The New Course, Castle, or Jubilee?

njlam ·  
njlamnjlam Members  905WRX Points: 61Posts: 905 Golden Tee

I am planning a first trip to Scotland and have been told to book a reservation at The Old Course, I must also book a round at one of the other nearby courses (The New Course, the Castle course or Jubilee).

Any ideas on which one of these to pick?

Would appreciate any/all opinions. \

We will also be playing Turnberry/Prestwick/Troon/North Berwick/Muirfield/The Old Course/Kingsbarn, so the pick isn't that important, but we do want to play something memorable.

Thanks

Posted:
Driver: Ping Rapture 12 w/MR Diamana BB R
Woods: Ping G25 4w & 7w w/MR Diamana BB R
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 25 w/MR Diamana BB R
Irons: Ping i200 5-U w/Project X 5.5 LZ
Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/DG S400
Putter: Ping Anser 2 BeCu w/Winn 1.32
Ball: Callaway Chromesoft Truvis

Comments

• jvincentjvincent Members  1503WRX Points: 775Posts: 1,503 Platinum Tees

Castle is probably the most memorable of the three. It doesn't get the love that the older courses (Old, New, Jubilee) do because it is a more modern design but I quite liked it.

Posted:

Cobra SZ 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra F9 Tour 4-5W : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 18* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sabramsabram Members  1615WRX Points: 221Posts: 1,615 Platinum Tees

I'm a fan of the New

Posted:
  • wazandnicwazandnic Members  55WRX Points: 78Posts: 55 Bunkers

I played Old, New and Castle courses last April.

Castle was a quality course with spectacular views and some great holes. A course you could play ever day quite easily... But in my opinion it is a modern day course. and could be on a coastline anywhere.

The New, running along side the Old would be my preference. Great old links course, on the same patch of land and close to all the history of the town.

With views across TOC and into the town sometimes you feel like you are on the old course!

Cheers,

Waz

Posted:
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors  4426WRX Points: 645Posts: 4,426 Titanium Tees

Another vote for the New.

Posted:
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG:
    Twitter:
    (still a huge club HO)
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members  652WRX Points: 172Posts: 652 Golden Tee

I would actually go for the Castle course, the 17th makes it worth it on its own, and the views are fantastic

I have played the new a few times now though and the castle only once, castle is just a little different

Posted:

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0* (Ventus Blue S)
    Taylormade M6 15* 3 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Taylormade M6 18* 5 wood (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)
    Adams DHY 21* & 24* (Aldila S )
    TI Taylormade RSI TP 5-PW (1.5* flat, 1 - 2* weak) (Pro Modus 130s)
    Taylormade MG black 52 (53) (2* flat, 1* weak) (DG S300)
    TI Taylormade MG Raw 58 LB (3* flat) (KBS S Taper 125)
    Taylormade Ghost Tour Corza putter

• az2auaz2au Members  2228WRX Points: 424Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,228 Platinum Tees

New is the best course. Castle has the best views. New would be my choice if I were only playing one but I’ve played both several times. For a person that is less likely to go back I’d probably recommend Castle unless you are a design nerd (like me).

Posted:

Advertisement
  • milesgilesmilesgiles milesgiles Members  532WRX Points: 203Handicap: 2.3Posts: 532 Golden Tee

Castle is in a different league really, easily top 100 uk. It’s coastal downland rather than links but superb, very tough greens.

Honestly I thought the jubilee was a better test than the new, more memorable holes.

Posted:
  • davep043davep043 Members  4964WRX Points: 2,177Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,964 Titanium Tees

I've played the New and the Jubilee. Both are really solid, and relatively similar in design and layout. The Jubilee has a few holes with really significant tall dunes, something that's not really present on the New. For that reason alone, I'd suggest the Jubilee. I've never played the Castle, but have heard that its a bit polarizing. Some like its location, views, and sometimes extreme greens, others don't.

I see you're playing the standard high-end Open Championship rota, which is absolutely great. But you could also consider substituting a few of the less famous courses, save a few pounds, and play alongside Scots instead of tourists for a day or two.

Posted:
    Post edited by davep043 on

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Members  1417WRX Points: 252Handicap: 0.0Posts: 1,417 Platinum Tees

Having played and been on all of them.....

The new and old course are very similar, if playing the Old, then I wouldn't recommend the new. I am not a huge fan of the Castle course and prefer the Jubilee. The Jubilee as stated just above has quite a few significant dunes on it and I think takes the cake.

However I will say the New Course I think is better than the Old Course, but for it's history, if you haven't played the old you have to play it.

Posted:
    Driver - Ping 400 MAX/ SIM
    Fairway - TM M 3HL 
    Irons - (4 -6) Cobra Speed Zone
    Irons (7-W) Cobra Forged Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland CB2 50* and 54*, Cobra MIM  60* at 58* and RTX-4 60* at 62*
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - Srixon Z Star
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees

As long as it's not the Castle. New/Jubilee is a toss up IMHO.

You've got all the big guns nailed down, so can you choose Eden course instead of New/Jubilee? It's got some mediocre ones around a marsh, but it also has some really cool holes and actually has the estuary in play for a bit unlike the others.

Great trip regardless. Have fun!

Posted:
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers  1592WRX Points: 550Posts: 1,592 Platinum Tees

I'll vote castle. Yes it is new and not historic. But I think it is worth it and a nice change of pace from 6 of the other 8. Obviously Kingsbarns is new as well, but they are totally different. You are playing plenty of the classics, the New Course isn't memorable like the castle course will be. It will be your eye candy course.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • HuskerFlyerHuskerFlyer Members  79WRX Points: 32Posts: 79 Fairways

I played Castle last year and loved it. The rest of my group had it ranked much lower. Reminded me of an American links course. It would fit in at Bandon.

Posted:
  • vtnerfvtnerf Members  8308WRX Points: 186Posts: 8,308 Titanium Tees

Jubilee is straight forward so no need for a caddie. And it's all right in front of you. I truly enjoy it, a lot.

Psst...also try to get to Kingsbarns!!!!! Worth every penny and minute. Promise.

Posted:
  • TerrapinGolferTerrapinGolfer Members  138WRX Points: 87Handicap: 14Posts: 138 Fairways

I played the Castle course and was not a fan so I would have to say play one of the other courses. It was too modern in design for my liking

Posted:
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  368WRX Points: 186Handicap: 3Posts: 368 Greens

I personally prefer The Castle over all the courses around St. Andrews. The similarity of The Old and The New when it comes to topography makes it a little redundant. That being said they are all good courses and even The Jubilee has some really good holes in the dunes but i still prefer the Castle. In fact I prefer The Castle over Kingsbarns, however, as mentioned the greens on The Castle are pretty severe, so keep that in mind. I would add one other option since you are playing the other Scottish courses in the Open rota. You are only a little over an hour drive to Carnoustie. If you don't mind the drive I would pick Carnousite over any of the other courses.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • davep043davep043 Members  4964WRX Points: 2,177Handicap: 6.3Posts: 4,964 Titanium Tees

In order to apply for advanced reservations on the Old Course, he's required to commit to play one of the other St Andrews courses, and pay for it in advance. Adding Carnoustie might mean adding another day, which certainly is never a bad idea.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers  368WRX Points: 186Handicap: 3Posts: 368 Greens

Is that a new requirement? When I went in 2018 and applied for an advanced time that was not required. Just asking because I am planning our 2022 trip for the Aberdeen area but wanted to squeeze in a round at The Old since some new guys going on that trip have not played it yet.

Posted:
    Evnroll TR8 33"

It was definitely a requirement when I planned trips in 2011 and 2012. In looking at the St Andrews website, it was a requirement for 2020, except in the Low Season (before March 31 or after November 1). I don't know if it applies to tour planners, who have their own sources for Old Course tee times.

Posted:

Ok thanks for the headsup. I won't be applying until August of 2021 but I will have to keep that in mind. Focus now is counting the days till our Ireland trip...

Posted:
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23449WRX Points: 7,405Posts: 23,449 Titanium Tees

I won a spot in the 2019 singles lottery, and the package included a round at TOC and Castle. There was no option to pick a 2nd course. I played TOC, Castle, Kingsbarns, New, and Jubilee. New and Jubilee were fine, but I should have arranged to spend the last day at Carnoustie.

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9904WRX Points: 1,142Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,904 Titanium Tees

If you applied as a single that is likely because there is no choice, you're getting the Castle Course (as Arg points out). So there wouldn't be any dropdown list to choose the 2nd one from.

If you're putting in an application for between 2-8 players you get the choice.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • buckIbuckI Members  482WRX Points: 64Handicap: 5Posts: 482 Greens

Applied this year and was selected. We are going in June. It gave me the option to select one of the other courses or leave it open to what was picked for us. Don’t remember the actual wording when filling out the request. In addition to our Old Course time we were given a time at Castle. I am actually looking forward to it given the views it is supposed to have.

