2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

It definitely was when I played in it three years ago. Brian?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 2 weeks later...

Currently trying to organise my year in terms of Golf (the older I get, the more I like to be organised). I have a few tournaments already in the diary but the one that I have marked in my diary in capital letters is the Scottish North District Championship. This year it is on 31st May and it is a 36 hole competition at Royal Dornoch. The entry forms are not available yet but I have turned on notifications from the District Facebook page for when they post them up so I can get it downloaded and in.

The District Championship is only open to members of clubs in that District. The entry fee is £25 which is $32 on the exchange rate and that gets a practice round on either the Friday or the Saturday and then two rounds of the competition on the Sunday. Three rounds of golf at Royal Dornoch for $32...I am down for that!!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Good lord, what a price.

we pay $125+ here in California for 2-round events. And no practice rounds.

Incredible!! Played in a comp for fun at Kilmarnock (Barassie) last summer - 20 pounds - a fraction of regular green fee and two really fun fellow competitors. I'll just say I finished in the upper 2/3 of the net competition (or bottom half, haha) and nobody accused me of sandbagging based on my score, lol, but had an awesome time.

• Like 1

Got to love the Open competitions that we get in here, as you say, the cost of playing them is a fraction of the cost of a regular tee time. If you don’t mind playing in a competition without having much experience of the course, it is an awesome way to get out and about and get the chance to play some amazing courses. I have a few others on the horizon as well that I will almost certainly get booked into when they open up. Nairn, Moray and Castle Stuart included.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

It's the same here in Germany. Our International Senior Amateur cost 50 Euros, including Practice round, welcome dinner the night before the first round, drinks included, and 3 days of tournament golf, with water and snacks for the 3 days included.

Our state Senior Amateur is free, but without all the extras. Practice round and 2 days of tournament play on one of the best courses in the area.

Then we have all of our state and national level league play in 3 different age categories. Adds up to at least 15 tournaments a year for a senior that also plays in the younger category leagues. All free. The only cost is that we all pitch in to make sure we provide a nice dinner after the league play at our own club for all participants.

Southern California Team Play started last week. I've switched clubs, so playing with a brand new set of guys. This version of team play is net (there's a "Scratch Team Play" in the fall), but the low guys are always paired with the other teams' low guys, so I'm usually not giving up too many strokes (and sometimes I even get a stroke or two!).

In SoCal Team Play, each group is a foursome, with each player playing one individual match and a concurrent team, better-ball of partners match. I played well week one, as did my partner. I played to a +2 and my partner to a 2, so I was giving 4 strokes. Closed my guy out 6 and 5 and was 3-under at the time. We won the team one hole later and then my partner was 5-under when he closed out his guy on the next hole. Results here: https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/2335116.

Tomorrow we are at Hacienda, which is one of my favorite courses in SoCal. Looking forward to it. Hopefully I bring my A-game. :-)

• Like 1

Back is pretty good. Take one Tramadol now a couple hours before I play. Feel pretty darn good. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I hope it’s ok if I jump in on this thread as well? I’m planning to get back in to some half decent competitive golf this year following a long time away from it

A bit of back ground – I stopped playing golf in my early twenties, I was just starting to play some decent golf, knocked it around under par in a few decent amateur events and was finally starting to make a bit of progress. At the same time I applied for the police & got accepted, shift work putting a stop to any golf. Fast forward 8 years, I’ve seen enough things to last a lifetime and started a new career affording me the time to get back in to golf.

Having been playing again socially for the last year & had a few lessons fortunately my game isn’t a million miles away from where I was before so I’ve joined a club and the first step is to actually get a handicap and take it from there

I’ve always been a good ball striker, my weaknesses were always the mental side of golf – getting frustrated, nervous, afraid of a good score etc

The book ‘golf is not a game of perfect’ is feeling like a bit of a bible now and I’m going to try as hard as possible to implement some of the ideas when playing

I’m also considering using either the golf metrics or Decade apps to identify weaknesses and areas for improvement although having never used either I’d be interested in hearing your experiences with both?

Sorry for the long post – hopefully I can join you guys in posting some half decent scores this year!

• Like 2

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Welcome man. The mental side will always be difficult. I'd recommend picking up Mike Lardon's book as well. "Mastering Golf's Mental Game." Pretty easy read and similar in the story time feel of "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect", but also includes Lardon's "Mental Scorecard." This is something that Scott Fawcett likes you to use in your rounds while using DECADE.

Scott also launched "Decade Foundations" recently. I'm a Decade "elite" subscriber, so I've started watching the foundations videos as well. There's a thread on this forum somewhere about Decade. I'll go find it and link you.

eta: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1488212/decade-by-birdiefire/p1

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Shades, interesting stuff!

