2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Relocating To Atlanta - Best Country Clubs?

jrthom21

Hello all. My family and I are going to relocate to the Atlanta area in the very near future. I wanted to ask the forum for insight on best areas to live and best country clubs. I know this question is a little redundant and similar to other posts, but my situation and criteria are different and not covered in the other posts. And I figured everyone likes discussing golf & golf courses on a golf forum.

My wife lived in Atlanta after college, so she is familiar with the area, but that was ~10 years ago and we're sure much has changed. We think we want to like in the Marietta/Alpharetta/Johns Creek areas, but are open to anywhere.

We are purposely looking for a country club. I'm 35 with a young family (18 mo daughter, and another on the way). So we really want a place to provide a good community/social setting and fun membership for the entire family. We're also going to be new to town, and want to meet other families.

I am an avid golfer, and very much enjoy the game. I'm not very good (10.1 index) but enjoy tournament golf and regular games with wagering. So I would like a great track and an active MGA.

Quick list of criteria:

* Country Club with family atmosphere

* Management that does a good job introducing new members to the club

* Well appointed and groomed golf course. (Moving from FL, so would prefer bent grass greens; I'm over grain :smile: but this is by no means a deal breaker)

* Good mix of age diversity in the membership

* Resort style pool that is kid friendly

* We would like a club that comes with a little prestige, but not stuffy atmosphere

* Initiation budget - $30,000-$75,000

* Monthly - $300-$1,000

When speaking with people familiar with ATL golf, Atlanta Athletic Club seems to keep coming up. I've been told that it is within my budget (and maybe better since I could qualify for a junior membership) and that the facilities are superb. I'd love to hear of your experience with AAC. I'm attracted to the idea of 36 holes and a course that has hosted a PGA championship. I'm also told that it's on a wait list.

Thank you all for your input!

One club I would look at is The Manor located in Milton. It is owned by Club Corp, the facilities are outstanding. They have bent grass greens plus swim and tennis programs for the kids. Depending on the price of the home you are looking for, that might be a place to look at for a home.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Atlanta Country Club. ACC (not aac). You must look into it. It's exactly what you are looking for (rates also), my boss is a member and I play there every other month. My favorite in Atlanta.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

To be completely honest only Peachtree has great Bentgrass greens year round. If you are asking on here, then you aren't eligible to be a member at Peachtree, think Augusta National type of members.

I have played just about every private club in Atlanta in spring, fall and summer. The problem with Bent grass in Atlanta is by the time the fairways are good your greens are super soft and super slow. Fall is really the only time you get a great all around course with bent greens.

As far as areas to live..... East Cobb and John's creek have the best school districts, with East Cobb being thought of generally as the better of the two, but not by a ton. There are pockets in other areas with good schools, but not that much better for how much higher the homes are in those areas.

John's Creek great clubs that aren't stuffy........Bueller, Bueller, Bueller. To be honest, the higher end clubs all have a stuffy feeling, and more than anything that can ruin a club for a person. However level of stuffy and how stuffy something feels varies widely between individuals. I am sure there are members on WRX that are at Standard, St, Marlow, CC of the South, AAC, Sugarloaf, Golf Club of Georgia that aren't stuffy and plenty of folks who don't feel one or more of those clubs are stuffy. AAC absolutely has a waiting list, and at this point it is an invite only type of deal and in my opinion is the most stuffy of the Johns Creek area clubs. They are also Bermuda greens.

In general there are more clubs to look at that fit your criteria in the John's Creek area.

In the East Cobb area you are limited to Settindown, Marietta Country Club, and Cherokee. Settindown and Cherokee are far and away the better golf courses of those three. Marietta stays in pretty good shape, but with 27 holes they have maybe 14 good golf holes(In my opinion) I am sure someone will disagree with me here. Cherokee is invite only and they have a waiting list and bermuda greens. Pinetree, Indian HIlls, and Brookfield aren't really what you are looking for in the East Cobb area as none of these have the "prestige" you are looking for.

Milton "area" you have the Manor, White Columns, and Capital City Crabapple that all fit close to what you are looking for, but as Club Corp entities(Manor and WC), don't really have the prestige. Capital City does, but they may be invite only at this point.

