What is your biggest difference in 9 hole score during a 18 hole round? Tale of two nines

NM44

46-37. Struggled on the front, but made the turn and parred the first 3 holes. Finished with an 83.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

30-42. I'll never forget it. Seven Hills Golf Course in Hemet, California many years ago (1995?). Was just coming into my own as a decent am (probably +1ish at the time). Six birdies on the front. Grabbed a bite at the turn with thoughts of "59 IS attainable on this course..."

And then ... CRASH!!! BURN!!! LOL

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 2 weeks later...

9 hole course. Two consecutive loops of 9 played. First loop I shot a 49, second loop 38. Maybe not making a 15 on that par5 had something to do with it, but I’m not sure ?

Three OB’s from the teebox, then nestled into a bush (unplayable), into another bush (unplayable again), fluff, chip, two puts.

Some old clubs in one of the many bags. Just slapping some balls around trying to have fun.

I just went 47/40 this Sunday. Had a quintuple bogey on a par 4

I’m sure I’ve had bigger discrepancies......but it’s been a long time.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

36-50 in college. Birdied 9 to get to even and in the hunt. Parred 10, then went double-triple-double-double and everything else was a blur.

Driver: PXG Black Ops 8 degree w/Ventus Black 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Scratch wedge 53 degree, Cleveland RTX Zip Core 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Odyssey Cruiser Jailbird
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX

40 on the front, 47 on the back. Not a huge difference, but it was the first time I broke 90. Almost choked it away on the back.

Also the first time I played with a co-worker who was giving me 5 strokes a side.

"You're four over par and I'm giving you strokes?" Really funny.

I've shot different orders of 38-51 more times than I can count lol. When I started with the 51 it was a joy to rally to break 90, when I started with the 38 I wanted to trade my clubs in for a bowling ball.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Have gone 40-30 a few times. Also went 42-32 once, made a 12 on the first hole (a par 5), and then went 5 under for the rest of the round. Most disappointing one though was a 30-35. The front side was a par 37, and on the back side I was 4 under through 6 and finished bogey, bogey double :/

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

• 1 month later...

I will always remember how I played at Torrey Pines as a tale of two nines. Was on vacation in San Diego in 2008 about a month after the US Open. Tried to play South, but no chance, was just crazy busy. North course had only one nine open due to renovations, so played it twice. Had never played rough like that before in my life, and was just dreadful trying to advance anything out of it. Shot something in the high 50's the first time around. The second time through, I decided to only chip out with my sand wedge out of the rough any time I missed the fairway, no matter what. My score the second time around was a 49. I didn't "play" any better the second time, still putting poorly and missed a lot of fairways. But I actually improved my score by about 7-8 strokes by actually intentionally chipping out of the rough every time. Felt like I was adding a penalty stroke each missed fairway, but was still substantially better than trying to advance it out of the rough haha. So not necessarily my biggest disparity between two nines, but was pretty crazy.

I once shot 46 on the front and 36 on the back nine at my club many years ago. It still happens sometimes. My last round was 48 on our back nine and 40 on the front. We started on #10. At 70 it takes awhile for my body to get warm. Our range is closed and we have to jump out cold. Usually it only takes a few holes, but last week I could not get out of my own way until we made the turn. It's a crazy game. Still it feels good to finish strong if you start out poorly. 46 and 36 is much better than 36 and 46 even though they both equal 82.

Yeah, agree with Brew4eagle: There are usually strict rules about golf at parks, etc. Too dangerous, even if it's plastic balls. Golf CLUBS are dangerous in the wrong hands. Imagine if it were a "thing" to take your clubs out to the park where there are a bunch of people. Many would start doing it and next thing you know you have kids losing eyes because their cousin hit them with their backswing or follow-through.

A couple of weeks ago shot 43 (+8) on the front ( a quad and triple for 2 holes) and 36 (level par) on the back (2 birdies and 2 bogies). 2 Damn foul ball blow up holes...79 that should have been at least a 74.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

I've never broke par in an 18 hole round and I will now show you the blueprint on how to do that. 33-43 was my first time under par for 9 holes I have since followed suit over the past few years with 32-44 and 33-39. I played in the Myrtle Beach world am in 2019 and had a 21 shot swing from round 1 to round 2, nothing like firing an opening round 73 then imploding with a 94!

Two year ago I played course called Cedar Ridge in Gettysburg, PA. Not a great course but have never played it well either though. Always hated the course but my partner and I couldn't pass up the Golfnow $10 deal for 18 with cart.

Had a great round going through front 9 and shot either a 40 or 41.

Hole #10 short dogleg right par 4. Perfect iron shot off the tee to middle of fairway to layup for approach. Approach shot wasn't more than 8i over a small pond to a slightly elevated green. Took my stance, made the swing catching it a touch fat from a slight downhill lie and the ball lands just inside the far edge of the pond.

No biggy, I'll just do it again from the same spot to feel better rather than moving up to the edge of the pond and making it a short wedge shot. Drop ball, take stance, swing, ploop....same exact result.

Pissed now, I'm determined to make this shot. Drop ball same spot, take stance, swing, ploop....same exact result. Now I'm super pissed and boiling mad. Drop ball in same spot, take stance, swing, caught it even fatter and ball now lands in the middle of the pond.

I'm cussin at this point. I look over at my buddy and can tell he's trying like hell to keep a straight face but I can see the smile peeking out.

I said ok I'll move up a little to the edge of the pond and play a SW shot in to the green. Drop the ball, take stance on slight uphill lie, swing, it a shank right into the pond. Drop a ball, swing shank into the pond. Making matters even worse, the next 2 attempts were shanks right into the pond. After that jammed my club into back into the bag and said F$#& this hole.

I look over at my buddy cause he's doubled over laughing his butt off. I started laughing too cause it was great to see him laugh so hard. I told him to give me a DNF on the scorecard.

He plays his ball and we proceed to #11, a short Par 3 on elevated tee box over a small pond...100 shot to flag. My buddy takes his shot and land his ball on the green. I drop a ball on the tee box, take my stànce, swing, another dang shank into a different pond. Determined to get a ball in play, I drop another ball onto the tee box, take stance, swing, beautiful shot straight toward the flag but a little fat....ploop. I jammed the club into the bag and said give me another DNF.

Hole #12...long bending left PAR 5 thick woods on right. I get on the tee box and said to my buddy, good thing driver miss is a pull left. I tee the ball up, take stance, swing and it's a dead slice into the woods. Tee another ball cause that one is gone, h theit a beautiful drive 240 drive down the middle. Next shot was a 4i down an enormously wide fairway. I take stance, swing, it's a really bad double cross pull left into pine tree lined fairway. After rattling around in trees I took a 10 on the hole.

Hole #13 and #14, I par both. Hole 15 is par 4 forced layout then over a pond. My tee shot is perfect position on a slight downhill lie and I have 150ish over pond to green...easy shot. I take stance, swing, catch it fat....ploop into the pond. Immediately I think not this crap again. I dropped another ball, swing and this time nearly perfect and I'm 2ft from the hole....gimmi 1 putt.

Hole 16, water hazard left, big tree at right edge of fairway near landing zone off tee. I tee up, swing, smash a career drive but bleeding right. Bang hits the dang tree on the fly, ball flings back and left into water hazard. I took my medicine this time and ended up double bogey.

Hole #17 par 3 I ended up parring.

Hole #18 par 4. I smash another great drive and I'm on the left side of the fairway nearly the cart path. I had about 134 to the pin, which a smooth 8i for me. 8i is my favorite club too. My buddy tells me to finish strong. I said ok watch my swing, it's gonna be flawless guaranteed. I take my stànce, remind myself to smooth and flawless. I make an absolutely perfect and flawless swing thru through the ball and turf and I'm in the finished position holding my pose. My buddy comments and says that was a perfect form swing for me. I agree and say did see where the ball went. He says no I was watching your swing and form. I pointed to the ball that was 20 yards in front it of us. I made the perfect swing but got nearly all dirt behind the ball....Lol.

That was the first time I truly felt what the perfect swing felt like and I had already broke the 90's. I don't know or care what I shot on the back that day because that one fat shot led to me discovering what a great swing feels like for me. I finished with a bogey. Since then, what I've discovered is when I execute that swing, it's dead on the money every time when I put the ball in the right location in my stance. It's just so darn hard to commit to achieving that feeling every swing.

The point I would like to make from this Golf God Humbling experience is, despite shooting a large number on the back, those mistakes represent weaknesses and opportunities for improvement. Replay those situations in your head and try to learn where you went wrong and focus on making the weak points into strengths. The big numbers will slowly go away. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself too so your partners can join in and get eye watering laughs too. They become cherished memories after the fact.

Yesterdays round. Awful... Was 16 over teeing off on hole 8. Finished 20 over. 51/39. Last year on a course shot 47/37, the closest to shooting par on a side I have ever been. Played in my city metro a few years ago, was 9 over after 2 holes, then went the next 11 holes at 1 over. Then doubled 14,15,16,17, and tripled 18. My partner started talking about how big of a sandbagger I was... All in all, I'm pretty sure this game hates me. It'll give me a run of good holes to come back and beat me down with a vengeance.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread...and pertinent. I have had my fair share of 41-51's or 49-41's but the other day takes the cake for me. First ever Men's league round. I've just joined a local private club because I'm getting into the game more and more and my wife wants to learn. I've always enjoyed golf, and have played "competitively" with some local guys a few times, but only match play and only a few times amongst a couple regulars. Never done men's club or anything of the sort, no tourney's or anything,

Just recently put my game back together after a 3 year layoff, I've been rounding into form and am VERY close to make a drastic improvement. All things considered, over the last 6 months I've been pretty consistently in the low 90's to mid 80's. Did break 80 once this year and my GHIN is 16.7 (which I would say is pretty close to accurate)....anyway, back to the story,...first ever men's club competition. Entered into gross/net/flighted skins...

