2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Walkers and Carts

I played 18 yesterday (in NC) and for the first time in a while I walked. I used to (long time ago) regularly walk with 3 other guys but this is different in that....

1) This was a mixture of walkers and riders

2) This course was not a particularly friendly walking course (lots of long green to tee hikes)

3) Age 70 is different than age 60

Our club is now offering free walking club carts for walkers (now encouraged given Covid19), but I did not use one (see second paragraph below for the reason).

The guys that I was playing with are all older than me, so I am the longest off the tee pretty consistently. Walkers are not necessarily slower than cart riders, but the timing is different. In particular a walker will almost always get to their ball last. But if you are last to hit this is not an issue. Had I been playing with some long young guns, I think that I would have been irritating.

The other thing that could have been a problem (on this course) is that there were several quarter to half mile green to tee hikes on this course. I would have been irritating (or would have felt that way) had they had to wait for me. So on about a half dozen holes I just rode in the back of a cart where a golf bag would normally be (we were a foursome with 3 carts and me walking). FWIW, the five courses that start from the main facility are all quite walkable. It is the 'remote courses' that present some challenges in that regard.

Just curious about other's experiences with walkers and riders together.

dave

ps. I don't know exactly the time, but we were well under four hours yesterday.

Our group of about 18 golfers is mixed almost half and half walkers to riders. Our courses are not favorable to walkers. We usually play in three groups of four. Foursomes are chosen randomly so you usually get a mix of riders and walkers.

The walkers usually jump on the back of a cart when going from green to tee. If they don't, they fall way behind the rest of the group. The biggest problem is walking to the second shot and cart riders are always waiting for walkers to get to their ball.

Regardless, we always play in less than four hours (unless waiting for a slow group). Thursday, we played a fivesome (with two walkers) in 3:20 hours. It helps to not share carts.

Timing can be off a bit but that is what ready golf is for.

We have some guys that insist on walking in our money games and it's not really much of an issue except on certain holes with big hills to climb.

Great thing about walking is that other than on blind shots you can walk straight on the line if your ball so searches don't take long unless it's on the junk.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

This has been a bright side to this. I convinced a guy who’s a bit over weight to order a nice push cart and walk. We had a whole 3groups walking for the first time in a long time and not one complained. And the guy who needed to walk the most said this “ I now see why you walk. I’m in my 3rd round walking and it is remarkable how much more I’ve enjoyed the day “. Then citied how he felt like he had a mental reset between shots , and how he hadn’t felt rushed once as he regularly did from a cart. I hope this kills cart use .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I doubt carts are going anywhere since it's a revenue stream for courses. My course is cart only on weekends before 11 or 12 during daylight savings, so I'm riding when I play on Saturday mornings now. Too bad since I'm a walker and much prefer it for the reasons already stated.

Saturday there were only 4 of us from the regular group and we each had our own cart, though I saw a number of carts with two people in them.

Carts are the biggest rip off. What the courses do should be illegal. That being, $16 or more for a single to ride. Put a second in the cart and they double the rate.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I’d gladly pay more a month in membership if we only allowed medical carts out. And those required a real doctors note. The whole experience would be better if we didn’t have to see or hear a cart. Not to mention the reduction of wear on the course.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm pretty sure you will change your mind at some point in your life.

We all get old, and don't need a doctors note to make it real.

I'm 72 with no significant medical problems other than age and still capable of walking a golf course- sort of.

If it is a hilly course, a long walk between tee boxes, or hot and humid I will finish; but my energy has run way down by the 14th/15th hole and it's likely I will not finish well.

I often play multiple days in a row, and the cumulative effect of walking definitely slows me down.

Small injuries occur more frequently as you get older. I had an ankle problem off and on for much of last year that was uncomfortable walking but not much of an issue if took a cart.

I prefer walking, but just not practical much of the time.

A doctor doesn't need to write me a note to prove I'm old.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I like to walk up the side of the fairway to help equalize things when playing with people in carts. I just keep walking up the side of the fairway (well out of play, always paying attention to my playing partners, and stopping, waiting, and watching anytime a shot is taken) while the rest of the group finds balls and hits their shots.

That way, I can make up for the relative difference in speed. By the time my playing partners are done I'm up even with my ball and I just have to walk out into the fairway (of course). I even generally have a some time to get set to take my shot while the rest of the group is coming up behind me.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Would be a small inconvenience to get that note when you get the one from the eye doc for driving or for the Handicap placard to park. I don’t say that to be disrespectful. But the idea is to weed out the 40-50 year olds carrying 37 beers.

or. Perhaps an age restriction ? You choose the age. I’d guess 70 and up ?

im not trying to be difficult. But. I play with more than 1 70 plus player who walks. And each can have issues at times in heat. I get it. I also get the aches. Etc. But I also know several 55ish guys who act like it’s a freaking punishment to walk their bags from the parking lot. Pitiful. And they are the reason a lot of am tournaments turn into riding only events. Laziness. Our county am is that way. And it really peeves me off. I intend to make a large stink on that note this year if we get to play the event. Should have the option at least.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm totally with you. I would love nothing more than for carts to be outlawed and golf courses to be designed around walking rather than riding. Screw carts.

