Comments

• MrGolfenomicsMrGolfenomics Members  32WRX Points: 11Posts: 32 Bunkers

What flex did u go with mate I'm also 105 but aggressive 3/4 swing

Thanks

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jungwjd7jungwjd7 seattle, WAMembers  61WRX Points: 21Posts: 61 Bunkers

I went with S flex. If your swing is aggressive, I would recommend X flex.

Fitters say that VR could handle both moderate and aggressive swing well tho.

Hope it helped!

Posted:

Taylormade SIM MAX 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6S
    Taylormade SIM MAX D 3W 16 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7S
    Taylormade SIM MAX 3H 19 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85S
    Taylormade 4-P P790 17’ Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 120S
    Callway Mack Daddy 4 48(10), 52(10), 56(10)
    Titlist SM7 60(12)
    Toulon Las Vegas

• GC70GC70 What's Next? State of HockeyClubWRX  7801WRX Points: 320Handicap: 7.1Posts: 7,801 Titanium Tees

I’ve gamed the DI and TP for years and last year at my fitting I was getting really good numbers with the VR and IZ. I’m going tomorrow for a full bag fitting and I’ll test them all again in the new heads.

Posted:
    Atmos Blue 6S
     Atmos Red 7S
    Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Scotty T22 Newport
    Pro V1x /

WITB Link
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5454WRX Points: 478Handicap: 10Posts: 5,454 Titanium Tees

First session with the VR and it is as advertised. Little lower launch and tad stiffer than the IZ.

Played GD AD DI for years and IZ for several months. 100 mph SS with 6s untipped playing 44.5” in a Sim Max D. Love it. Made much more center contact than usual as a 10 hdcp. Love this setup.

Posted:
    TM SIM Max 9* Speeder 661 S
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • t4t3rt4t3r Members  3061WRX Points: 397Posts: 3,061 Titanium Tees

Obviously it’s up to what works best for each person and there really isn’t a way to quantify that in general, but the VR is definitely “better” than the IZ in my opinion. DI most certainly has its place for that profile and it’s a great one. If you’re looking for something like the IZ, however, I would strongly encourage people to go straight to the VR and give that a shot first.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 10.5* - PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - Diamana S+ 72x
    Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood 20* - PX Evenflow Black 85 6.5
    Bridgestone J40 CB 4-PW - DG Tour Issue AMT X100
    Bridgestone J15 50.08 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Callaway MD4 54.10S - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58.12 - DG Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5454WRX Points: 478Handicap: 10Posts: 5,454 Titanium Tees

Agree with what you said. My initial impression is that I am going to like the VR better than the other two.

Posted:
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat

Advertisement
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of HockeyClubWRX  7801WRX Points: 320Handicap: 7.1Posts: 7,801 Titanium Tees

You definitely have to hit them for your self. The VR, IZ, and even the XC are pretty darn close. The VR is about about 2 yards longer for me and launches a tad lower than the IZ for me. I could game any of the 3 no problem.

Posted:
    Atmos Blue 6S
     Atmos Red 7S
    Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Scotty T22 Newport
    Pro V1x /

WITB Link
  • mokedaddymokedaddy Members  1354WRX Points: 190Posts: 1,354 Platinum Tees

The iz and xc both really shine in tx flex but I got better numbers from going back to the gp. The vr is great in my 5 wood but launches a little high and spins too much for driver.

Posted:
    TM M6 9 GD Tour AD GP 6x
    TM M6 15 GD Tour AD TP 7x
    TM M6 18 GD Tour AD VR 8x
    Ping I200, IBlade 4-P KBS TOUR V 125 power spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 - 49ss, 55ws, 60ss KBS TOUR V 125 - Heel grind, WRX grind
    Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT TOUR BLACK
    Best Grips leather grips
    Snell MTB-X yellow
  • kizdockizdoc UA Wildcat ClubWRX  439WRX Points: 87Handicap: 8.6Posts: 439 ClubWRX

I recently picked up a Tour AD VR 6 stiff shaft for my driver and have to say what a great shaft this is for me in combination with a TS3 head. It's more stable than the Tour AD DI shaft and has a piercing flight with plenty of roll out. I would definitely describe the VR shaft as a DI shaft on steroids. Love it.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6S
    Titleist TS2 16.5* Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    Titleist TS2 21* Graphite Design Tour AD TP 8S
    Miura MB-5003 4-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Miura 1957 51Y, 55C Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Wedge 115
    Titleist Vokey Raw 260.06 Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Wedge 125
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy, 34/355
    Titleist Pro V1x

DI on steroids is perfect! Piercing and strong. My favorite GD shaft so far.

