2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone playing the PXG 0211 and having issues due to high bounce on these irons?

So, can someone tell me their thoughts on the bounce of the PXG 0211 irons please. It seems extremely high compared to other brands I have seen and scares me a bit about possibly purchasing. I have hit them indoors only and they felt quite nice. That said, wonder how this will play in the real world. Handicap index 7.6 , play public courses almost exclusively. Thanks in advance!

I play Regular Rogue irons now and looking for something with better feel and good performance.

Currently with the soft conditions I've had nothing but pleasure with them. I could see if you play off hard pan and can nip the ball, maybe, but I dunno about this whole high bounce thing being super turrble..

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

High bounce?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

High bounce is good! The sole isn't particularly wide so the bounce won't have a huge impact anyway.

As an aside, how much bounce on your sand wedge and do you have any issues hitting it from the fairway. Most sand wedges have something in the range of 12 degrees of bounce and very few people struggle with contact on full shots (which goes to show, high bounce won't cause issues.)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Thank you all for your comments and answers! Interesting comparison to Ping i210, looked at those specs and they are almost the same and only ones I have seen that also have these high numbers. Would be great to hear from some more who is actually playing them. Interesting, the help tec at PXG suggested I order them one degree stronger loft to reduce the effective bounce of each iron. From what I have read every degree up or down equals a degree up or down of bounce. In regard to sand wedge, I hit my MacDaddy 54 degree pretty well off of turf with full swings but it is not as consistent or confidence inspiring on really tight lies as my AW or PW. Thanks again all!

Never had any issues with my 0211’s even when hitting off the mat. But I do hit it better in the grass than off that mat’s. I have a steep attack angle. So the clubs might actually help me somewhat on that issue. I probably have 15 rounds and 30+ range sessions and still love my clubs. Now my putters...

Kevin, thank you for the insight and happy to hear you like your clubs. I have a shallow attack angle/flatter swing which is why I am a bit concerned. I seemed to hit them well in the fitting studio but have no way to hit outdoors. When I told tech rep via email that I have a flatter swing and was concerned that is when he suggested 1 degree stronger loft however at fit session fitter did not comment on that but we did not discuss bounce at that time.

If your hands come through ahead of the face—which is a move most golfers do whether they realize it or not—you’re dynamically (sp?) delofting, defacto lowering the bounce anyway.

people forget that point a lot and go for a super low bounce club, then ax chop it into the ground, sprain their wrists, and take up meth.

high bounce is the best high. Not meth.

• Haha 1
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Dan, good point, I tend to use a fairly strong forward press in my set up which does deloft the club and hence bounce as well. My concern stems from what seemed to be much higher bounce on the 0211 than most other brands. That said, certainly want to avoid broken wrists and meth. BTW, these were numbers for 0211 vs Apex Pro which I am also considering (and actually felt the best but are really $$) from my fitting, If any fitters out there would love your take.

FQTBVQH46USS.png

• Like 1

They're harder to find as demo irons but they're out there. A fitter loaned me two of them to try out before I formally ordered up. Wrong shafts but I was more concerned about turf interaction and they, quite honestly, operate in my mere mortal paws like a really sweet feeling forgiving-but-still-good-looking-at-address PING iron.

I grew up on the PING "feel" and it's pretty obvious the brains behind these escaped the Solheim compound with their full R&D kit in place.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Bumping this old thread to see if anyone has had a similar experience to me with these clubs...

For whatever reason they dig badly with my swing.  Hitting off a mat or if I just barely brush the grass they're great.  Incredibly forgiving.  But man if I take a normal swing with a good divot I've never felt so much resistance in the turf.  To the point where they're just not playable for me.   Of course, your mileage may vary.

-Mag

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 7:55 PM, TrunkSlammerchicago said:

So, can someone tell me their thoughts on the bounce of the PXG 0211 irons please. It seems extremely high compared to other brands I have seen and scares me a bit about possibly purchasing. I have hit them indoors only and they felt quite nice. That said, wonder how this will play in the real world. Handicap index 7.6 , play public courses almost exclusively. Thanks in advance!

I play Regular Rogue irons now and looking for something with better feel and good performance.

Turf interaction is one of the most important issues in iron fitting. It's one of my main beefs with strictly indoor fittings using only a monitor.  Turf interaction and seeing actual ball flights are critical.

• Like 1

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

I play PXG 0211DC irons and also have a shallow angle of attack. I have no issues whatsoever with turf interaction, digging or any  other concerns with the higher than average bounce with these irons. Bounce to me is only an issue with wide soled wedges used while chipping on tightly mown areas around the green or with bunker shots. On full swings from the fairway I don't really notice any difference with high or low bounce irons. I came from Mizuno HM Pro's, which were lower bounce than my PXG's, but I can honestly say the bounce difference is a non-factor with my ball striking. As you are aware, with  a proper iron shot the ball is gone before the divot is cut.

