2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The New Ventus Black

mjbaker80

I think we all know that one shaft can't be the best for everyone's swing; it just isn't possible. The Ventus may match a wider range of golfers based on new technology, but it will never match everyone. I tested it on Flightscope vs. my Pro Orange, and I seemed to make center contact alittle bit better with the Ventus over the PO. I need to get it out on the course, to know for sure. I had a very successful driving season last year with the F9 with the PO, but I did tend to have trouble squaring the face, with the occasional high block. This may not be apples to apples, as I am pairing the Ventus with the new Cobra SZ head. I am going on a golf trip this weekend with some friends, and will report back. I am playing 3 rounds, so I hope to get back into the groove by the 3rd day after a long winter layoff. I will be playing the Cobra SZ with the Ventus 6S at tour length, 44.5 inches, with the heavier weights to get swing weight right (I think it is D2). This is the same specs I played this past season with my F9.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I decided to do the blind taste test with Ventus Black 6X because no one around had anything to demo. So far it’s been a great decision. Spin is down, ball speeds are up, carry distance is up and I’m finding more fairways. Sounds like a winning formula to me. I hit on Trackman last weekend and I wish I would have taken a picture of my club face after the 10 balls I hit with driver. I used some foot powder to see where on the face I was hitting it because there apparently isn’t enough light in this simulator for Trackman to see where you hit the ball on the face. It looks like all 10 shots were in the same spot, I couldn’t discern any difference between hit 1 and hit 10 in where I hit the ball. I use the foot powder a lot, and this has never happened before. The next time I go I’m going to try and remember to bring my EvenFlow Black and do a head to head.

Titleist TSR3 9˚ - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 16.5˚ - Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR2 21˚ - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist T200 4 Iron - Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

Titleist T100 5-9 Iron - TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 46˚/10˚F, 50˚/12˚F, 54˚/10˚S, 58˚/V Grind - TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100/S400

Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 5.5

Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord Midsize

Titleist ProV1x

Is the Ventus black up-charge for the Mizuno?

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

$210 upcharge according to 2nd swing golf website.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Wonder is it is offered in Europe too.. For example, Taylormade doesn't have the VeloCore version of the Ventus for offer as custom upcharge shaft for the SIM drivers here, that's a bummer.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

hard to describe. I wouldn't say stout no, but the black is extremely extremely stable. Not much of a load or kick at all. I have the 6x and my SS is between 110 - 113. Never swung the blue so I cant comment there, but im sure I could swing a S in the black

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Can please someone give me a Cliff’s notes comparison to the Atmos Black TS? I’m sure the information is here, I just don’t have the time to go back through. I did see Fujikura comment that they were the same profiles, just wondering if someone with real-world experience can comment.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I'll be a while since weather sucks but my VB comes in today. Had a ts black and wasn't in love with that shaft, I plan on doing a review

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

I have a general question about cutting down graphite shafts, but since I did this with a Ventus Black I figured I'd ask it here.

Ordered a SIM 8* with a the 7x shaft. It's supposed to play at 44", which would be -1.75 from stock. I use a bigger grip, but I checked the swing weight and it's where I want it. The shaft feels stiff for sure, but even at 44" my swing speed is 115-117mph. I was fit for this club, but it wasn't by what I would consider a great club tech by any means.

The first time I took it out on a trackman it was slicing like crazy. I couldn't shut the face at all. I was swinging a couple degrees outside in, so once I got my swing path to 0.0 things looked better but I was still leaving the face open. Adjusted down to 6 degrees, (I swing up on the ball) teed the ball as low as I thought I could get away with, and tried to get the face squared up. Still couldn't do that, but my acceptable misses were a manageable 5-8 yard fade with a height of around 90 feet. That's a workable ball flight, and had decent length on it, but anything I didn't put that kind of swing on was a low liner that went way right on me.

My shoulder hurts, so I was swinging scared and had considerable rust to work off. But my question is, did I make this shaft unusable by cutting that much length off? I've always played shorter drivers even though I'm taller (6'0") because of my arm length, it doesn't kill my swing speed, and dispersion is always better. However, my ball flight is usually dead straight or a slight draw. It's hard to tell if the new equipment is giving me fits or if I was just swinging like shit that day.

I'm coming from an Epic Flash SZ 9* that I played at 44.25" and 8*. That shaft was a Smoke Green at 70g? Never really clicked for me, but I made it work. I don't want to go back to that club after getting the SIM, because I like absolutely everything about it better.

Ask and ye shall receive. Read my post.https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1792849/member-reviews-fujikura-ventus-red-black-testing-see-what-members-are-saying/p2

Great review, exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thank you.

Do you have any experience with the Evenflow Black shaft? If so, how would you compare the “feel”? Not really looking for launch monitor details, I just prefer the slightly firmer feel of the EF black over the Atmos black and am hoping the Ventus could be that shaft. The EF black is much more consistent for me, but the Atmos is longer. Unfortunately, it also has a tendency to get away from me and really over exaggerate misses.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Never tried any of the Evenflow line. Supposed to be super smooth from what I've read.

I like the feel of my Ventus Black 6X much more than my EvenFlow Black 6.5 65g. Part of that is probably because for whatever reason, the Ventus comes in at D6 vs. the EvenFlow at D3. I REALLY like the feel of that much better. The club feels much more substantial and I’m hitting it longer and straighter than the EvenFlow.

Titleist TSR3 9˚ - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 16.5˚ - Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR2 21˚ - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist T200 4 Iron - Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

Titleist T100 5-9 Iron - TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 46˚/10˚F, 50˚/12˚F, 54˚/10˚S, 58˚/V Grind - TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100/S400

Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 5.5

Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord Midsize

Titleist ProV1x

I have been following this thread for a while. I have always been a Fuji shaft guy. My go to is a Pro tour spec 73 tipped an inch. I have had this shaft going on 4 years now. I want to try the Ventus, but cant decide 6x or 7x. I have always been in the 70g category of shafts but the 78g with the 7x seems a bit much. Any feed back from people that have experience with 6X and 7X in the Ventus? Also note, there are no options for fitting around me. Going at this with an educated guess.

This is swing flaw related, shaft/head can't be to blame if the speed is right. You may have just had a bad swing that day, work your release or check to see if your sucking the club inside (tends to happen if a shaft is really stiff and you want to subconsciously load it, try taking it straight back)

I can hook it. But I can hook anything. I play for a little draw with it and typically get it on course. On the range I usually end up over swinging and hitting a hook. Basically I hook it when I try to muscle the swing. If I just try and hit it 75% I create more speed and I hit a nice draw that starts out on the target line.

Well yeah, I mean everyone can hook every shaft if your path is bad or you're just trying to swing too hard. I was just saying that if you put a normal swing on this and the head is that far in front with the Ventus, you can move the club. These shafts feel fantastic and they are an exciting concept, but they are by no means soft in the tip.

They are not the same profiles, they have similar launch and spin performance. The Ventus Black will have a stiffer handle and tip section and is a much more stable shaft throughout the swing. VeloCore is the big differentiator between these.

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

@Fujikura Golf I was hoping for some advice on this shaft. I currently have a Ventus Red 7X tipped an inch. I really like the balance and feel of the shaft. But, I am finding it launches too high and seems to have a hard time keeping up. I am thinking of going with the Ventus Black to keep that Ventus feel. But, I am unsure if I should order it tipped an inch like the Red is. I know they are different profiles. But, are they different enough where one could move to an untipped version of the black and still get lower launch and spin while maintaining that tight feel?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Anyone compare a Ventus black to a Kiyoshi Black? I hit the Blue 6X in a SIM Max and loved it, though spin was a touch high and it wanted to go left a little too much. Feel was great though so I'm very interested in trying the black.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Very very different shafts, don't let the "Black" fool you. The Ventus is very linear and stout whereas the Kiyoshi is super stiff in the butt and loses way more stiffness down into the middle, so apples and oranges really. The Kiyoshi is way more similar to something like the Diamana BF whereas the Ventus Black would be in a similar category to something like the Tensei Pro Orange, just without the counterbalance.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant