2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Feedback please, if you have the time.

I'd like to get some feedback if possible. I play a fade normally, my iron shafts are super light weight and I'm wondering if that is making it harder to hold the wrist angle on the downswing. The camera is not perfectly down the line. There was a ton of left to right wind so I was going for the green on the right.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@laneholt I am self taught but doesn't feel like it with so much information online. I had a really good plan when I started this two years ago and systematically went through the fundamentals. It's only probably in the last 8 months or so that I made a lot of improvement. I wanted to ask about where the ball impacts my club face. Since I changed to the regular shaft recoil, I think the f3 is 68grams, I am hitting the ball a little in towards the hosel. That being said my clubs are setup a little weird, my short irons are 4 degrees flat but a club length longer than the normal shaft for that club( I am fairly sure that that still keeps the club flat but it offsets a little with it being longer and making it a little more upright, if I understand all that. I did that also to get more spin on the short irons and promote a fade. The mid irons are all normal and the long irons one club length longer than normal, promote a draw. I love how I hit it with this set up, except for I don't know how a weak shaft and a super flat club affect where the ball is being hit. I'll hit a solid iron shot and look at the face and am surprised how near the hosel is. Sorry this is so long. I also figured that if the clubs were super flat that would force me to stay down and hit the ball properly or else it slides right, doest curve really but slides, unless I stay down. This shot in the video is a bad example, due to the wind and the fade I was hitting. This is an example of draws with that same flat set up. I really appreciate the message you wrote, you don't know what that does for someone like me, a little boost is always appreciated :)
https://youtu.be/G8vV6DdS7Ls@Lobby I think they got a little higher on these. The camera angle is not ideal, my tripod broke.

@laneholt Thank you! That's why I am here. I will watch that now. I don't think the shafts are stiff enough nor heavy enough, but I hit them as good, though the hitting it close to the hosel I am not sure is ideal. I don't know how fast my club head speed is.
This was at the middle stage of my golf build. It is the 125g recoil with a old titleist blade 5 in a 3 iron shaft. That was the only shaft I could get that was that weight for the 25$ I paid for it, so I put it in the 5 iron head, and proceeded to ruin the shaft when I tried to take it out, turns out you can't heat them like the normal clubs :( I am waaaay better now than at this point so I'm starting to lean back in the direction of stiff and heavy. The spinning the clubs is horrible I know, I have tried to stop that habit.
https://youtu.be/JdTCSURytygThis is in the Alps in France. I hit them in the winter, and pick them up in the summer when the snow melts :) Ah I have the whole progression and my golf world on a youtube page. The Yellow picture is my art. And don't mind the clothes and the music, the clothes I make, the music is there just because I can't use other peoples music on youtube, so I use whatever random stuff I mess around and make. (white shirt is my cycling shirt, too cheap to buy the real sweat wicking away shirt so we just made a shirt and cut small holes in it, pay it no mind :D kanzas anthony

@LeoLeo99 Yes, I have been trying to get my hands closer on the way back with the driver, but I always revert to how I normally do it. I'll keep working hard on the driver swing. For the set I'll need a year before I can afford it with everything else I have going. But that time is coming for sure. I told myself when or if I ever shoot something in the 60's I'd say I deserved to get a real set, for now I've had two sets, one full set I got for 13$ off eBay, and the mp 62's I got super cheap off eBay, so when I score good I'll put money away to get a real set. Any recommendations on a good iron shaft? I tend to like graphite but it's mainly I like the way it looks and I believe in the technology. @laneholt I want to try these iron shafts, the nunchuck you showed me.

I have the 130g modus in the 52 degree and I don't think I love that shaft. So I don't have any reference as far as shafts other than the 125g f4 recoil, the f3 es recoil, and the Callaway m75i shafts I have in the 13$ no name blade set I have. I would prefer a boring low flight shaft.

@laneholt Yes, I'm careful with the advice, I know what it should look like, there are many examples, so I just try to get it as close to the best as I can and let physics do the rest. My swing is very similar to how it will always be, just a few fundamentals left to get down! I am going to start with one iron shaft from the Nunchuk and slowly acquire the set if I like them. I love Bruce Devlin's swing, so it was cool to see him play these shafts. I'm pretty much already convinced :) I got the recoils for those same attributes.

What’s your 7 iron speed? Carry? I would be hesitant to use iron shafts under 90 grams

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I love your backswing but I’d like to see more release or extension on full shots, unless all of these swings are knockdowns

EvnRoll ER9

@cardoustie I am not really sure about the 7 iron carry distance. I'll go play a compact course Monday and let you know for sure, but around 175 yards. I don't really know if I hit it high or not, I don't have any references to compare.

I agree completely with the release of my club, it's not something that comes naturally to me I think; it might be because I had a reconstructed shoulder that I never got it back to 100% and over the years I have very little mobility in both shoulders. I have been working hard on that this last year and I can raise both hands above my head finally, for the longest time I couldn't extend the right one at all. I also broke my collarbone with a almost compound fracture so when it healed one laid on top of the other and I ended up losing an 1 or more on my right arm. I always wondered if that did help me in some way, having the right arm shorter than the left.
I focused on that( extension on the release) for a few days in the summer but I got away from thinking about that, basically until now that you say it actually. That has always bothered me. I'm glad you mentioned that, I'm stupid, this was maybe the only day I focused on in the release and it was good now that I look back. There is so much to think about that I try to only do one or two things max each time I go. I film everything so it's easy to keep track of what I'm trying. These for example are with a rifle shaft. I could never hold my angles like I wanted so I switched to the light ones to see if that would help. I am going back to the heavier shafts.
https://youtu.be/g-16-SeT4ogThis is from the beginning. I spent the first year basically learning the swing in the vacant parking lot. The Almost Golf Ball is amazing if you haven't tried. Shameful swing too wow, I had forgotten.
https://youtu.be/dlhL8ylQ50c

I am not a fan of your thought process “holding the angles” .. I work on the opposite all the time TBH

The angle is a result of correct downswing sequencing and not something you try to manipulate IMO

Not sure how tall you are but look at Ben Hogan’s backswing (not that he’s a model for all) and then look at his extension target wards

EvnRoll ER9

You hit balls in some crazy places !!! Cool to see

EvnRoll ER9

@laneholt That's crazy, I love Bruce Devlin! When I was starting all this, I was looking for references to what I want my swing to look like at impact and Bruce was ultra high on my list. I'll send you a face on soon. I have the worst legs ever and I'll not advance unless I finally focus on that. I'm going to have to take a month or two and really get back to the fundamentals. This last summer I was working hard on the fundamentals, and I have gotten away from then as I have progressed. Cool! Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Hello again. Not sure if anyone will see this, having been so long ago, but here is an update. I always appreciate the feedback. I've been on lockdown again, this was the last time I hit balls--the 15th we are free again, so I will go hit balls then. I have had a revelation that I can't wait to try. I had tried it one day in July but I didn't have the full picture then, not that I do now, but I understand the swing a lot more now than I did a few months ago, so I am excited to try that thing again 🙂

Club update. I got a real set finally, the Vega Vm 02 I love them, like I've never loved anything. X shaft--I think, there is no name on them. Seller said they were extra stiff. I got them for 300$ which is crazy. This is a 52 degree in the first swing and an 8 iron the second swing. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t8zL0I_fT7Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry I can never get these videos to embed properly. 

Edited by Kanzas_Anthony

• 2 years later...