How to find people to play with

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you live? One of the best ways is to join a men's league. You will likely get paired up with allmost everyone throughout the season and walk away with a few golfing buddies.

Around here we have standing games that you can just show up for. If your course has a twilight time just show up 20-30 min before and you will likely meet people that play at that time on that day of the week

You don't have to be lonely... at Golfersonly.com

Seriously though I'm in the same boat. Getting the old foursome together is like putting a man on the moon. I go out as a single a lot and have gotten paired with some great people which is fine for my local track. But I really miss having a group to travel with and play new courses.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

You don't have to be lonely... at Golfersonly.com

Seriously though I'm in the same boat. Getting the old foursome together is like putting a man on the moon. I go out as a single a lot and have gotten paired with some great people which is fine for my local track. But I really miss having a group to travel with and play new courses.

Why not get the phone #s of the people you're paired with? I just played today with a guy I got paired up with at a local course a couple of years ago, and now we probably play 3-4 times a year together.

When I lived in Tucson, I played every Sunday, year round. For a long time I was a single, so I was getting paired up with different twosomes or threesomes every week. After a while I was occasionally getting paired up with guys I'd played with before. Fun, but not a requirement for me to enjoy a round.

One guy I did hit it off with really well. Decent player, good pace-of-play, knew golf etiquette and rules, but wasn't one of those 'true believers' running around with a rule book in his hand. And he liked to walk. :)

We started playing together fairly regularly.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

I'm living in a new area now where I know nobody outside of work, and nobody at work seems to play, so on weekends I end up joining random groups on the tee sheet. Played with one guy who gave me his card after the round and said to give him a shout if I want someone to play with, we went out a couple times but he is just too busy with his family to get out regularly.

Even back in my old town, I played mainly with older guys in their 60s/70s (25-30+ years older than me) that I had randomly met at my old club and we just clicked together based on preferred time of day to play, pace, walking, not taking it too seriously, etc. Wish I could get that sort of thing in my new location.

One suggestion would be that if you get paired with a random person you get along well with, give them your number or email and ask them to contact you if they would like someone to play with. 9 out of 10 probably will never contact you, but 1 is better than 0. Another suggestion would be that if you find a course that has a lot of "regulars" at a certain time of day, you get along with these people, they sometimes have openings in the groups and are friendly towards "outsiders", just start showing up regularly around that time they play.

Title says it all. I don't have many friends who play, and I can never seem to get together with the few that do. My local course doesn't have a lot of people coming through so I nenver get paired up with anyone. I'm just tired of constantly playing alone.

Would help if your profile said where you lived. You might get some WRX'ers who would love to go play. I was/sort of still am in the same boat, as are a fair number of people I think. I joined a golf league, as someone else has already suggested. I can play with a group of guys every week if I want, and I've made a couple golf friends.. If I don't play with them (and I don't play with them much because I'm too busy) I play with my 7 year old after his golf academy. And I have a membership to the muni 4 minutes from my house, so I play a few holes now and then early morning by myself by design. Actually enjoy when I play by myself now because I have all the other options.

Title says it all. I don't have many friends who play, and I can never seem to get together with the few that do. My local course doesn't have a lot of people coming through so I nenver get paired up with anyone. I'm just tired of constantly playing alone.

Would help if your profile said where you lived. You might get some WRX'ers who would love to go play. I was/sort of still am in the same boat, as are a fair number of people I think. I joined a golf league, as someone else has already suggested. I can play with a group of guys every week if I want, and I've made a couple golf friends.. If I don't play with them (and I don't play with them much because I'm too busy) I play with my 7 year old after his golf academy. And I have a membership to the muni 4 minutes from my house, so I play a few holes now and then early morning by myself by design. Actually enjoy when I play by myself now because I have all the other options.

fixed location now visible

Most clubs in my region have a men's association (private clubs and public clubs). You can find a cash game seven days a week. The retirees play Monday through Friday mornings and you get a huge group on the weekends. My town has 4 golf courses and I've joined the men's association at each for years. It beats playing in a league by leaps and bounds.

Fortunately my wife had a customer that invited me to play with his group. I went the first time just to be nice and when we finished everyone said I should come back the next week and I haven’t stopped going for three years. Great group of guys and the wife can’t complain because she hooked me up.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Most clubs in my region have a men's association (private clubs and public clubs). You can find a cash game seven days a week. The retirees play Monday through Friday mornings and you get a huge group on the weekends. My town has 4 golf courses and I've joined the men's association at each for years. It beats playing in a league by leaps and bounds.

What is the difference between a league and an association? I'm in a league now, and thinking of joining the "mens association" at my course next year. But they're exactly the same to me - a group of guys who play once a week (plus some special events) and have a few social events.

What is the difference between a league and an association? I'm in a league now, and thinking of joining the "mens association" at my course next year. But they're exactly the same to me - a group of guys who play once a week (plus some special events) and have a few social events.

This is just my opinion/personal experience of the difference, at least where I have lived:

A league usually has some kind of common affiliation of the players outside the course, and the league was born from that organization; they all work for the same company, belong to the same church, are members of a social club (like private bars in PA), etc. The expectation is usually that you are going to play every week for the duration of the league, which is usually only a couple of months The focus is often more on socializing and drinking beer than competitive golf. The league might change the course it plays every few years.

The associations are usually more affiliated with the course itself and does not change location, a bit more organized/competitive, you don't need to play every week, just pick and choose the events you want to play in. The association's season of events might run for most of the year instead of a few months like a league. Events are usually more on weekends instead of weeknights.

Just have to build up a network that's big enough so that you have someone willing to play at least every other weekend.

You will have to play a handful of rounds by yourself, but between random pairings, reliable partners and experimental one-offs with new acquaintances, you should be able keep a steady schedule.

Sometimes you meet regulars just by flying the flag. If you make a point to mention that you enjoy golf to your friends and co-workers, you'll get those occasional, 'oh, that's cool, I think so-and-so also likes to play' recommendations.

And sometimes you'll be able to meet good people through a playing partner.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I don't know how many golf courses you have in Washington Court House, but there are a few courses around Chillicothe and several near Dayton, so you may have to travel a bit to meet some regular golfers. Weekday evening leagues are a good way to meet golfers at it seems like every golf course has them. Good luck!

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

This is just my opinion/personal experience of the difference, at least where I have lived:

A league usually has some kind of common affiliation of the players outside the course, and the league was born from that organization; they all work for the same company, belong to the same church, are members of a social club (like private bars in PA), etc. The expectation is usually that you are going to play every week for the duration of the league, which is usually only a couple of months The focus is often more on socializing and drinking beer than competitive golf. The league might change the course it plays every few years.

The associations are usually more affiliated with the course itself and does not change location, a bit more organized/competitive, you don't need to play every week, just pick and choose the events you want to play in. The association's season of events might run for most of the year instead of a few months like a league. Events are usually more on weekends instead of weeknights.

I guess my groups are different (opposite) from what you've experienced. The league I play in has a fixed rotation of courses but mixes it up a lot so we can play a lot of different courses. We can pick and choose when we want to play. It's very competitive - strict USGA rules. Many of the guys are single digit handicap.

The association is a group that plays only at the local course. Far fewer single digits, and they play relaxed USGA rules (can move ball in fairway, out of footprints in bunkers, etc).

Both groups play on a weekday. The league plays in the afternoon, and the association in the morning (better for TX summers). And both groups have people that pick and choose when they play. I feel lucky to have both, but they operate about the same. But whatever it's called, I think it's a great way to get out and meet people and golf :)

• 4 months later...

My gang has split up over the years, most have joined clubs but they are all at different ones. I’m not a member at any of them but do get an occasional invite. I recently joined a league but would love to get out more than once a week. To compound things we plan on moving out of the area this year so I will be looking for a game once again.

I can't believe there isn't a golf pairing app..... It would be easy to classify by city/course/handicap, etc.

Great idea!

Thre is. It's called GolfMatch. It isn't very active in my area, but others may have luck. I think 18Birdies may have a match option as well.

GolfMatch got bought out by TopGolf, it no longer exists

• 2 weeks later...

I developed a Golf Friend App for an club/society/Group who wants to use it - It's called MemberMatch and you can search for players by handicap, location, like minded interests etc, You can create games, invite players and groups using push notifications and tons more (we even have a tinder type matching process that finds friends based upon your other interests, playing times, etc) If anyone wants to contact me to use it for their group or club, please get in touch - At the moment you need to be invited by the app group organisers to use it, but it is easy once you are signed up - works on IOS and Android

email me at [email protected]

I suggest speaking with the pro & assistants in the shop. At your private clubs, they'll know the members and can make introductions and get you in groups, etc. At public courses they'll know the "regulars" so should be able to make the appropriate introductions. You just need to ask and express what it is you're looking for.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I'm in same boat...helps a bit now that I am playing GC tour events.

But otherwise, my travel schedule doesn't really allow me to have a "regular" group...and all the guys that I know thru work (or other social means) are 20-25+ Hcaps. I have no problem playing with them for fun, but jeez, I spend my whole round looking for their shots, or prodding them along to keep pace.

I'd also like to do some nice trips - but these guys wouldn't fair well on the courses I want to play either...did just have one of the them refer me to a "friend of a friend" and I'm in on a 12 guy Pinehurst area trip for April. All 5-15 caps...hope will be fun, but I only know 1 guy out of the 11, so you never know how that is going to work out

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

A bit late to this, but we've been using the Deemples golf app in Malaysia/Singapore/Indonesia quite a bit to find games. They just launched recently in Melbourne/VIC area only, and are giving away $10 per person for everyone that you're bringing onto your game. Details here: https://link.deemples.com/bestjob

A bit late to this, but we've been using the Deemples golf app in Malaysia/Singapore/Indonesia quite a bit to find games. They just launched recently in Melbourne/VIC area only, and are giving away $10 per person for everyone that you're bringing onto your game. Details here: https://link.deemples.com/bestjob