2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The New Ventus Black

mjbaker80

Anyone compare the stock smoke green that comes in the sim to the ventus black?

wondering if it is worth my time and money to switch.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I was looking at it more from both being classified as low/low shafts which are what I have had the best success with in the driver, but hitting the Blue was pretty eye-opening as the ball just seemed to jump off the club. I will say the Kiyoshi doesn't feel as stable as I would like at times so I may need to find somewhere to try the Ventus Black.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I love my Ventus 6s but hit my buddies Smoke Green 6.5 the other day. Its the stock one from the Sim. I was really surprised at how good it felt. Granted it was only one ball and a different head but I did hit it past my Ventus. The main thing that surprised me was how easy the Green in a 6.5 flex was to load. Not a problem at all for me and again I play and was fit for the 6s in the Ventus Black. The Ventus isn't going anywhere but the Smoke Green is definitely a different shaft so be careful. If it fits you, the Ventus may not work for you.

• Like 1

Just played my first round with the Cobra SZ with the Ventus Black 6S. All I can say is that was only my 3rd round of golf since October/November, and it was one of the straightest driving exhibitions I have ever put on. My playing partners were very impressed, and said that I shouldn’t even look at another driver for quite awhile. It is hard to base anything on one round of golf, but my confidence on the tee went up throughout the round, and that is important in and of itself.

Round 2 at Pebble Beach tomorrow. Stay tuned...

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Here are my Ventus Black thoughts after a couple rounds. Been meaning to type this up and just now getting a chance.

Put my 6x in an M3 440 head as I’m not quite yet ready to pull my SIM head out of the plastic. 440 has been in the bag for most of last year with a Tensei Pro Blue 60TX playing about 44.5-44.75. Ventus Black was ordered at stock length to give room for either tip/butt trimming as needed so SW is a bit high at around D6, so I’m just choking down a good inch or so.

I typically get along well with whiteboard-esque profiles with heavier/stiffer tip sections. I had previously tried an Atmos Black and Blue over the last couple years. Hated the Blue and the Black was tipped too much for me so it was very accurate but a lot of work to launch/spin properly. No experience with Ventus Blue.

Enter Ventus Black - right away feel is very stable and linear as Fujikura has detailed. However, I had no issues launching it plenty high for the window I like to see. Honestly launched higher than I expected with a pretty stock swing but I was also easily able to flight it down a little as needed. Likes to go relatively straight but will typically fall a little more left than right for me at the moment, but I’m chalking that up to a winter swing. As I mentioned, only 2 rounds and both were in sub 50 degree temps with a soggy course. I’m not sure if it’s an improvement in overall launch conditions, some favorable wind gusts, or something else but I’ve hit some tee balls to places I’ve only seen in summer conditions. For the profile I am again surprised by how easy it launches but with seemingly very low spin - just gets up in the air and keeps carrying. With the conditions I mentioned, nearly every tee shot hits and stops or bounces a yard or two at best so this has been all carry. No numbers but I will try to get my Mevo out on the course sometime soon. The stability really frees me up to take a full aggressive swings, something that usually takes me a number of rounds/months to develop that familiarity and trust. Some of that is definitely the 440 head as it just sets up great to my eye and gives me a lot of confidence. The last thing I’ll mention is the consistency in finding the center of the club face - I think Fujikura and some other folks have mentioned this as well as a result of the Velocore tech, but it really does somehow seem to promote high-quality strikes consistently. Flight, spin, and distance have all been very consistent as well because of that.

Sorry for the wall of text, but great experience so far and excited to see how it continues to fare as summer rolls around. Always been a Mitsubishi guy and Ventus Black ticks a lot of those same boxes. Not sure if there’s anything ground-breaking here, but definitely a great combination of materials and tech to create some excellent feel for this type of profile, and it seems to be working really well for me.

Well, we can see who plays it better tomorrow.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

Went out yesterday with my youngest son to help him with his game as he’s trying out for the schools golf team. Haven’t played much lately as work has been crazy and my sons had playoffs with basketball. The weather was warm (72) with just a 5-7mph breeze. First time in a while the courses were rolling as I’ve been playing when mud balls were on every shot. Have to say the more and more I play with the Black, the more and more I love this shaft. Have no issues getting this in the air and as someone else said I was surprised at the launch when I first played with the Black. However when it lands is when the I get the biggest surprise as I’m getting a nice role out. Hit a few that went 275 carry and then rolled out to 300. Hits not in the center still went out there 275 total distance and that’s all I can ask for. Great ball flight and only when I make a horrible swing (getting stuck) or when my back acts up and I try and muscle through and have the out to in path is when it goes off line. Otherwise it’s a nice gentle draw or straight. The Blues are firmly in the bag in the 3 and 5 woods. If you have a good AOA, don’t be afraid of the Black as I’ve read some are afraid it won’t get up in the air. Also I don’t feel like I’m struggling with the shaft as it doesn’t put any extra pressure on my back. The Pro Orange was the shaft that I felt I had trouble with.