Yet, I after thinking about it for a while, I realized that no one cared about my opinion and the vast majority of people seem to feel exactly the opposite. Given the futility of my cause and the inconsequential nature of the issue, I was eventually forced to let it go.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

The issue is that carts are not how the game is supposed to be played. It’s changes the game. Anyone whom has converted from cart to walking will echo that. In other parts of the world they don’t have them except special exceptions. It’s just a form of noise pollution and course wear that is not needed for the majority. It’s not a case of “ other people’s lives “ in the sense of not effecting anyone else. They effect everyone else who plays. From noise to wear on the course to as stated before , impacting most of the amateur tournaments held. They require you to ride a lot.

imagine a game where 99.% walked. The calories burned , the savings on cart path and course maintenance.

to flip the question around. I’m not sure what issue anyone would have with my original post here? I said I helped convert ( along with the current situation ) a guy who swore off walking , into a walker. And he now gets it. As I suspect most would if they were so inclined to get off their butts and try.

not shooting that last part at you , as I know you said you walked a lot . But just at the idea that people will stop playing if they have to walk . This incident proves they won’t . My club which is semi private did a 10 year record for play last Saturday. No carts allowed . Actually set a record for players ... sure , captive audience , but proves that they don’t need carts .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I walk almost exclusively. When the pace of play is 3.5 hours or more, no problems. When it is 3 hours with me as the only walker, I ask my playing partners not to wait for me to get to the tee, and if I am not the longest drive, they should hit if I am not ready. Finally, as others said, After hitting, I will walk ahead in the rough, so I am ready next shot. Finally, when you are a fat man who walks a lot, your legs will get strong.

In thinking about the 14 or so courses that I have played in my area (both those at my home club and other courses in the area), I would judge that about half of them are reasonably walkable. The non-walkable ones are courses with multiple excessively long green to tee hikes.

One course which is now closed (ran into pump problems and lost their greens mid-summer) had one hole with what must have been at least a half mile hike across a swamp. This was NOT a subdivision course, BTW.

dave

Gotta agree and disagree. Your local tournaments I agree. Carts should never be mandatory. For me you are suggesting I play much less golf. I have an ankle replacement in one and Plantar Fasciitis in the other. Not debilitated enough for a handicap sticker but cannot walk four rounds a week comfortably. Tying to figure out why you hate them so for others. Don’t like them? Fine. Do not use them. But don’t try to force others to toe your arbitrary line.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I've been walking most of my rounds this year and I have to say I feel more connected to the course/game when I walk. Some rounds I carry and some rounds I use a push cart. Each has its advantages over the other.

After walking about 10 rounds I hopped in a cart with a friend to play 9 holes and it felt really odd. It felt like we were playing speed golf. The day before he and I played 18 holes walking in just under 3.5 hours, which included waiting on several tee boxes on the back nine for the group in front of us. I didn't feel like we were playing that fast, but when each player can go to his ball it seems to speed things up.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Loving my Alphard conversion on my speed cart.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

At my club I will occasionally walk while the other three ride -

If its cold/windy/cart path only, I can keep upIf its not cart path-only, I'm lagging behind but I play fast so its not a big dealWith the singles in their cart? No way I can keep up

There are so many factors to consider. A private course with good players that play ready-golf? You aren't likely to keep up as a walker, especially if its hilly. A residential private course with 100s of yards between the tees? No way.

Interesting thread. I love to walk and would prefer to walk. That stated, many courses in this area are not designed to walk.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

me and 3 of my friends walked a cours yesterday, majority were in carts with a decently packed t sheet. Got into a little rumble on top of a par 3 when 4 ass hats wanted to know why they kept catching us just teeing off while they were approaching the green. we ignored the first time as it was a minor scream from a far. now they roll up to this par 3 that they skipped the tee box to pursue what was going to be a mistake on their part. The get out of the cart like its on fire, start tossing around names at us and want to play through, my one friend says they can play through as soon as they truly catch us and starts to walk off as i take my putt the little fellow with the big friends gets out of his cart to try and block my buddy from walking away from his big dog friend, never sets the brake for his cart and rolls backward then down a little hill right into a pond. needless to stay that infuriated them even more that his bag was submerged and the was nose up he comes up and says you think that funny or something along those lines we say yes sir we do. goes for a right hook to my dome i pretty much push him back he comes at me again, i put him to the ground knee to chest holding his wrists to his chest just making sure this was the route he wants to take, meanwhile i see my buddy get blindsided , i pop this guy one go take down another and before i know it I'm going in on this guy and then finally get ripped off by i guess the next group behind them . once i get pulled up and walk around there is just carts and people everywhere screaming etc etc. spoke our peace to the next group that came and broke it up and we pressed on. we made it like 3 more holes and we just B lined it for the club house, as i was to wound up as was everyone else in my group. we thought we would never see these guys again as they were going to be trying to get the car out of the pond. we approach the club house and here's the police looking for some walkers to our description and our names . we tell him what happened, he took our numbers down and says he will be in touch. we tell him where to find the other guys in the pond. i have yet to hear anything but the day is still young and with everything else going on in the world I'm sure they have better things to do then file whatever the others are going to try and say.

ps before that occurred i was really enjoying my new soft stepped shafts i installed myself friday evening!