Bridgestone Golf Tour B 2020 Lineup

mikeabate18

I did a blind test with the 18’ versus the 20’, putting indoors and out. I’m not seeing much of a difference in sound or feel.

Same with shots on the course. But it’s cold and our greens are winterized.

I’m a huge BX fan, it’s all I’ve played for the last year. The jury is still out for me whether it’s a better ball or not but I think it’s pretty difficult top the 18’. I never had an issue with its durability, spin or feel.

I doubt you will see much difference other than possibly feel. Even if Bridgestone is exactly correct in their claims, we're only talking about 1.5MPH ball speed off the driver and 300-500RPM of greenside spin. With improvements that small it's going to take a ton of shots and a launch monitor to really tell the difference.

Balls do know how you hit them. That’s why they have multiple layers and levels of firmness that react differently to varying impacts. You are kind of contradicting yourself by saying the X starts to separate itself on ball speed at the 120 mph threshold, but don’t acknowledge that a softer more compliant ball might have a little more pop on missed (low speed, low efficiency) shots?

Bridgestone themselves has even said the 105 SS threshold goes out the window for good ball strikers because a good ball striker swinging at 100 mph activates the BC and BXS balls just fine.

• Like 1
ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Anybody grab a screen shot of the $33 price they could send me?

Driver: PXG Black Ops 8 degree w/Ventus Black 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Scratch wedge 53 degree, Cleveland RTX Zip Core 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Odyssey Cruiser Jailbird
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX

I’ve played the ‘17 and then ‘19 TP5x for the previous 2 seasons, and it’s downright comical how much more durable the Tour BX is. This ball is so good. I played in a 20 mph wind yesterday and this ball performed just as well as the TP5x in those conditions. That was my last basis that I wanted to cover, but now I’m all in. This is definitely my ball for 2020.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

You're falling for marketing. A high spin ball will be a high spin ball for all swing speeds. A low spin ball will be a low spin ball for all swing speeds. A fast ball for high swing speed players will be a fast ball for slow swing speed players. Bridgestone uses the 105 MPH as a proxy for skill because they believe (and probably rightly so) that a lower skilled golfer will be helped more by low spin off irons than a high skilled player.

There may be some marketing involved but I 100% disagree that a ball will behave/perform/react the same across all swing speeds. A characteristic of a ball that makes it perform a certain way to a certain swing speed may very well have the opposite result to a different swing speed and pretty sure it's been widely tested/proven from a lot of people that have no skin in the game as far as sales and marketing of a particular ball.

• Like 1

Stay Tuned...

It hasn't been proven. The opposite has in fact been proven. If you stop and think about it it makes sense. If you put a spray chart of the club head speed of every shot a tour pro takes in a round vs most amateurs, they would look more alike than you think. On putts, chips, and pitches the'll be mostly the same. On bunker shots they'll be basically the same. On most shots within 100 yards they'll be the same. Where the differences in swing speed exist it's mostly going to be mid to long irons, driver, and fairway/hybrids and that's where balls usually have the least amount of difference.

When you have to design a ball to react on everything from a chip or putt up to a 120MPH driver swing, there isn't that much you can do to optimize it for a certain swing speed. You can firm the ball up so a high swing speed player doesn't lose ball speed (but this won't slow it down for a low speed player, just make if feel harder). But making a ball firmer also increases spin, and most high swing speed players don't need more spin. You can make the cover a little harder, but then you take away short game spin, especially on finesse shots. You can soften a ball to make it spin less, but then the high speed player will lose ball speed.

If every shot was hit with the same club head speed, they could probably design balls to maximize that speed, but since there is a great variety, balls don't really act different based on club head speed. The only really thing that club head speed affects is ball speed. As your club head speed goes up, you need a firmer ball to maximize ball speed. However, the inverse is not true. A softer ball never gives more ball speed (at least above 80MPH driver swings).

Unfortunately you get killed when you speak the truth.

