2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Axis 1 Rose Putter

RH82

Went to the PGASS with a few friends today and had to try this putter while there. After stroking a few with this and not liking it I handed it to my buddy with the words: " Try this; I hate it." He proceeded to put the best putting strokes I've ever seen him put on a ball ever and he was smitten. This putter didn't work for me but was the best putter for my friend he has ever put his hand on. Feel off the face was very nice and is a definite must try if you are a face balanced mallet type of player.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

> @burns9304 said:

> Went to the PGASS with a few friends today and had to try this putter while there. After stroking a few with this and not liking it I handed it to my buddy with the words: " Try this; I hate it." He proceeded to put the best putting strokes I've ever seen him put on a ball ever and he was smitten. This putter didn't work for me but was the best putter for my friend he has ever put his hand on. Feel off the face was very nice and is a definite must try if you are a face balanced mallet type of player.

Did he buy it?

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

> @5hort5tuff said:

> > @burns9304 said:

> > Went to the PGASS with a few friends today and had to try this putter while there. After stroking a few with this and not liking it I handed it to my buddy with the words: " Try this; I hate it." He proceeded to put the best putting strokes I've ever seen him put on a ball ever and he was smitten. This putter didn't work for me but was the best putter for my friend he has ever put his hand on. Feel off the face was very nice and is a definite must try if you are a face balanced mallet type of player.

>

> Did he buy it?

He did and I'm playing a round with him today after work

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

• 2 weeks later...

> @kkennedy said:

> Anybody else give this a go and have any thoughts?

Not the Rose putter, but I put an Axis 1 Joey in the bag almost 3 years ago and haven't even given it a thought of taking it out. I've always struggled with putting and have used broom stick, belly, counter balanced, regular length, short length ... everything. Closest thing to being comfortable was a TM Spider OG 36" counter balanced.

But the Axis putter was an IMMEDIATE "this feels better" moment. No question the technology is legit and can help decent putters become good and bad putters become decent. Certainly helped me.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

> @m_w said:

> Anyone here that used a Directed Force putter AND and Axis1?

Was messing around with both the other day. They’re different, but both solid. If you’ve got more arc in your stroke the DF will probably feel better to you. The Axis really doesn’t want to rotate. It’s also more compact and doesn’t look like a dustpan lol.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

> @PreppySlapCut said:

> > @m_w said:

> > Anyone here that used a Directed Force putter AND and Axis1?

>

> Was messing around with both the other day. They’re different, but both solid. If you’ve got more arc in your stroke the DF will probably feel better to you. The Axis really doesn’t want to rotate. It’s also more compact and doesn’t look like a dustpan lol.

hmmm this is making me want to try it...

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the Axis1 Joey C yesterday at the PGASS. Liked the Rose one, but I hit this model just the same and the price was $229. Practiced with it on the backyard green getting use to its alignment. Took it on the course for the first time this morning and sunk a 30 footer on the first hole. I called it the “please don’t return me to the store” shot. Best shot of the day but more importantly, I found the rest of long lag putts got me to an easy short second shot. That’s what I needed help with and at least for now am very happy with this technology. Not a fan of the grip and may change it in the future. If Cleveland can put nice thick grips on their $99 putters, surely Axis1 can do better than the ugly thin green ones they put on this model.

• 1 month later...

I've got one coming this week. Can't wait to try it out. Anyone else out there have extended reviews?

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

I met Phil in Irvine on a demo day. I was there to have my son in law get fitted for new clubs. While I waited I rolled a bunch with the Axis1 tour. I normally like face balanced putters and game a ping 5.

I can generally put with allot of putters but I knew this was different right away. Every put I made was dead straight. I holed out 25 footers or got close a bunch of times. The ball just wants to roll, not skip or go an off direction for me. I ended up buying a tour tuned version right out of Phil’s bag. PGASS didn’t have any in stock. I want to try the Rose version next. I’m selling al of my other putters...

Got my Rose yesterday. Threw a gravity grip on it today and I'll be playing all weekend. Will report back how it goes!

> @Tugu said:

> > @kkennedy said:

> > The technology in these putters is in the face right? Just wondering if I could switch out the grip if I were to buy one

>

> I could be wrong, but I believe the tech is in the way the shaft relates to the head inorder to promote certain torques.

>

> Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

>

>

This is how I understand it. No tech in the face, just a mulled face.