Other areas, if you pay close attention you can get in a good school district in the Dunwoody area and Dunwoody Country Club fits your bill for the most part. Dunwoody also has some good schools close by if you buy in the correct area and also gives you good access to stuff in town as well. If I had it to do all over again, this is probably the course of action I would take.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

West of West Cobb has great schools too, think Ford ES, Harrison HS etc. The local clubs are Brookstone and BentWater (Marietta CC isn't that far either!). We've been social members of Brookstone for a couple of years and happy there. Kids love it in the summer. They were bought by CLubCorp last year, Phase 1 of the club refurb is open now and the lot should be done by end of the year. We migrated to full golf recently. I'm a returning beginner after a 30 yr gap and so I enjoy my time on their course, but can't really compare yet.

I don’t live in the area but have been researching clubs to play on a near future business trip. While fit and cost are very important, club prestige is a good indicator of club financial stability and other perks (I.e. business relationships or getting to play other famous clubs when traveling).

AAC has hosted 4 majors and ACC is on the Platinum Clubs of America Top 150 list. Based on my experience playing and visiting clubs all over the country , these two indicators likely put them head and shoulders above the rest mentioned above (excluding Peachtree).

Additionally, East Lake (which I believe is mainly corporate memberships now), Peachtree (for obvious reasons), and Piedmont Riders Club (less known for golf) probably round out the top tier (someone from Atlanta can correct me if I am wrong).

If you can work your way into any of these top tier clubs on a junior rate/junior initiation fee do so.

I always love a good Atlanta club thread.

I am assuming you are are not looking for a club that has a $1000 initiation and high turnover. Based on your budget there are two ways to look at it Independent private clubs and premium ClubCorp clubs.

I think premium ClubCorp clubs are ~$20K (The Manor, White Columns, CC of South, Atlanta National). I know some people crap on ClubCorp but it does seem like having a lot of options but locally and nationally is a good benefit. This is a category you are either interested in or vehemently against.

The upper eschelon of Atlanta clubs is now north of $100k and you need more personal sponsorship (Piedmont Driving club, Capital City, Cherokee).

The next tier will be closer (or a bit over) your initiation budget (Druid Hills, AAC, ACC, Dunwoody, Ansley)

There are lots in the middle/lower end of your range (Golf club of Georgia, Horseshoe Bend, CC Roswell, St. Ives, Crooked Creek, Brookfield, Indian Hills, Rivermont, Standard Club, Pinetree,+ a lot more)

On thing you will find both in Atlanta and on this forum is there are a lot of clubs and people are very passionate about their home club. There likely is not a wrong answer and lots and lots of right answers. A lot will depend on how far out in the suburbs you want to live. Another factor will be how long you are willing to wait to get into full golf. Most of the $50k+ clubs have substantial waiting lists right now. Not sure about the others. Some you can join as social with limited golf privileges but have to wait 3+ years to get full golf. Also, after the recession many clubs created both under 40 classifications and mid-term payment plans. My final comment would be regarding stuffiness. The $100k clubs are of course the most stuffy and have more restrictive rules with things like fivesomes and music on the course, and also have chamber music and ice sculptures in the clubhouse. Every other club is going to have a grumpy old man or two but for the most part the club scene in Atlanta is family oriented and is much more relaxed than it was 30 years ago.

Note: Some of my initiation fees are estimates so i may be off in some my comparisons and might get some folks complaining that I put their club in a category with another one.

I agree with all that david.c.w says. Overall my best advice is to find a knowledgeable realtor. They will really be able to help you as many of the clubs also have homes available for sale. If you find a home with a club and good schools, that would be the optimal situation. A good realtor will be able to not only show you the homes but would have the connections to the clubs to get tours of the club and might be able to arrange a round at the clubs that interest you the most. They will also be able filter out homes that do not meet your needs club and school wise.

• Like 1

Callaway Chrome Soft

• 1 month later...

Most of these Atlanta CC posts talk about places in the suburbs north of Atlanta. What options (within a reasonable drive) are there for someone that needs to work in Midtown, either as a commute to work, or as a commute to the golf course? Price range ideally south of $5k initiation, or even public/semi-private courses where you won't be waiting on six hour rounds and can get on easily enough.

EDIT: Age low 30s. Haven't yet found a place to live, exploring those options now.

> @JoshuaR said:

> Most of these Atlanta CC posts talk about places in the suburbs north of Atlanta. What options (within a reasonable drive) are there for someone that needs to work in Midtown, either as a commute to work, or as a commute to the golf course? Price range ideally south of $5k initiation, or even public/semi-private courses where you won't be waiting on six hour rounds and can get on easily enough.

>

> EDIT: Age low 30s. Haven't yet found a place to live, exploring those options now.

