2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Getting into tournament golf as an adult amateur?

I’m on my third summer of playing 2 amateur tournaments per year. As a 2.1 index I’m far from competing for 1st, but I’ve met some really cool guys and have enjoyed every good and bad shot. My first competitive round I had a tough time placing the ball on the tee I was so nervous. Then you realize it’s just a round of golf. Biggest thing for me was remembering what the actual rules of golf are. Like what were your options for an unplayable ball etc. Pick a tournament, sign up and go enjoy yourself!

i started my foray into competitive golf at the age of 29...i'm 33 now. the more and more you play the more and more comfortable you get with the conditions and the environment. go for it!

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Go for it. It's a whole different kind of golf that 98% of people will never experience. Just keep your expectations in check, try to have fun, and learn!

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

• 1 month later...

It all depends where you live. Most Golf Associations (Carolinas Golf Assn, Virginia State, Met, GAP, etc) have one day tournaments that are something of a cross between a tournament and a casual round. Just a chance to play a new course, hit some shots that matter, and have some fun. Most of these also have four-ball (partners) events that are one-day events. Those further reduce the stress of play. If you find that fun, can always move up to state championship qualifying (State Am, Mid Am, Public Links in the few places where that's still a thing, and so forth).

• 5 months later...

I took this road about 9 years ago at age 41. Started playing on the Golfweek Am tour and now have moved onto the Golfweek Senior Tour. Also play some state tourneys. My experience has been great, love the competition and it has improved my game tremendously. One day tournaments except for 4 major 2 days. As long as you are competing against golfers of your own skill level I think you will enjoy it. Good luck.

I just registered for the Washington State Am qualifier as a 34 yo. I used to play competitively, but kids came and that was the end of that! Now they're a little older, it's easier for me to get out and put some actual practice in. I'm super pumped! My advice having gone through adult competitive golf is, HAVE FUN. If you get worked up about a bad hole, you're doing yourself a disservice. Have a good time, make a few putts, and learn from every round!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

Played my first tourney at age 52, after years of being a rec golfer with an iffy back. After my oldest son graduated from high school golf and started playing some local am's with me on the bag, I quickly realized that I would be competitive in the net senior divisions.

All I can say is that tourney golf has taken the game to a new, deeper level for me and it's fun getting in the money every once in a while. Do it, you'll be a better person and player as a result, learn the rules and firm up etiquettes and go have fun.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

• 5 months later...

That's awesome! How is your season going? Mine could've been better so far...I started golf late in life around collage age and my first tournament was in 2006 or so. I've had some (limited) success qualifying for state and county final events. It is still a work in progress, but every year I feel excited about the next. One step at a time...I'll be eligible for "pre-senior" in about 4 years lol!

thanks for bumping this thread. i know i'm not the person you were responding to. weird work stuff and covid threw a serious wrench into my plans to play amateur tournament golf this year. i'm champing at the bit so hard and really want to compete. i hope to god my luck changes soon so i can get out there and compete. in the meantime, i'm more than happy to hear about others' successes. stoke that fire!!

I found the Golfweek Amateur Tour about 2 months ago. I debated joining because I’ve never played competitive golf. Having just turned 40, I also realized my hockey playing days are quickly coming to an end and I need something to fill that competitive space. This tour is perfect! My first tournament I shot by far my worst round in a long time. 4 foot putts are a lot different there than when you’re golfing/drinking with the boys. It lit that fire to hit the range and putting green. My second tournament, I gave the wife the link to the live scoreboard. Getting the text that I’m tied for first at the turn was awesome. Sure I blew it with a bad stretch 14-16 and I finished in 5th, but I can’t wait for the next tournament.

Long story short, find a tournament that groups you by your level and do it! You’ll have a great time.

• 6 months later...
On 8/10/2020 at 12:50 AM, hoselpalooza said:

thanks for bumping this thread. i know i'm not the person you were responding to. weird work stuff and covid threw a serious wrench into my plans to play amateur tournament golf this year. i'm champing at the bit so hard and really want to compete. i hope to god my luck changes soon so i can get out there and compete. in the meantime, i'm more than happy to hear about others' successes. stoke that fire!!