Posted:
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • bragger84bragger84 Members  23WRX Points: 44Posts: 23 Bunkers

I tested VR-6X on a Foresight Quad, and in 30 swings I knew it was special. Ended up buying it on the spot and had it in the bag about a month later after some course testing. Took out my AD BB which was 4 seasons in. For me it was the sweet spot of all the GD shafts Ive loved over the years. Ive always been a feel over distance player so read the next set of comments with that in mind.

I tend to transition fairly smooth off the top, and would not in any way call my swing aggressive. Below are the rough numbers from the session with the VR:

Spin - Up 200 to 2200

Launch - Up 1.4 to 12.7

Carry - Up 5.5, to 284.8

*** Didn't see any gains in club head speed, just more effective launch of the ball.

For me the spectrum of feel for the AD line is between the DI on one end and BB the other. The VR felt like its much closer to the DI on that spectrum, perhaps marginally stiffer, but not in such a significant way that you lose the feel. Boardy would not describe this shaft. The VR still has that traditional kicking feel, that the DI and IZ do, which is awesome.

My problem in past tests with the DI, was that "kick" always translated into a ball flight that was nearly ballooning and lost some carry. With the VR it had that same feeling of coming off hot at impact, but without the high ball flight. It repetitively produced the same mid flight, penetrating trajectory I always dream of having. Felt like the ball just stayed in the air forever.

Posted:
    EF SZ TD w/ AD VR 6X - 9°
    M2 (2016) w/ AD MT 8X - 15°
    818 H2 w/ Tensei Pro White X - 19°
    Apex MB Raw (4-PW) w/ S400 TI
    Vokey WW w/ S400 TI - 50°, 55°, 60°
    Spider X

Advertisement
  • drscott266drscott266 Members  642WRX Points: 207Posts: 642 Golden Tee

How would the AD VR compare to the AD TP. Picked up a TP but it was tipped 1”. I found it to be long sometimes but other times it would come up pretty short. Love the feel but at my normal 6S it was borderline stout. Was it the tip trim that made it stout or is that the shaft? Would AD VR be a little easier to launch, as the chart shows it should be higher than the TP.

Posted:
  • KevCannonKevCannon ClubWRX  438WRX Points: 183Handicap: 1.5Posts: 438 ClubWRX

It depends when your release is, tempo, and speed but yeah 1 inch of tipping would stiffen it up. Don’t worry about their “chart”, that is just based on the fact that the VR has a softer tip section so GD is listing it easier to draw and hit higher. But every swing is different and the same shaft will perform and feel different for different swing types.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 9 degree w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
    Callaway Epic flash sub zero 15 degree  w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70tx
    Callaway Apex hybrid 18 degree  w/ GD tour AD IZ 85x
    Callaway X Forged 4 - PW  w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50-F, 54-S, Callaway MD4 58-X  w/ Project X 6.0
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball

The TP will feel softer in the butt section compared to VR, and for most the TP will have more of a load and kick. All else being equal the VR will be more active in the tip section.

Posted:
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball

Thanks for the reply, if I liked the AD TP 6Sotherwise but felt like it was borderline for my 100-105 swing would an untipped version better or something like the AD VR? I really hit the TP straight which tells me I like the profile.

Posted:

Yeah I would definitely try a TP 6s untipped. It sounds like on some shots you were loading it fine, and the ones that were much shorter my guess is you didn’t quite load the shaft enough. That is just my guess knowing nothing else regarding your swing. I love the TP personally.

Posted:
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball

Advertisement

Understood completely, but that is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Mainly I was Curious about the effect of 1” of tipping as my impression is that was quite a bit. I loved the profile of the shaft and felt like I could make a really positive swing with it. A couple of the drives were really good for me.

Posted:

Such a great and still underrated shaft. I still game it in 3 wood, and usually end up coming back to it in the driver. 3 seasons with the TP, I have the Aldila Synergy green prototype in driver now and going well but the TP always makes a comeback at some point.

Posted:
    Toulon San Diego putter
    Srixon Z Star XV ball
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty IndianapolisMembers  3563WRX Points: 223Handicap: 5.5Posts: 3,563 Titanium Tees

I have the Ventus Black in my driver, and the AD VR in my 3 wood. The Ventus was a natural fit, but the VR actually took alittle getting used to. I started out hitting some hooks with it, which kind of surprised me. I made alittle tweak to my swing, and I think that I have gotten that straightened out. I find the VR to be a lively shaft with a nice kick and a penetrating ball flight. I need alittle more time on the range with it, but the only weakness I have seen so far is that my dispersion hasn't been as tight as I would like, but again, that is likely a swing issue.

Posted:
    Cobra SZ Tour Length 9.0 with Ventus Black 60 stiff shaft
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD VR 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe

I briefly demo’d the VR and know what you mean. It felt loose but did not generally produce a loose ball flight, if anything I had a hard time comprehending how stout it played compared to how it felt.

Posted:
  • KiwiNickKiwiNick Members  58WRX Points: 39Handicap: 5Posts: 58 Bunkers

I'm about to hit my AD VR 6X this afternoon. I'm coming from PX Evenflow T1100 Stiff so I'll let you know. The EF 1100 feels about a half a flex more than 6.0, quite similar to 6.5 in Smoke imo. Just searching for a touch more launch with the VR. Hoping this profile works.

Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    3W 15.75* (C1) Titleist TS2
    3H 18* (C1, F) Titleist 818 H1
    4i 22* Callaway X Forged UT 
    5i > PW Callaway Apex Pro 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 
    Putter: Odyssey O-Works 7s 

Advertisement

I found the Evenflow T1100 to be the stoutest shaft I have ever somehow been fit for, comparable to the Black as you stated. I am pretty confident the VR will give you more launch and definitely more feel. This is based on my limited exposure with both, but I think you nailed the description of the T1100. I am still scratching my head as to how someone ever thought the Evenflow white is something I should pay money for with my swing.

Posted:

I agree, as a stock shaft for Titleist I still wonder how such a tough shaft fits such a wide range of folks? I will say though that adding a 75gm 6.0 EF 1100 to my 3w has been a revelation! Had to go up to 16.5 to keep launch up but wow, what a ball flight!

I'll report back this evening on the VR. It looks beautiful in the flesh btw.

Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 

Best of luck! I’m trying an untipped AD TP, the feel of that shaft just speaks to me.

Posted:

So, 27 holes in I think this could be the new gamer. Has a very different kick point than the EF 1100 (no surprise) which took some time to get used to. But, it's got to be the most anti left shaft I've ever tried. Hit some bombs with it this evening. Much higher launch with a touch more spin. That meant even my miss hits weren't miles into the rough and I still had a shot. Another 18 holes tomorrow to decide but so far 9/10.

Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 

I just made the switch from EF White 6.0 to the VR6X and my impression so far is that it'll be a keeper. The EF had a nastly left duck hook that would turn up every now and then when I got a bit to aggressive with the right hand in the downswing. The 6X is about as anti-left as I've ever come across. The VR also launches a lot higher (good for my carry distance) and a touch more spin (300rpm at a guess). Both of these are positives for me but YMMV. The one thing that took about 27 holes to get used to was the kick point. The EF was really linear, more than I realized. The VR has a distinctive timing that I found I needed to be a bit more patient at the top and then pretty aggressive into the ball. It all adds up to a good shaft change for me but for the price I'd better be vanquishing my interclub matchplay rivals when the season resumes.

Posted:
    D 8* Callaway Rogue SZ 
    GW 50* Callaway MD5 
    SW 54* Callaway MD4 
    LW 58* Callaway PM Grind 

Advertisement
  • jbole267jbole267 CalgaryMembers  406WRX Points: 107Handicap: 1Posts: 406 Greens

Does anyone have any more input on their Tour AD VR experiences?

Posted:
    Ping G410 - Ventus Black 7X
    Srixon Z785 KBS 130X
    Titleist Vokey Sm7 50-54-58
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 64
    Scotty Cameron Mil Spec
    Taylormade TP5X

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.