NFL QB vs PGA Tour Pro: which is harder?

Orville

A buddy of mine and I have been wasting too much time not working today about this. He isn't a golfer but claims NFL QB vs PGA Tour Pro is no comparison and the QB is more talented/skilled. He says why is it so easy Brady/Romo are near scratch golfers and it's so easy to them to pick up. Of course I argue the other end and I think it's easy for non-golfers to see it the way he does. What are your thoughts? There probably isn't a right answer, but interesting concept nonetheless.

I believe that the top lets say 25 PGA Tour Pro's are better at their sport than any other athlete is at his or hers. So much of golf is mental and you have too much time to think, good or bad. Most other sports are reactionary and for the most part you just need the physical capabilities.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

It's an interesting question, and one that has to come with the caveat of there only being 32 starting QB's in the NFL. So if you are comparing, you would have to keep it to the top 32 golfers in the world. To me, the top 32 on the PGA Tour are better than the 32 starting QB's in the NFL (AS A WHOLE). That being said, I think it would be pretty comparable having each of the top 3. Both are technically difficult, both are mentally difficult, one is way more of a physical risk (NFL, obviously), but one is way more of an individual effort (PGA). A top PGA player has to bring their very best EVERY WEEK, whereas a QB such as the GOAT (Tom Brady) can be off and still have the team make it to the AFC Championship or Super Bowl. A QB can also carry the whole team to a victory, so it's a tough call, however.....

I think the real difference is that, to be outside of the top 32 in each, being a back-up QB is mainly about physical tools (for the most part). Being a top PGA pro, that isn't top 32, takes a lot more technically and mentally, and I think would be the more talented/skilled vs their non-top 32 counterparts.

Last I checked, Brady is a high single digit handicap. Romo has been playing golf his entire life, so its not really a fair comparison. Quarterback is the most cerebral position in team sports, there is definitely a mental capacity to it. Success is the result of a team. In golf, a players' success is the result of the individual exclusively. A great wideout, line can make a qb look phenomenal. The right game plan can make success more attainable regardless of skill. As a golfer, the only way you look great is precise execution. Two different sports and it's a really difficult comparison to make.

I have problems with the QB position..must have been some pampered twit who came up with that role... so cerebral that others have to lay their bodies to protect him..to make him look good. I don't see that as cerebral at all. it's a skill...judgement skill which golf essentially is too. overrated role compared to a genius golfer

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

It's harder to make a living as an NFL qb, there's only about 64 of them and half of that number are out every year. If you put Tony on a golf course with Brooks, Tony at least understands the game and might even be somewhat competitive. Put Brooks under center in an NFL game and he has no place to start. He doesn't know how to read a defense, it's unlikely he knows how to take a snap, and doesn't have the arm talent to compete. Plus, he is frail compared to the guys who would really, really like to knock his !!!! in the dirt. In reality, it's not even a discussion. The skill sets are vastly different, the mental aspects are completely different, the physical requirements are worlds apart and situational processing is completely different.

HAHA! Soccer is for athletic guys who aren't athletic/big/strong/fast/talented enough to play Football, Baseball, Basketball... throw in track and feild(even though that's highly specialized). Rugby would be Soccer's closest comparison, even with that one could easily argue Rugby takes more physical capability.

But to answer your question NFL QB is far and away much more difficult and harder to crack into much less be top X%. You have to have the athleticism, arm strength, size(for the most part), and most importantly the mental capacity to excel. That alone limits the number of people that are even capable of being good regardless of the amount of time spent practicing.

Harder? Neither is harder than the other.

Tiger Woods could never win 6 rings

And Tom Brady could never win 15 Majors

The criteria for success are radically different. I'd say a better comparison is a pro golfer to an mlb pitcher as far as the level of overall athleticism and having similar athletic "moves" and nuance to craft shots and throws.

Your buddy doesn't seem to understand that "near-scratch" is light years from being competitive as a pro golfer.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

bottom line can Romo or Smoltz go low when they have to.....not hardly...They are darn near scratch, but they will shoot 78 more times than they will shoot 68...just about every TOUR pro can shoot 65 without breathing hard and they can do it two days in a row..Romo and Smoltz cant do that or they would be playing the Tour

Lol...no way. Basketball is not a more difficult sport. The court is smaller, there are fewer players on the field, it does not require as much precision as soccer and they play fewer games. Soccer players run at least 7 miles a game on a field roughly the size of a football field while playing offense and defense. There are only 2, 45 minute halves with no timeouts and only 3 subs...a game. Not to mention the game is played with their feet. They can reach top speeds of 20 miles an hour, stop on a dime and drop a 30 yard pass And hit someone in stride, or bend a shot 10 feet that hits a target roughly the size of a dinner plate in the top corner.

Basketball is the least difficult sport mentioned.

Both sports require a lifetime of commitment to be successful. Football's entirely more taxing, which is why you don't often see guys outside of their early 30's playing professionally, but it's foolish to say that either one is less impressive than the other. The reason that a Brady or a Romo can be so good at golf is because they've already got that performance mindset - they've devoted their lives to knowing exactly how each muscle in their body works. Same as a Tiger or a Jack...those guys know exactly which muscles to fire in order to swing a golf club, just like Romo and crew can fire the exact right muscles to throw a football down field.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Big Ben or Romo could be a professional golfer (in theory). Justin or Rory could not play QB.

There’s a very different physical requirement for the football player. It’s just a must have. You can be a great athlete, but if the physical attributes aren’t there (mainly size), it’s just not doable.

So many variables and ways to compare.

I'm thinking of all the football players from junior high, to high school, to all divisions of college to pros and just coming through the sheer number of players, even just QBs once someone is on that track, to be an NFL QB is to be among the elite of the elite for athletes with all that is involved.

I get how we all see pro golfers do stuff and think we can (and sometimes we can some things they can do) even though virtually all of us couldn't do what they do.

I just laugh at people who think even for a second "I could do that" at the pro football level. By my definition of "hard" that is one damn hard job.

Really? How bout kicking it 10 ft wide/high on half their shots on a target that is 24 ft wide? They do plenty of standing around too (especially the non midfielders). Guys hit dinner plate size targets for real (unlike soccer were you can miss slightly and likely still score) from 30-35 ft away with 6'6'-7'0" tall players jumping straight up 12-24 inches in front of them. Only 12 guys a team too, so definitely a lot harder to make in top level bball (NBA) vs soccer. See I can do it too...

Not really a good way to look at it. You took the best tour players (top 1/4) and compared them to the best and worst starting QBs in the league. It you want to compare all I would say something like all starting QBs vs top 125 (ie guarantee card guess sorta like starting) If you want to include backups QB, then include like Korn Ferry card winners and unconditional members. If you want to use the top 30 golfers then use like the top 7 or 8 QBs. Anyways my main point would be is that it is not really comparable.

It's a silly question. How many people play American Football in addition to their main sport? Rory is hardly going to rock up to his local team each Saturday he's not playing golf, look what he did to his ankle messing round playing football.

I would work out how many adults play golf globally, compare that to how many have a valid Tour card (say the major tours) vs how many adults play American football, and how many make a living from it. That will tell you which is more difficult.

Q. Do you know why they don’t call hockey basketball?

to answer the OP’s question, this is an impossible question. Who has more skill? I would say a QB simply because it is ever changing and more reliant on physical ability. Which is more difficult? I would think being a professional golfer is more difficult.

A. Because it isn’t easy.