I500 vs. P790

Chappie11

Looking for some insight or reviews if you have hit either of these clubs. Was all ready to purchase a new set of irons, but now with the shelter in place everything will be closed to April.

These are the two irons I’m interested in. If you have hit either one or both, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

I just had with a fitting at Modern Golf here in Calgary. I was looking for more help with my irons, so we looked at the P790's, i500's, Forged Tec's and Apex's.

I can't hit the P790's for the life of me, and can't figure out why. The Apex's weren't much better.

It came down to the Cobra's and the Ping's with the Aldila NV 95 and Accra 100i shafts.

For me, I consistently hit the i500's better. 91-93 mph swing speed, 125-127 mph ball speed, 105-115 ft height, and 45º+ descent angle on the 6 iron. To me, they felt similar but I had overall better numbers with the i500's using the Accra shaft. I'm still working on bad sequencing and a nasty over the top move, so there's still room for improvement. Even in the booth, neither club had a sound that offended me. Like any any club if you hit the sweet spot the feeling is great, but I could tell where I missed on the i500's more accurately than with the Cobra's.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the Cobra's have a thicker topline and a little more offset (to my eye). But honestly, I could play either from their visual appearance.

Once this isolation thing calms a little I'm going to try and source a few test irons with the Accra 100i, MMT 105 and KBS TGI 100 shafts before commiting. I've even considered the new Sub70 699 Pro as an iron similar to the i500. Not sure yet

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I play the P790 with the stock DG105 shaft. My handicap is also around 6. For me, there were two significant differences between the P790 and i500, feel and ball flight.

With my ball, the TP5, the i500 felt hollow and clicky on good impacts and borderline harsh on marginal ones. The P790 was significantly different. If you play a softer ball, or graphite shaft, your response may be different.

My ball flight and numbers were very similar in nature, if not absolute distance, to the Michael Newton video. Particularly with the PW-7, the P790’s fly very high. If you’re already a borderline too high hitter, or play in windy conditions where trajectory control is critical, the P790’s may not be the optimal choice. The i500 was lower and spun less.

The P790 also has a design choice that can punish certain players players, perhaps including the other poster. CG. As Taylor Made graphically shows, the tungsten weight location is at the 4th groove. Flippers and thinners beware.

I7PCKPGD6DX9.jpeg

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

p790 and i500 both not so good on thin shots, I did a post on this ,,, it's a hollow head thing

I have a set of 790's and I tested an i500 six iron. I LOVED THE LOOK of the i500, sad they didn't work for my swing

T-mb were the same for me as well, atrocious on slightly thin misses .. they got worse in shorter clubs.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I own both, I play one set in the summer in the north and the other set in Arizona in winter. I play 5i on up with the i500 and 4i on up with the P790. Both are excellent, long and high, the i500 maybe a touch longer and higher but I’m not totally sure of that. I am almost 76 years old, 5-6 handicap, good ball striker, regaining lost distance. I hit these clubs over one club longer than the iBlades that I played previously. VERY easy to hit for any good ball striker, and very forgiving for what they are. I don’t know what people are talking about when I read things like inconsistent ball flight and loud noise and harsh feel; hit them where you are supposed to and they are totally consistent, and they feel great to me, very soft, part of which may be in the graphite shafts I play in both - I would say that the P790 is slightly softer and quieter. What appeals to me, other than the fact that I now hit my irons almost as far as ever, is the look. I have never liked the the look of game improvement clubs at address. I prefer minimal offset, compact head, thin top line, narrower sole - what I grew up with. Either of these clubs has much of the look of a traditional muscle-back, but waaayy easier to play for somebody of my skill level.

Very little to choose from, performance-wise. Throw a dart or buy the best deal.

• Like 2

I switched to i500 from PXG Gen 2. After reshafting with C Taper Tour 120S, these are my irons of choice. I do not find the feel harsh at all. Consistent distances, attractive look and can work the ball both ways. I am a big fan. They look better that the 790 IMHO.

In either club, ball flight will be a matter of shaft and loft combinations as it relates to your swing. I do not believe that you will be disappointed with either club -- just make sure you get fit with the right shaft.

• Like 1

I own the first gen P790's & the i500's. i500's win on looks for me but both are actually decent looking. Feel goes to the P790's. The i500's just don't feel as soft. I switch to a lower compression ball when I have the i500's in the bag. Not much in it as far as distance goes. If I got 150 yards to green I hit an 8 iron with either set. Can't speak to much about workability. I don't try to really work the ball to much intentionally.

You'll find on this site that the i500's are very polarizing. Folks either lover them or hate them. I do hope the next generation of the i500's have better feel though. They have probably heard often that some people aren't crazy about the feel, so I'm guessing that Ping will address that issue on the next gen.

Don't pass on the Cobra Forged Tec 20's. They are similar to the 790's & i500's. Less expensive too. Feel slightly better than the 790's to me, but I guess that's subjective.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I hit both last spring at my local demo days. Ended up buying my I500’s with KBS Tour 120 shafts, and Cushion inserts (I’m 64 and like the cushion). Also bought the Power Spec to keep the height down a bit. It’s usually very windy here. I still hit them plenty high, but gained some distance and love the feel, but you do need to compress the ball with the I500’s.

Titleist TSi2 driver, 11 deg, Tensi Reg shaft

Titleist TSi2 16.5 4 wood, Tensi Stiff shaft

Titleist 915H 4 Hybrid, Diamana Reg shaft

Titleist T300 irons, 5-PW, AW

Titleist Vokey 54 wedge

Callaway JAWS 58 wedge

PING PLD Tyne 4 Milled 35"

2022 Yamaha Drive2 PTV-Atomic Flame

Here is some more fodder to consume before pulling the trigger......both the 2019 P790 and i500 are included.

DRIVERS (TBD):  COBRA DARKSPEED LS Tour 9*, Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 60s //  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Wow, except for the Mizuno's, I tried every single one of those heads during my fitting

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

I have all of those irons in the video. Along with 0211. I’m playing hmb because they look and feel the best to me. I500 looks second best IMO. Yes, it sounds a little harsher than p790, but only if you miss it. When it’s centered it’s just as butter. Like someone said, all are awesome. Can’t go wrong. Pick the one with a shaft that fits, you like the look of, and maybe get a deal on. They are all fantastic.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

Prefer the look, feel and performance of the i500s. But if you are looking for that genre of iron, HMB have a better feel to me. Look and perform great too! Others to test, Cobra King Tec. is a sleeper.

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Had mine for about a month now. 4 rounds, 3 walking 1 cart. Tiny amount of bag chatter but still looking pretty brand new. I've heard about the finish issues too and I've been keeping an eye on them and haven't seen anything bad at all. Also, the longer term reviews mention the scratches come out strong but fade away as they get used more.

Fitting was good. Craig Dale put me through the wringer, lol. They definitely have more shaft/head options than anything else around here, and adding more every day.

You are correct, just opened, and still getting settled amidst the virus stuff. Currently they're only taking fitting sessions and staggering them far enough apart to give them time to clean between. At least, that's what they were doing last week.

I'm a mental case, however, and can't seem to hit the ball well indoors (hitting bay, simulator, dome . . .), so he had a challenge. lol I had an initial assessment on my driver on the opening Saturday, too. I ended up with the magic combination of the KBS TD 'Category 3' 60g shaft in a Cobra Speedzone 9º driver.

I don’t think there is a lot to worry about. I’ve been playing the i500 for - guessing here - 80 rounds. As I indicated in my post above, I strongly disagree with comments I have read elsewhere about this club being noisy or harsh-feeling or inconsistent in distance. Hit them reasonably well and none of these things are a problem.

Now I would add concerns about the finish to the list of non-problems. The only thing that I notice with the finish is, in spots where there is ongoing rubbing with other clubs in the bag, there is a burnishing effect on the finish, which makes the spot shiny. And there are chatter marks where there has been inconsistent bouncing from adjacent clubs. I used to collect old silver dollars (before they weren’t silver anymore). If you know about things like “mint state” old silver dollars with satin/frosted fields, you can visualize what I am saying. The pristine, frosted fields got chatter marks in them at the time they were dropping out of the presses, onto each other, at the mint, and when they would bounce along in $1000 bags and rub against each other, off to wherever they were headed. These clubs remind me of that look, which was entirely acceptable; overall, the appearance of the back of the club remains satin/frosted, but if you look closely there are shiny rubbings and chatter marks, like a normal, mint state silver dollar. This does not seriously detract, in my view. Compare this to forged and plated musclebacks, that look like s*** after a while because they are soft and full of little dents, and the shiny chrome plating amplifies every possible imperfection. No comparison. I would argue that any iron that has a highly polished finish is going to look no better and probably worse than these irons, given the same amount of service - IMHO.

I’ve decided that I’m going to bite the bullet and buy the i500 when ping opens back up. I just love the look of them.

The next thing i need to worry about now is shafts. I was fitted into oban ct which are crazy expensive and hard to get, but they feel absolutely amazing and are unbelievably smooth.

I hit the Oban CT 100 and they are amazing for steel. I switched from KBS Tour / DG S300 to Steelfiber 95 years ago. If I really wanted to play steel and pay more than graphite, the Oban CT 100 would be my choice. Also not bad in feel department were the $taper lites.

Not sure what weight Oban you hit but if you are considering spending that cash and aren’t opposed to graphite, Oban also makes a graphite iron shaft. I would also try the KBS offerings.

You can’t go wrong with either the i500 or the P790. Both are great hitting clubs. All else being equal, I would always go with Ping because I have confidence in them to build excellent clubs and to be there after the sale. I have played Ping irons for over 25 years and Ping would always be my first choice among equals. I live in Phoenix part of the year, and I get over to the factory for service when I have a problem or need an adjustment, and I can see with my own eyes how they operate - they are a class act in every way. No manufacturer is immune from problems, and Ping had an early problem with the i500 cracking at the face weld. I thought I saw something developing with a couple of mine, but I wasn’t sure. I took them in, they took one look and told me that they were replacing the entire set. That was on a Tuesday. I played my original i500s for my Wednesday game and picked up the replacements on Thursday morning. Problem gone. THAT is service! When it came time for me to get a second set of irons for when I am up north I wanted to try something different rather than just duplicate the i500, which is how I got the P790. For me, these players distance clubs with the hollow body and forged face and traditional look at address are the biggest advance in irons in a long time. As I always say, they go so high and far that they make me feel young again! Good luck.

You are going to love them!!!! I just received mine last Tuesday, they shipped out just before Ping closed do to Covid-19.

i got fitter and I want you to know I hit everything. I am a 9 handicap and I have played Forged clubs most my life, mainly Mizuno but most recently coming from Nike VR Pro Combos. I don’t get to play as much as I use to but more importantly I hurt my back about three months ago and swing speed in less than it use to be. I also have issue getting the ball up now and I’m only 38 years old.

i hit the Titleist T200, P790, Cobra King Forged Tec and I500’s. It came down to the P790’s and the I500’s. Coming from VR Pros Combo these two looked best from the top. Thinner top line and I love how they still look like a players club.

Im not sure what people are hearing or feeling with the I500’s and them being “harsh”. Look when I hit the sweet spot they feel great! When I don’t, yeah they don’t feel good and they shouldn’t. I want to know when I miss hit something not have a false positive. But the biggest reason I went with the I500’s was because when I did miss hit one I didn’t get punished like I did on the P790’s. There was a major yardage difference with the P790’s with the exact same shaft and that is mist important to me.

if your open to graphite try UST Recoil Smac Wrap. First time for me and I love them. I hope this helps

• 7 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 1:25 PM, Stinger83 said:

I like ping stuff - but I'd still have to give the edge to the P790. I think they feel/sound better. Personally I think the i500 is a good "first try" for ping in this category but I think they need to improve the feel/sound of the i500

Fully agree....   Ping will be losing an opportunity if they don't  improve the cavity acoustics on the i500  ---  No foam, spheres or magic gel ?  In addition for folks that like the look of these irons, blueprints and general looks....  They have real competition from Sub 70 now!  I have a combo set I purchased a few months ago, and the performance, looks and sound are outstanding. Sub 70 will only improve unless one of the big guys buy them out!  

• Like 1

G410 Plus 10.5
G410  3W 16d
RogueX 17 22 H

Sub70 699Pro 6 - 9

T20 PW
CBX 52 56 60
Newport 2