21 hours ago, Kmagnuss said:

Bumping this old thread to see if anyone has had a similar experience to me with these clubs...

For whatever reason they dig badly with my swing.  Hitting off a mat or if I just barely brush the grass they're great.  Incredibly forgiving.  But man if I take a normal swing with a good divot I've never felt so much resistance in the turf.  To the point where they're just not playable for me.   Of course, your mileage may vary.

-Mag

It's not the bounce, the sole is too wide. That's it.  I had a set of these for a season, bent weak as a 42* PW and 22* 5i didn't fit the slots I needed filled and they were great in the spring and end of summer/fall, but almost unusable in the summer sometimes when it got dry and burnt out.  Now, it was sort of my fault because I never checked the specs, I just assumed (silly me!) that they would be correct.  However, they were all over the place.  Some were 4* weak, some were not touched at all.  I think the 6i and 7i were within 1* of loft of one another.  I measured them myself on a gauge I have been using forever, so I trust they were wrong.  Unfortunately, the metal on these is fairly brittle as well and I snapped the hosel of my 5i trying to bend it back to spec and PXG wanted nothing to do with me when I reached out, saying I should have sent them back.  I told them I had been in the industry for 20 years, I know how to bend a club and sometimes they just fail.  Nope, not our problem you're SOL.  I pulled the shafts, bent the rest back to as close to standard as I felt comfortable doing, reshafted them for my pops, and moved on.  I wasn't going to struggle for another year trying to play will they/won't they depending on if it rained or not.  I understand my current Pings have decent bounce as well, but for whatever reason these seem cleaner through the turf.

• Like 1

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

• 6 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 6:56 AM, WristySwing said:

It's not the bounce, the sole is too wide. That's it.  I had a set of these for a season, bent weak as a 42* PW and 22* 5i didn't fit the slots I needed filled and they were great in the spring and end of summer/fall, but almost unusable in the summer sometimes when it got dry and burnt out.  Now, it was sort of my fault because I never checked the specs, I just assumed (silly me!) that they would be correct.  However, they were all over the place.  Some were 4* weak, some were not touched at all.  I think the 6i and 7i were within 1* of loft of one another.  I measured them myself on a gauge I have been using forever, so I trust they were wrong.  Unfortunately, the metal on these is fairly brittle as well and I snapped the hosel of my 5i trying to bend it back to spec and PXG wanted nothing to do with me when I reached out, saying I should have sent them back.  I told them I had been in the industry for 20 years, I know how to bend a club and sometimes they just fail.  Nope, not our problem you're SOL.  I pulled the shafts, bent the rest back to as close to standard as I felt comfortable doing, reshafted them for my pops, and moved on.  I wasn't going to struggle for another year trying to play will they/won't they depending on if it rained or not.  I understand my current Pings have decent bounce as well, but for whatever reason these seem cleaner through the turf.

Feeling similarly.  I came from Pings with wider soles and slightly less bounce [but still high].  Struggling with more badly punished thin shots [in pretty dry/hard summer conditions] than I'd like with the 0211 xcor2's.  Turf interaction hasn't been great either. 

I'm always happy to take some extra distance, but even these stock lofts were too strong for my gapping, and I'm regretting ordering them 1* weak due to the 14* bounce at the bottom of the bag.  I may have to return them -the whole recipe just isn't quite it for a tall, shallow picker like me

On 8/20/2023 at 9:01 PM, klharper said:

Feeling similarly.  I came from Pings with wider soles and slightly less bounce [but still high].  Struggling with more badly punished thin shots [in pretty dry/hard summer conditions] than I'd like with the 0211 xcor2's.  Turf interaction hasn't been great either. 

I'm always happy to take some extra distance, but even these stock lofts were too strong for my gapping, and I'm regretting ordering them 1* weak due to the 14* bounce at the bottom of the bag.  I may have to return them -the whole recipe just isn't quite it for a tall, shallow picker like me

I agree with this completely.  As I mentioned before, I have moved to i525.  They feel slightly worse, but the thinner soles, more attractive appearance (more closely resemble a blend of 0311 P and T than the XP which is what the 0211 is based on) and reduced bounce have been a huge bonus for me.  I am the lowest handicap I have been in close to a decade and I owe it in large part to higher GIR and closer proximity with these irons than I ever had with the PXGs.  Having said that, I still wish I could find something that is like i525 but in a PXG head for the feel.  I am pretty close to ordering a set of Gen5 T ... but we will see.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips