Maltby TS2

Popeye64

All great information here and thank you to all. Im interested in a new set of irons and have been looking at JPX, HMB, P790, AP3 etc.... so this might be a great alternative. That said, for those that play the TS2 [@Popeye64] have you noticed any type of loft creep with these heads? I don't want to have to be checking them all the time.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

I assume by loft creep are you asking if they are bending through normal play and getting stronger in loft? I have not seen any of the irons creating bigger gaps as I have played them. The body of these irons are not overly soft, just the faces are. With that said I have not had them on my loft lie machine to check.

@Popeye64 - thanks for the quick response. Yes, that is what I was referring to.

PXG 0317 X

@Sons_of_Pitches I just got back to work but when I get home in a 12 days I'll run them through and check lofts. Both of the TS series seem to have a tough or harder finish. I hardly notice any bag chatter on either the 1 or 2. Of the two the TS-2 have a softer feeling face and feel much better on an off center hit. Tje TS-1s will talk yo you a bit.

7 iron - 6 grams of tape

VT4GPJSNEOW4.jpeg4 iron - 4 grams

I13KAWL3L8PW.jpegPW - 6 grams

AF65Z1WQZK2U.jpegI felt my clubs were too light and I couldn’t feel the club head. I added 3 grams to each club and it felt better, but not quite right. I added more lead tape till I got the feel I wanted and WOW! I thought they were good before but now they are amazing!!!!!

• Like 1

@Popeye64 - Thanks. One more question for you. Have you experienced many fliers with the TS2 having the polymer injection? I have seen a few comments with the P790's that are also injected that have stated they have experienced an abnormal amount of fliers.

PXG 0317 X

@Golf4lifer - what's the swingweight before and after you added the lead tape?

PXG 0317 X

I don't know what they were previous to me adding lead tape or now as I never had them measured. I typically just play around with lead tape to get the feel that I want out of the club. Now I did enter my specs into a swingweight calculator on the internet and they came back between d5 and d7 now and they were d2 - d3 previously.

Also wanted to post a quick update.

got the set last week and got one round in (4-7ts2, 8-g ts1)

all cut 1/2” short and lie angles adjusted 2* flat.

shot my second best round since coming back to game in august. Could really tell the difference in forgiveness on the 3 bad swings i made which all resulted in playable balls.

the 2* flat is a real problem, so getting them moved back to standard, as every ball was pushing/push fading/ push slicing (brought a couple if my mike blades for comparison and was hitting them like gold)

overall, after one initial round, SO HAPPY with them. Cant wait to get lie’s adjusted, and may have to replace the shafts on the P-G as they are a bit short. But they did fly just as far. A bit harsher on feel than the nike blades (the ts1’s) but that may be the grips, or the contact, will have to suspend that judgement. The ts2’s were softer in my mind and the thick topline wasnt bad for me. But i recently just learned it aint that big if deal to me as after looking at callaway rogue irons compared to my nike’s i didnt see anything that would prevent me from playing them. The TS2 does have a thick one tho, but its an attractive thick.

will give a better review when i get the lie’s adjusted, and get a few rounds under the belt.

the ts2’s actually look surprisingly good in the bag though...

@golf4life21 and @Popeye64 thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to build a couple of these TS2's and see how they work out. I think I am going to first start this experiment with a 6i and GW build with the DG 105 .370 in a S300 flex or Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 .370. This will be my first component build so wish me luck. :)

PXG 0317 X

For anyone considering taking the plunge - Want to continue to update my experience with these clubs: to Recap; just got back in the game (~6 months ago), was a 12 HCP, probably playing to about a 20 right now, decided to give up my nike vr pro combo's from 2011 - was between TS1/2 combo, Srixon z745/765/795, TM P790/760, JPX 919's hot or tour + open to other options - Took the plunge with the ts1/2 combo's based on the recommendations here:

2 rounds in: HOLY CRAP these things are amazing. They look so much better in person, they feel so much better than I imagined (swing weight) though that may be the project x 6.0 shafts and they SOUND soo good. But above all THEY PERFORM

I posted this section in another thread but it bears repeating -

"SOOOOOO IN LOVE, I have never played a round where so many shots did what they felt like they should. A bad swing is a bad swing, but these things just flat felt 'natural'. It's like when your buying a new car, and your test driving and everything you try is "good" but just doesn't quite feel right. Then, you get in one and when you hit the gas, the car accelerates exactly as you intended it too, you turn the wheel and there is just enough resistance, it feels like you imagine it's supposed too, not too much "electronic driver assist" and not too "stiff". the car just performs as you expect it too...that's what these clubs do with your swing. I've never seen it before consistently. Yes it's early, but I tell you, on that round I could have told you what each shot did if you blind folded me. I have never been able to do that consistently over a course of 18 holes. Either the biggest coincidence in history, or something that is going to continue. If I was reading this, I would say, "bro, that's all fine and good, but it's clear your in the honeymoon phase"...possible, and I may sour over time as my golf game gets exposed, but I can tell you, I will certainly NOT be blaming the clubs and can certainly tell you I won't be saying "**** it, I should have bought that used set of srixon's"...I may say that cause I want to try the srixon's just to try them, but certainly not on looks/feel/value/performance/quality"

I can also tell you without a shadow of a doubt, that Popeye64 has NAILED IT on his review. I always had tremendous respect for his opinion, but I also believe we all have bias and it's clear that he loves maltby stuff, so I wasn't completely all-in on his take. But he is dead on the money. So if you've followed this thread, everything he's said is absolutely true. From the topline disappearing after one round (half a round) to the thought that really a full set of TS2's may be the preference (shout out to DFINCH). Dead on the money. The only thing I would add is that the TS2's actually look pretty darn good in the bag, was not ready for that...and I agree with him the TS2 is actually a little softer feeling/soundiing than the TS1. TS1's are great, so I'm not complaining, but I am surprised...

for what it's worth, if you pull the trigger, you will not be able to blame the clubs for poor performance.

• Like 1

Good write up and yes I have been a big fan of Maltby gear for a long time but for good reason.
From having spent so much time with these TS-1/2 irons I have to say that the biggest difference between the two irons is that the TS-1s need to be played on the aggressive side. Usually most golfers who need help with a game improvement iron tend to not swing with a true acceleration through the ball. They tend to guide the head rather than let it RIP. It can be very hard to get that into your game while staying in control. A better player really moves through the ball well. So a less forgiving iron will perform as it should when played with that aggressive move. That's when you get that amazing feel and why people love a forged iron. Getting lazy with that type of club, it just doesnt feel right and the ball performance shows. The TS-2s will allow room for that sort of lazy swing. Give that swing with the TS-1s and it doesnt feel as good as the 2, yet will still give you good results. Get aggressive and the TS-1s feel great just as they should. Play aggressively with the TS-2s and its like a magic iron. Just not as sexy looking as the blade like TS-1s. Hope that babble makes sense. @DarthFader17 good luck with them this season.

+1 They look so much better in person. :) --- So, I finally got around to building a 6i for testing and I ended up deciding on the TS2 with Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 .370 Stiff shaft. Epoxy is still drying but it's a really good looking club. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to hit it before I head out f town for a week. :(. However, I am really looking forward to taking this thing for a spin when I get back.

PXG 0317 X

+1 Yes, they do look much better in person. I finally got around to building a 6i today with the Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 .370 Stiff shaft. Unfortunately, I am headed out of town for a week and won't be able to hit it until I get back. :(. But she does look gorgeous. Can't wait to see how she feels.

PXG 0317 X