Graphite Iron Shafts

41NAS

Good info from our posters. Two brands I know best are Recoil and SteelFiber.

SteelFiber a bit more robust of the two. In irons I have tried, the FC80 in TM M6 irons seemed to work best. I tried the i95 and i110 in sets of used Bridgestones. Shafts felt smooth, but I lost about 15 yards in distance compared to other irons.

That said, I put a SF.780 hybrid shaft (75 grams, R softstepped) in my 4i. Can now hit it off fairway from good lie, not just as a driving iron.

I've hit the Recoil 95 R and S in several test iterations of Callaway irons (Apex, Steelhead and Steelhead Pro, Rogue and Rogue Pro), and in past it seemed to be in my shaft zone.

PX Catalyst variants (55, 65, and 75 gram versions) are showing up in Callaway Mavrik family... 65 and 75 seem to have excellent balance and solid feel for a lighter shaft.

General idea from fitters: It's rough to find a graphite shaft that matches a steel iron shaft. Graphites feel different from steel, and you just have to try them out.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have tried them all and landed on the Accra. They are just so smooth feeling but give a nice mid ball flight. FYI I am usually a high ball hitter with irons. I'm a digger/ trapper. 50 years old driver swing speed 105 hit 8 iron 155. I play to around a 5 handicap am getting ready to get new irons and will be pulling my Accra I-series out of my Srixons. I can't say enough about the feel and consistency I get from the Accra.

• Like 2

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

All the good comments here between major brands...I want to spend an hour or so trying out a few now :) I practice a lot and turning 47 this year...can feel a bit of elbow pain. Accras are in my backup set but I got them used and they came along with it (lucky me) and its a lovely shaft with solid feel that is not gonna hook on you: what a good shaft. Also a pricey shaft :)

The cw SF's are very interesting to me, along with the FC if its a bit softer. SS 105 tops, so I am in the S range for steel but not really an S+ speed player if the SF's play firm.

I have enjoyed the KBS FLT 120's in my P770s the last few years, but given my joy of trying to get better...perhaps its time to get some graphite in these puppies.

Offering something that could be of help. This is the Wishon Shaft profile data for DGS300/S400, KBS Tour stiff, and the stiff flex SteelFibers. I threw the RIP Tour 115 regular flex in there for the heck of it. I don't have any Recoil data saved.

You'll notice the Steelfibers are somewhat similar to DG, though the bottom half is stiffer. The low reading for the 36" beam length of the RIP Tour is likely due (IMHO) to the shorter raw length of that shaft, they wouldn't have been able to get a full 5" clamped when taking the 36" reading.

The i95 is fairly close to DGS400.

APWG1C1WALNJ.png

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I didn't read the whole thread, just the first few comments so I apologize if you have already made your decision. I have been in the industry for about 16 years now and have toyed with everything from dynamic gold to some more obscure beasts like Shimada, and everything in between. I have always gravitated back to graphite. In 2011/2012 I installed a set of Graphite Design GAT 95s that I picked up for $50 into a set of MacGregor irons and LOVED them. They were perfect in my opinion, "stiff" enough for my at the time 92mph swing speed/125 ball speed (6i). They felt a lot like a PXi 6.0, KBS Tour, C-Taper Lite...not overly heavy, but stable. I didn't notice any sort of spin issues with either ballooning or stopping power, the flight was fine.

After a quick reshaft into some new heads, the big box store drilled through the wall of my 6i and they replaced it with a Steelfiber 110 CW. Not my first choice as I loved the GATs, but they were long out of production by that point and I needed them for an imminent round and the store was out of the 95 SF. Plus I thought that if the Steelfiber was better, I would bite the bullet and get the whole set done (the ho in me emerging). I found the Steelfiber to be super stiff, it was harsh, I had to swing out of my shoes to get it to go anywhere, like maybe 30% of my shots felt "good" when the majority of my GAT shots did. Then the 9i shaft broke on me (3rd time in a head and a steeper swing change so it could have been me, it could have been the install, a bad extraction, who knows). The store was nice enough to reshaft it for me with a pull-out Matrix 95 from an Rsi2 at the time free of charge. That felt a lot like the GAT to the point where apart from the graphics I would be none the wiser if I hadn't of known.

I have since moved into a fitting position where I have literally the shaft world at my fingertips. I have personally owned a set of Fujikura MCI 80s, and they were very smooth but very soft feeling. I have owned a set of Accra 105 ICWT, they were exceptionally stiff (a lot like the SF). In my signature you can see, I now have the Accra i110. The difference between these and the 105 is basically just the 110 is parallel and the 105 is taper, aside from the ~5g weight difference. The 110s I had made like a stiff (effectively SSx1) and these are just as good if not better than the old GATs. The feel on these is insane, I can tell where they are throughout every moment of my swing. This is the first time in my golfing life where I might have launch that is too low as my flight flattened out considerably and I needed to weaken my lofts from traditional player's distance lofts to MP-20/785 lofts, and might even have to weaken a degree more. However, the distance pickup was surprising but not the whole story (about 1/2-3/4 a club loft for loft), the accuracy pickup was. Every shot is exactly where I aim it and the only issue is me on club selection. I had Dynamic Gold 105s in these exact clubs before and didn't love them.

I have also tried in the studio but never played outdoors with: Fuji Pro 75 and 115, Accra 85, 90, 95, 100 (along with the other two I mentioned above that I bought and played outside), Mitsubishi OTi 95 and 105, Mitsubishi MMT 105S, and VA Raijin 85. I played a round with a friends Hot Metal Pros + Catalyst 100s and they too felt like the Accra 105s, heavy and very stiff feeling. I have demoed extensively Recoil 95 from Mizuno, Ping CFS 80, and Recoil 780 (all stock options in most OEMs). I have also demoed extensively back in the day the Recoil 110 stock in the Apex CF16, the RIP Tour 115 from the Adams XTD Forged. I have played a round or two with Recoil 110 in some Nike VPC that I actually quite liked, they did feel noticeably harsher than most of the other shafts here when a bad swing got put on them, like the Steelfiber really. However, decent swings with the Recoil were sort of like the GAT and Accra 110.

Still nothing beats out these SSx1 Accra 110i and the 123i I have in my wedges. The ball feels like it stays on the face over and then just explodes off of them right on line. They feel like the GATs, stable but not stiff, not heavy, but just right (even at the D5-D6 SW I tend to prefer). Spin is fantastic, easily 1 hop and stop. I highly recommend the Accras. The Fuji Pro is also very nice as is the MMT, but since I haven't hit them outdoors I can't comment on flight and all that stuff accurately. Now my swing speed isn't quite what it used to be, that's what an old man's back at the age of 31 will do to you, a lack of playing, and just getting less supple. However, I am still around 90mph with a 6i and I still have a decently strong inside-out move with a bit of a flip before impact (adding loft). So my experience is still relatively uniform over the years.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Wow. This thread has been incredibly insightful. Thanks for everyone taking the time to post their feedback. My elbows are going to really their new life this year. Seems like I need to get serious about swinging this Accra’s.

Hope you and your families are all safe and healthy. Extraordinary times, glad you all took the time to drop in and provide some commentary. Really appreciated.

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

Hi guys

I went from X100, to Ctaper lite 115x , but due to arthritis in my hips and elbows (only 28) I played a set of 95g PX 6.5 graphite in a set of vapor pro combos played them for a few months they were so much easier on the joints but seingweight was in the Cs , I then swapped onto the recoil bandwagon, got the 95 proto, they were a good shaft , played them for a couple of seasons and got good results but sometimes I felt that i could get spinny and sometimes my timing would just go because of the lighter weight.

I am what most people would probably describe as a hitter , deliberate backswing , then aggressive transition from the top, so my current gamers are a set of steelfiber i110cw Stiff , been playing these in my i200/iblade combo , this shaft just works for me , better flight and better dispersion, especially into the wind , it has the exact same crisp pop at impact that I loved about my C taper lites.

Haven't tried any of the accra or fujikura offerings, but for now I'm more than happy with my steelfibers.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

I came from Miuras with Nippon Modus 120 Stiff.

I had to get new stafts because I ruined my elbows last season. I went for a PXG fitting, tried everything but ended up with Accra i80 stiff. Second best for me were the MMTs closely followed by the KBS graphite but I don't like the feel of the KBS. I have only played a few rounds so far but I'm not going back. Shot my lowest round by 6 strokes the first time out. I have gained about 10 yards throughout my irons, dispersion is well improved and my elbows feel beautiful!

Don't overlook the MMT 105 TX. They are actually a 114g shaft even though they say 105. I just put a set in some Z785's and love them. I had played SF 110 and wanted to try something a tad heavier. Tried the OTI, KBS TGI as well and settled on the MMT although the OTI was solid too. MMT's swingweight pretty similar to steel whereas like you said the SF 110 were a bitch to SW.

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

Another vote for Recoils. I switched to graphite a few years back after issues with tennis elbow in each arm in successive years. I was a DGS300/S400 guy for years. I demo'd every graphite shaft out there at the time, and the Recoil Proto 125 F4 was the winner for me. I wasn't crazy about the feel of the Steeffibers, and there was a lot of concern at the time about swingweighting them. I prefer heavier shafts, and the Recoil Proto gave me the closest feel and ball flight to the DG S300/S400. I have those shafts in 2 sets of irons, Miura LH CBs and Bridgestone J15 CB's.

I also have a set of J15 CB's shafted up with the regular Recoil 110 F4 and I like those a lot. The regular Recoil is a different shaft than the Proto - higher ball flight and more spin - I'm nearly 10 yards longer in each club with the 110's vs. the Proto 125 F4, but with higher dispersion. That said, I'm not crazy about the Recoil 110's in the wedges - they just don't feel "heavy" enough to me. I recently ordered new wedges and went with the Proto 125 F4 softstepped in them.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I hope the Vizard IB 60 shafts on my new TW 737V irons are good enough, the deal was too good to pass. Lol.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5* Driver
Taylor Made Stealth 2 16.5* Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids 21* & 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

I’ll throw another one into the mix that should be considered. The Paderson ballistic and there’s a bunch of weight options for you to look at.

My opinion; I didn’t like the feel of the recoils at first but the more I hit them the better I liked them. The steelfiber are a different animal altogether. They’ll likely come off very firm or harsh when most people try them. Most people do better in them when they’re soft stepped or even drop down a flex (especially in the heavier weights). The Paderson ballistic are a slightly higher launching shaft than the aerotech but the feel is much better.

Due to horrible elbows I will never be able to play steel again. FWIW, I am 61 with a Driver SS from 99 to 103 depending on the day.

I have went to a lot of effort to find shafts that fit me and my game. I guess because of availability I have limited my search to Steelfiber and Recoil. I have played at least 10 rounds with : Recoil 110 F4, Recoil 95 Proto F4, Recoil 110 F4, Recoil 95 F4 and F3, Steelfiber i95 S, i95 R, i110 S, and FC90 S.

First, shafts that were too much for me to handle: Both Recoil Proto's (not positive too much but I wanted to feel more load). Steelfiber i95 S and i110 S (except I do play these in wedges and like them).

Second, shafts I felt like were not enough: Recoil F3

The rest:

Steelfiber i95 R: Performance is fine but I don't like the feel. Feels stiff and harsh even though performance is good.

Recoil 95 F4: Good feeling and performing shaft with the right head. Wanted to get a little too much spin and launch with some heads.

Recoil 110 F4: This feels and performs great for my swing. According to Trackman, it also gave optimum numbers to my close friend who plays them. He is 25 years old and has a driver SS of 110. Seems these shafts can fit a pretty wide variety of players.

Steelfiber FC 90 S: These feel softer and load easier than the i95 in regular flex. These may be the best feeling of the bunch to me, but they do want to launch high.

Currently I have shafted Identical irons with the Recoil 110 F4 and the Steelfiber FC 90 Stiff. I was having extensive tryouts until our virus situation came about. I really think both fit me pretty darn well. At this point the Recoil 110 F4 has a small lead in my mind due to a tiny bit lower ball flight with my swing. Final winner is still to be decided.

FWIW, these last two shafts work better for me with lower spin heads with the Bridgestone J15 CB my favorite followed by the Srixon Z785, Srixon Z945, and Srixon Z Forged.

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I am in the midst of making the change to graphite shafts. I am 63 years old, hitter with quick tempo/aggressive transition. Sampled some with lightweight graphite 85 gram irons. Too light for my taste with poor results. Had a fitting at Club Champion and the fitter recommended Steelfiber 110s regular flex. I could try 95 regular and that might work too.

I trialed two sets more recently. One has the Recoil 95 stiff and the other has Steelfiber 95 regular. I found that the Recoil shafts require a smoother transition that I have a hard time doing. The Steelfiber shafts feel more iron-like and I can go after it more. I did try a Steelfiber 95 stiff and yes it is stouter and felt too harsh. So in my testing, I have found out what many others have learned. Aggressive swings will get along better with the Steelfibers and more passive swings are better suited for the Recoils.

I was using dynamic gold s300 for years but due to hand/finger arthritis I had to consider graphite, after exhausting all the other cures (grips, gloves). I have acquired a set with Steelfiber 95 regular and am seeing good results with less arthritis issues.

One thing I’m confident we can all agree on. Graphite is worlds easier on the joints! The last two times I strayed both my left then right elbow almost immediately began to ache. With the quality, feel and consistency of modern graphite there’s a shaft out there that will fit your needs. Might not be easy to find, demo or build but they are definitely out there. I say absolutely no to steel shafts and beating balls off of rock hard range mats.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• 4 weeks later...

I love my steel PX 6.0s. My wrists do not. Since this thread has a ton of experience, I have a couple questions. Which graphite iron shaft is the closest to the PX 6.0? And which graphite iron shaft is the lowest launching in say 95-120 gram weight range and stiff flex? Thanks in advance.

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

I also love the Project X 6.0, but have experienced some real pain in my right elbow of late, and some wrist issues. So I am experimenting with some SF i95 S pulls that I got cheap off Ebay. I just dropped them in my AP2s and will report back. I am a hitter with an aggressive transition, so based on what I have heard here, they should be similar to what I had.

I am older than most here but still posting low-mid 70 rounds. Part of that is due to recently switching from PX 6.0 (120gm) and PX LZ 6.0 to graphite/steel profile shafts and to my surprise, the change was rather seamless. I now play Steelfiber i110cw "S" in 3-PW in 620irons, i125cw "S" in SW/LW and i95cw "S" in 718T-MB 2 iron, and don't see myself going back to steel. As was mentioned by another person, Steelfiber "S" profile suites my aggressive hitter style more than other graphite shafts. Also, so does MMT 105 "S" graphite shafts, they are outstanding as well.

For the longest time I was not convinced graphite anything would hold up to my swing mechanics or talk to my hands, much less the tip section spin the ball the way I like. However, the shafts I mention perform great. I can still stick the ball, spin it back and adjust trajectory from 3' off the deck to moon shots if needed.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

"I started with graphite in my irons when Aldila introduced the NV Tour 130gm shafts in s-flex that played like DGS300's. At 1.5* of torque and 130gms they were a beast. So I was happy when the released the NV Tours at 105 gms, again playing like a lighter DG. There VS Proto 100's played like KBS Tour shafts. I then tried Steelfibers in s-flex but they played like x-flex so I tried Recoil shafts and loved them. Started with 95's, then 110's, then 95 Prototypes (my favorites) and I just installed some Steelfiber i95's r-flex in my 2019 P790's but have not played them yet."

... Since posting the above in mid March I have ordered a set of Titleist T100-S irons with Kuro Kage Tini 105's. Ordered stiff and soft stepped once and looking forward to finding out how they feel and perform compared to my Recoils and Steelfibers.

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Just ordered a set of T100-S (5-PW) with Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95 stiff. Needless to say, haven’t been this excited for a set to arrive in a long time. Fitter at CC says it’s one of the stouter graphite iron shafts they fit, but going to a much lighter weight with a stout profile, feels like I’m going to match up the CTaper Lite S feel that I was fit into but with better feeling on the wrists and elbows, which have driven me to graphite in the first place.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

So I got out and hit about 30 balls with my AP2s that I reshafted yesterday with SF 95i S. I was only able to hit the P, 9, and 8 today because they were put together yesterday afternoon and thus had time to dry properly. No issues at all with the build or performance. I think I picked up about a half club in distance due to the slightly longer length I built them, and the lighter weight shaft. Accuracy is hard to judge, but I don't think they are any worse than the Project X 6.0 that I had in them previously. I actually hit my target pin on the fly with one shot. No elbow pain at all, but this was a limited session. Tomorrow I will test the 6 and 5 after they dry. So far so good, was able to shape the ball either way, and could really step on them with no ill effects. I don't know if I was just swinging well today, but the lighter weight seemed to make it easier to get to a complete follow through, which is something that I have been struggling with of late.

I played PX 6.5’s for years, had a stint with recoils(spun too much) recoil proto(weird feeling, the loading was "off") steelfiber (boardy, even down a flex and then tried them down and soft stepped) my latest stop has been the PX catalyst graphite) early results have been good, but not willing to say I’ve found my replacement yet. I have them in the 100 variety, and have some lead tape on the shafts to get. The swing weight and total weight where I want them.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Question:

Just picked up some P790 (lower spinning head) with 760 ES F3.

The 760 are obviously too light for me. But i tried them anyway. I hit some of the straightest shots i have ever seen. Darts. But everything felt HORRIBLE. like i was hitting rocks, or the toe, or thin. But the flight was great. Distance was the same as my previous gamers (disappointed) DG PRO S300's.

My question is, should i go with a regular recoil (95/110) and due to the head being a low spin design, it should keep them from being too high right? Similar height as these 760 ES F3?

Or do i need to go with a lower spin shaft like recoil proto, catalyst, steelfiber, etc?

I am coming form DG PRO S300 shafts in my nike VPC, and i'm looking for more distance, on a easier swing. I want to have some energy after a round to enjoy a drink or 3. :)

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5

@Pworld - I wasn't familiar with 760 ES F3 shafts so looked them up. As soon as I saw F3 68gm weight, first thought was serious swing weight problem. Going too light for me meant lose of distance and high possibly right floaters, as the weight had me over swinging and I couldn't feel the club heads.
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX