2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lost interest In the love of this game.

Golfcrusher91

I'm a complete range rat. This is me, I practice everyday and play nine holes at least four to five nights a week. I never have gotten board. I have been doing this for thiry years. I'm 56 now and plan on playing until 62. Then I'm quitting and gonna travel and do other things with the wife. She has put up with this habit for over twenty years she has known me. It is time to give her her due.

• Like 2

If the OP hadn't said it's been two years, I'd say it's more "seasonal depression." But if it's been two years...spend your time doing something you enjoy!

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

I went through this about 5 years ago. I think for me I was too focused on my score. I was trying to go low as much as possible and getting really mad at myself for any bad round or shot. Decided to play for about half a year where all my rounds (except league rounds) I didn't keep score. I just went and played. Sometimes more than one ball, just hitting shots, getting creative. I'd put on some tunes, take a cigar with me, and have a couple cocktails while out enjoying just being on a golf course and it really made me realize what I loved about the game. Went back to keeping score, but I play a lot of rounds with friends where score has zero impact on what we are doing. Some of the most fun I have out there is just being out there. Hope you find what you are looking for, it's a great game.

• Like 1

Tale of my 2 uncles:

1. Uncle Larry - successful veterinarian. Took up golf after med school, got to scratch, won his club championship a couple times, hurt his back, quit golf at around age 45 and bought a boat. His personality couldn't accept his game deteriorating. He'd rather not play at all than not be good. Funny enough, he's 76 now and has recently gotten back the golf bug, but only hits balls, doesn't play.

2. Uncle Dick - successful in business, played college golf at FSU, won multiple club championships, county/city Ams, etc. He's 79 now, a 14 HC, and loves it as much as he ever did. He's not afraid to move up to Senior tees or play it back and take his lumps. Two Miller Lites and a gin & tonic after every round with the guys.

Which one are you? I'm 52 and asking myself that question...lol!?

• Like 2

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Actually, you can get hit by a car in your garage....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I love this game. Thats why I joined this forum.

Most everybody on here loves golf.

I dont know anybody in person that loves the game like I do. I have friends who play but are not obsessed like me.

Its great being on here and seeing people even more obsessed then me.

I did get really discouraged recently with not being able to improve and declared to my girlfriend I quit the game only to be back working on my swing in the garage the next day.

Take a break from golf if your not feeling it. Just dont sell your clubs.

Feel that man. I had an injury - couldn't play for nearly a year. Came back and played terrible for the last year. I think I played 6 times last year (and I used to play once a week). But my resolution this year was to get my game back and I'm excited to play again. Working on technique and finding enjoyment in practice again. The addicting part of golf is IMPROVING. You gotta feel like you're getting better to get excited about it.

I'm at a crossroads myself right now. In just the past 2 months, my game has deteriorated from a 7 hdcp to that of a beginner. My last 5 rounds have been in the high 80's, with a multitude of frustrating stupid shots. Several chunk the sod over, bladed wedge or 8 irons from the middle of the fairway, mega push slices and horrendous spurts with the putter. What really is super frustrating is going to the range and hitting it just fine and not being able to take it to the course. In over 60+ years of playing, I've never encountered this problem. There have been slumps of course, but have been able to overcome them. What I'm surmising is that age (76) is finally rendering it's control and my physical abilities are declining, at for some strange reason, at an alarming rate. The enjoyment factor is totally nonexistent, so now the question becomes, when do you know it's time to sit back and just watch?

When I get into a slump, it usually revolves around score and expectations. Funnily enough, the last time I took a break, it was because I was playing too well and felt like my scores could only start getting worse. To reset, I try to go out and forget the score card, only focusing on the shot in front of me and not consumed by the results. But like others have mentioned, if you aren't enjoying playing golf there are plenty of other ways to spend your time and money.

• Like 1

I think many of us have gone through this phase. It’s not a slump so much as a rest. Golf tends to be an all consuming game. Takes a lot of effort to play well.

When getting back into it, I just enjoyed the experience, not expecting to score well at all. Try to hit well, but that’s about it.

Why don't you try competing?

I'm one of those guys that get no enjoyment out of any game without a reason to keep trying to improve. Just playing random rounds for the enjoyment of it doesn't cut it for me. I like or need having goals or reasons to spend a lot of time and money trying to get better at something.

I just don't really enjoy playing without putting it to a challenge. I just get bored otherwise.

Try having an injury that prevents you from playing. Go to work every day for 6 months, and on the weekends, feel the 4 hour void.

That's when you'll rediscover it.

I'm coming back from neck disc bulges. In the grand scheme, not too bad. But had to give it a big break.

Have come back in the last month, working my way up the bag, 56, 52, 47, 43. Needed 3 days on the 43 to get it back to decent, and bc of neck I won't go 2 days in a row yet.

I relish it now more than I ever did. I'm enjoying reinventing my swing (I wasn't exactly scratch before the injury... no great loss to the the sport). And I'm gonna enjoy beating the hell out of my playing partners once I get back.

• Like 1

I felt this a bit last year. I used to be a 1 HC. Then had kids. Fast forward 8 years or so and I'm a 10.5 that doesn't practice and only plays in my 9 hole league once a week. I had unrealistic expectations as to what my rounds should be like. I mean, I used to pull off these shots, so why can't I do it now? Also, the shanks crept in. I shot a few rounds in the 90s. There was little to no fun being had and I got pretty disheartened. Pretty much didn't want to play the game I had such a passion for.

Going into this year, I'm REALLY going to try and temper my expectations and just enjoy being in the beautiful setting that is the course.

I'll be another who echos what so many have said- Do what makes you happy. If this is one of the things that brings more frustration than satisfaction...

• Like 3

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Been there done that. I think that I even posted something very similar to what you did. I continued to play but came to the realization that I'm no pro and I'm not getting paid to do this. I'd like to get into competitive golf, but I think that deep down inside, i'm gonna get creamed and realize that I truly do stink. Yes I know there is a difference between tournament golf and casual golf.

OP, just go out and whack the ball around, drink some beers, play with people you can have some laughs with and dont take it seriously. Last summer I was mid-high 70's with some 80's thrown in and I was kinda ok with that. This past weekend I went out and put up a smooth 93 with 5- 3 jacks, a 4 jack, and a bunch of doubles. While I was super pissed, I realized that I had to go to the my day job the next day and 4.5 hrs and a 93 was WAY better than being at work. Crazy thing is, those 41 putts drove me nuts and pissed me off, but I was in the basement yesterday tinkering with the putter.

Dont play for a while and I'm sure the bug will come back to get you. Plus the weather doesnt help matters...Good luck

Well said, spiritual golf. I am planning on trying to do a combination of the 2. I don't play competitively but I do want to keep track of my score more often just so I have a benchmark on what I can improve on. I just don't want it to be all about my score.

In regards to the OP, I had this issue a couple weeks ago, winter doldroms hit hard and I was getting some malaise. I got out of the funk because I had been thinking about swapping out my 4 iron with a 4 hybrid, went to my go to store and found an adams speedline 4 hybrid, now I want to get a gapping session in and get back on the course

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I felt this same way late in the fall season. Focused a ton on my score and was SO technical with my swing, grip, etc...Luckily the winter pulled me off the course and I was able to decompress from golf a little. I also picked up The Lost Art of Playing Golf by Gary Nicol and Karl Morris after hearing about it on the Trap Draw pod (NLU). This book really helped remind me why I play and why I enjoy the game. While I always want to play my best, I really focus on the opportunity to play with friends/family/strangers and just enjoy the time away from work/stress/home projects/etc...

This outlook has me really excited for 2020! I just feel bad for my wife. Joining a new club and a stronger addiction might mean even more time out of the house.

Imo, it's all about finding your place in the game.

Find some joy in the simple things or stop.

For me, just being out there, alone or with friends is enough. I know that without taking some lessons I've pretty much maxed myself out where I am and I'm ok with that. The chase for scratch has ended because I refuse to take lessons or even practice much.

Being a low 80's golfer means that I can get around on any course and not embarrass myself too badly.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Book yourself a 9 hole tee time as a single a week ahead of when you want to go so you know it's planned for you. Make sure it's early morning. Walking. No cart. Get up early, by yourself, make yourself a nice cup of coffee and breakfast. Head to the course and hit a few warm-up and putts. Then grab your bag and head out for your round. Don't worry about numbers or distances. Just enjoy the sounds, smells, undulation of the course, fresh air and exercise. It will do more good for you then just getting back into the game.

P.S. If your bag is too heavy to carry, just grab the 5 or 6 clubs you're most comfortable with. The walking is the most important part. It really helps to appreciate the game and the course more.

My guess is that your game has plateaued and golf feels like you're going to have your typical boring round or you're going to play poorly. I had that experience when I was playing college golf and the game became more of a chore. I also became disillusioned with the game and quit. However, I really only wanted to quit the game for 1-2 years...instead due to some other circumstances I ended up quitting for 9 years. And by year 3 I really missed the game. Even when I would go to work and smell the freshly mowed grass, it would remind me of the game.

I also believe that most golfers get bored with the game a bit and that's why they change equipment and instructors and new swings so often. People think that golfers making changes to their equipment or swing are doing it solely for foolish reasons or it's an exercise in futility, but I believe most of those people do it because they are trying to keep the game fresh.

So my feeling is you need to find something new in golf that can pique your interest. Perhaps you want to buy a new driver. Perhaps you want to build your own set of irons. Maybe you want to take a golf vacation to some prestigious courses. Maybe you could make a swing change, get into golf DFS, etc.

RH

I remember the tale about Howard Hughes, when he took up the game and eventually got to a scratch level. His goal was to play professionally and when he asked a prominent golf pro of the day, "am I good enough to play professionally" he was told no he was not. He never played again after that we are told.

Personally, I can't fathom that level of, can't even find the word(s) to describe it, but in a way can understand it. If you can't succeed to what you think your efforts should produce, then it's an exercise in futility. At this current point in my game, just within the last 2 months my game and hdcp has deteriorated to levels I encountered when I first took the game up. What's really frustrating, is the harder I try, the worse it gets and when you know what's wrong and your body will just not respond, to what your brain is telling it to do. But unlike Mr Hughes, there's something inside of me that, at this time, just won't let me just walk away. So instead, I'm taking a sabbatical of sorts, since all the local courses will be aerating greens, so I'll have at least a month or more to perhaps just hit range balls and work on, or at least attempt to fix the problem(s). The problem with golf is that unlike other sports, where you definitely know it's time to stop playing, golf allows you to play for as long as you want. But even golf has it's point of no return, but some of us just don't/can't realize just when we're there.