Did you enter anything last year?  Hopefully still burning the flame to get after it this year - spring is in sight.  Just have to hang in there (this is what I'm telling myself anyway!)

On 8/10/2020 at 11:24 AM, Guest said:

I found the Golfweek Amateur Tour about 2 months ago. I debated joining because I’ve never played competitive golf. Having just turned 40, I also realized my hockey playing days are quickly coming to an end and I need something to fill that competitive space. This tour is perfect! My first tournament I shot by far my worst round in a long time. 4 foot putts are a lot different there than when you’re golfing/drinking with the boys. It lit that fire to hit the range and putting green. My second tournament, I gave the wife the link to the live scoreboard. Getting the text that I’m tied for first at the turn was aweAsome. Sure I blew it with a bad stretch 14-16 and I finished in 5th, but I can’t wait for the next tournament.

Long story short, find a tournament that groups you by your level and do it! You’ll have a great time.

A text from my wife during any round can mess me up so I try to keep the phone out of sight for every round, but now with e-scoring that doesn't seem possible.  Sounds like you'll be hooked for this year as well.  Golfweek AM Tour looks interesting - thanks for sharing.  It doesn't look like the events draw a ton of people in the championship flight.  I'm curious to know how pace of play was especially if grouped in foursomes.  I'm still interested - good way to play new courses and network with fellow golfers.  Good luck!

11 minutes ago, fastswinger said:

Did you enter anything last year?  Hopefully still burning the flame to get after it this year - spring is in sight.  Just have to hang in there (this is what I'm telling myself anyway!)

absolutely still burning the flame to get after it this year! 🔥🔥🔥

covid screwed up 2020 for me and i only played 3 rounds, none competitive. fortunately, i kept my swing and short game reasonably intact and have been practicing with purpose for the past couple of months to get ready for this season. posting season in CO starts march 15th and i plan to be firing on all cylinders before then.

haven't put together a golf calendar but perhaps now is the right time to figure that out. thanks for giving me an excuse 🙂

what about you? how did your 2020 go? plans for 2021?

6 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

absolutely still burning the flame to get after it this year! 🔥🔥🔥

covid screwed up 2020 for me and i only played 3 rounds, none competitive. fortunately, i kept my swing and short game reasonably intact and have been practicing with purpose for the past couple of months to get ready for this season. posting season in CO starts march 15th and i plan to be firing on all cylinders before then.

haven't put together a golf calendar but perhaps now is the right time to figure that out. thanks for giving me an excuse 🙂

what about you? how did your 2020 go? plans for 2021?

Covid messed us all up unfortunately - some more than others.  I'm sorry you didn't get out more.  Thankfully I was still able to play a decent amount.  I'm in NJ and the local golf associations did a good job trying to salvage and assemble a schedule after everything went out the window early in the year.  I played four events and didn't make a single cut.  I played well enough but didn't score well at times and/or missed a shot here and there to put me behind the eight ball.  Reflecting on the year (and what stats I recorded) I need to focus on fairways.    IF I hit the fairway I'm more than twice as likely to hit a GIR.  

This year I'm going to be consistent with my bag and stop messing with things (like changing putters, driver shafts, ball. etc).  I felt like I switched at least one thing every time out - or it felt like that. 

As for events will do the usual; state am, pub links, mid am, fourball and possibly the state open (never tried before) 🔥

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 5:40 PM, hoselpalooza said:

anyone have inspiring stories or general tips they could share for getting into tournament golf as an adult amateur?

next year i'd like to enter some local tourneys and in the meantime i'd enjoy reading about others who've gone from casual duffer to competitive golfer.

thanks!

You should totally do it.  Playing in a scratch tournament that is run by a golf association from local to state to USGA is a strange and wonderful world.  The nerves and pressure can be intense, but addicting.  It is not that different from the feeling of being on a first date where you want something to go well so badly and you are more in the moment than you are for almost anything else in life.  It is a feeling that doesn't come along much in married adulthood and I was shocked by how much I missed it.  I was also shocked by how terrible my lows and how glorious my highs were.  A bad round is the loneliest four hours you'll ever spend, but the satisfaction that comes with finally posting a round that was better than you had hoped for is worth it in the end.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX