2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Lightweight Stand Bags

how is the layout and size of the top of the bag?

that is what I struggled with most. Loved the 2.5+ size. It's huge compared to all others. I really liked the material of the Titleist Carbon the most. Haven't seen a CEL in person but sounds like the material is good quality. It my only gripe with my K1-LO so far. It's better (to me) than the 2.5+ material but not by much. The straps have just set the K1-Lo apart for me. Super padded and comfy and the way the bag sits on my back is perfect.

I DO Want that extra pocket on the Ping bag tho. The mizuno just has one huge ball/tee/divot tool pocket. Would love the dual pocket like the CEL has.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I did a strap transplant tonight on my 2.5+, now the SM EZ-Fit is on the bag. Will see how it works out over a full 18 tomorrow.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Great thread, as I've been following and I'm in the same hunt. As a walker, I've owned more bags than I can remember and have had the 2.5+, Carbon, Craz-e Lite and K1-LO in hand and in home tested. As of now, I'm sticking with the K1-LO...it works the best for me (lightest, no club tangle and I play Mizunos). However, I don't like the straps at all. I'm not a fan of thick padded straps, as they sit high, unstable and tend to slide around while carrying. I prefer wide and thinner...which makes me still consider the Craz-e Lite, as it was the most comfortable of all the bags. If I can find better straps for the K1-LO...I may "unfollow" this thread...HA!

For those swapping out their Sun Mountain straps to the "EZ-???"....does anybody want to sell their "X-Strap" straps/pads? I'm really looking for the original Sun Mountain 2Five X straps in black or navy, as those were the best straps IMO. I plan on adding them to my K1-LO and will update later.

Top seems about the same as the k1. Since Mizuno had to replace my first one, I am using a small valuables pouch for my tees, ball markers etc. Use a carabiner to attach to towel holder.

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

The towel holder on all these carry bags scare me. They don't feel like they will hold much. I used a sinch Bag that I put In the large side pocket that holds all my tees and sharpie.

Oh wow. The straps are easily my favorite part of the bag. lol. Funny how one person's favorite is another's least favorite. Without the straps on the k1-LO, i probably would have moved to the 2.5+. (Still haven't seen a CEL in person).

Although I'm out of shape and my legs are sore as heck today, I have to say the EZ-Fit straps are a massive improvement on the 2.5+. Padding is probably a prefence thing but the way the harness piece makes the straps sit seemed to balance the bag out much better. It took maybe 5 minutes at home to adjust them perfectly, while I never felt like I got the X-Strap working. I can't wait for the curve to flatten because right now water stations are pulled from the course, so I'm using a bigger towel and water bottle which is adding quite a bit of weight to the setup.

I now have a black strap on a navy bag, but my rangefinder case and towels are black so it just looks like a basic two-tone color scheme.

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

My 2020 SM 2.5+ just arrived, really impressed with how far this bag has come since the release of he original 2.5. I think the top on the 2020 is a significant improvement over the 2018/19, in particular the plastic collar around the top is much higher quality, similar to what you'd find on a 2018 4.5LS. Always liked the slanting bottom dividers on SM bags, but actually prefer the new design on the 2.5+. No complaints about the X-strap system, no slipping of straps which I understand was an issue for some in the past, and the padding is more than adequate. Also very happy with the material which, while not at the level of my 4.5LS, looks like it should hold up pretty well. Number and layout of pockets as well as the water bottle holder are also well positioned and functional.

So very pleased with the bag overall, but asking myself how much of a difference 2 lbs. can make when carrying for 18 holes. The 2.5+ weighs exactly 2 lbs. less (3.1 lbs. vs 5.1lbs. with strap and rain hood) than my 4.5LS. Obviously I can feel the difference when I load the two bags up, but it represents maybe a 10% weight reduction on a fully loaded bag. I'm in good walking shape, is the weight reduction worth the money?

Will be walking for first time today (full 18) with mizuno. We shall see

+1, and having less pockets make you reconsider what you actually need. Especially if your parking lot or locker room are located by the turn. When I used my pushcart it was typical to carry a dozen balls or so, just because I could, plus multiple towels and other stuff.

• Like 2

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

walked 18 for the first time with my 2.5+ today. It is so light that I needed to keep double checking to make sure I didn’t leave a club somewhere.

Titleist TSR3 10° | Ventus Blue VeloCore+

Titleist TSi2 16.5° | AD DI 7 

Titleist TSi2 21° | AD DI 8 

Srixon ZX5 4-GW | Modus3 105

Taylormade MG4 | 54SB  58SBC

Swag Golf DGAP Handsome One | LAGolf P-Series 135

ProV1X

Love mine today. Muddy as hell out there tho. Great walk tho from being cooped up inside for two weeks. Man, never even considered the placement of Velcro, but it is perfect on the bag. Straps were still my fav, that and the weight. As long as the bag holds up (material wise), I'll be happy.

