Blades and distance

2»

Comments

• sphna12dsphna12d Members  549WRX Points: 136Posts: 549 Golden Tee

I’ve seen multiple reports from sites and on here that the Wilson Staff’s spin a bit less than some other models which could lead to some extra distance. YMMV.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PuffyCPuffyC Members  30WRX Points: 28Posts: 30 Bunkers

Ditto this, I've also heard that the Wilson Staff blades tend to be longer than most. As for the rest, hit a modern blade vs any blade from 40 years ago and you'll quickly learn that there can be quite a bit of difference in spin and distance between two chunks of solid metal.

Posted:
  • Old Tom MorrisOld Tom Morris Members  304WRX Points: 267Handicap: 14Posts: 304 Greens

Set like Ram Tour Grind and Wilson FG-17 are four degrees weaker than modern muscle back sets.

Posted:
  • PuffyCPuffyC Members  30WRX Points: 28Posts: 30 Bunkers

True, there's a solid club's difference in loft between the two, but I'd wager that's because the COG is significantly lower in the new club meaning the actual launch angle will be similar from one to the other.

Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10352WRX Points: 3,551Handicap: 8Posts: 10,352 ClubWRX

If you are playing blades max distance should be the last concern.

it is still a concern, it is just the lowest on the list. That being said, if I had to pick a blade that was above average In distance off good strikes. I would pick the ping blueprints.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7298WRX Points: 1,357Handicap: 7Posts: 7,298 Titanium Tees

I'm afraid it's not the case, it's just marketing BS. CGs tend to be all over the place, but the super high CG blades tend to be considerably farther in the past than sets like FG-17s or Golden Rams.

A few CG examples: Wilson 78 Tour Blades, .778; FG Tour 100, .828; Ram TG-898, .778; Mizuno MP-11, .771; MP-14, .687; MP-33, .718; MP-4, .762; MP-18, .849...

The "low CG requiring lower lofts" is largely a myth. Aside from the above, several posts on WRX from Tom Wishon on the subject.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PedronNiallPedronNiall Members  2183WRX Points: 136Posts: 2,183 Platinum Tees

If you skip to where I mentioned in the video I linked on page one that's what was seen. The newest Wilson Staff Model blades had the highest average ball speed and carry distance and lowest average backspin.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.