2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping Eye2 1 iron and Lob Wedge

Was messing around on the yard this morning waiting to get my trailer loaded and there were 3 Goodwill bins that came in late yesterday afternoon. Of course I am going to look expect anything different from me? Mostly POS clones no good shafts or grips. Then I made a find---- Found a Ping Eye2 1 iron and Ping Eye2 LW. What my question is for all you Ping guys is what do I have? I know there are + and No+ but these have no plus marks at all. They also have the blue band Ping KTM shafts in them. But any info or opinions you Ping experts could give me would be appreciated. Kinda like the way the LW sits and I have always heard they were great sand clubs. I know that Zing I have is one great sand club. I do know the LW is non - conforming but that does not make 2 hoots to me. Thanks In Advance Stu

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Send some pictures STU! Do they say PAT pending or have a particular patent number?

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Dan thanks for the quick comeback. I had some trouble posting pics before the update and now it is impossible. Both clubs have the same patent nos.

US Pat 9276644 then under that 4.512577. If you are looking at the bottom of the club at the rear ( top line at address) KARSTEN Phoenix AZ 85068 USA. Also if you look at the back to the left of the eye indention there is a raised number 2

LW SN--- 544718

1 iron SN -- B32850

What is also funny the SN on the LW is stamped horizontal on the hosel and the 1 iron is stamped vertical. I will add both are black dots. Trust me I looked for the whole set because a year ago I found a whole set of red dots from the 1 iron to the LW. I had less than $2 in the whole set at scrap prices and sold them just before Christmas for $150. These 2 I think I am going to keep. Put the 1 iron in my collection and maybe game the LW in my front line bag. But thanks for any info you can come up with. These 2 clubs I have a whopping 0.25 in as in 25 cents

On a side note, when my son played golf in high school he didn't care much for hybrids so I found a Ping Eye 2 1-iron on eBay with his exact specs. He loved that club. Still has it, but doesn't play golf anymore. I hit it a few times. I could get it airborne, just not very high, but it was great for punching out, lol.

Sleuthing around with a few bookmarks I have saved:

The patent numbers are consistent with square groove Ping Eye 2's (made Fall '85 - Spring '90). Believe the "2" is a mold number reference and doesn't indicate anything of significance other than that.

The horizontal serial # stamping is weird. Never heard of that. The + no + had the Eye 2 grooves but with the Eye 2+ sole. Hence the no + in the cavity.

Edit add: For the record. The 1 iron loft = 16*, the LW = 61*.

The KT-M shaft (KT Modified) is a lighter weight shaft and a progression of the Ping shafts in E2's. From Ping archives and copied from a another thread:

CS-LITE (Regular & Stiff): Weight: 93.9 ®, 107.3 (S) Torque: 1.8 ®, 1.7 (S) Description: Lightweight steel shaft that has a mid flex point and a mid to soft tip section. A very common shaft found in the G2 and G5 series. Ball Flight: This shaft is designed to hit the ball the highest of all of the shafts offered at this flex.

Z-Z65 (Stiff): Weight: 108.8g Torque: 1.6 Description: An updated version of the ZZ-Lite. Lightweight steel shaft that has a high flex point and stiff tip section. This shaft is only offered in stiff. The Z-Z65 is similar in flex to a Dynamic Gold S300, but is much lighter in weight. A very common shaft in ISI irons through current iron offerings. Ball Flight: This shaft is designed for a mid-ball flight due to the weight. It should fly lower then the CS-Lite and higher than the DGS and DGX.

ZZ-LITE (Stiff): Weight: 115.0g Torque: 1.9 Description: Very similar to the Z-Z65 but heavier in weight. The ZZ-Lite has a high flex point and stiff tip section. A very common shaft in Eye 2 irons. Ball Flight: Same as the Z-Z65. (NOT available for new orders)

JZ (Regular & Stiff): Weight: 109.8g ®, 115.1g (S) Torque: 1.9 ® 1.7 (S) Description: A mid weight steel shaft that plays a little softer than the Z-Z65 and ZZ-Lite. A very common shaft in Zing, Zing 2, and ISI irons. Ball Flight: Due to the mid flex point of this shaft it is designed to hit the ball between the CS-Lite and the Z-Z65. (NOT available for new orders)

DGS (Stiff): Weight: 124.5g Torque: 1.5 Description: Dynamic Gold S-400. A heavy shaft with a high flex point and a stiff tip section. Ball Flight: Weight of this shaft should hit the ball lower then all of the shafts except the DGX.