Used my mizuno k1-lo

QRFZM4BISOMX.jpeg

UPAU5WQY75RT.jpeg

• Like 1

“As long as the bag holds up (material wise), I’ll be happy.”

Have to say, this is my concern with both the Mizuno and the Ping CEL. Will they really hold up to several seasons of use? I am a bit of a stickler, I try to buy things that are built to last. Even if something doesn’t actually break/tear, I can’t imagine either of those bags is going to still look sharp in a couple of years. The more I research bags for “walking” the more I am leaning toward a Sunday type bag and letting the stand go. Fine to keep a set of tressel sticks in the bag just in case but otherwise I think what you gain in reduced weight and simplicity more than offsets the loss of convenience of a built in stand.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Thanks to this thread, I decided to dust off an old SM 2.5 bag that has been sitting in the corner of my garage. I always walk, but started using a push cart a couple years ago because of a neck problem. With the coronavirus thing going on, I decided to give carrying a try again. My Titleist 4 Sta-Dry is a very nice bag, but once I loaded it up with a sand bottle and enough water to get me trough nine holes, it was kind of a load. I definitely felt beat at the end of the round.

I was very pleasantly surprised how good the SM 2.5 was! It is prolly 6-7 years old (I got it second hand) and it is an excellent design. It holds everything I want to carry, and is very light and balanced on my back. I am a convert now!

EDIT: It is Swift-X bag

Fair point. However, I'm not willing to sacrifice clubs for a bag. I just can't bring myself to drop to 10 or so clubs to have a lighter load/heavier duty bag. Nor did i want a single strap bag or one that lays on the ground. All of the ultra-light bags have ultra-light materials and that was a sacrifice i was willing to accept moving this direction. If it last 2 years, I'll be happy. Anything longer, I'll be ecstatic. We all have priorities in what's important to us. Luckily we all have options. Good luck.

I agree about not giving up being able to carry a full set and not caring for single straps. I have basically narrowed down to the Mizuno/CEL or the Shapland Sunday bag. Just have to decide which is more important to me, durability or lightness. Either way this thread has been incredibly helpful. Thanks to all that have participated.

P.S. Just curious, is your username a reference to Dave Matthews Band?

• Like 2

Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

it is indeed. i set up the account years ago, but yes sir. big DMB fan since '93

A good quality ultralight bag (Sun Mtn, PING, Mizuno, etc) will last me for 5 to 10 years no problems. I take great care of my stuff, and I only play 20 to 25 rds/year. That said, I'll move on from any bag well before it wears out. Like to mix things up.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Same here and I go back that far too. Am I correct in assuming you lived or went to school in Virginia? Those were the days....

Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

I also have enjoyed this thread.

I have a really old SM 2.5 bag. I’m not even sure how old it is, I bought it when they first came out, it was a close out without the logo.

It’s starting to wear out. I have been lazy in the past where I just threw tees in the ball pocket after the round instead of putting them back in my cinch bag.

And when I use the bag on my Rovic with my eWheels, the tires rubbed on the ball and garment pockets. So I have a couple holes in the bigger pockets.

I’m looking to replace.

I’m trying to decide on another 2.5+ from DG or going to a Jones or Shapland bag. I can get 2 2.5 bags for less than the price of one Shapland! But, they so so good...

i did not. i was only 13 in '93 (born in 1980) but my cousins did and introduced me to the band on 12/31/93 show. i have been following ever since and now will be 40 this year. been to many many shows (somewhere in the upper 50s), but that has slowed with life and kids now.

Ok, I was lucky enough to be in college then (Virginia Tech), first saw DMB playing fraternity houses and bars like Trax and Floodzone. My brother was a little bit older, went to UVA and remembers seeing Dave playing Beatles covers by himself at house parties. We all knew he/they were incredible but I don't think any of us realized they would blow up as big as they did.

Anyway, glad you are liking the Mizuno, if I had to buy a stand bag that's the one I would go with at this point. The Ping seems good too but the heavily padded straps and more traditional style seal the deal for the Mizuno.

• Like 1

Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

I traded a couple of emails with the founder of Shapland, he said the Stand Bag 2.0 is still on target for June, is going to be a little bit different material that's slightly lighter but expects the bag to still come in right at 5 pounds. I want to be at 3.5 or less so if I go with Shapland it would have to be the Sunday bag. They are the best blend of modern (i.e double straps and lots of pockets) and old school I have been able to find and the construction appears to be second to none. Only problem is, when you buy the bag + a set of tressel sticks you are in for about $325... ugh!

Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

• GooseHook changed the title to Lightweight Stand Bags