I also love when people talk about playing in the wind......when you hit a ball 100-130 feet in the air, there is ALWAYS wind, most likely 12-15 mph......so the thought of people thinking there is not significant wind on most shots is just wrong....so i agree with the less spin statement as well

• Like 1

Not at all the same ball. The '20 doesn't feel the same and does not perform the same off the tee for me. Loved the '19 because it was so straight with the longer clubs and had good feedback. The '20 is noticeably softer and for me is not nearly as long or straight. Major bummer as the driver/wood performance was a big reason I switched to the Tour BX last year. In my testing so far this year, if you're looking for a ball that has similar long game performance and is softer around the greens than the '19 BX the newest ProVx will fit the bill.

The good news is the 2019 BX is on sale everywhere now and I can stock up.

• Like 1
Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I used to play the B330s and loved it. I liked it better than the Tour B X, but eventually ran out of the B330s and moved on to the Tour B X. I found it to be long off the tee and good (but not great) off the irons. Then for some reason I decided to pick up a dozen RXS (2019). Wow was this a great ball for me! It was pretty much the same off the driver, but my iron play went crazy. The ball would just jump up in the air, and fly a good 6-7 yards longer. I've been working on getting into a better position at impact, and that certainly played a role, but my iron distance and accuracy with this ball was insane. I went back and played the Tour B X for comparison, and there is no question that for me most of the improved iron distance and trajectory has been due to the RXS. Some of the shots I have hit with the RXS have just made me giddy. I do have to say that on really fast firm greens (stimp 12+) I have to allow for some roll out.

This weekend I tried the 2020 RXS. I couldn't really tell much difference over the 2019. However there two shots during the round where I thought the ball might not get to the hole, or stop if it did, and both ended up inside 15 feet. That got my attention.

I have to admit that while I do closely observe ball flight, I don't obsess over launch monitor data. I see what works for me and go with it. I don't find balls too hard or too soft or too clicky, and honestly some of the discussions here seem kinda...well...we're not pros. We're just guys who hack it around, right? ;-)

• Like 2

I’ve played two rounds alternating between both and for me this is what I’ve seen: BX launches noticeable higher on all clubs. Though at first it was only with the driver but irons Launch higher as well. Definitely a difference in feel. BX is much more firm but still fella good, XS is softer obviously. I like the feel of the BX personally. The softer ball just doesn’t seem to explode off of the face like the BX does, especially with the driver. XS does spin more I’d say from 30yds in but the BX spins plenty, which is a marked improvement over the ‘19 BX for me. XS is obviously softer off of the putter face and for me cause an issue with distance control.

For me the BX is the clear winner. My findings were similar to TXG’s it spins enough around the greens and the distance off of the tee is noticeably more and there’s no reason to sacrifice that to me since it spins around the greens. The XS also does seem to spin more off of the driver. It was very windy today and drives with the XS seem to be effected more whether it was a cross wind or into.

Stay Tuned...

It’s my observation from having played 36 holes in variable conditions and alternating the new ball against the old ball and the 2019/2020 ProV1x and hitting multiple balls on almost every hole.

The 2019 B XS was softer off the driver and shorter for me than the 2019 B X. Tiger Woods made the B XS work just fine, but he is a professional golfer so that would not be a very good benchmark for me. Or any amateur.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

If I recall Tiger has always played the softer version of whichever model he has played. For him I think it’s easier to cut spin then it is to add it because he hits it so solid. I honestly think that’s why most amateurs see more of a difference with the driver because the off center hits or exaggerated more with a spinnier ball. Whereas he is more often than not hitting it in the center of the club please so spin is not an issue for him it’s more one of feel. I think also his feel was developed and honed using wound balls of the past so the softness is just something he is used to. I do think however most amateurs could benefit from Morse been around the greens, that’s where it gets tricky. At the end of the day what is going to mean more to your scores a few extra yards off of the tee or more control around?

Stay Tuned...

I spent about 45 minutes today at our short game area assessing the spin performance of a couple of flavors of the Bridgestone Bs. Using my LW, I hit a group of balls that included the '19 Tour B X, the 19 & 20 RXS, a Pro V1x and a TP5x. I hit all kinds of spinning ships and all the balls did pretty well. The B X spun marginally more than the others (with the Pro V right behind). The RXS' ran out slightly more--perhaps a foot on the typical chip. I saw no difference whatsoever between the '19 RXS and the '20 RXS. Next time I'm on the course, I'll compare the '19 BX to the '20 RXS and see how things shake out IRL.