DGX (X-Stiff): Weight: 122.8g Torque: 1.4 Description: Dynamic Gold X-100. A heavy shaft with a high flex point and a very stiff tip section. Ball Flight: This shaft is heavy and aimed at players with a high swing speed or quick tempo. The shaft should produce the lowest ball flight of all shafts listed.

KT & KT-M (Stiff): Weight: 106g Torque: 1.9 Description: A mid weight shaft with a high flex point and stiff tip section. These shafts are most commonly found in Eye2, and Zing irons. Ball Flight: Mid, similar to ZZ-Lite (NOT available for new orders)

Microtaper (Stiff): Weight: 115g Torque: 1.9 Description: A mid-weight shaft with a high flex point and stiff tip section. This shaft is very similar to the KT Shaft. Most commonly found in the K series, Eye, and Eye 2 irons. Ball Flight: Mid, similar to ZZ-Lite (NOT available for new orders)

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

L127H5EQX000.jpegHere is my gamer and based on your description sounds the same as yours. I bought mine new in a barrel of a sports store in Florida back in 1990 and it’s barely left my bag. I game it today. I’m not sure what I’d do out of the bunkers without it. I hit crazy lobs with it also with full confidence. Only modifications on mine are the white paint fill on the pat pending and karsten Phoenix address. I did that to differentiate its from my others as I bought “back ups” that sit in my storage area. I likely have about half a dozen others in stainless and becu. A great find big Stu! I do have the full set of these also that i gamed for many years. 3-Pw matching serial numbers plus added a 1 and 2 irons. I used the 1 iron for a long time and I used to crush it.

• Like 1

Thanks Fella and golfunderpar18----- It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of knowledge on here. Under Par mine is identical to yours except as you noted the white paint fill you did. And mine has the same casting or mold number as yours as Fella told me about. I had wanted one for some time since I have became educated on them. I have a Zing I found from the same source and I can just about get out of any trap with it but that thing is fugly. I am dying to try that LW this weekend but it has been raining and cold for 2 days now. I guess I should not complain though my brothers to the North of me in NC got the white stuff and ice.

On the 1 iron I gamed a K-1 for years and in fact still have it. I also gamed a Eye2 1 iron for years had a X-100 shaft in it and gobs of lead tape. I messed around and converted it a while back to a HM-40 graphite or wussed it out as I told Augie the other night. I am going to try this one for sure. But thanks again guys for the Ping Education 101

Awesome. Those were same as my second set. Had the pat pending ones first.

That 1 iron will knock a Tour Edition 262 yards on the fly if you turn the mass.

I like my new PM Grind ‘19 wedges because they look and play just like those Eye 2s. Seeing how much Phil respects the Eye 2 wedges it’s not surprising.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I never could hit it that far on the fly back in the day but I hit a little stinger cut that would roll out about that far on those sun baked hard clay Carolina fairways. You know me well and know darn well I will try that 1 iron since it does have a lighter shaft. I can still hit one in fact the one Stick sent me which is an old Tourney Custom I can still hit quail high about 185 carry and 20 yards run out. My old K-1 with an S-300 I hit about the same.

• Like 1

Under Par you are about as big of a collector on those as I am about old 588s especially rusty 588s. Those BECU ones patina up nicely down here in this salt air environment

OK thanks. I am retiring at the end of March and will have time to get my computer guy over and sort things out. I know one thing that stock 1 iron is a pocket rocket. I played a walking 9 holes yesterday with 8 clubs and hit that thing.

Well they were until John Solheim after Karsten died caved in to the USGA and had the injunction lifted. Which for me I could care less I do not play stipulated comps any more and none of the groups I play in give two hoots anyhow what anyone plays.

• Like 1

Stu, when I wrote email them it may have been misleading. If you go to Ping's website, they have a 'contact us' tab which you fill in and they will reply to your email address. As you are in the States you could probably call them and get the info you want over the phone as well. I use their contact service for all my Ping clubs and find them very helpful.