2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie SX500

Ok, I just got my Skycaddie SX500. What are my 1st steps???

[size=3]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5° TENSI BLUE 67g 6/17/19
Srixon Z F85  fwy 13.5°, 18° HZRDUS 6.0 62g 9/15/19
TaylorMade M4 Hyb 22° 4/1/19
Honma  T // World Rose Proto 5-10 iron
 N.S. PRO MODUS 3 TOUR 120  S 8/8/19
Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 [/size]
[size=3]3/7/19
TaylorMade Mill Grind 50° 07/17/18, TaylorMade Mill Grind 54° 4/12/19, TaylorMade
Mill Grind 58° 07/17/18
Titleist ProV1x Grips Golf Pride Z-Grip cord align midsize Glove FJ Pure Touch Limited L
Callaway Epic Star [/size]
[size=3]staff bag
Titleist Players 4 stand bag
Jan Craig headcovers
Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0[/size]

> @Pwood28 said:

> > @tpgrrr1 said:

> > Ok, I just got my Skycaddie SX500. What are my 1st steps???

>

> Turn it on, download a course and go play some golf!

:D Thank you! I will definitely do that this weekend

• Like 1

[size=3]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5° TENSI BLUE 67g 6/17/19
Srixon Z F85  fwy 13.5°, 18° HZRDUS 6.0 62g 9/15/19
TaylorMade M4 Hyb 22° 4/1/19
Honma  T // World Rose Proto 5-10 iron
 N.S. PRO MODUS 3 TOUR 120  S 8/8/19
Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 [/size]
[size=3]3/7/19
TaylorMade Mill Grind 50° 07/17/18, TaylorMade Mill Grind 54° 4/12/19, TaylorMade
Mill Grind 58° 07/17/18
Titleist ProV1x Grips Golf Pride Z-Grip cord align midsize Glove FJ Pure Touch Limited L
Callaway Epic Star [/size]
[size=3]staff bag
Titleist Players 4 stand bag
Jan Craig headcovers
Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0[/size]

• 1 month later...

I've been a SC user since 2008. 2.5, 5, SGX and recently sold my LinxGT Game Tracker with tags. Used to play 50+ rounds per year. Bought the LinxGT in Jun 2017 and only played 23 rounds since. Decided all the stat tracking just isn't my thing anymore. I'm undecided on buying the SX500. I know there are loyalty discounts etc, but with my Note 8 phone the resolution of the Skycaddie Mobile app looks to be every bit as good and it's $19.95 per year vs. cost of SX500 and subscription. So if you've been a fan of SC like me, tell me why I should make the move. Thanks, Mike

I've only tried the mobile app once or twice, but I believe the Mobile app only shows the screen with the entire hole. it doesn't have the intelligreen screen that lets you get distances to any point of the green, just shows front, center, and back numbers. Aside from less features, I think the biggest factors are going to be accuracy and battery life. A phone GPS is usually not going to be accurate within a yard like the sx500. I can get 3 rounds from a single charge on the sx500 which has been useful when playing back to back days. It also recharges much faster than a phone. I often forget to recharge so being able to get a quick charge has already saved me more than once.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

> @bradleyguye said:

> Would this new cupholder work with the SkyCaddie?

>

> https://www.weathertech.com/weathertech-cupfone/cupfone/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlJfsBRDUARIsAIDHsWpGf3DEQqwsxRvItECR_g15GvZGXQ7UyS5EgguhghqyFWbINTmQmDgaAigkEALw_wcB

It looks like it would be a close fit. Width looks ok, but depth might be an issue.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 1 month later...

> @BrendanH said:

> (Quote)

> I'm back to answer my own question. Hopefully this will help some other owners.

> After posting above, I continued my search and found this one website that seemed to be offering a custom SX500 screen protector:

>

> http://lexerd.com/SKY-Caddie-SX500-GPS-Screen-Protector

>

> The product page did not show an image specific to the SX500 so I was not entirely confident it would be a properly custom cut piece, but I figured I would give it a shot. I just received it today and it has worked out quite well. It is cut to the odd shape of the SX500 screen, although it does not reach all the way out to the edges. My installation alignment was not great as you will see from the pics, but I decided not to try again as I somehow managed to avoid dust particles and air bubbles the first time around and I didn't want to tempt fate. The touch screen functions perfectly with the protector in place, so all in all this is a good buy. I chose the "Crystal Clear" option so I cannot comment on the Anti-glare model also available at the same page.

>

> Anyway, if you are looking for a screen protector this one works very nicely.

>

> (Image)

The anti-glare is dark.. I just bought the clear version after seeing a friends side by side with mine!

• 2 months later...

Do you need to sync the SX500 with wifi to get the pin placements or is that done over GPS as well? I took it out for the first time and either the course I played at didn't "broadcast" pin placements or I just didn't know how to get the pin placements automatically. I know you can plot them manually, but I thought the course I played at was nice enough to get to pins.

Driver: PXG Gen5 0811XF 9* with Tensei CK Blue 65, stiff
3W: PXG Gen4 0341 15* with Fukijura PRO 2.0, stiff
Hybrid: PXG Gen4 0317X 19* with Fujikura PRO 2.0, stiff

4i-6i: Srixon ZX 5 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff

7i-AW: Srixon ZX 7 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff
54: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
58: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Coronado California

Pinpoint is only available on some courses. You can see on the Skycaddie web site which are setup with Pinpoint. The way Pinpoint works is that courses that use zones for pin placement, at the start of the round, you enter the zone that is being used that day. Your Skycaddie will then give you the distance to the center of the zone instead of to the center of green. It will also show where the center of the zone is so you can determine your shot, where to you aim and the distance you want to hit the ball. If your course uses zones on your greens but Pinpoint is not available, you can submit the zone map to Skygolf and they will map the zones to the greens.

• Like 4

Callaway Chrome Soft

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For those that are still looking for a mount for SX500 (or looking for a better one), I bought last month the Caddie Buddy Steering Wheel Phone Mount (link: https://caddiebuddy.com/golf-cart-steering-wheel-phone-mount-scorecard-pro/) and it works GREAT for the SX500. I turn off AutoView (so it doesn't switch to scorecard while turning the steering wheel), and make sure to not have the side "squeeze" mounts press on the power buttons. Holds the SX500 securely, and easily flips up to write scores on the scorecard. Best mount that I've found!

I like the SX500 functionality very much. But, as a walker I struggle with it. It needs to "see" the sky, so slipping it into a back pocket and then throwing a bag over your shoulder doesn't work well. I need to find a solution for hooking it on to my bag. Has anyone else conquered this problem?

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Large patch of Velcro on the back of the SX500; other piece on the side of the bag...careful the Velcro will remove the codes from the sticker on the back if you tear off the Velcro!...ask me how I know...lol

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 2 weeks later...

So when new course updates are available- or new courses are added- how does the SX500 receive them? With a Garmin product, for example, periodically course updates are made available via their Garmin Express program whenever the Garmin device is connected to one's computer.

I don't see such a universal update with SkyGolf. Do you have to manually select courses to get added to the pre-loaded 35,000 or so whenever there is an update or new course available?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe there's a universal update that loads a full database on the device. When you sync, your favorites are updated. Otherwise you have to update a course one-by-one.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 1 year later...

So my SX500 is 2 1/2 years old - bought in April of 2019.   Now it won't turn on at all.  Don't know what the problem is;  I've plugged it in to recharge and held the start button for 30 secs. to do a reset.  I did a chat with Sky Caddie and they basically said "so sad, too bad."  They don't do repairs or battery replacement on the SX500.  If I send in my device, I can but a "refurbished" device for $170.00.  Has anyone tried replacing the battery on the SX500 on your own?  I'm really disappointed in the poor customer service.

13 hours ago, Hey, Jude said:

So my SX500 is 2 1/2 years old - bought in April of 2019.   Now it won't turn on at all.  Don't know what the problem is;  I've plugged it in to recharge and held the start button for 30 secs. to do a reset.  I did a chat with Sky Caddie and they basically said "so sad, too bad."  They don't do repairs or battery replacement on the SX500.  If I send in my device, I can but a "refurbished" device for $170.00.  Has anyone tried replacing the battery on the SX500 on your own?  I'm really disappointed in the poor customer service.

