15-17* driving irons? and help sorting bag

extrastiff

Should i try a 15-17 degree driving iron (i like the look of the g410 crossover)? Any successful experience with that loft on an iron would be awesome to hear about. 115+ driver SS for reference, lmk if any other info would be helpful.

The rest of this post is just some back-ground fluff, feel free to skip it if you just want.

I am obviously a fan of cameron champs ability to go with his occasional/new driver and irons only setup. I was just a fanboy, but my ability to crank a driving/long iron has always been subpar, and my cap reflected that, so i never tried it. After some swing, mental, and physical changes the last couple weeks, Im hitting throughout the bag really solid. i was already down to one fairway cause they go long and high and i might as well hit driver at that point. Now, I can get my 19* iron pretty far out there, I can hit it off deck, and there is only a small gap that my fairway wood is practically covering anymore (on windy days. I do not carry "2" iron on nice days, I go with some other combo of 3 and 4 irons, all of which carry short of the "2" iron. So the fairway wood covers a bit more of an effective gap on nice days).

Ive been getting access to some nicer courses, and aspire to play even nicer/longer ones. As of right now though, I don't hit fairway wood very often. Grabbing another driving iron and trying to go fairwaywood-free sounds pretty nice. I have not hit anything lower than 19*, but now my graphite shaft 2 iron (790 "3" iron) is noodling on me, so time to mess with all that anyways.

Should i just remain over-kill at the top end of the bag with lots of gap overlap between driver/fairway/Driving iron? I could stay in practice with all clubs for when i hopefully make my way to longer courses. Or should i try an iron that covers the fairway wood spot completely?

I have lots and lots to do if i ever wanna hit cameron champ numbers while keeping it in play, but do you think you would experiment with irons-only if you were in his position?

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I have that exact club. The 17 degree and I love it. My clubhead speed is pretty slow so I probably should not be playing it but I wanted something that I could hit very low and it would run on the dry NC fairways. It id doing exactly that. Pretty forgiving as well. I will hit if fat from time to time but it is more point and shoot then my 3W

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Ive tested a number of driving irons and to be honest struggled with most of them, they go right on me, which I suspect is because I dont create enough spin to get the ball flight I want and since the loft if quite low and cg far forward I dont get any help with launch and direction from that either. But the G410 is another animal. I tried it just for fun and now its in my bag. Using the stock shaft as well which might not be the best feeling shaft Ive ever games but produces a nice medium to high flight for me. My ss is around 100+ with driver just for reference so not a fast swinger, and my transition is smooth so not the typical player one would think would use a driving iron over a hybrid, but Ive never been a fan of hybrids since i Love the control an iron gives you. I have the 20 degree but thinking about adding the 23 degree as well. Now I can hit those lower draws that Ive only been dreaming of before. After I bought it I also demoed the Cobra Utility with the graphite shaft standard option and thats also a good club and very easy to hit, but I feel the G410 is more versatile. Oh, I almost forgot= ITS LONG!!

I DO  love my fw (Ping G410 17.5) though so would not replace that with an iron since its soo easy to hit. Playing a shorter shaft if you havent tried that in a fw it might be something you should consider!!

nice to hear.

choking down on my fairway is fine, lowers the flight. but its not like the wood is an issue to hit, its just a bit redundant. And the hypothetical is to imagine you are cameron champ, so irons and woods are theoretically all easy to hit.. you wouldnt try irons only :)?

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I have done a lot of experimenting in this area and have come to these conclusions (for me).

The very first thing you have to establish is what a low lofted driving iron does for you that a fairway doesn't. For me personally it is a dispersion and a trajectory thing; most low lofted DI's are pretty anti-left for me and due to their construction and shorter length are more accurate on average. They are however, as most will agree, less versatile off the deck, but that only matters to me in limited circumstances. So when I am weighing the options in my head, I am looking at course layout and conditions. If it is howling wind, 2-iron goes in the bag straight away. If it is a tight course that favors a fade, same thing. Most of the time though I stick to my setup below.

If you want to ditch the fairway woods all together then I definitely recommend spending some good time with the iron set to take the spot, it will probably be the most demanding club in the bag. The G410 Crossover is no joke, that thing is LONG. But it is always pretty unforgiving and from a feel standpoint I would likely have to load it up with some hotmelt to enjoy it, even with a graphite shaft. It is a pretty firm, clicky club overall that demands a good strike, otherwise you're losing way too much over a 3/4 wood.

Spend the time, maybe pick up used so you can resell, and make sure its actually worth the shift. Champ takes this approach because of his insane club head speed, so what works for him is not very likely to work for us.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I definitely would be lead taping/hotmelting, and can get ss to average pretty high without loosing too much accuracy, but that’s interesting that you find it less forgiving to that degree...

how would u compare it to a p790 3 iron for example? With lead tape, I’m happy with performance/ballspeed on mis-hits on that club (with steel shaft). The crossover appeals because of the bigger face, and the assumption it should then be more forgiving than any iron I have hit (which is good enough for me to want to give it a try).

I have not hit it against a P790 3i but I have hit the 17* G410 against the new P790 2i. They were neck and neck when hit flush (very long) but the mishits fell off in terms of distance a lot quicker with the G410 in addition to feeling much more harsh. I suspect that the P790 has a lower CG and higher MOI overall. The G410 is likely just a tweaked DI version of an i500 which is a VERY high CG head. The Crossover does have that big tungsten chunk down in the bottom of the toe which certainly helps, and hot melting would definitely help with both feel and could lower the CG is you use enough, but to what degree i'm not sure. Neither of these clubs were built to my preferred spec so this is just initial impressions.