> @N2N2 said:

> Putters are obviously very personal. I've really enjoyed Edel putters and a few others over the years. There is no doubt confidence in what you look it and how you aim and line it up is very important, while being able to put your own consistent stroke on it hitting the center of putter face. All that said 3 rounds in, this Axis 1 Rose putter is likely the easiest putter I've had in getting a consistent stroke on the ball with. It feels good, lines up well for me and controlling speed is great. Hard to for me to think this technology, design whatever you want to call it doesn't make a difference. Lots of good putters out there. This is one of them for certain in my book.

Torque-balanced is like other golf technologies, for those who it helps it's an amazing innovation, for those it doesn't it's not a huge deal. For me I love any innovation that helps anyone enjoy the game more so I think these are amazing putters on that basis, they change the game for some people, and that's enough for me. I would love to test one of these. Axis putters are some of the beautiful I have ever seen, amazing gear we are privileged to have access to IMHO. Cheers. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dang I clicked on this thinking it was about an Axel Rose putter

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using mine for a few weeks now and I really am having a tough time getting used to it. Ball seems to roll well but the feel just isn't as solid as I was expecting IMO

> @m_w said:

> Anyone here that used a Directed Force putter AND the Axis1?

DF putter is my gamer. I tried all the Axis 1 putters at the PGA Superstore recently but none made it to the cash register. I wanted to like the Rose because of the way it looks but it never felt solid like the DF. Best feeling Axis 1 putter was the Tour for me.

I have 2 Axis 1 Rose putters w/ a stability shaft installed by breakthrough golf technology, and Sense R1 grip, I was a skeptic at first, but do love the putter, i had to add lead tape to back of the face (plastic fangs come off easily with an Allen wrench), and counterbalance, but for me, its a great putter, especially on putts under 10 feet. I’m not completely sold on the Sense grip, if anybody is looking for a RH Axis 1 Rose putter, I’m probably going to sell the one with the Sense grip kit on it, the other one I have a Garsen GC Quad grip on and that’s my gamer....

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

> @osubuckeyes691 said:

> I've been using mine for a few weeks now and I really am having a tough time getting used to it. Ball seems to roll well but the feel just isn't as solid as I was expecting IMO

Some putts with this putter have a real "clicky" feel to them, almost like the plastic wings are singing to me. I'm relatively sure this is a result of not quite hitting the middle but,,,,,,

This is the most Jekyll & Hyde putter I've tried. I hit all sorts of putters in the store. Ones I hit poorly I try again multiple times. Mostly they're always poor and I finally give up on them. Similarly, with the putters I putt well with, I almost always putt well with.

Then there's THIS one. One day great, one day poorly, seemingly nothing in between. Drives me a bit crazy(er ?) 'cause for some reason I want to love this putter.

I was in Phoenix last week and a store had a used one with a SuperStroke grip; the squarish one and just a step larger (1.0 ?) than their smallest. Putted very well with that a couple of different days. Maybe the grip ? ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 months later...

I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying out putters at my local PGA store. Everything there is extremely overpriced. Like this putter is. That being said, I tried most styles of most brands of putters there. I started with a putter that seemed to work for me as my 'current favorite' and kept comparing it to other putters until some other putter felt better. I'd then replace it with my new 'current favorite'. Round and round the brand-rows of putters I went trying and retrying and retrying putters over again. The Axis1 became my current favorite after about an hour in the store, and it stayed my favorite for an hour after that. It was still my favorite when I left the store. But I left the store without it. It ruined me for every other putter. But I couldn't spend 450 bucks on it.

I hate posting this because it may inspire others to buy that putter, and then Axis will decide that their putter is worth 450 bucks. And then I'll never buy it. It actually feels pretty close to me to my old Yes putter I'm still very happy with, except I've used it so long that it looks like it came out of Aleppo. It's on its third grip. And it has dings and little bit of rust in the creases. I think the Axis1 may be tiny slightly better for me than my old ugly Yes. It's definitely not $450 better. I have tons of confidence with my old Yes. It feels right to me. I'll have to rebuild my putter confidence when I buy any new putter. That $450 price point may work for folks who need a new putter. Or at least who definitely 'think' that they need a new putter. ;-) It doesn't work for us folks trying to tweak a tiny little bit more here and there. No one's ever laughed at my old ugly putter. Especially once they see the balls it rolls in my hands. I went there yesterday really because I wanted to try the Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer. I wanted to see if its reported enormous effective MOI was real or not. They did not have one in stock. Probably because of how cheap it is, compared to everything else.

• 3 months later...

Picked one up and it rolls where I aim it. Doesn’t feel good to me though. Feels cheap. Going to find something else when I return it. Although I tried the claw grip with it, why not, and I’ll be using my FGP mallet with stability in a claw grip until I find something else. Hope to try the Truss center shafted “7” today