2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

Hmm.....I always keep my SSR in either the garage or the car. I may start storing it indoors, considering it's Winter here in NY (although a mild one).

I had done the normal SSG protocol last winter and gained some speed. I then started the 2-3x a week 'blue stick only' last week and am excited to see if I can reach some new highs. Hoping to get above 120 on Trackman to reach 180 ball speed. I've reached it on the PGA SS 3trak monitors a few times (185 once), but I don't know how accurate that is. I'm typically between 175-178 on those monitors.

In terms of swinging slower in the cold, yes that's for real. Your body isn't as loose as it is in the warmth. Think of molecules: the colder they get, the less they move and vice versa for hot (perfect example is boiling water). I've had as much as a 6mph max difference indoors vs. outdoors on the SSR.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Hi everyone. Just picked these up locally for a great price. Stoked as I’ve been wanting to try them. Currently swing driver around 108-109. Working on swing flaws so my BS isn’t where is should be. I hit around 162 BS but my path is too far from the inside so to hit a functional shot I have to leave the face a bit open meaning I’m giving up speed.
basically, I want to get my driver to 112 consistently so I can live around 170 BS.
Questions:
did this mess up your sequencing? That is something I really want to improve. Hoping this helps with flexibility as wellshould I use blue stick only? I’m seeing posts with both. Why or why not@GolfChannel seems to be the Jared from subway (without the kiddie fiddling) of these things. Can someone link his post with spreadsheet?best protocol to follow?

• Like 1

Playing single dad tonight, but I can post everything in the morning.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Not sure if this issue arose specifically from the SSG training for me, BUT I noticed myself getting quicker from time to time and then having a HUGE right miss...like 75+ yards right. This could've been from me trying to get too quick and coming slightly over the top with a bit of an open clubface. I also switched Drivers and went into a significantly stiffer shaft. Now that I am cognizant of it, the miss has not presented itself (at least so far this winter on the monitors), and now my feel of "oh wow, I missed that right" is actually only ~10-15 yards right.Yes. It's been shown by Par4Success (independent study with ~100 or so participants I believe??) that swinging the Blue Stick only showed improvement over the SSG protocol. Other tests have shown that swinging anything more than 10% lighter or heavier can lead to a decrease in swing speed. This hasn't been universally proven, but the consensus seems to point to swinging something close to your actual Driver weight for best results.I'll let Golfchannel post his stuff.Up to you, really. I've read the piece from Par4Success and it proclaims 5 standing swings both sides, 5 kneeling swings both sides & 5 happy gilmore swings both sides. I've personally switched the kneeling swings for step swings and added 5 more standing swings at the end for a total of 40 swings.

This stuff can definitely mess up your swing. You need to be smart about your pursuit of higher swing speed. The best way to improve distance is to hit the middle of the clubface every time.

The overspeed underweight protocol had been proven across many sports. I did it a couple years ago using differently weighted drivers and picked up 14 mph when hitting balls. The one club SSG thing was demonstrated by one website using a pretty small sample size. That said, I am only working out with one club these days.

Bottom line: you need to figure out what works for you.

Absolutely. I have a lot of work to do on my swing. I realized that for a long time I was playing with the same fault and I'm going to try to become a fader of the ball but that's going to take a lot of work. I hit middle most of the time (pic of my TS3 attached - not the best but I do have a clean face aside from the sweet spot). I want more raw speed mixed with more rotation so that I can start to play a reliable fade. Not sure if that will happen but if I can pick up distance without sacrificing accuracy I’m game!

SI5N3UCG52XJ.jpeg

Here is the link to my record keeping template (make a copy, do it 3 times a week, get faster): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cWjz_WpQpWEygs2OiTFvUvZxzJ0_PinRsyT6nTbKMww/edit?usp=sharingI have had the most success using the blue stick only versus the full protocol and just upping the reps to 5 versus 3 with about a minute of rest between sets and doing the program 3 days a week. As I have said, I have gone from 89 to my on course average is around 108-112 with a ball now. What helped me synthesize those gains was playing a few rounds where I took 2 practice swings with my middle speed stick and then hit my driver. After about 3 rounds of this the gains stuck.A bit of an epiphany moment earlier this week for speed courtesy of a @MonteScheinblum Instagram video of one of his students and a cast drill he recommends versus float load lag building. I noticed that by throwing the club out away from me in transition and focusing my speed better (trying to release my speed a foot before the ball versus at the ball) my swing speed jumps 10 mph to 121 and I can get to 112-114 easily on smoothies. I had always thought of holding the club off as long as possible and creating the most possible lag and using a mix of gravity and speed to pull the club into the ball at the last possible second thinking this was the fastest. However, feeling like I throw my speed earlier at the top has actually made me ridiculously faster with less effort. This move makes sense if you think of holding a whip, the most analogous example for lag, because the fastest part of the speed creating is not when you first release the whip with your wrist but a few moments after. I hit my first legit 300 yard drive in 7 years spending time on this technique. Total game changer.