That is the rub. Atlanta city golf is terrible. Atlanta suburb golf is awesome. In town is either total crap muni or $100k initiation and you can't get in anyway. You simply cant live/golf/work in midtown. You need to do a full commute to one or live in between. Recommend living somewhere along the top end of I-285, commute to midtown (30 min) and commute to your golf course (15-30 min). South of the city has good golf but your commute will be longer to work if you are looking for quality housing/schools (sorry if I offend anyone). For living look at Smyrna, Vinings, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Brookhaven, Chamblee, Tucker. If your office is accessible by MARTA consider Dunwoody/Sandy Springs. I did it for 5 years. Only 2-3 issues over that time. Saved both time and money.

> @jrthom21 said:

> Hi all, thanks for all of the information. We’ve narrowed our focus to the Crabapple/Alpharetta/Milton areas.

>

> Any recommendations on clubs in this area?

>

> Again, family friendly, well manicured course, fun MGA would be ideal.

1. Golf Club of Georgia

2. The Manor

3. White Columns

4. Brookfield CC

All 4 of these are in the area you have chosen to live. I grew up in the area, and belong to a few clubs here. Message me with questions about anything.

Top clubs in Atlanta. Most expensive/most exclusive - East Lake is only corporate now, I think there are a few individual memberships still.

1. Peachtree (absolutely number 1, no discussion)

2 - 5 in no particular order. Capital City, Ansley, Piedmont Driving Club, AAC

6 - 10 Cherokee, Druid Hills, Atlanta CC, Dunwoody,

Best Courses.... Atlanta CC, Ansley(Settindown), AAC(highlands),

> @GTgolf said:

> > @jrthom21 said:

> > Hi all, thanks for all of the information. We’ve narrowed our focus to the Crabapple/Alpharetta/Milton areas.

> >

> > Any recommendations on clubs in this area?

> >

> > Again, family friendly, well manicured course, fun MGA would be ideal.

>

>

> 1. Golf Club of Georgia

>

>

> 2. The Manor

>

>

> 3. White Columns

>

>

> 4. Brookfield CC

>

>

> All 4 of these are in the area you have chosen to live. I grew up in the area, and belong to a few clubs here. Message me with questions about anything.

>

In Milton, the Manor and White Columns. I have a friend at the Manor and play up there with him a fair amount and the group of guys he plays with. Good place, but he and his wife do not have kids so I know very little about it being family friendly. I will say I see a ton of kids out there at the pool and a fair amount I have seen at the range. I have only played White Columns once, but it was nice. I did not see many kids that day, but it was in the morning.

Crabapple area - Brookfield is a good choice, not a great course (not horrible either) and horrible range. However very family orientated. A bunch of folks in my area are members out here.

Alpharetta area - CC of Roswell, great conditions, bad range, ok layout very family orientated. CC of the South - I know very little other than my boss who is older and his wife are members, she is already retired. They both love it out there. I have heard great things about Horseshoe Bend, but I know zero first hand. I haven't played it in over 6 years.

Anywhere you join make sure to ask about kids and when they can play. Many private clubs in the northern burbs have restrictions on kid play in the morning on the weekends, with a minimum handicap for them to play before a certain time on the weekends, others don't care.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

For sure look at White Columns. Have not played in a long time but was our go to back in the day when it was a daily fee course. Then it went private then got bought by ClubCorp. Great "member course" by Fazio. Just a reminder that if you live in Milton/Crabapple and work in Midtown you are going to have a 60+ min commute on the regular.

> @driveandputtmachine said:

> Top clubs in Atlanta. Most expensive/most exclusive - East Lake is only corporate now, I think there are a few individual memberships still.

> 1. Peachtree (absolutely number 1, no discussion)

> 2 - 5 in no particular order. Capital City, Ansley, Piedmont Driving Club, AAC

> 6 - 10 Cherokee, Druid Hills, Atlanta CC, Dunwoody,

>

> Best Courses.... Atlanta CC, Ansley(Settindown), AAC(highlands),

> > @GTgolf said:

> > > @jrthom21 said:

> > > Hi all, thanks for all of the information. We’ve narrowed our focus to the Crabapple/Alpharetta/Milton areas.

> > >

> > > Any recommendations on clubs in this area?

> > >

> > > Again, family friendly, well manicured course, fun MGA would be ideal.

> >

> >

> > 1. Golf Club of Georgia

> >

> >

> > 2. The Manor

> >

> >

> > 3. White Columns

> >

> >

> > 4. Brookfield CC

> >

> >

> > All 4 of these are in the area you have chosen to live. I grew up in the area, and belong to a few clubs here. Message me with questions about anything.

