Guitar/guitar players thread

@TTB, I believe Fender also produced a "Strat-like" Starcaster that would compare more with today's Squier Affinity Series guitars. I could be mistaken but those guitars can still be found on the used racks at guitar shops for less than $200.

a1a8430846a512bfd7d06549ef96c7a3.jpg

You're obviously right. That 'real' starcaster never gained much popularity, which is why I thought someone had one in their basement and just wanted to get rid of it.

Just ran into a friend I haven't seen in a while. Long story short I started talking about my daughter and how she wants to learn guitar after watching Kubo and the 2 Strings (great movie). He said he has a brand new Fender Starcaster that's still wrapped up. I texted him about it and he's gonna let it go to me for about $100 since he has no use for it. I'm assuming that's a good deal?

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_501903_group_shot.jpg this?

I think that's it

Here is most of my current setup.

Mostly play 90's alternative rock (STP, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins etc.) with some classic rock thrown in. I prefer songs that have some edge to them but most anything that I can play and sing at the same time is good in my book. I should play more but golf takes up a lot of my free time.

@HFB, I am vocally challenged so kudos to you for being able to hold a note while playing an instrument! Nice setup...

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Just ran into a friend I haven't seen in a while. Long story short I started talking about my daughter and how she wants to learn guitar after watching Kubo and the 2 Strings (great movie). He said he has a brand new Fender Starcaster that's still wrapped up. I texted him about it and he's gonna let it go to me for about $100 since he has no use for it. I'm assuming that's a good deal?

I think that's it

good ol Hal Leonard , been gazin' upon that publisher five decades

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Or wait I thought this:

0243102506_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

I thought you might. The old Gator Tail had one (bass) in the eighties (heavy bastxxx) traded for a Gretsch 300

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Or wait I thought this:

I thought you might. The old Gator Tail had one (bass) in the eighties (heavy bastxxx) traded for a Gretsch 300

Doesn't the dude from Radiohead play one of those? Weird looking axe, but still for a hundred or so I would def take it.

Or wait I thought this:

Doesn't the dude from Radiohead play one of those? Weird looking axe, but still for a hundred or so I would def take it.

@TTB, Great catch

4473f6c4510a8524f516a2d535170e36.jpg

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Guitar player here.

I have an American Standard Fender Strat with RW fingerboard and 3 tone sunburst finish, an EBMM JP6 and a Taylor Acoustic Electric.

I play my electrics through an Axe Fx II with the MFC-101 Pedal Board and a 1x12 Xitone Active FRFR system. Record via USB into an old Macbook Pro using Garageband.

Played in a band in College many moons ago, and now just play and record for my own enjoyment. Mostly Blues and Jazz but get into some heavier Progressive Metal on occasion.

Guitar player here.

I have an American Standard Fender Strat with RW fingerboard and 3 tone sunburst finish, an EBMM JP6 and a Taylor Acoustic Electric.

I play my electrics through an Axe Fx II with the MFC-101 Pedal Board and a 1x12 Xitone Active FRFR system. Record via USB into an old Macbook Pro using Garageband.

Played in a band in College many moons ago, and now just play and record for my own enjoyment. Mostly Blues and Jazz but get into some heavier Progressive Metal on occasion.

Sorry, but to me this post read like "Got a QX ZZR 442 FFR 1 3 2 BSQ 10 FQZ and play it through a ADT 1.0.03.5 10 transit throughput 10,5 WQRT with an offset multi output 10 quantum inlet transistor FTTR amplitude SPY".

I did understand the Fender Strat with RW fretboard though...

I got an american standard Tele and a Boss effects board and a Peavy 30w tube amp.

Sorry, just having a little fun...

Sorry, but to me this post read like "Got a QX ZZR 442 FFR 1 3 2 BSQ 10 FQZ and play it through a ADT 1.0.03.5 10 transit throughput 10,5 WQRT with an offset multi output 10 quantum inlet transistor FTTR amplitude SPY".

I got an american standard Tele and a Boss effects board and a Peavy 30w tube amp.

LOOOOOL!!!

EBMM JP6 = Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci Signature Edition Guitar

The Axe Fx II is an all digital amp/cab simulator with many, many effects in the box. It can make any guitar sound you've ever heard on any album ever. I've owned a lot of different amps and effects and sold every thing I owned other than my guitars and bought the setup. I've had it for 4 years now and is an inspiration. Every time I pick up my guitar it inspires me to create something new. The MFC-101 is the pedal board to control it and the FRFR is a flat response "cabinet" with an included power amp.

LOOOOOL!!!

EBMM JP6 = Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci Signature Edition Guitar

The Axe Fx II is an all digital amp/cab simulator with many, many effects in the box. It can make any guitar sound you've ever heard on any album ever. I've owned a lot of different amps and effects and sold every thing I owned other than my guitars and bought the setup. I've had it for 4 years now and is an inspiration. Every time I pick up my guitar it inspires me to create something new. The MFC-101 is the pedal board to control it and the FRFR is a flat response "cabinet" with an included power amp.

Aha. Now I understand. Hey, are you located towards the shore? The remains of my old band are all located out near cherry hill, and I would like to jam with anyone closer to me. PM if you are curious...

Guitar player here.

Active FRFR system = a Full Range Full Response speaker cabinet (think of a monitor you would use on stage to hear the full band) and the Active part means the power amp is built into the cabinet rather than requiring an external power amp (a cabinet that would require a separate power amp would be a passive rather than active cabinet).

When using systems such as the Axe FX, Kemper Profiler or any of the others that include cabinet simulations many players prefer a full range speaker rather than a guitar cabinet as the guitar cabinet colors the sound. IMO it doesn't make much sense to have an FX system that models cabinets if you are going to run it through a guitar cabinet. Kind of defeats most of the purpose of the FX unit but some still prefer the guitar cabinet setup and just turn off the cabinet simulation in the FX unit.

• 2 months later...

Hey tom are those American Standard teles? IMO that is a must have in any guitar collection. I have a classic black with a blond ash neck. Really great bright sound.

I kind of like the maroon body..

Redline is limited run and the maroon is supposedly a limited edition American standard. I'm not one for buyin off the internet. I wanna hold and caress them, feel their body against mine and listen to them sing. So this weekend I'm headin down to San Jose for a date.

Hey tom are those American Standard teles? IMO that is a must have in any guitar collection. I have a classic black with a blond ash neck. Really great bright sound.

I kind of like the maroon body..

Redline is limited run and the maroon is supposedly a limited edition American standard. I'm not one for buyin off the internet. I wanna hold and caress them, feel their body against mine and listen to them sing. So this weekend I'm headin down to San Jose for a date.

Hope you fall in love!

• 2 years later...

M2UTPD7XUK4M.png

9P0Z5O4EA8O5.png

CEKL8CLJTPDU.png

DK7Y4ZW1DQXD.pngHere are some of the guitars my son and I play.

On the bottom is the guitar I learned on, a Yamaha G50A I got around 1970. Just replaced the original tuners and made a new bone nut for it. The Epiphone is a Les Paul Standard 59. Nice, original sounding PAF's.

The Fender Jaguar is the my son's Kurt Cobain model. The dreadnought is a Seagull S6 Slim. Originally came without a pick guard, but my son tore up the finish around the sound hole with his picking, so I made a pair of "western" style pick guards out of thin material.

I'm pretty well done with electrics in my old age and occasionally pick up the Seagull. In the past I've owned a Fender Twin Reverb Silverface, Egnater Rebel 20 (poor man's Mesa Boogie) and a heavily used Carvin tube head that needed new caps. If I play electric these days, I use my son's Orange. Should have kept the Silverface.

Got away from heavier rock music long ago, except for some early Beatles, Dylan, play mostly '60's folk and country.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I really don’t play well (or often), but I bought this Ultra Series Ovation in 1983. And she’s as beautiful now as the day I brought her home... always loved the look and sound of Ovations

C1BVNN2Z16EK.jpeg

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Beautiful...Tele’s always resonate with me (see what I did there?), much more than their bigger brother Strat’s.

Now bring on the acoustics!

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I've had a lot of fun playing Rocksmith. if you have a PC you have access to something like 40,000 free charts, and another 2,000 or so official ($) charts. The ability to isolate phrases of songs and practice them over and over at a slower pace is the best way to learn.

You'll need an electric guitar.

The Starcaster in 2puttom's picture is has a Nashville-type bridge, but the 1975 Starcaster in IIamont's posting has a different bridge.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G