2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Moving to NJ and need golf and proximity to mid town

My wife just took a new job in mid town in NYC and we are wanting to move to some place in NJ that she can get to work via train or ferry less than an hour and I can get to golf course in around 30 minutes. I'm retired and a single digit handicap but I just like to get out 3-4 days a week and play a round with great guys. While I'd be willing to pay an initiation fee, I'm a bit cheap and want something pretty modest. I'm completely fine with a public option as long as there's a half decent practice range. I'd appreciate any help as the area is new to us.

Check out the Suffern NY area or Bergen county NJ. Suffern has Spook Rock, a great local public course. Lots of courses nearby. NJT Train runs through Suffern.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I've been commuting to Mid town for 40 years. I'm not a fan of the NJT trains because you have to switch trains and end up at Penn Station. Unfortunately, the bus is the better alternative for me, but still not a great commute. If you can afford Westchester, that's the best commute to mid town. The metro north trains fro Westchester to Grand Central are really good. In any event, from Bergen I get a bus from the Montvale park & Ride which is a 40 minute ride to the Port Authority if you catch a bus before 7:00 am After that it can take between 50 minutes and an hour depending on traffic and weather. The Parking is free and the bus on that route is very reliable. Montvale is very nice place to live and there are other nice towns nearby: Park Ridge, River Vale, Hillsdale, Washington, Westwood. River Vale Country Club is semi private and the best bang for the buck course in the area IMO. If you join, you get a reserved tee time every Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Monday. You can make other tee times before the tee sheet becomes available to the public. They hired a new superintendent a few years ago and he does an amazing job. The course has been in as good condition as the private clubs in the area and the greens have been very fast. I play early mornings on the weekends and the pace of play is under 4 hours. Although it slows up later in the day. I was a member of a private club for more than 25 years before I left to join River Vale. I'm saving money and playing a very nice course.

Another good option is the West Orange/Maplewood area. You can get to Midtown in less than an hour by public transportation and can play Rock Spring Golf Club. It was a private club for many years and just went public last year. The town bought it, but there is no guaranty how long it will remain open as there are rumors of it being sold for other purposes, but it is a great layout designed by Seth Raynor. It still has the Raynor greens and bunkers and is a joy to play. I'm not sure if they offer memberships with guarantied tee times the way River Vale does and don't know what the pace of play is like during peak season.

There are a number of decent public courses in Bergen County as well as neighboring Hudson and Essex and Rockland (NY), but none are as good options as River Vale and Rock Spring.

IM me if you have questions. I'd be happy to have you join me for a round at River Vale

Here are links to photo tours of River Vale and Rock Spring. The Rock Spring Photos were taken in late autumn and do not do justice to the course.https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157652794421453 - River Vale CC Pixhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157711743602266 Rock Spring Pix

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head, I don't recall many north jersey courses that have practice ranges on site. Driving ranges are usually stand alone businesses spread about.

For 1 hour commute to Midtown, I'd suggest South Orange, Maplewood, Millburn, Short Hills, or Summit. These stations have direct trains that go to Penn Station. If you decide on Summit, you'll be within 30-40min driving to the following public courses:

Francis Byrne (West Orange)

Rock Spring (West Orange)

Knoll East (Lake Hiawatha)

Galloping Hill (Kenilworth) - great practice facility

Flanders Valley (Flanders)

Warrenbrook (Warren)

Spooky Brook (Somerset)

Roycebrook (Hillsborough Township) - great practice facility

Neshanic Valley (Neshanic Station) - great practice facility golf courses near summit nj - Google Search

Plus there are a ton of private courses in that area as well. Good luck on your hunt!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I play a lot near Atlantic City, NY / Egg harbor township.... best courses in NJ.

However anything closure to NJ, not that many great course but good amount muni courses. However second pick would be South Plainfield NJ.

Westchester, NY has good quality golf.

Expect heavy rush during summer during weekend. This wont affect you as you might enjoy them during weekdays.

