2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Miura 1957 Small Blade/Baby Blade enthusiasts thread! (Lots of enabling and physics lessons inside)

PopIt&DropIt

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> Just bought these guys and couldn't wait to post a photo! The white chrome finish is apparently new for the 2019 Baby Blades and it looks incredible! Miura always has the best looking chrome work IMO and these look just like a satin version. I played with Baby Blades for a couple rounds a few years ago and actually shot my best round of the year with a 66 (-6). I had tremendous ball control with them, even my playing partners noticed the difference.

>

> At the time they had C-Taper 130X in them and they felt a little too heavy and I was hitting the 3-iron and 4-iron lower than I wanted to. I weirdly reshafted them to Aerotech i110 and felt like I totally butchered the clubs. The balance was way off for my swing and I just couldn't play them anymore. I was literally duffing 9-irons when I was pureing them just a week before. Long story short, I sold them off and broke even. Years have gone by and I haven't really gamed any irons that I loved since or felt like I had the same level of control over. I saw these new 2019 Baby Blades hit the market and immediately got the itch again aaannnd here we are...

>

> I have them shafted with Modus 125X shafts which I've been told are basically X100's (my tried and true) but with Nippon feel... sound good, right? I have them bent to more traditional lofts, 22* 3i down to a 48* PW. I'm a little nervous/anxious to get them on the course because the only club that looks "hard to hit" is the 3-iron, but I think it's the demons from before when I just couldn't get the height out of it that I wanted. However, all it will take is a nice high shot to take that worry away!5009knd0evap.jpg

>

Congrats. Those are beautiful. I will be interested in knowing how they compare to the original baby blades.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is looking to sell a set let me know please.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @f123acez said:

> > @"PopIt&DropIt" said:

> > > @f123acez said:

> > > guys i love my baby blades, more than anything whatsoever, best iron ive ever hit ...............

> > >

> > > BUT ....................

> > >

> > > i cannot hit my **** 2 or 3 iron.. even the 4 iron off the turn.. off the tee on par 3s or short 4s they are fine, i can get the ball in the air... but second shots into par 5s, anything with forced carry, whatever it is, i just really cannot get these in the air enough to carry in my opinion....

> > >

> > > anyone run a bit of a combo set? thinking of going for the cb57s in 3 and 4 iron to replace the blades .. i just feel i dont get these up and flying enough rly

> > >

> > > do i go for the cb57s in 3 and 4 iron or stick it out with my BBs and just get better at the game (LOL)

> >

> > I got a cb 57 3iron when I first got my baby blades and I didn't find them any easier to hit. They are longer heel to toe but I hit the BB 3 iron better. Many others here reported the same. If you want a Miura cavity back I think the cb 1008s are a better fit, although still not all that much more forgiving. There are a number of guys, myself included who feel the Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi makes for a great baby blade long iron replacement. I bagged one with my BBs for all of last year and think its a great club. Very high launch and comes off like a rocket. Although much bigger I also think the Srixon u85 makes a great replacement and what I currently use.

>

> my issue isnt hitting them. i pure every single one of them from 2 iron to pitching wedge. they feel like missiles off the face. i just find the long irons 2,3,4 i cannot get it UP in the air. its like im hitting stingers with them. the rest my ball flight and launch is great in my opinion..

Maybe go for a fitting and get high launch graphite shafts in the long irons?

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

• 3 weeks later...

> @"A.G. Pennypacker " said:

> > @bluejeeprubi said:

> > Are the new baby blades hard to find are the available at most Miura dealers?

>

> You know, I bet if you phoned a Miura dealer you'd get a solid answer.

I did today. Was a little late to call Chip when I made the post. But appreciate the wonderful tip. For anyone else wondering, second release should be in December.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

> @bluejeeprubi said:

> > @"A.G. Pennypacker " said:

> > > @bluejeeprubi said:

> > > Are the new baby blades hard to find are the available at most Miura dealers?

> >

> > You know, I bet if you phoned a Miura dealer you'd get a solid answer.

>

> I did today. Was a little late to call Chip when I made the post. But appreciate the wonderful tip. For anyone else wondering, second release should be in December.