for what’s it worth, I’m 50, cancer survivor and have had multiple back, intestine and kidney surgeries and my SS is now around 108-111 when I try and step on it. 5’11 and 170-175 pounds (depending if my wife doesn’t catch me snacking, lol). I stretch before every round and use the MISIG to stretch before playing. It has helped me a ton with shoulder rotation and just being more flexible in my lower back. The Ventus Black feels smooth (at least to me) and I can swing easy or step on it without any issues. Some shafts in the past felt different, depending if I tried to swing normal vs going after one.

Hope this can help answer some questions or concerns about the Ventus is anyone has doubts.

hit em straight.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I have been able to get more work in with my G410 9* LST Ventus Black 7X and G410 14.5* LST Ventus Black 8X. Getting the exact ball flight and numbers I’m looking for. Finding Center more often (also playing 44.25 and 42.25 helps) and the consistency has been amazing. Hitting a nice power fade with driver that runs out nicely and just pumping the 3 wood. Been a nice surprise, as the launch is a bit higher than the Hzrdus Black I had in it before and the feel is much better, but spin numbers have remained similar. Overall extremely happy with both setups right now and still considering Bagging the G410 5 wood instead of my hybrid so I can put a Ventus black 10X in it ?

My kind of guy! Shafts can never be too heavy or too stiff. Would love to get ahold of a 9X or 10X for a fairway shaft.

Driver:  Cobra Darkspeed LS 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

had a nice beautiful 52* day in Chicago yesterday. Lucky enough to play 18 and it was the first time with Ventus Black on course. I've had about 7 range sessions now and what I see from the monitors was almost identical to seeing on course.

Its by far the most stable shaft ive played any does not feel like a board. You can really feel how little of deflection there is on the face when you make contact on poor strikes. Heel/toe shots fly much straighter with very minimal curve compared to anything ive seen. I typically have a slight draw but yesterday I saw a much straighter shape. My miss is leaving the face open leading to a push fade. Still did that yesterday but instead of fading farther right it stayed straight on the line where I missed

I mentioned a few pages back its not the farthest shaft/combo ive played but dispersion has tightened up. After 18 I ate lunch and relaxed a little before going to the range since it was so nice out. There is a Top Tracer monitor at my course so I can get a general idea of speed and distance. With Ventus my max ball speed was 164 and avg 162. Then the first swing with my LA Golf ozik black tie the first ball speed was 166, avg 164. Launch/spin being considered the Ventus is maybe 7-10 yards shorter but the strikes are much more consistent. Accuracy with Ventus blows ozik black tie away and the past 2 years its been my favorite shaft

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Was curious if you did any tipping in the driver or 3wood? I have a 6x black in the driver untipped but going to move to the 7x and was going to get either a black or blue for the 3wood but wasn’t sure if there were any tipping recommendations for 3woods.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/Ventus Blue TR 7x

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

So I just got back from a great golf trip. We played 3 days in a row, on 3 different courses. I was pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to assess this shaft since I've only played a couple of rounds over the past 4 months due to winter in Indy. There is no question that the dispersion was tighter for me with this new set up. I think the shaft is mainly responsible, but I can't say for sure since it is a different head (Cobra SZ with the Ventus Black 6s at 44.5 inches). Well struck balls are no different than my F9 with Tensei Pro Orange, but my misses were alittle closer to the fairway. Obviously a bad swing still results in a bad result, but slight mishits off the toe or heel side of the face were punished less. There also seemed to be less side spin, as my bad swings were more of a push or a pull, rather than a hook or a slice. More testing still needed, but promising start.

LEFT HANDED

Bought a Ventus Black 6x with a TS3 8.5 from a Spanish guy playing on the Spansh tour, at ebay. It plays 45.25". The shaft was tipped 0.5 " . My ss is about 107-109. My friend bought a Ventus Black 6x as well, also playing a TS3 8.5 . His shaft was not tipped, so we swapped. My tipped shaft felt a lot stiffer and spin went up 200 RPMs and ballspeed went down to 105???

My friend has ss around 120 so he is much faster than me, but I am glad that he liked my tipped shaft better. He played Pro Orang 70 tx before, and he thinks that shaft is more stout, compared to Ventus Black 6x, spin is about the same for him (around 2000 RPM = 300 meters). I have tried his Pro Orange 70TX and it was to stout for me, but I got some fine numbers. I really like my Wentus Black 6x and my spin is now 2000-2600 depending on the strike. My former driver was a Rouge SZ 9.0 set at 8.0 with a Hzrdus Yellow 76 gram 6.5 tipped 1.5" and that shaft is not as stable as the Ventus Black 6x. I have always used x-shafts because my swing is aggressive. Ventus Black 6x got my spin down 300-400, so I am really satisfied. Just testing inside with Trackman, because it is wintertime here in the northern part of Sweden. So tip the shaft gently...

Regards PEO

Also in Chicago, and also hitting the Ventus Black in an 8* SIM. Here's an update to the last page, where I was all over the place.

Once I straightened my swing out things got a lot better. I'm at around 115-117mph, so this combo is really getting the ball out there. Hard to put numbers on it at a range with dirty golf balls and no monitor, but when it works it really works.

It's absolutely possible to put a 40 yard slice on the ball with this shaft/club combination, but I'm sure you all knew that. However, when you square the face and put a good swing on it, the dispersion is really tight. I was able to keep track of where I was striking on the club face due to the aforementioned dirt on the range balls, and anything remotely close to the center ended up right where I wanted. Outliers were probably dirt (my towel was worthless after cleaning a couple dozen balls.) This was a big improvement over the other shaft I tried in the SIM, where off center strikes were really punished. Less twist, more solid, super accurate- all true in my experience. Great setup.

Tested Ventus Black against current shaft, Smoke Green TX and Raijin Black, RIP-X, Rogue White TX. Early testing had Smoke Green TX the best against Black, X and Rogue on initial test with Mavrik SZ. Ventus Black added 5-6 MPH ball speed over earlier test results in the past week. Dispersion was better with Ventus Black over Smoke Green as well. Consistency of strike location with Ventus Black is hard to beat!

Rocking the black in my @TaylorMadeGolf SIM Driver:
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/615/HI52OL4KLI8M.png[/img]
[img]https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_158265360421613&key=202af8f4ce9f2b881bf497a8a3f5add2&libId=k7272rhp0100jaw0000DAnmukewa9&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.golfwrx.com%2Fdiscussion%2F1806264%2F2020-taylormade-sim-and-sim-max-drivers-in-hand-photos-m5-m6-comparison-pics%2Fp50&v=1&opt=true&out=https%3A%2F%2Fus.v-cdn.net%2F6024507%2Fuploads%2F583%2FLD93F4EH23Q8.png&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.golfwrx.com%2Fdiscussion%2F1806264%2F2020-taylormade-sim-and-sim-max-drivers-in-hand-photos-m5-m6-comparison-pics&title=2020%20TaylorMade%20SIM%20and%20SIM%20Max%20drivers%20(in%20hand%20photos%2C%20M5%2FM6%20comparison%20pics)%20-%20Page%2050%20%E2%80%94%20GolfWRX&txt=%0A%3Cimg%20class%3D%22embedImage-img%22%20src%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fus.v-cdn.net%2F6024507%2Fuploads%2F583%2FLD93F4EH23Q8.png%22%20alt%3D%2212.png%22%3E%0A[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/936/EUE9IVJGLX35.png[/img]

• Like 1

I'm doin' it! Just BST'ed a SIM Max 10.5* with Ventus Black 7x sight unseen to replace my current TM M4 9.5* with Synergy Black 70TX. I've always been in the low/low profile, having had a Tensei Pro White 70TX, PX HZRDUS Black 6.5, and Motore Speeder 7.2 TS before that. In my current driver, I've noticed that I'm launching it a little lower than I'd like, so I'm lofting up and sticking with the low/low shaft. Based on the discussion, it seems the Ventus launches ever so slightly higher than the lowest of the low/low shafts. This should help increase launch a little while controlling spin. I'm excited!

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

i got fitted into the ventus black 6x this weekend. I sort of new this is where I was going as I played the blue 6x all last year, loved it just spun too much and have always been a Fuji guy. Really like the maverick head over the epic flash. Sound feel weight all fit into what I am looking for. The only other shaft I thought of going with is the new Motore F1, was shocked how good that felt to me as I was not expecting it. On average it just spun a couple hundred rpm’s more so I stayed with the ventus.

Was curious anyone buy a x and go down to s or vice versa? Ordered a 7x but thinking should've went 7s tipped or 6x. Not here yet(thanks ups) but was just thinking about how stiff that 7x will be. Ss ranges 104-115 because I suck lol. Miss is always left and have a super fast/harsh transition.

Heard this thing is back ordered into May from Tm

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide