Masters practice rounds

You see whoever is there that day.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

Tuesday is my favorite day at the Masters. Probably 80% of players will play at least 9, you don't have the distraction of the Par 3 contest (Wednesday), and things are just more relaxed at a practice round. The other thing that is nice (versus a thursday / friday round) is that people will still be playing front in the late afternoon so it spreads the crowds out a bit more.

IIRC, they will have a tentative tee sheet when you go in. It's not always perfect, but good enough

You're in for a great day.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

I have tickets to Tuesdays practice round as well and it will also be my first time ... for those of you who have been multiple times what would you consider to be the best way to plan my day?

Hit the merchandise tent first or go straight to the course? I'm looking for any and all suggestions.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

I went last year on Monday. It’s awesome. Get there early. We hung at the range for a while, then once the course was actually open, we walked the front, then hit the merchandise shop, then the range again for a bit (better to see in daylight). Following that we walked the back, then hung at 16 for a while. They cleared the course around 3 due to incoming weather, and we did our best to take our time leaving. If I go again, I would hit the merchandise shop first, as the line mid-day was pretty long to get in. Just enjoy it, such a great place.

Don't waste time buying stuff, get out there! Get in line for your photo in front of the clubhouse, check the tee sheets and enjoy how you want to plan the day from there. Don't care how long the lines may or may not be later in the day, they move right along. Do it later in the day, grab some food and go relax with your bag and some pimento cheese and ice tea while sitting on the range as the daylight fades . . . .

Will be there Tuesday this year as well, and actually everyone I've talked to has said to hit the merch first thing. Beat the mid day lines, get it done, shipped home - and then you can go out. After a full day of walking the course and eating/drinking your way through their menu - the last thing you will want to do is deal with the crowds at the merch building on the way out.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Thanks for the info guys....I got a room in Augusta for Monday and Tuesday night but due to a work issue I now have to fly back late Tuesday night....how long should I expect the drive to take from Augusta to Atlanta if I leave at 6pm?

Worst part is I basically have to eat the cost of the room for Tuesday night.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

Post #10 by @dcmidnight is spot on. And as @kerila07 said in post #15, get there early enough and you are able to get in and out of the merchandise area before the course is open to spectators. Yes, it will be crowded but you will still have plenty of time to shop before they let spectators out on the course. Have been 7 times on Wednesday and this has been the case every time. Only one time did we also hit the main merchandise at the end of the day and it was even more crowded so we never tried that again.

As you walk in the main gate, the main leaderboard will have groupings listed and whether they teed off on the front or back. There will also be another board with the same information around the main putting green and 10 tee box. I have never seen tee sheets for the practice rounds but I've also never looked for them.

There are tee times** posted on boards spread around the course for practice rounds. You have to kind of look for them but they are there.

** they are not actual tee times. They say the names of the people in the group, the time they went off and whether they went off one or ten.

Also, there is a small practice green between the first and tenth tee that the guys normally stop at before they actually tee off. You see someone you like around there just stop as they will be going off either tee somewhat soon and someone around there can prob tell you which.

Got our Tuesday tickets in the mail today, gates open at 8a, woo hoo.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Yes, that is when the gates open that allow you onto the course itself. However, the gate from the parking lot to actually get onto the grounds will open somewhere around 7:15, give or take. This allows you access to the range and the merchandise area. The wife and I always had tickets to Wednesday and Thursday and we would always pull into the parking lot between 6:15 and 6:30 on Wednesday and between 5:45 and 6:00 on Thursday. That got us pretty close to the front of the line on Wednesday. On Thursday, there would be well over a hundred people in line when we got there.

I went in 16 for Monday and Tuesday practice rounds and did the main entrance merch tent first and then the course on Monday. Tuesday we went into the back entrance (near 16) and set up chairs behind the 16th green first, then walked around.

I actually preferred the second method, personally. There is a merch tent near that entrance that isn’t quite as big as the main entrance one, but has all of the same stuff (and less lines in my experience).