>

>

Has anyone confirmed if these are the same iron with different badging or a different design altogether?

• 2 months later...

Joined the Miura club. I purchased a 3-PW Miura 1957 baby blade set with Modus 105S and No. 1 grips from a private seller in San Diego (he had other multiple Miura sets 5003, 101). I played MP33 and AP2 before. The ball speed off these clubs are no joke and very noticeable difference. Also the No. 1 grips, I'd never heard of this brand grip before but these are awesome too barely need to grip since the grip is so tacky. The shaft gram weight difference I need to get used to since I've played S300 and AMT shafts in my previous clubs.

• 3 months later...

anyone know when the next BB release will come out?

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41

LHXA6QAYVOH4.jpgBought the head 5years ago. Built it last month. 5 rounds so far. Awesome combo. Just a mortal golfer so MMT is 80's S. SW came out perfect #5 at D2 w/o adding weight. I like the no.1 grip, the only grip that I like w/o cord.

• Like 1

Driver -
Ryoma- crazy royal deco
Fw -
#3 Cally Legacy'10 - Diamana R.
#5 Rbz stg1 tour TP std Rul.
#7 Cleaveland Launcher 1st gen std Fuji gold.
Irons -
#4-Hy JBeam - Attas.
#5-Pw Miura BB - MR MTI.
Wedges -
52 & 58 Fourteen Rm 12 std Dg.
Putter -
Lajosi dd copper.

• 2 months later...

who all has a one iron if so what shaft? I’m putting Nippon spb x 2-w but I can’t locate a spb 1 iron shaft or even a second 2i shaft

G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Good to see this thread is still alive.

I'm still loving both my BB sets. Since my last post I added a 1i, courtesy of kaaayelll our resident BB "fixer". I call it "Excalibur".

Also working with a Japanese buddy at work to have a custom order for a 52* BB. Apparently he has an inside connection there and has met Miura-san himself.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Yeah I would love a spb in there to match the rest but that isn’t an option. Guess I’m curious if anyone has stuck a hybrid shaft or anything in them.

this will be my third set, I keep trying new things, selling my bbs but always come back. Will be interesting to play driver 1i-pw 56,60 and a putter. I’m just glad I found a full set of the the originals 1-pw

G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

What it isn’t magic made from rare metals fused with the souls of samurais then forged in dragon breath and blessed by virgins?

ive played bb on off for a long time. I’m just curious if anyone has dropped in a shaft like a gd di or similar.

and for your reference a mega-unicorn is a rhinoceros

G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

@DeNinny
I'm gonna need you to keep me updated on this. I asked twice and was told no.

I would love for a matching Baby Blade 52°.

I've had several Hand Grinds made since replicating. But would love one from Mr. Miura.

I kinda have one on the way. I ordered MCW TB•Zero 5-P & P/S. The 9, P & P/S are all "small blade" with reduced topline, no offset, and a touch of added bounce. Double cut on the sole. Should play similarly to a Baby Blade 52° and Mr. Miura touches the TB•Zero (like the original Baby Blade).
  • Like 1

Three BB sets! NICE!!! Trust me in that the baby blade design beats virtually all other iron designs from a superior physics standpoint. So it's best not to sell them based on that alone.

My first set was a satin PW - 3i with Nippon NS Pro 950s regular flex. About a year after realizing that these were the...best...clubs...EVA!!! I got my second set, black boron PW - 3i with Nippon NS Pro 850 stiff flex. Later I added a 2i and then after that a 1i. Also black boron. Pics below. They show how the black boron turns more like a patina finish over time when you see the newer 1i compared to the 2i. I call my satin set my "Cal Hotties" to pay homage to my school and my black boron set my "P*rn Stars" because they are just se*y AF. They play and feel that way too. I'll game the 2i no problem but I still don't want to pull my 3w and replace it with the 1i...yet...