> >

>

> In Milton, the Manor and White Columns. I have a friend at the Manor and play up there with him a fair amount and the group of guys he plays with. Good place, but he and his wife do not have kids so I know very little about it being family friendly. I will say I see a ton of kids out there at the pool and a fair amount I have seen at the range. I have only played White Columns once, but it was nice. I did not see many kids that day, but it was in the morning.

>

> Crabapple area - Brookfield is a good choice, not a great course (not horrible either) and horrible range. However very family orientated. A bunch of folks in my area are members out here.

>

> Alpharetta area - CC of Roswell, great conditions, bad range, ok layout very family orientated. CC of the South - I know very little other than my boss who is older and his wife are members, she is already retired. They both love it out there. I have heard great things about Horseshoe Bend, but I know zero first hand. I haven't played it in over 6 years.

>

> Anywhere you join make sure to ask about kids and when they can play. Many private clubs in the northern burbs have restrictions on kid play in the morning on the weekends, with a minimum handicap for them to play before a certain time on the weekends, others don't care.

FYI, East Lake has opened up individual memberships again. I think they are adding 30 new non-corporate memberships. Something in that ballpark, but I could be wrong on that exact number. Not that it will be cheap or attainable necessarily, but they are looking to diversify away from the corporate model. No idea on the number that they are asking for that membership level though.

> @maga_golfer said:

> > @driveandputtmachine said:

> > Top clubs in Atlanta. Most expensive/most exclusive - East Lake is only corporate now, I think there are a few individual memberships still.

> > 1. Peachtree (absolutely number 1, no discussion)

> > 2 - 5 in no particular order. Capital City, Ansley, Piedmont Driving Club, AAC

> > 6 - 10 Cherokee, Druid Hills, Atlanta CC, Dunwoody,

> >

> > Best Courses.... Atlanta CC, Ansley(Settindown), AAC(highlands),

> > > @GTgolf said:

> > > > @jrthom21 said:

> > > > Hi all, thanks for all of the information. We’ve narrowed our focus to the Crabapple/Alpharetta/Milton areas.

> > > >

> > > > Any recommendations on clubs in this area?

> > > >

> > > > Again, family friendly, well manicured course, fun MGA would be ideal.

> > >

> > >

> > > 1. Golf Club of Georgia

> > >

> > >

> > > 2. The Manor

> > >

> > >

> > > 3. White Columns

> > >

> > >

> > > 4. Brookfield CC

> > >

> > >

> > > All 4 of these are in the area you have chosen to live. I grew up in the area, and belong to a few clubs here. Message me with questions about anything.

> > >

> >

> > In Milton, the Manor and White Columns. I have a friend at the Manor and play up there with him a fair amount and the group of guys he plays with. Good place, but he and his wife do not have kids so I know very little about it being family friendly. I will say I see a ton of kids out there at the pool and a fair amount I have seen at the range. I have only played White Columns once, but it was nice. I did not see many kids that day, but it was in the morning.

> >

> > Crabapple area - Brookfield is a good choice, not a great course (not horrible either) and horrible range. However very family orientated. A bunch of folks in my area are members out here.

> >

> > Alpharetta area - CC of Roswell, great conditions, bad range, ok layout very family orientated. CC of the South - I know very little other than my boss who is older and his wife are members, she is already retired. They both love it out there. I have heard great things about Horseshoe Bend, but I know zero first hand. I haven't played it in over 6 years.

> >

> > Anywhere you join make sure to ask about kids and when they can play. Many private clubs in the northern burbs have restrictions on kid play in the morning on the weekends, with a minimum handicap for them to play before a certain time on the weekends, others don't care.

>

> FYI, East Lake has opened up individual memberships again. I think they are adding 30 new non-corporate memberships. Something in that ballpark, but I could be wrong on that exact number. Not that it will be cheap or attainable necessarily, but they are looking to diversify away from the corporate model. No idea on the number that they are asking for that membership level though.

super surprising that East Lake opened up individuals, but I imagine it is the upper echelon of Atlanta's richest that will be invited. I doubt there will be an open initiation, or if it is, it is soooo expensive that only the upper echelon could afford it anyway

> @driveandputtmachine said:

>

> In Milton, the Manor and White Columns. I have a friend at the Manor and play up there with him a fair amount and the group of guys he plays with. Good place, but he and his wife do not have kids so I know very little about it being family friendly. I will say I see a ton of kids out there at the pool and a fair amount I have seen at the range. I have only played White Columns once, but it was nice. I did not see many kids that day, but it was in the morning.

