2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golfing alone

stikillller

Absolutely this ... I teach and have to deal with students most days. I enjoy the company of golf. But some Saturdays it's just better for me to get out to my local course alone and just play. I play at my own pace, don't have to wait on anyone else. It's an escape from the responsibilities for a few hours and it's nice to just enjoy the quiet.

For me, playing alone and playing with the 1-2 guys that I really enjoy getting out there with are tied for first. Playing with 2-3 friends is right behind that, playing with 6-7 over two tee times is a solid third, and playing by myself or with a buddy and getting paired with randoms is dead last.

I'm a teacher too, and a parent to two girls. I have to be "on" all the time. Getting the solitude is priceless. And if I had to rely on my friends to join me, I'd play maybe 5% of the rounds I'm aiming for in a given year.

My preferred ways to play ranked in preference

Playing in a scramble with friendsPlaying individual competition (tourney)Playing for money with a buddy playing alonePlaying with "social" golfersPlaying with 3 people who have coronavirusPlaying with my one friend who always aims 40 yards right, acts surprised when It goes 40 yards right, and then gets mad at me when I casually mention that he was lined up there.

I wish I could play solo golf more, but I have a problem with tracking my ball. I have very poor vision (even corrected) because of the "floaters" in my field of view. When I move my eyes to watch the golf ball, I can't track it because of all the floaters. Plus, the propensity to be wild off the tee doesn't help at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond S - Ventus Black 7X

Cobra F9 - Ventus Black 8X

Ping Rapture Driving Iron - Ventus Black 9TX

Srixon ZU85 (4) - Tour AD 105X

Srixon ZX7 - (5-AW) - LAGP L Series Stiff

Callaway 2019 PM Grind (54&58) - LAGP L Series WV

Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2010 - LAGP 135

I had 3 rounds this past week. Brand new irons so I wanted to stretch them out.

Round 1- Par three near my work. As I walked up to the club house a coworker was walking out to tee off on 1. We played together and walked. Both of us were trying out new sticks to the conversations was minimal. Just what we were thinking and feeling for each hole.

Round 2- Private community golf course with 3 others. Carts. Co workers. Drinks. Gambling. I still haven't gotten the $10 I'm owed. Had a 1 inch from a hole in one. Got frustrated with slow play and my constant awareness of the others VS the others slow play. It kinda sucked but was fun competing.

Round 3- Showed up alone and decided to walk a 7K yard course. Tee'd off solo. Hole 2 had to wait for a group in the fairway and watched as another solo walker made his way up 1. I tee'd off and waited for him. I waived him up to join me. He got it right away that 2 walkers could sync up better behind 4 riders than either of us solo. The group in front was 4 riders and not great. He and I, despite different HCP's, played equally. He claimed a 12 and I was a 15. I definitely out shot him. We had minimal communication during the round. A little chatter on the box and the few times we were in the fairway together waiting.

All that said, I prefer to walk and carry, and prefer to play alone. As a 15 I shot an 83 on a course and t boxes way too long for me. He jokingly accused me of sandbagging my HCP. New putter, I sank everything from 7 feet. I seriously almost could have gotten away with wearing my earbuds during the round.

I play solo most of the time because I only have a couple of golf buddies and they don't play often enough for me. I generally don't mind playing paired up with strangers, especially if it's fairly crowded. But if it's not crowded and I show up solo I would much rather play by myself. I put my earbuds in, dial up some tunes or sports talk and get going.

Prior to coming back to golf I did a lot of hiking and solo walking. So this is the same except I get to play golf too!

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

I enjoy playing with others, but play alone if it is the only option. When I do play alone I challenge myself. I have two different things in mind when playing alone: 1) testing my skill level, or 2) practicing. In the former case I play one ball only for the entire round and focus on scoring. In the latter case I will work on one or more weaknesses, mostly around the green.

I enjoy playing with my regular golf buddies and I have had some good experiences showing up as a single and playing with strangers. That said I also enjoy the solitude of playing as a single. I walked 9 holes on a Friday morning as a single, with the front 9 closed due to renovations the course wasn't too crowded and a foursome and twosome let me play through. When I came off of #18 I checked the time on my receipt and the time on my phone and I realized I had played in 71 minutes. I need to slow down .

There's an app that helps golfers find each other called Deemples. They have been going on in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, but recently (2 weeks ago) started in Melbourne. Can get it from the app stores. Super new, so not a lot of games happening yet, but perhaps post some games and see what happens? They seem to be giving out incentives for golfers to share it too, $10 for every person you golf with on the app. Details of that incentive here: https://link.deemples.com/bestjob

• 2 weeks later...

I love playing by myself because I tend to be more focused on my game. I do like having at least 1 playing partner though so we can talk through the round. After 4 hours, and if the players you are paired with are quiet it makes for a longer round. I tend to play with a buddy of mine and we have a similar game. We throw individual bets in through out the round and we have kids and love the game and our club hoing.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I love playing alone, especially, if the course isn't packed. I can really take my time on each shot and even play a few balls to practice from a certain distance. But there's nothing like playing with a good group of friends especially friends who enjoy the sport of golf as much as you do. I used to play with a friend who's taught putting clinics for years and another friend who is a pro instructor so I get incredible feedback from these guys during rounds which ultimately make me a better player. That being said, those guys have babies now so it's been quite awhile since I've played with them. I don't have a ton of friends that play so now I play with my Dentist of all people. He tops the ball at least once a hole, has a cringe worthy swing, won't listen to my advice, and consistently misses the putt long by at least 12 feet. But that's ok, I'm just glad to be out playing the greatest sport in the world! lol

• Like 1

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I prefer solo, and actually I enjoy being behind a slow group of 4. Usually play 3 balls and drop a few extra @ 150. If I still need more time I practice putting. Sometimes a group will come up behind me, and I feel a little sheepish putting a few extra minutes when they are waiting for me to leave the green, but if they arnt waiting in the fairway they will be waiting on the tee box... some ppl dont get that though.

I am that dude. I like going out late in the afternoon when the sun is going down as I am finishing. There is usually no one around - this is especially true in Florida during football season if a college or pro game is on. I enjoy the nature, water, birds, ducks on the water, Florida water birds including storks and other animals. You get to concentrate on playing.

You don't have to worry about stupid banter or making conversation. I started playing with some neighbors which is okay. They are nice guys and due to Covid - 1 person per cart which makes it better.

I do not dislike people - I just like golf and a nice course plus the whole nature aspect. It is very peaceful.

We have a regular group who plays every Sunday AM, it's a lot of fun.

I also enjoy going out late in the day, solo, playing 2 or 3 balls a whole and being 'one with nature and the course', it's very peaceful and enjoyable.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

My girlfriend practices hardcore yoga, yet reflexively throws shade at me for sneaking out to the golf course for a late, solo nine. I never really put words to it until recently, but golfing alone is my "practice" -- it's part focus, part technique, part meditation, etc. That metaphor didn't land as well as I hoped it would ;) But it crystalized for me why I love playing alone, and will trade it over almost any other activity.

TM SLDR 10.5* Motore Speeder 7.3
Ping i20 17* 20*
Ping i20 4-UW cfs
Scratch DS 56* 60* s400
Never Compromise Connoisseur Robusto