J4XFAALDYHRG.jpg

ZWNNXPS1EQJR.jpg

VTBNI649E0MQ.jpg

• Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

@EaglesGolf99
No problem I will keep you posted on my 53* quest. I have a feeling I'm going to get rejected too but it's worth a shot. I just sent my email request to my buddy today so I should hopefully hear back soon. I changed to a 53* loft to match my current wedge loft and to more evenly gap it between my PW and 60*.
I think WRXer bladehunter had a standard BB PW bent to 52* and also custom ground and he did it through a custom fitter/grinder. So that's another option for you. Also I've seen on eBay that there's a seller that will take a standard Miura wedge and grind it down in size to more like BB proportions. I've considered this option but never pulled the trigger. Hoping I don't have to because I'll get my custom request filled. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

@DeNinny ... I'd consider it a long shot on the Miura Baby Blade 53° from Mr. Miura.

Bladehunter and I talked at length about his custom Baby Blade 52°. He got an extra PW, had the sole welded and reground. Not something I'm interested in doing as you introduce foreign metal to Miura metal! Hunter loves his 52° though! Cool project!

Yup, that's Chip Usher (he's a member here and Sponsor here)! The Hand Grinds. Yes, I have 8 of those. LOL. Love them. Best wedges in the game. A beautiful COG on those!
  • Like 1

@EaglesGolf99
LOL 8 wedges and your endorsement says a lot. I'll definitely keep Chip in mind. Thanks!
And I hear you about not wanting to mix metals of different quality. For me and based on an engineering/physics standpoint you really are better off with a consistent and single material throughout the entire head, and in particular it is most important at the area directly behind the ball at impact. Whenever materials change, there are microscopic to molecular imperfections at the interface. Like puzzle pieces that don't quite fit together but are still forced and fused together anyway. And then when those two materials are under forces, say, from impact with a golf ball, that imperfect interface is where the pure vibrations and stresses from impact are disrupted and inconsistent as compared to the case of a single material that doesn't have that interface. It will change how impact literally will feel, and not in a good way.
With two metals it's not so bad, but when it's two vastly different materials, it's worse. This is why I cringe at these newer faux "forgiveness" designs with plastic inserts in the metal clubhead. That plastic - metal interface it not a good design as compared to a single pure steel one which has no interface.
And furthermore hard plastic is an awful material for withstanding repeated bending and beating from repeated golf ball impacts. It's cheaper, but not better than pure steel.
I'm probably splitting hairs about these issues, but nonetheless they definitely aren't issues with BB and blades in general designs. And for me that's still enough peace of mind to keep me wanting a single metal club design. As an engineer and hack golfer I want every technical advantage that I can get. Hence, my preference of BBs over all other irons!

Registered Bladeocrat

Did you seriously sit on a set of BB heads for 5 years before fitting them to play? I'm sorry but I can't wrap my head around that one. ?

Edit: FYI I played No1s for a couple of seasons on my woods. They are good grips but to me they wore out fast.

Registered Bladeocrat

Yeah @DeNinny. I am collecting good clubs and putters. Felt no rush to play it / put in the bag right away, each will make their time in the bag soon or later. Anyway, when I bought BB when I was compete in the Mid Am, so I just buy the head only and think later, just wasn't good time to switch gamer at that time.

• Like 1

Driver -
Ryoma- crazy royal deco
Fw -
#3 Cally Legacy'10 - Diamana R.
#5 Rbz stg1 tour TP std Rul.
#7 Cleaveland Launcher 1st gen std Fuji gold.
Irons -
#4-Hy JBeam - Attas.
#5-Pw Miura BB - MR MTI.
Wedges -
52 & 58 Fourteen Rm 12 std Dg.
Putter -
Lajosi dd copper.

@maslie that's a great first world problem. I wanna collect some old school Wilson FG-59s and now I just creamed my jeans over Ricky's new Rev33s ... Both of which approach the technically superior BB head size and design.@EaglesGolf99 my Miuras hookup Japanese buddy just stopped by and said they can build me that 53* BB club. The only catch is that it will have the "Miuraism" stamping instead of the standard US stamping with the wreath and 1957 and such. That's not an issue with me and makes it even cooler. He also said for sure it will be Miura-san himself that grinds it. Apparently he still grinds all "Hagane" and "Miuraism" branded heads. All other Miura brands are ground by others.

Registered Bladeocrat