Brand new spider x sits extremely closed

Jlb123 ·  
Jlb123Jlb123 Members  743WRX Points: 41Handicap: 9Posts: 743 Golden Tee

Just received a brand new spider x single bend direct from taylormade and when i sole the putter it closes the face really bad. Any ideas?

Posted:

Comments

• MaximilianMaximilian Members  1511WRX Points: 307Posts: 1,511 Platinum Tees

Take it to someone that can check the loft. Just like with woods, if you increase the loft, the head will turn closed. It's very common for a putter (of any brand) to come with too much or too little loft, and I'm sure this is what happened to your putter. If you have someone bend it back to the standard 3* loft, it will most likely sit flat.

Bending a putter only takes seconds, but not every shop will have a loft/lie machine for putters, so you may want to call around first. Good luck!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12 Members  3141WRX Points: 249Posts: 3,141 Titanium Tees

I would bet the shaft was installed wrong or turned ever so slightly while epoxy was drying at the factory. Altering a bent shaft in any way will change how the putter soles...if it rotates one way the putter will sit closed, rotates the other and it will sit open.

Josh

Posted:
  • Pete O'TubePete O'Tube Members  397WRX Points: 125Handicap: 6Posts: 397 Greens

A couple of years ago a friend bought a TM Spider. It looked shut on address so he took it back to the pro. TM replaced it without comment and the new putter sat square.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R
    Mizuno ST190 TS 3W Fujikura Atmos 6R
    Ping G10 18 deg Hybrid Reg
    4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g Reg
    7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g Reg
    53.08 Vokey SM5
    56.08 Vokey SM5
    Ping Anser (Since 1959)

• RH82RH82 Alberta, CanadaMembers  2353WRX Points: 241Posts: 2,353 Platinum Tees

I would rather return it instead of having someone mess around bending it.

Posted:

Taylormade M2 (10.5*)

TEE CBX (16.5*)

Callaway Apex (20*)

Srixon Z 785 (4-6) Z-Forged (7-PW)

Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)

Taylormade Spider X

• Jlb123Jlb123 Members  743WRX Points: 41Handicap: 9Posts: 743 Golden Tee

Yea its still wrapped in plastic I don’t feel like I should have to mess with bending it and it does seem like the shaft twisted bc the grip does not line up either.

Posted:
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members  1511WRX Points: 307Posts: 1,511 Platinum Tees

If you can return it for another one, great. I'm not arguing with that. But just for the sake of discussion I would just like to underline that bending a putter probably sounds worse than it is. Maybe I should have said adjust instead. Either way It's an absolute non-issue. Putters are just like all the other clubs in your bag, it's rare that any new club comes off the rack with the stated loft and lie. You almost always have to adjust them a little bit (sometimes a lot). I have my own putter loft/lie machine and have adjusted tons of putter over the years and like I said before, it's a very easy thing to do and literally takes seconds.

Anyways, hope you get it sorted out!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BrianM18BrianM18 Members  94WRX Points: 57Posts: 94 Fairways

i actually just got a spider mini and it sits open , i sent some pics of it to a TM warranty link i got from a person in their chat feature last night and today i received a fed ex label and shipping info for it to be sent in to be corrected.

Posted:
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  341WRX Points: 150Handicap: 14Posts: 341 Greens

Either a mess up by manufacturer or its sitting closed to you only? I just got the copper with white fill spider x and it seems all square to me. Could just be a fault at manufacturer. Send in for new one i wouldnt mess with bending either. Btw what a putter! Im a all callaway guy but you cant ignore how amazing taylor mades spiders have been.

Posted:
  • ryoustra5ryoustra5 Members  14WRX Points: 17Handicap: 3Posts: 14 Bunkers

TM Spider putters are usually very inconsistent in stores, often times closed, open and sometimes the lofts vary; however, when you find the right one it is money. I have had great success with TM customer service so I have no doubt you will as well. That likely the best bet, return or exchange. Id say go to your local B&M golf shop can compare, however,its likely closed due to COVID

Posted:
  • BrianM18BrianM18 Members  94WRX Points: 57Posts: 94 Fairways

my putter is at a fed ex warehouse in CA until 4/10 , they tried to deliver it to TM yesterday but they were closed, so this might make it back to me or might not. Its just a putter there is bigger issues.

Posted:
  • Polly509109Polly509109 Members  41WRX Points: 18Posts: 41 Bunkers

Had an issue w my Spider X sitting open about 30 degrees. Called TM customer service. They sent out a new putter w a return label for the defective putter!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BigArse33BigArse33 Members  11WRX Points: 10Posts: 11 Bunkers

I just purchased one and did not have this issue. I have heard of other that have experienced this before tho. Easy fix

Posted:
  • Jlb123Jlb123 Members  743WRX Points: 41Handicap: 9Posts: 743 Golden Tee

Taylormade was great and sent a replacement that is perfect along with a dozen tp5s!!!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.