Paired with two long-time vets, very nice guys...I have just recently found something in my pre-setup routine, that I can dependably rely on for strong contact,, but am fighting a serious bout of the pulls...determined to fix ball position on this round to get it right...played this course ~8 times (now my home course but only since end of april)...tee up on one, surprisingly, zero nerves...par, bogey, par (after missing 5 ft birdie putt), bogey, par, par, bogey, double, par...+5...(previous 8 rounds I am generally 10-12 over at this point, as this course has a ton of OB and of course, I'm fighting the pulls)....first round of competitive golf ever, and I'm playing lights out...puring 5-6-7 irons like crazy, hole-ing 10 ft'rs...playing "good"....mental state is good, thinking "stay in the moment, enjoy the moment"...

step up to 10, a hole I have NEVER played even CLOSE to good, can't get a tee ball in play, really tough green...and I pure a hybrid off the tee, dead center, gap wedge in hand, and I am thinking, "this is my day, it's smooth sailing from here"...realistically maybe 3 more "trouble shots" on the entire course, as I normally go 12 over on the front and 6-8 over on back....#10, gap wedge in hand, put a perfect swing on it, catch it great, feels good and I am thinking while it's in air, "oh that is money" and PLOP, right into the greenside bunker...shocked..."there is NO WAY that ball could have ended up there...oh well, I like bunkers, worst case I bogey and that is no problem whatsoever"....get up to ball, WORST bunker lie I have ever had to play myself, "that's ok, I'll get it out and two putt, no worries"....get it out, ball lands over the green. terrible dry lie, gotta go over a cart path and a hump, to a green that runs severely away from me, hole is 10 paces on right at the center of the downhill section...limb directly above, takes away a flop shot, "no problem" I think, duff #1..."ok that was a tough shot", duff shot #2, "ok what was that?"...putt off the fringe, come up 7 ft short, sink a solid 7 fter to SAVE TRIPLE..."ok, one bad hole, I can weather that"...

hit an ok shot on an uphill 170 yard par 3, missed the green right, but hole high, another severely sloping green....chip it to 6 ft, "ok, got a chance to save par"...give it a good run uphill, and miss by less than a ball, and end up 18 inches....and miss, ugly double....

#13, setup for a cut to prevent OB left on downhill par 4, dead left OB..."ok, make sure we cut it"...dead right into a tree about 50 yards in front of tee box...smash a hybrid about 230....solid chip, miss the 6 fter, miss the 6 incher...QUAD....

recover on the next hole no proble,..."ok I got it back, we can still post a number, I'm playing to an 18 hdcp and I'm still in ok shape"....

dead pull ob on 14, skull provisional right.......about 200 to green, perfect line, great lie, "I can still salvage this"....shank into right hazard - 3 ft grass - ...find the ball, "woo hoo!" try to put a club on it...advance it 6 ft under a tree....try to salvage it, into the bunker...truly, the 2nd worst bunker lie I have ever had (only to the one earlier today)....my playing partners who are shocked at this point as they've said 5 or 6 times, "man, you played SO good on the front...." are commenting on the terrible lies....barely get out, but sink a 18 fter from the fringe to salvage the QUAD...

3 putt from 25 ft on tough par 3 over water....but stroke is feeling better again and thinking "I can finish strong"...bogey long difficult par 4....

this brings us to 17,...tough but fair par 5 uphill into wind with a little creek at a very awkward yardage....decent drive, in the rough, 165 to decent layup before water, am down a solid 1/2 club all day due to a new ball in play, reasonable, but not good lie....7 iron, didn't catch it great, but apparently good enough, lands on a downhill "bump" and shoots into hazard....find ball right on edge of hazard in tall grass, can certainly get a club on it, should be no problem putting it 100 yards up the course, swing out of my shoes, and throw it right into the hazard..."Sh*T"....take a drop to a perfect lie, grab the 4i, gonna put one on the green, and duff, right into the hazard...then I hit the best 7 iron of my life and put it over green...I hit that 7 iron 190 yards +....card a 10 on the par 5....#18, duff drive, mean hybrid under tree, great flighted 8i under limb, miss the first putt by 12 ft, drain the 12 ftr coming back for bogey....(triple, double, quad, bogey, quad, bogey, bogey, "other" (5), bogey)- 41-58...I have never had a bi-polar round like that since I started taking the game seriously a number of years ago....the funny thing is, even the guys I was playing with were like "it's not like you played bad"...it was a culmination of a couple poor management decisions, a couple bad swings, and a couple bad breaks...like literally that was it, everything else was essentially the same, and a 17 shot difference from front to back....needless to say, my first competitive golf went from, "this could be AMAZING"...to "seriously, what the heck happened?"....

I'm thankful the guys I was with were cool, and I did my best to refrain from the "I'm not normally this bad"....lol...but Its just funny because I've never had that happen before and in my first competitive round, it does, and it wasn't even like I imploded....my mental state stayed really positive and strong, and my swing didn't even totally abandon me, I had a number of "momentum shifting" shots, that put me back on track, and played some of the toughest holes well, but every time I'd start to change my fortune, I'd miss a 1 ft putt or make a dumb decision, or just rush my swing (seriously only had about 4 bad swings)....anyway...humbling, fun experience, and had to write about it so that I could exercise my demons...anyway, if this has happened to you...it's just golf and it's amazing!