What's poor about the service? It's 2 1/2 years old and out of warrantee. They offered to give you some value for the paperweight. 

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

What's poor about the service? It's 2 1/2 years old and out of warrantee. They offered to give you some value for the paperweight. 

I agree.  After having my first SX500 stolen in Palm Springs I purchased another one in March of 2019.  A couple of months ago it fell from its windshield mount while plugged in and landed on the charge cord damaging the USB port rendering it "unchargeable" (if that's a word).  I too checked with Skycaddie and they offered the same deal - send it back and they'd send me a refurb for $170 which I thought was fair.

Nonetheless (and even though I had just renewed my membership a couple of days prior) I decided to purchase a Garmin Approach G80 instead.  Not the greatest investment short term I guess but I really like the Garmin and its launch monitor feature.  As a pure GPS range finder I liked the SX500 better for it's larger, brighter and more detailed display but the Garmin doesn't seem to have the "bugs" that the Skycaddie did and consequently I find it more dependable from an operational standpoint.

And I'm out from under the annual membership requirement which while again I think is reasonable it's still an extra fifty bucks every year that I'd just as soon spend elsewhere.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

On 11/20/2021 at 7:33 AM, Argonne69 said:

I also agree with you. We live in a time where electronics require robots to be built and almost impossible to repair but people still want electronics to be like their old tube TV. Cheap to repair, easy to repair, and lasts forever. Those days are gone. My SX500 is still working but if it does stop working, it will be an excuse to get the SX550.

• Like 2

Callaway Chrome Soft

11 hours ago, TM_HOYER said:

I also agree with you. We live in a time where electronics require robots to be built and almost impossible to repair but people still want electronics to be like their old tube TV. Cheap to repair, easy to repair, and lasts forever. Those days are gone. My SX500 is still working but if it does stop working, it will be an excuse to get the SX550.

My SX400 has a few glitches that show up every few rounds. Annoying, but I live with it. I assume it'll die shortly, and then I'll also pick up the SX550.

Heck, I've had two Samsung Galaxy smartphones die on me in the past 2 years. Each was just over a year old. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 5:57 AM, Argonne69 said:

My SX400 has a few glitches that show up every few rounds. Annoying, but I live with it. I assume it'll die shortly, and then I'll also pick up the SX550.

Heck, I've had two Samsung Galaxy smartphones die on me in the past 2 years. Each was just over a year old. 

You know I've owned at least one of every model Skycaddie since the original and have argued in their defense both on this forum and elsewhere.  Still drives me crazy all the people poor mouthing them over the price, the service and the annual fees.  If that's how you feel then don't buy the danged thing.  I had my little issues from time to time with Skygolf but all in all thought it was a great product at a fair price.

What more can someone ask for?

As for me I just decided that I wanted to try something different so I bought the Garmin.  If my SX500 hadn't broken I would have happily continued using it until it inevitably died and who knows?  I might well end up back in a Skycaddie at some point in the not so distant future.  

In my opinion it's a quality product and as best I can tell they were the tip of the spear in developing and bringing such technology to the golf market in the first place for which I am grateful!

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

• 1 year later...

First round yesterday with my new SX550. I picked it up a few weeks ago, and finally got it on to the course. The large screen is excellent.

Disappointed in the battery life, though. When my SX400 was new I could get 5 rounds out of a charge. After 3 years it was down to 4 rounds, but still acceptable. After 1 round with the SX550 it looked like the battery was nearly 50%. I'll have to check the screen brightness today. The auto-dim is set fairly short, so I don't think that's the problem. Now, the device did sit for a few weeks, so maybe the battery was down a bit before the start of the round. I'll give it a full charge after today's round, and see how it holds up this weekend. I do wish it was a little thicker with a larger battery. As a dedicated device, I don't think it needs to be uber-slim, unlike a phone that's carried around all day. A larger battery is always nice.

Fired up the SX550 this morning, and the battery was at 67 percent after yesterday's round. I checked the screen dimming timeout, and it was set at the default of 2 minutes. Probably explains the battery drain. Played a quick 2:30 round, and the battery was at 47 percent. Going to give it a full charge tonight, and we'll see how it goes.