Justin Rose leaving Honma ???

Has anyone besides me ever thought it odd when those guys dump their bag right away? I mean...they made those clubs (a few anyway) for him! Those were what he wanted to look down at and how he wanted them to perform. Then as soon as news leaks...he flipped his entire bag!! Guys do this quite often and it always makes me wonder.

As much as I have seen an uptick in seeing Honma stuff on GolfWRX and being available in my local store I have not seen a single and I mean one single Honma club being used out on the golf course. Every CEO on the planet right now is trying to protect against a recession because of the coronavirus outbreak. The Honma CEO probably took a look at his balance sheet and saw the biggest number the company has is Justin Rose and since signing him the sales numbers increase hasn't covered his salary. If that's the case it's the first cut you make in the position of that CEO. Need to keep as much cash on hand as possible to ride out the storm.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

Has to be mental IMO too, only thing I can think is that if one company has a patent on some technology..

Was just yesterday hitting 2019 & 2020 drivers and properly setup they all perform almost identical but there is a difference in feel / look that always pushes you to one or a another one of them.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

Interesting comments and in a sense somewhat right!!! Many people think that the Taylormade equipment guys in that Truck are the best at spoiling, tweaking minute details and to some extent "baby-sitting" their players (not meant in a demeaning way really). So when a player leaves their staff some of them try to sneak into the TM truck and their guys for some "help". Anyway some of them have a hard time finding life out there the same in different environs. So even if they have a iron and or ball deal outside of TM, ,any will play drivers and fairways, some wedges and putters from TM without any contracts so they are not fully estranged from their old TM guys.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  STEALTH 2 Plus 8.0 driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

He had an actual rose proto irons made by Honma and now he's back to Rose proto which is also Rors proto which is also DJ proto aka p730....... Can't wait for the news

• Like 1

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

I'm bagging the XP-1 hybrid and absolutely loving them. Tested them against Ping G410s, Titleists, TMs, etc. Best numbers and dispersion for me. Definitely recommend trying them. Drivers and FWs were not best fits for me.

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

Agree with a lot of the perspectives, however, the kicker for me is that Rose was instrumental in the construction of these irons from the bottom up and didn't just get thrown into a club he didn't like. I truly couldn't recall a time when a player switched for the money and actually did have more success than previously, I also can't remember a break up like this where they made him as big as the brand and the relationship didn't even last a year. I have never hit a Honma club so I can't speak on the product, but it will be a long tough road back if they are going to stay relevant making clubs.

Unfortunately, it seems like some players do not make sponsorship choices with the actual equipment in mind, but rather the number of digits behind the dollar sign. It just never seems to work out for the player, though, when they venture outside of their comfort zone to take a chance on a company strictly for the money. It just comes off a little short sighted to me, as it seems like there are far too many examples (cautionary tales) of players making an equipment jump at the height of their success (and marketability/ profitability) - it just seems like an opportunistic money grab, and not a decision made with becoming a better professional golfer in mind. I think, personally, I would be making equipment decisions based solely on performance and giving myself the best chance to win tournaments (and big novelty checks), until the time comes when I’m no longer realistically competing for trophies. But, then again, that’s easy for me to say, because no one has ever offered me a penny to play their golf equipment. Plus golf is a passion of mine, and not my profession. My opinion may be different if I thought of golf as a clock punching activity, rather than something I gladly pay money to do.

All of this is said with no knowledge of what actually is going on between Honma and Rose.

• Like 1

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I didn't say they don't make high quality clubs, but I would venture to assume that in all your golf this year you are the only person in any group that had a single Honma club in the bag. Doesn't matter how good the quality is if the clubs don't sell you make no money. I don't see anyone running out to buy Honma clubs in the US just because Justin Rose plays them, which is a massive problem if that's where the company has invested ba substantial amount of its proceeds.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

Is he still with ole Stack n Tilt fann y pack doucher?

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Agree- pretty sure they are investing heavily in a mobile fitting program, but absolutely need to get clubs in the hands of golfers. I was blown away.

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

Lol, Yup. It's not so much him or what's being taught, it's the over reliance and over bearing nature of it all. The guy is as close to a "Faldo" as any, he just doesn't own it the way Nick did or for that matter, the way Hogan did. When I watched him, he was stinging a 6i to 200 yards in a 15 foot circle, in pretty severe wind too. Other guys were not in his league, yet coach is all up his arse through it all. "Back off, it's Sunday." is what should have been said.

• Like 1

They are actually working on their US presence in many ways. Honma House and all of the satellite fitting studios is the first step. Hiring guys with a social media following like the wedge wizard is another. They have a decent plan but it will take time.

[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]917 D2 10.5 Matrix Rul 60X[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]915F 15* Matrix RUL 70X[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Tour Edge [/color][color=#ff0000]CB Pro Tungsten 2 iron with Speeder Pro[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]4-PW[/color] [color=#ff0000]716 AP2 AMT X100[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]SM6 54 & 58 TI S400[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron [/color][color=#ff0000]Futura 5MB[/color][/b]

It’s comical to read through some of these comments. Those suggesting Honma is done, or their product is of lesser quality/performance because Justin Rose isn’t playing them anymore, are blind sheep walking to the ledge. Tour pros are notorious for being head cases when things don’t go well. They rarely ever look in the mirror and blame themselves. It’s much easier to blame equipment, coaching, caddies etc. Honma makes great products, their irons are top notch. I’ve fit quite a few players into the new TR20 series irons and am very pleased with their product. Pretty sure Rose drove the ball miserably at the Honda Classic, so saying the Sim must be better is stupid.

• Like 3

Im here to announce that due to better performances throughout the last 4 years... i am officially signing a contract with callaway golf and nike apparel for the remainder of my life for the tottal sum of $20k+.

This just in... due to the fact of me just going over the fine print of my contract which reads... if the signee does not currently play on any of the pro tours or has never at least shot a 79 or lower he must actually pay us for whatever equitment he so choses to play with or wear... i hear by am terminating my contract with callaway and nike and am taking my talents to.... WALMART golf and apparel.

You may now return to your regular golf wrx forum channel viewing.