>

>

> Anywhere you join make sure to ask about kids and when they can play. Many private clubs in the northern burbs have restrictions on kid play in the morning on the weekends, with a minimum handicap for them to play before a certain time on the weekends, others don't care.

It has been a while since I was a member of The Manor but I would say it was very kid friendly then. The pool would be full of kids and on the weekend, the tennis courts were filled with kids playing tournaments and the parents watching. Also I would constantly see parents out on the course with their kids in the afternoon.

Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From a golf perspective, what you get in Atlanta is just a bunch of overpriced RTJ and Joe Lee designed tracks. Whatever, I can play RTJ courses on Alabama for $50.

Its really who has the biggest maintenance budget and what club can get you the connections you want.

Some clubs may be "exclusive" but its not because the golf course is world class.

No Raynors, Coore Crenshaws, D Ross, Strantz, P Dye, T Doaks.

My gripe for the day.

I get your point. But it’s a little bit of a strange gripe. Your right on with Joe Lee but the best course in the city is one hell of a good RTJ. I’m guessing you’re not counting East Lake as a Ross design and probably forgot that Dye designed Atlanta National, I try and forget that abomination as well. As for the rest of the architects you listed, they have combined for less than 75 golf courses world wide and there are 2 of them within 2 hours from Atlanta, that’s really not half bad.

I knew East Lake was a Ross design but it’s such a different type of club/membership than the rest of them. Those architects have not lended a lot of quantity but isn’t that why we pay big dues, rarity?

My bold take: any Atlanta golfer paying more than $50k initiation is being duped from a golf perspective. And it’s not their fault (maybe), Atlanta just never got the grace of the greatest architects. We’re a country club city not a golf course city.

• 1 year later...

Not to rehash this subject, because I think there is some good advice on here, but currently has anything changed with the golf clubs in the Atlanta with the covid situation?  I know in my area of Austin, initiation fees have skyrocketed and so have waiting lists?  I'm also looking at moving to Atlanta area, looking for an amazing club, practice facilities, clubhouse, etc.  Not a fan of the stuffy side, which unfortunately can accompany some of the best clubs.  Not tied down to an area, but do have 2 small children so schools important, not quite as important as the golf club.... you get it....   Druid Hills look's good, curious why it's not listed as one of ATL top clubs, at least not in my internet searches...

Golf is booming in Atlanta.  Privates are packed with waiting lists.  My club is currently sitting at a 5 year wait.  90+ on the waitlist.

Location is key for golf, so there are 3 main questions that need answers:

• Where will you work?
  • What is your budget?
  • Will your kids go to private or public schools?

On 8/13/2021 at 5:46 PM, jpatao said:

Not to rehash this subject, because I think there is some good advice on here, but currently has anything changed with the golf clubs in the Atlanta with the covid situation?  I know in my area of Austin, initiation fees have skyrocketed and so have waiting lists?  I'm also looking at moving to Atlanta area, looking for an amazing club, practice facilities, clubhouse, etc.  Not a fan of the stuffy side, which unfortunately can accompany some of the best clubs.  Not tied down to an area, but do have 2 small children so schools important, not quite as important as the golf club.... you get it....   Druid Hills look's good, curious why it's not listed as one of ATL top clubs, at least not in my internet searches...

Based on everything I have heard from my friends and myself that are members of clubs from the lower end to the upper end, every course has a waiting list right now.  I have not heard of a single decent course that does not have a waiting list.

Druid HIlls is nice, but it will never be on a top list of clubs in Atlanta.  With

1. Peachtree (without a doubt the top course in Atlanta, considered harder to get on than Augusta National by Golf Digest)

East Lake

Atlanta Athletic

Cherokee Town

Ansley

Atlanta CC

Capital City

PDC

Berkeley

Dunwoody

I personally rank all of these higher than Druid Hills.  Atlanta National(clubcorp) I view as a nicer club.  Less prestigious now that clubcorp owns them.  There are quite a few I view as similar stature to Druid.....Horseshoe, White Columns, Marietta Country Club, CC of the South.  Sure White Columns, Atlanta National, and CC of the South are clubcorp properties now and have lost some of their exclusiveness, but I hate stuffy Dbag people that think they are better than everyone else.   A whole lot of people in my first list think that they are better than, as does quite a few I have met from Druid.  There are good people at these clubs too, I know and work with quite a few of them, but all it takes is a day at the course and over hearing a few conversations to see a big chunk of these people.

People make the club a great club, not the clubhouse or course, or pool, or tennis courts.  Sure those things help, but if the club is full of douchey people it doesn't matter how good any of those other things are.