Golf metrics has a 5 day free trial period so in the first instance I'll give that a go and see what it's like but the more I read about decade though the more it seems worth it!

Even just following him on twitter and listening to some of his you tube videos have been helpful, imposing the driving cone over holes on Google maps has been quite revealing - it identifies driving options you probably wouldn't consider without it

For me mentally it's so much a case of 'getting out of my own way'. If I could take a more care free & relaxed attitude to the course it would change my game, I'll have a read through Mastering golfs mental game as well.... you guys will make a golfer out of me yet ;)

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Wow, can't wait for this one. Just signed up for the Trans-Miss Mid-Master (40+) and Senior (55+) at Hacienda GC in La Habra Heights, CA (just outside of Los Angeles) in May. This thing is nearly full already. If any of you want to play against a top field of 40+ year olds at a great venue in California, this is your chance. Already a bunch of solid players from outside of California including Brady Exber, Mike Booker, Gene Elliott, Craig Hurlbert et al. Top California players like Dan Sullivan, Robert Funk, Randy Haag, et al. also in the field.

Here's the sign-up if you want to apply: https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/5902641134793930336

1.Oas, David

2.Booker, Michael

3.Goolsby, Rick

4.Heyward, Danny

5.Adams, George

6.Doebler, Rick

7.Williams, Wendell

8.Harding, Mark

9.Morrison, Rich

10.Hutton, Jerry

11.Hurlbert, Craig

12.Pate, John

13.Park, Geoff

14.Reese, Rex

15.Dante, Matt

16.Ream, Jim

17.Calkins, Craig

18.Brown, Keith

19.Sheff, Dave

20.Brame, Grady

21.Mitchell, Murphy

22.Connolly, Joe

23.Saivar, James

24.Shlemmer, Rick

25.Sanders, Greg

26.Chester, Donald

27.Hoffman, Fred

28.White, Dale

29.Funk, Robert

30.Sandlin, Lee

31.Noonan, Ken

32.Crockett, Dan

33.Caiazzo, Tony

34.Lindberg, Mark

35.Du Pont, Mark

36.Simonin, Rich

37.Martin, Boyd

38.Martin, Dennis

39.Crabtree, Gary

40.Jordan, Paul

41.Easterlin, Bob

42.McClure, John

43.Bock, Nicholas

44.Brasfield, Cullen

45.Rohan, Patrick

46.Wooding, David

47.Miyamoto, Craig

48.Greenbaum, Greg

49.Jordan, Robert

50.Nelson, Corliss

51.Bearrie, John

52.Rizzo, Phil

53.Haag, Randy

54.Tolly, Rich

55.Brammer, Bill

56.Huckin, bill

57.Field, Lawrence

58.Lawrence, Thomas

59.Martin, Houston

60.Thompson, Rob

61.Hillier, Todd

62.Lohner, Mike

63.Sullivan, Daniel

64.Mahoney, Michael

65.George, Rick

66.Coffman, Henry

67.Dubois, Donald

68.Brennan, Tommy

69.Delich, David

70.Cvengros, William

71.Turner, Ed

72.Sivadge, Daniel

73.Boyd, Sam

74.Jones, Michael

75.Lehman, Jim

76.Rowley, Mike

77.Kinsel, Keith

78.Elliott, Gene

79.Miller, Mark

80.Forbes, Bryan

81.Eklund, Don

82.Miller, Mark1

83.Lebowitz, David

84.Walsh, Gene

85.Temple, Marty

86.Mance, Mark

87.Staskus, Mike

88.McKee, Thomas

89.Durbin, Gary

90.Manwaring, Mark

91.Rice, Paul

92.Hamilton, William

93.Ober, David

94.Carrigan, Patrick

95.Heath, Mike

96.Robin, Michael

97.Morgan, Mark

98.Hopton-Jones, Doug

99.Cohen, Victor

100.Nunez, Larry

101.Wlodkowski, Pete

102.Taylor, Christopher

103.Brooks, Ed

104.Frost, Kory

Pending Groups1.Bradbury, Robin

2.Exber, Brady

3.Nelson, David

4.Hopkins, Greg

5.Fuller, Kim

6.Robertson, Andy

7.Zarcaro, Michael

8.Punto, Nick

9.Stuart, Michael

10.Palmer, Joe

11.Griggs, Chris

• Like 1

Nice one Obee - looks like a fun one. I sadly can't be traveling to California to play golf at this point, so will have to pass.

Entries open up for Met area events on Saturday. I have a good few in my sights. The Met Mid-Am this year is at Somerset Hills. Have to qualify for that. Three goes. A few others at courses I don't know/haven't played, so will be adding to my tally of courses played this year.

