maybe i buy ´18/´19 BXs for 2020

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

I need to know whether to spend the extra dough on the 20 BX version. Getting a lot of mixed reviews and haven't had the time or availability to test myself. I was pretty set on the new version til a guy above mentioned they didn't fly as straight for him.

Does the BX 20 fly as well off the tee as the 18-19 version? Anyone else? And is the spin around the green and approaches really that noticeable? Putting is subjective and I dont mind the feel of the older model BX off my putter.

G400 9* 
Titleist 16*
Titleist 20*

ZX7
Vokey 51*, 56*, 60*
Spider X

Unless there is a defect in a ball, it can't fly less straight. Spin axis is determined by your delivery and only your delivery. A few hundred RPM's of spin isn't going to be enough to stabilize a ball that much and we're only talking about a few hundred RPM's off the driver max.

At most you're talking 1.5MPH of ball speed with a driver and a few hundred RPM of spin more with irons and wedges. You might notice a difference over a whole season, but from shot to shot it's going to be hard to separate that from the noise in your strike.

If I was happy playing the older ball, I'd continue to buy them until they run out (which they will do shortly).

Unless we're talking a crazy amount of runout vs dead stop, a ball should behave consistently from year to year. Also, it's not difficult to adjust to +/-500rpm changes in greenside control if you use a ball more than 3 consecutive holes. Adjust your aim and you landing spot, problems solved.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

the 2018 BX version was one of the best balls on the market along with TP5 and of course Prov1......the new BX feels a bit "softer" but thats all sujective.......if you like the 2018 BX, go stock up on the deals you can find right now.....the 2020 version is NOT worth $18 more a dozen.....to me anyway... i bought a sleeve of each new bridgestone and the feels are noticeably different between the 2018 bx and 2020 bx, but the bxs feels exactly the same......

• Like 1

Subjective for sure, but I switched to the '18 BX last year because I found it to perform better around the greens than its X-ball competitors like TP5x and Z-Star XV. A good strike with clean grooves can make this ball grab as good as some of the best, not to mention the exceptional long game performance.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Finally got to play the BX yesterday. Still fairly wet here in GA but the temps were in the 60s so got a fair representation of performance. This is a weird ball to me. It feels dead is the best way I can describe it. I like the click of a firm golf ball without going overboard. So far, the BX and the BRX have the feeling of a softer ball. Definitely softer off the putter and just indistinct off the irons. I hit some shots yesterday I thought were terrible from the feel off the club face that ended up past my normal distances. So the ball flies forever but it just has a different feeling. Again, very similar to the RX, I noticed less spin than I see on my gamer ProV1s for sure. Less green side spin and less overall spin on full shots. It was definitely drop and stop. Some shot rolled out 3-4 feet where I would see 3-4 backspin easily with a ProV1. That concerns me for my game especially when greens firm up in the warmer weather. I really wanted to give these a go in 2020. So far I am not trending in that direction. I think I am going to need to try the XS and RXS to see how they perform.

Man, it's funny how different swings offer different results.

I found the exact opposite - 2020 BX has more approach and greenside spin for me than V1 I played for the past couple years.

Plus, the new BX has less spin and stronger trajectory with my driver when compared to V1 - which equaled extra yards for me on my tee shots.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I'm still messing around with different Bridgestone balls. Background: I've been playing the '18 BX for a while. I found it to be a good ball. For some reason, I decided to try the '18 RXS a little while back. I was very surprised to find it to be a good 6-8 yards longer off of every iron. However I didn't feel it was real deep off the tee. Anyway, after reading the buzz here, I tried th '20 RXS. I couldn't really tell the difference from the '18 RXS. Today I tried the '20 RX. It seemed pretty long off the tee. I was back to my usual distances on good strikes--comparable to the distances with the '18 BX. My irons, however, were flying very long. This ball seemed hot off the irons all day, and I was having trouble figuring out which club to hit on my approaches. Downwind, the ball tended to roll out. Into the wind, or neutral wind, the ball stopped ok--it rolled forward but not alarmingly so. FYI our greens are fairly firm and stimp at around 11. So after all of this, I'm thinking about trying the '20 BX, or I may just continue with the '20 RX. I have a dozen of the RX, so probably the best course is to get more familiar with those. FWIW, I really don't like changing balls a lot. I feel like it introduces another variable in the game that I don't need. Hmmm...