Moving to Westchester County is expensive but with better quality course. As well as Faifield county in Connecticut.

• 5 months later...

I just stumbled over this interesting thread.   

What did you end up doing?

I'm at Watchung Valley Golf Club and we have quite a few NYC members who make it to the course in 35 minutes or so.  Even as a single digit handicapper I'm sure you would find the Seth Raynor layout at WVGC very challenging.  

I was in the Princeton area before that and I can vouch for Springdale Golf Club as an excellent option if you moved along the Rt. 1 corridor.  Superb practice facilities and and very interesting William Flynn course circa 1926.  I was a member for 37 year before leaving for Watchung Valley as it is much closer to my home (Far Hills).

Both Clubs have top-notch professional staffs, participate in the Met Pro-AM series, and have great clubhouses and interesting, diverse memberships.  Springdale is a Troon Prive Club which provides you with additional golf options including Raritan Valley CC in the heart of Somerset County.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:26 AM, sabram said:

I've been commuting to Mid town for 40 years. I'm not a fan of the NJT trains because you have to switch trains and end up at Penn Station.

Not necessarily. 

Many locations to live in New Jersey with commute on New Jersey Transit trains which go directly in to Penn Station.

4 hours ago, eagles1 said:

Not necessarily. 

Many locations to live in New Jersey with commute on New Jersey Transit trains which go directly in to Penn Station.

I know, but not from where I live. Penn Station is not convenient for me in any event. I suppose to be clear I should have said " I'm not a fan of the NJT trains because from where I live in Bergen you have to switch trains and Penn Station is not convenient for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 6:26 AM, sabram said:

I've been commuting to Mid town for 40 years. I'm not a fan of the NJT trains because you have to switch trains and end up at Penn Station. Unfortunately, the bus is the better alternative for me, but still not a great commute. If you can afford Westchester, that's the best commute to mid town. The metro north trains fro Westchester to Grand Central are really good. In any event, from Bergen I get a bus from the Montvale park & Ride which is a 40 minute ride to the Port Authority if you catch a bus before 7:00 am After that it can take between 50 minutes and an hour depending on traffic and weather. The Parking is free and the bus on that route is very reliable. Montvale is very nice place to live and there are other nice towns nearby: Park Ridge, River Vale, Hillsdale, Washington, Westwood. River Vale Country Club is semi private and the best bang for the buck course in the area IMO. If you join, you get a reserved tee time every Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Monday. You can make other tee times before the tee sheet becomes available to the public. They hired a new superintendent a few years ago and he does an amazing job. The course has been in as good condition as the private clubs in the area and the greens have been very fast. I play early mornings on the weekends and the pace of play is under 4 hours. Although it slows up later in the day. I was a member of a private club for more than 25 years before I left to join River Vale. I'm saving money and playing a very nice course.

Another good option is the West Orange/Maplewood area. You can get to Midtown in less than an hour by public transportation and can play Rock Spring Golf Club. It was a private club for many years and just went public last year. The town bought it, but there is no guaranty how long it will remain open as there are rumors of it being sold for other purposes, but it is a great layout designed by Seth Raynor. It still has the Raynor greens and bunkers and is a joy to play. I'm not sure if they offer memberships with guarantied tee times the way River Vale does and don't know what the pace of play is like during peak season.

There are a number of decent public courses in Bergen County as well as neighboring Hudson and Essex and Rockland (NY), but none are as good options as River Vale and Rock Spring.

IM me if you have questions. I'd be happy to have you join me for a round at River Vale

Here are links to photo tours of River Vale and Rock Spring. The Rock Spring Photos were taken in late autumn and do not do justice to the course.https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157652794421453 - River Vale CC Pixhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157711743602266 Rock Spring Pix

I moved to Bergen County from SoCal a few years ago and I second River Vale and Rock Spring. River Vale has awesome early morning weekday rates which sound ideal now that OP is retired. 

I have only just discovered Rock Spring this golf season and it quickly became one of my favorite affordable tracks.