I'm also thinking about entering the US Open this year. The local qualifier is at a course I want to play (North Shore Country Club on Long Island). Would be so much fun to get through. Three good rounds and hey presto, Winged Foot here I come! And back to the real world again. Met Amateur is at Bethpage Black this year. I played in a 36 hole tournament there last year and they used the pin placements from Thursday and Friday at the PGA. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that for the Met Am this year. That would be a lot of fun too. Otherwise just the usual stuff.

Good luck to everyone else for 2020. Gonna be a good year! I can feel it!

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Got an email from the TGA ( TN Golf Association) about a new "One Day Series". Signed up for it. Haven't hit a ball until today at the range since October. Playing Vanderbilt Legends South. I'll be lucky to get in another range session before 3/9 due to the weather. Best $75 to play a sweet track regardless of what I fire. GHIN shows me at 5.1 but I get 8 out there (I think). First tournament for me, ever. At 42 years old, might as well see what I have.

Registered for the Ohio Public Golf Association Mid-Am, June 6-7. 36-holes at Apple Valley Golf Club in Howard, OH.

Likely going to trying qualifying for the USGA Mid-Am as well, debating between which course I want to play (two of the qualifiers are within an hour or so drive).

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

2020 schedule was recently released for the Pennsylvania Golf Association and the Golf Association of Philadelphia. Some extremely nice courses this year and while I'm upset I wont be able to play courses like Oakmont for the PA Open, Fox Chapel for the PA amateur, Huntingdon Valley for the Mid-Am, and more for GAP, it's for a good reason. In September I will be getting married and using all of my vacation time on a honeymoon trip to Hawaii!!!

What I refuse to skip, though, is the US Open qualifier. So this year I will be qualifying at Elmhurst CC, which is a course I know very well and have a lot of success at. I play in their member guest every year and have won a tournament there. Will be more pressure than normal knowing it will be my only big individual event of the year.

Also taking a year off from my golf membership to save for the wedding so I'm still unsure as to how I'm going to practice without paying a ton of money for range balls.

Just entered US Open for this year. Three good rounds... Also entered a whole heap of local events. I have 8 things lined up so far. First individual one is end of next month, with the local qualifier for the US Open the following week.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Update

Finished T8 in Gross and T5 (out of 31) in Net in the Mens Upper bracket which is 7.9 index and lower. Whole bunch of things were against me yesterday and everyone else for that matter. Champions Bermuda greens were cut and rolled. In middle Tennessee that equals very fast, but smooth surfaces. Chilly damp wind was awful. Steady 15mph with 20-25 gusts out of the south. Course runs mainly west to east and north to south so the wind was easy to detect but not easy for me to pick the right club. Like normal my ball striking didn't show up until the second nine holes. Had a few iron shots come up woefully short on bad club pulled vs wind. Hit 8 iron into a cross wind and you would have thought it had helium in it. Spun up to about apex and just fell out of the sky. Hit driver then 6 iron from 196 into a downwind par 5. Few holes later hit a stinger 3 iron into the wind on a downhill par 3 at 194 yards.

Not a bad first and maybe last tournament. The first few holes I was nervous. The other 3 I played with were great. Seemed like a weekend round once I settled down. What was the strangest was playing a round with 3 other "players". We all had the same handicap for the tournament. My normal Sunday morning group fire in the 90's on a good day.

6a00146f-7a51-476b-aa6f-fa149063e75e.pngDear Florida Golfer,

Due to the ongoing developments resulting from the Coronavirus, the FSGA has suspended all scheduled competitions and events through April 26. 

The health and safety of everyone is of utmost importance. We thank you for your patience and support during this unprecedented time.

As this situation progresses, we will provide updates on how long operations will remain suspended and inform you of any events that are rescheduled.

We encourage everyone to take all possible precautions to remain safe as we work through this challenging time.

Additionally, please support the staff at your club as they deal with the challenging decisions that they must make for the safety of your community.

Thank you for your support of golf. 

Kind Regards,

Florida State Golf Association

I got full permission from the lady to play a season like I used to when I tried to do this game for a living, so I was super excited until the corona hit!

So far its been a fun one with the Pine Needles Invitational with a buddy, and then around 9 invitationals, state am, state open, US and state mid am planned for the rest of this year.

Last year was solid, two firsts, a fifth and a ninth in the four tournaments I played, and it was nice to get the itch to compete back! I forgot how much I missed it!

• Like 1

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

• 3 months later...

Hopefully everyone has been playing, and that's why this thread has died off.

Was hoping some of the better players here wouldn't mind sharing some insight on the following: What kind of mental breakthroughs, changes in thinking, thought processes, attitudes etc etc etc....are needed, or did you use or experience to go from a a mid-70s player, occasionally shooting low 70s, to someone who is usually at or below par and going into the 60s with regularity?