Directed Force...who still likes it?

ferrispgm

I am a newbie as I just got my Blad2 DF a couple of weeks ago. I have played one 9 hole round, and practiced with it a number of times thus far both indoor and outdoor. I am definitely in the honeymoon period as I love it so far. You definitely have to hit this one in the center of the face as off center strikes do not feel as solid and sharp.

I had 15 putts on my 9 hole round, 5 GIR, all birdie putts were over 20', all pars and one bogey. The best part was that I made 3 putts to get up and down from 4-5' on 3 holes. Those are the putts I have been looking for improvement on so I was excited about making those.

Time will tell after playing a number of rounds, but so far I am a fan. I plan on playing it all year which should give me some good stats to compare.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

B.2 blade is not expected to be as forgiving as the 2.1 mallet -- They did their best, but just the design parameters of a blade don't allow as much as can be done on a mallet in that regard.

I am waiting (somewhat patiently) for my B.2 to be delivered, so I can compare it to my current Reno 2.1T. Oh who am I kidding, hurry up and get here!

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Don't get me wrong, I think MOI is somewhat over-rated on putters.

But has anyone actually tested the MOI of these putters? Not just that you tried it and found it "forgiving" but actually tested it. What's the number?

Because I have been looking into these more since the B2 came out, but the way the shaft goes into the center of the head and the head spins very freely and easily around the shaft makes me think the MOI is actually really low. Doesn't seem like there would be much resistance to twisting at all.

I got one of the factory seconds from the bay (which were already boxed up and ready to ship, per my correspondence with them); and amazingly it was delivered via UPS Ground THE NEXT DAY. SF Bay Area reasonably close to Reno, NV, but the initial shipping info was given as 5 to 7 days, and instead it took TWO. Stoked to get it. Now just have to start feeling better and have the shelter-in-place order lifted so I can go try it.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

Yes, it works GREAT !

Snell - MTB  Black

Here is what Sam Hahn (CEO of L.A.B. Golf) answered in the Q&A session earlier this week on Golf WRX:

We are finding that for avid golfers, the remote fitting is actually MORE accurate. We have had no issues at all with the remote fitting and a handful with in person fittings. The Fitting instrument for in person is great but a lot of times when people are under the pressure of time for the fitting itself, they start to "chase" and question their own set up. With the remote fitting, you are in your own home with your own putter. If we see anything egregious, we get in contact and have you shoot another video but this is rare.

Snell - MTB  Black

Not sure I understand the physics of your question. If you are essentially hitting the ball with the end of the shaft (center-shafted) wouldn't that be the most stable way to hit a ball? Mounting a shaft further away from that midpoint inherently creates torque, does it not?

Snell - MTB  Black

I heard at the 3 week mark that mine was done and would be shipped. I received it about 4 days later in the Midwest.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

I did the remote fitting and am very satisfied with the fitting. Sent in the video, he thought my specs were high in lie angle and he wanted a better view of the putter shaft. Or shot the video and sent in and we settled on 76 degree upright at 37” for my set up.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

I did the online fitting for my first one and exchanged some emails with Bill at the time. It worked perfectly for me.

If you can find one to try I strongly suggest it.

I committed to it for the entire 2017 season and used it and really, really liked it. Had the "Reno" now called the DF. Then for 2018 got a Reno 2.1. The only thing that I didn't like over time was the cheapo grip and I see the grips now are a ton nicer, IMO. Still, regular playing companions would tell me they didn't think I was putting as well as I had with my previous putter, but I sure thought I was.

That being said, my love affair lasted only until June of 2018. I started falling out of love on our trip to Scotland that summer and on slower greens, for me, started having some issues with speed and feel when hitting the aluminum head on long putts especially (probably all my fault, btw). One of the caddies loved it. Another one called it a "space machine", lol. Shortly after I got back I was killing time at a golf store in Des Moines and trying all the new putters out that summer and didn't like any of them, then saw a deeply discounted Odyssey Milled RSX V Line Fang in a corner and started hitting putts with it and it fit perfectly and I was making everything. Bought it. Hit with the DF and the Odyssey on a green and haven't hit a putt with either of my DFs since, but they are still lounging around here somewhere doing pretty much nothing (like me this weekend). For whatever reason, my putting overall improved quite a bit when I switched (honeymoon period I figured and that season was cut short with elbow issues), but last summer was best I've putted in a long, long time so for now (!) I've found another "forever" putter.

Agree, those guys really get in to the weeds on a discussion. Interestingly, they normally do not like center shafted putters but they really liked the measurable results they were seeing in their test

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

Anyone have both the mallet and blade? Is there a standout you have for any reason? Also I know the forgiveness of the blade is less than the mallet but what is the blade forgiveness vs any other OTR mallet?

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

This^

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

That's what I figured with the ball position most probably don't notice anything behind the shaft on the mallet.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I got a DF 2.1 in January. I did a remote fitting and I like what I see so far. I like the roll I get from it and have not had a problem with distance control.

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

• 2 weeks later...

DF newbie here. My co-worker picked one up a couple weeks ago and his first round out was one of the most incredible putting displays I've ever seen. Being an Edel disciple of sorts I had to roll his DF on the practice green after the round and I was blown away at the feel, alignment and how well the putts stayed on line. That's not to say I don't love my Edel or that it doesn't perform well for me but the DF almost seemed like cheating. Figured I had to try one for myself to see if this thing really works or not.

I ended up with a 34" long, 69* lie angle redhead! I haven't seen the course yet but will get in a couple rounds this week. Just on the practice green in the garage I can already see how this thing holds the line with ease, though.

I average 33-34 putts per round on average so if I can shave off 2-3 per round I'll label this a success.

Anyone find a trick to get speed down? That is what led me away from the first one I had(Reno 2.1). I believe in the tech and am looking at the Blad now to try them again.

Being a lefty I didnt like the grip (lack of) options for me as a P2/Flat cat fan. So the Blad would allow me to use the P2 grip since the shaft offset is so minimal

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Online fitting is very good, I sent my video in and they had questions and asked me to send a second video, Matt and Sam from L.A.B. Gave me a call and we discussed, absolutely great customer service. They definitely got my fitting correct.

Years ago I had the original DF Reno and didn’t care for it at all, decided to give it a try again, I have the DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour Shaft and love the putter, it took a little practice to get the speed down w/ putter, but I’m glad I have gave DF another shot, putting very well with it, I have had the putter for a month. A week ago, I also ordered the DF Blade 2 With the BGT Stability Tour shaft and am looking forward to testing it out against my DF 2.1 Mallet. The DF 2.1 definitely feels better in my opinion that the original DF Reno.

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

I love the shaft! I live close to BGT headquarters and have been there twice to be fit and tested on Quintic. I am a big believer in the technology, both from L.A.B. Golf and especially BGT. This has been the best combination putter/shaft I have ever had. I have noticed a considerable improvement in my putting since going to the 2.1 w/ stability tour shaft, especially inside 10 ft.

• Like 1

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

Anyone compare a B2 with a Seemore MFGP?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Being center-shafted, they would likely have less inherent torque than a heel-shafted putter, but I don't believe they are specifically lie angle balanced.

Snell - MTB  Black

• 2 weeks later...

So now that you've had your DF for about 5 weeks, what do you think? Make you want to throw rocks at your Edel?

Snell - MTB  Black