I don't like that hot melt is not really an option for the P790 and the proper tweaking with it in the Crossover could even the two out, but i'm not sure.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Bridgestone 

Thoughts on bending 3 iron 790 (2017) to 17 degrees?

I couldn’t find the bounce in a quick search, but if it follows the TI version it probably has 1-2* of bounce. Bending it 2-3* strong could result in a leading edge that wants to catch/dig into the turf.

I have similar club head speed and have been happy with the UDI 2* (17*) with stock HZRDUS Smoke 100x. I play a strong 3 wood (2W/13*) and start my irons at the 4i/22*.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

thanks!

After today, I’m convinced I’m gonna drop the fairway wood and find an iron I like. I really don’t need a club that can go 300 beside driver, and everything else is covered. I think driving iron has to be getting over 110 now but gonna check tomorrow on gcquad, have not checked numbers since changes

I probably don’t really care about the digging do I? What the club does after the ball is gone doesn’t bother me much I don’t thibk

I have around the same numbers 115+ driver SSand I wasn’t carrying a 3 wood, only a Callaway Apex 2hybrid, but also a Titleist 716 T-MB 2 iron (17 degrees loft) the gap is bigger than I’d like between my driver and 2hybrid, but I hit the ball long enough to not be concerned with it, plus my 3 wood is not much more accurate than my driver, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just felt like the 2 hybrid went long enough, and still found the fairway much more than the 3 wood. I find the hybrid is hard to flight low, whereas I can flight and shape the ball easily with the 2 iron with not much of a gap between the 2 hybrid and 2 iron. Since I have older blades (Mizuno MP-67’s 2005?) they aren’t strong lofted like modern clubs, and that created a huge gap for me up top. Now that I am looking to purchase a set of Mizuno MP 20 HMB’s the 3 iron loft is what a 2 iron would be in my MP 67’s (had I bought the 2 iron) My conundrum is now, how should I gap? I no longer will need the titleist 2 Iron because my new set will come with a 19 degree 3 iron and I don’t really want to go back to the 3 wood, so I’m considering getting something to fill the gap better on top, between my Apex 2 Hybrid and driver, but don’t want a 3 wood. I’m thinking of trying out the Callaway super hybrid and setting the loft as low as possible 16 degrees? (I think my Apex is 18 degree) I feel with the added length of shaft on the super hybrid, lower loft and lower CG , I may have to do something to get it out there a bit longer, yet not compromise on missing fairways (which I do with my 3 wood marginally less than my driver.) I guess I’m in the same boat as you, but I feel like I’m navigating the waters.

My suggestion on gapping is try what you feel will give you the best confidence in finding the most fairways. If a driving iron is what you fancy, and it finds more fairways than your wood or a hybrid could for you, than go for it. ?

As @cwilk pointed out, bounce could become a concern. Also the amount of offset that would appear to present, which comes down to personal preference.
I am going to be shooting out some irons for the 2i spot soon, the main contenders are going to be a P790 2i and an OG UDI 1i bent to 17*, both with the same shaft. The loser will probably get sold off.

Bridgestone 

Look of offset won’t really be a factor for me, but if you really think the lack of bounce will affect performance I should probably just get rid of the graphite 3 iron and grab a 2 iron

Bend the one you have and test it. If it doesn't work out, bend it back. Though, if it's as hard as the older Tour Preferred UDI clubs, it might be a pain to bend.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I would, but I’d have to go to a shop cause I’d want to switch shafts as well. I think I’ll just go for it and buy the 2 iron, sell the 3

give x-forged UT 18* a try. its the best driving iron ive hit in my 12yrs of playing. looks great at address, easy to hit off deck and tee, feel great(soft) at impact and very forgiving. its forged so you can bend it to your desire.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

Headed to the shop now to find something, will post gcquad info when I figure it out. Thanks all

6C6OZVLKLWRM.jpeg

FRUQAQ2GR8W5.jpegI recommend the G410 Crossover with the tour shaft; literally just bought it an hour ago.Longest and tighter dispersion. Launch angle was low and spin was rate was optimal for me. Really like hitting stingers now. Feel was surprisingly good and hot.

Had a battle rumble with my Srixon U45, Mizuno HMB, Cleveland and even the latest Cobra Hybrid and this came out on top in terms of performance, consistency and feel.

I got 3-PW blades, then this UDI to a strong 13.5* 3 wood to have discerning separation. A UDI basically replaces your 20* to 17* slot.

• Like 1

got a 790 17* udi from the local shop. Put an x7 in there, waiting for the glue to dry and I’ll post pics and numbers. Not sure what length I’m gonna go with, probably just go an inch longer than 3 iron and see how it swings.

so I’ll prob go

drivergame day decision between 17* 2 iron and 4 wood depending on weather and course. Or if the 2iron ends up mid flight and spinny I’ll never touch the 4wood19* p790p730 3-pw then I’ll prob leave out the gap wedge unless i miss it or another club becomes obsolete

#%^*ing done. ?

Can confirm they are killer irons. There are also two cheeky little holes in the back underneath the badge so you can hot melt them too. I have 5g in my 21* (bent to 23*) and 8g in my 18* (bent to 20*).

Bridgestone 

So pumped to try this thing out and gap the bag. I’m trying it out with tip weight instead of my usual lead tape.

the titlest stuff was great, but I went p790 for familiarity and looks. Made my buddy hit them, seems like all very good/comparable