Amazon.com : Sports Sensors Swing Speed Radar with Tempo Timer : Sports & OutdoorsYou can find them cheaper on the Bay.

I will say I periodically check my swing speed on a GCQuad and also ball speed is a good indicator.

You should. Your gains will be better and you will also save a lot of time you are wasting doing the full protocols.

I've seen multiple people mention the Blue stick only being a better Protocol. Have their been any case studies or trials on that? Where's that coming from? Thanks.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Yes look up par4success.com and they have a detailed report on this exact question.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

TPI has also pushed 1-stick only pretty heavily.

do you have a link to this?

this was from superspeed in 2019 video i saw

Greg Rose from TPI explaining the importance of using both lighter and heavier implements to increase speed. Using just a light club or just a heavy club won’t yield the same results especially when it comes to long term retention of those new speed gains. The light SuperSpeed clubs are designed to reset the neuromuscular reaction speed and the heavy club then cements these changes in the brain.

Here is the article that talks about speed from the TPI perspective and references Par4Success and other studies on speed in terms of low vs. high volume. The Safe Way to Train Fast: Determining Your Readiness For Overspeed TrainingI don't know what video you were trying to link to as it just takes me to the Facebook landing page for TPI. If you could post a direct link or give us a date and time of the post it would be much appreciated.

Overspeed Training - More Speed With Less Swings? - A 6 Week Study - Par4Success Physical Therapy and Golf Performance Center

This is from Par4Success, and is a good overview of their studies, which have been duplicated by the TPI folks. Chris Finn has written a long paper that is a meta study of research on swing speed not only in golf, but in baseball and cricket as well, and the results are all the same. I wish I could find a link to the paper, but the basics are these: you gain speed by swinging something the same weight as your "gamer". You FEEL like you are swinging faster after the use of a heavier implement, but it is actually slower; the studies in the other sports have come up with the same results.

None of this means that there aren't benefits to swinging a heavier club; you might get marginally stronger, or there might be technical improvements, or flexibility or mobility might increase. But there's pretty good research that swing speed doesn't.

I mean no offense to the SSG folks, but citing them as a source for the use of three sticks instead of one (not to mention the excessive number of swings involved) lacks any validity; they are selling three sticks, and they make more money selling three sticks instead of one. It would be remarkable if they said anything else.

And, of course, there's SSG's new product; a single stick the weight of a normal driver...

I bought one of those Momentus swing trainers when they were the king of the infomercial. its basically a heavy iron rod made to look like a golf club. If it did one thing it taught me to swing slower. I do still pick it up an take a few warm up swings with it to loosen the muscles, but in my opinion that's all it's good for. In fact I almost always swing it a few times very slowly to get warmed up before doing the Super Speed training.

I am now committed to using just the Blue stick for to see how that goes, so far no gains after a week but I am hitting my high end speeds more consistently.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The biggest change from my 5 year layoff is that my feels are completely off and in some places gone entirely. Not sure if this is rust, age, injuries or some combination thereof. Sometimes I can’t feel anything at all so I’m putting myself in a position to give myself the greatest margin for error.

That said, I don’t think it’s a SuperSpeed issue. I have one of those weights you can affix to the end of a club to warm up by twisting it into place and I use it occasionally for a similar reason as you stated, but mainly for club position awareness. I noticed while videoing my PlaneMate practice what I thought was halfway was almost all the way to parallel versus hip high.

The heavier stick helps reset my feels. I just don’t use it for speed.

Hey guys, haven’t been in this thread in a long time but I’m glad I checked in to see some info about using the blue stick only. I’m going to give that a go and see how the results look

Its been almost 2 years exactly from being on Trackman after a couple of months of SSG training then vs none now. I’ve lost about 4 mph from then to now from my average driver speed. I’ve had a little bit of instruction recently so hopefully the changes I’m trying to make are partly to blame for it.

If they involve any transition or pre-impact thoughts this is likely.

Toot my own horn, first round averaging over 280 in 7 years. Still no roll, screw you soggy Florida, but looking forward to Summer and 300 yards “bombs”.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link! I actually worked with Chris Finn for a few months around the time they were doing this testing.

I wish they would have done an actual SuperSpeed protocol and given equal rest. I never go through them without rest, usually taking a break after a Red set or just when needed.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Agree with this. Not really sure why the same rest wasn't implemented through all tests.