocketed off the club face. Even still, I thought to myself there's no way it gets there.

Apparently it landed about 10-20 yards short of the green, and rolled up to about 4 feet from the pin. As I drove up I immediately threw out as many apologies as I could, and explained that I didn't think I'd get there. They chuckled and said "nice shot, no worries because it rolled on and no one was in danger".

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

When I decide to try and get home in two, I use the red light, green light aproach. Meaning it is a deliberate swing for the situation , last thing I want floating into my head, are other golfers on the green.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I was thinking of this thread a couple weeks ago. Third hole we didn't see the group ahead of us so my partner teed off. The guys in front were down in a gully in the fairway where we couldn't see them and he hit the ball right over their heads. I went over to apologize to them while there were on the 4th tee but they were oblivious to what happened. On the par 5 12th hole, I was 250 to the green and 220 to the little pond to the right of the green. Didn't think I could reach with 3w so figured I'd lay up with a 5 wood. and that I couldn't reach the pond with it. Landed well short of the green and rolled to the front fringe. Now, I'm thinking I need to apologize for the second time. But they didn't seem concerned so I didn't say anything.

• 5 months later...

I was putting out in my group on a short par 4 when a ball rolled up and onto the green. Dude rolled up and profusely apologized. I just told him great shot.....don't leave that putt short. A ball rolling towards your feet will not hurt you. I get it that there is a level of etiquette that you need to observe, but shots of a lifetime happen on the course.

On the other hand, my same group was on the green when a ball came through head high like a scud missile. Homeboy drove up and profusely apologized but this was different. If that had hit one of us in the head then that person would be on the ground. He said that his buddy lasered 200 but it was only 160. I accepted the apology but my partner yelled at them.