Other than that, the best piece of advice I can give you is to never walk up 10, always down. You’re in for an unforgettable experience.

I always enjoy the buy early - buy later perspectives and won't repeat myself, I'll just say there is no wrong answer. Do remember though you will want your pic taken as soon as you can IMO and that line can look long early but it moves fast. It was a lot shorter Wednesday am than Tuesday pm when we were there. Two years ago there was on course activity Tuesday early afternoon to mid afternoon, but substantially more options from first opening to noon so check the sheets.

I went to a practice round a few years ago. If like me, you are into the course itself as much as the players, walk the course backward when you first get there in the morning. You will have the back 9 all to yourself and it's a very cool feeling. After that make sure to spend some time on 16th hole. During the practice rounds the players will skip a few shots off the pond that fronts the green to see who can get the most bounces on the water and closest to the pin. The bleachers near #16 tee let you see #15 green and #16 tee. Get as close to the 16th tee markers as you can. Another fun place to watch is from the 12th tee where you can see the 11th green and 12th tee. I saw a number of "patrons" bring folding chairs, and leave them at a good spot near #12 tee early in the morning and coming back to them later. It doesn't matter when you go the the merchandise tent. I've done it both early and at the end of the day. Have a great day there.

Tip - the invisible plane extending from the rope down to the ground when watching the antics on 16 is not to be violated with a small camera bag at your feet, lol. Had a kind gendarme very quietly and politely come out of nowhere to whisper would I please slide the bag back a little. I happily obliged and only after seeing I did he left with a very nice "thank you sir".

Everybody there is super nice. Especially the kids and others dispensing the pimento cheese and volunteers in general.

If you want to get anywhere close to the range especially if you want a seat you need to be waiting in line for the grounds to open as early as possible.

We went in at about 7 am and straight to the shopping. Which although it was crowded worked like the most well oiled machine you can imagine. Even the shipping line was extremely efficient which I totally recommend.

that being said, after about 30-45 mins in the merch complex (and over $1k for each of the fours in my group, it adds up fast!) there was not a single seat to be found at the range. We could hardly get close to the range. This was the morning that Tiger, Phil (in his long sleeved button down glory), Freddie and Thomas Peters all went out so that added to the chaos at the range!

The range is fun, but personally I wouldn't bother doing it if you're only there one day. Yes, it is a lovely facility and fun to watch the players strip it, but with only 1 day I'd spend all my time soaking up the course and surroundings instead. It could be one's first AND last time there, and I think it better to see as much of the course as possible for the memories. And you never know if you'll be rained out or have lightning warnings, and you'll be pretty disappointed if you spent a lot of time on the range and didn't all of the course.

Walk the entire course, and see each hole from as many different vantage points as possible. It will give you a much better appreciation for the shots the players face when you watch it on TV. I like to walk it backwards - that way the players are coming to you as you circumnavigate all 18, letting you see more players than if you were going with the flow.

If someone has Monday tickets, I'd get there as early and try to be early onto the course. That first day the course is just pristine, with every blade of grass perfect and all the pine straw seemingly hand placed. We were surprised how much more trafficked the course looked on Tuesday - it's magical to see Augusta when it's perfect before the crowds have disturbed things and pathways across the fairways start to get worn in.

LOL, so if I ever start a thread titled "I've got tickets for three days at the Masters what are some good tips?" you've got it covered! Very jealous!

The one and one-half days we were there in '16 weren't enough - determined to go back, I just need Augusta National to understand how sincere my pumpkin patch is!

Went practice round last year. Went for sunrise and got in as they let the first crowds in. Watched a few guys on the chipping area. Then went to the Merchandise store right away. Lines were not bad and moved very quick (when we left late afternoon the lines were absurd). Had almost everything in stock and you could ship it all home right when you left the store. Then spent the whole day on the course walking the front 9 then back 9. Spent time at Amen corner watching guys. Spent time on 16 watching everyone skip it across which was fun. Personally, on a practice round it’s more about experiencing the course than the players.

• Like 1