We also have North Berwick, Muirfield, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns planned so a good mix of old and newer.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5* - Ping Tour 65
    Ping G 3 Wood 14.5* - Tour stiff
    Ping i15 20/23 - UST Axivcore stiff
    Ping I25 5-pw - CFS S Cushin +1/4
    Ping Glide 52/56/60 SS
    Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish
  • tw422tw422 Manhattan Beach, Ca.Members  339WRX Points: 74Posts: 339 Greens

here's my order...New Course, Jubilee and anything other than the Castle course. The greens were so tricked up (way too many undulations and hills in the greens) that it was borderline unplayable. Yes, beautiful setting and a beautiful course but that doesn't mean it was designed well. Make the trek over to Carnoustie and/or Kingsbarnes, you won't regret it. Or play Crail Golfing Society down the road (Balcomie and Craigshead courses are fantastic). The New Course is actually a really good golf course and I quite enjoyed the very "playable" Jubilee course (great warm up course). If I went back I wouldn't even consider the Castle course.

Posted:
  • MJBGolfMJBGolf Members  22WRX Points: 19Handicap: 1,3Posts: 22 Bunkers

New Course for all the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread. :-) Enjoy your Golf Journey, definitely a few ☑️ on the Bucket List. North Berwick is probably the sleeper amongst the courses you’re due to play, in my mind a genuinely good Golf Course! Fingers X:ed for good weather + 12-15 mph winds! ;-)

Posted:

Titleist 917D2 8,5 D4 44,5" Aldila Rogue Black 70X

Titleist 917F2 15 A1 42,5" Aldila Rogue Silver 70S

Titleist 917F2 18 D1 41,75" Aldila Rogue Silver 70S

Titleist 718 T-MB i2 Graphite Design Tour AD Di 95X

Titleist 718 T-MB i4 and i5 Nippon Modus3 130S

Titleist 716CB i6 - i9 Nippon Modus3 130S

Vokey SM6 46.08F, 52.12F, 58.10S Nippon Modus3 130S

Evnroll ER8 370g 33,5" (Cleaned Out - No Paint) White IOMIC Midsize grip

Titleist Pro V1x (2019)

Footjoy Pure Touch M/L

Footjoy Myjoys ICON or Footjoy Pro SL

Grips:: Woods: MCC Align Irons: MCC White

I just chuckled, North Berwick is the only course on the list that doesn't appear regularly on television. Of course its the sleeper. But I agree, its a wonderful course, just enough "quirk" to balance out the simply good holes.

Posted:

My wife shot a 73 in 25mph wins at the Castle Course. She is a .5 and great putter. She had no problems with the greens. They are tough, sure, they beat me up, but I am a trash putter. They aren't unfair like they were when first built. He is already playing 6 classic courses. He is looking for memorable, there is nothing memorable about the new course. It is a watered down version of the old course with no history. His line up is stacked, the only way he will remember this last course is if it is different and stands out in a big way. Castle course fits that.

Posted:

Advertisement

I look at North Berwick as one of the coolest and most unique golf experiences of my life. Absolutely love it.

Posted:

Fair enough however, I don't believe the Castle Course is more memorable than a course built in 1895 by Tom Morris that shares the same land as the most famous course in the world. I guess we differ in our thoughts and how we judge and what we consider to be memorable courses. That doesn't mean that your opinion on the Castle course being more memorable is wrong/right.

It sounds like they have changed/modified the greens in the last 10 years (when I was there in 2010)? If that's the case then maybe i would give it another chance.

Frankly, the OP asked for any/all opinions and i offered mine. Plain and simple I didn't like the course when I played it which could very well be outdated due to recent modifications of the greens. To me score and conditions are/were irrelevant. I broke 80 there too and still didn't care for it.

Therefore, I believe your opinion is just as valuable as mine. I love a good debate on golf courses and architecture and would welcome a spirited discussion over a beer or two..I offered that if he wants a more memorable experience to play Carnoustie as his last round. If I had to book 2 rounds on the St Andrews Links Trust courses I wouldn't include, based on my own experience, the Castle Course - that's all.

Posted:

I would never argue that the Castle Course is a better designed course. My opinion is it is more memorable, I look back on my trip and a lot of those holes stand out and provide great memories. Not so much the New Course. I wouldn't pick it over any of the other 7 courses he has listed, I am not sure I would need to even play it again. But for a first time and 1 time thing I'd play it. I love good architecture as well, and 100% get where you are coming from and it is valid. I also understand your criticism because I looked it up and those greens have been remodeled/flatted 3 or 4 times since being built, so it really was a different course 10 years ago, I can only imagine what they were like when you played..😳

It comes down to what the OP considers memorable.

Posted:

Advertisement

That's really interesting - so the greens were remodeled? If so, I would definitely give it another chance. No doubt, and the more I think about it, you're right, it definitely is more memorable than the New Course. It has great views and aesthetics were incredible (very cool clubhouse included). We were probably more on the same page than we realized! :<)

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.