• Like 1

Just got back from playing. It was pretty windy out there and i have to tell you, i played 4 holes with the new BXS and 5 holes with the 2018 BX.

i was on a par 5 and really hit my drive well.....my 2nd shot was ~ 260 from the green with a big bunker protecting the front. i hit my hybrid which is usually a 210 club. Was hoping to get up and down from 50 yards for birdie, at worst a par......my hybrid shot was hit dead center of the sweet spot and it started out great. The wind caught the bxs and it ballooned quickly and the ball fell well short of my target.....that happened a few times. Without the wind, the ball flew great but the BX cut through a little better.....no ballooning but the BX is definitely a "harsher" feel. if you dont hit it square, you can feel it pretty good.

I think the TP5 is much better in this same type of scenario.....for me anyway.

Out of curiosity , what are you not comparing 18 BX against 20 BX?

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Haven't had the chance to test the '20 BStone lineup, but this is exactly what I found last year and why I switched to the TP5 early. It cuts through the wind great, yet has the feel and performance of a Pro V or BXS. From 150 and in l, and especially around the green, the ball just shines.

There seems to be many mixed reviews on these new ones. I will still give them a whirl but my expectations will be tempered.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Glynntaylor wrote "Has anyone got any comparisons to the new RX and RXS? I’ve done the online fit and it come up with the RX as I’m a slower swing speed however do need a little help with spin off the irons."

With a few exceptions, I've played either the Q Star Tour or an RX/RXS ball over the last half dozen years or thereabouts. I've been a member at the club down the street for the last 25 years, so I have a very good idea of where every well-struck shot will finish up. When I drop different balls during summer conditions, they tend to land on top of each other, and I usually wind up migrating back to the QST from the Bridgestone balls when on-course evidence suggests that their principal differences are $15 per dozen.

That said, up here in the Frozen Tundra we have too much time on our hands during winter, so we find ourselves using on-line fitting tools and launch monitors to inform us of possible gamers for the coming season. Bridgestone's fitting suggestion to Glynntaylor was exactly the one I received from them. This happened more than once, and with absolutely zero variation. One year I got curious about who the player was for whom Bridgestone recommended its RXS, a ball I really liked. So I began fiddling with my submitted answers to get the fitting tool to recommend the RXS for me.

It was not easy. But finally, after submitting a vast number of fudged answers, I hit the jackpot. I tell this whole tale to agree with the opinion that actually playing a ball for 18 holes in summer conditions on a known course is a better way to judge a ball's performance than to accept an algorithmic solution on-line.

Maybe it's just me, but for many on-line selectors, it seems that their authors think we hackers in general slice/ hook the ball abysmally, have no short game skills, and will give up all else to beef up our pathetic drives from 188 yards to 190 yards. Your yardage may vary :)

• Like 1

I've been playing the Z Star for the last 6 months or so (winter excluded of course) but on my round last Sunday I took a couple of Tour B RX's (2020 version) and was thoroughly pleased with the performance. While I didn't play them on every hole, I really did not have any drop off when switching to the RX. In fact, when I did switch to it, the drives were straight and long and the feel was slightly softer. Virtually no difference when putting or chipping.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow because I really liked the softer feel.

I was particularly interested in the spin since I have had trouble holding greens and I think it performed much better than the prior version.

The Z Star has been a great performer for me, but the Tour B just had that nice soft, yet reliable, feel.

I forgot to add something interesting (to me anyway). When I switched from the '18 BX to the '18 RXS, I got an immediate increase of 5-9 yards off the irons. I find the '20 RX to be equally long off the irons vs the '18 BX. I went back and looked through that big golf ball review that we can't mention here, and found that it accurately predicted that the RX and RXS would be that much longer off the irons. I was both surprised and impressed.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised. At the loft and clubhead speed you hit with an iron, you won't lose any ball speed by going to the softer ball. But the softer ball will launch higher and spin less. That's always going to give you more distance. The real question is whether it's worth it to give up that much spin for a few yards of distance with the irons.